• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did I make a huge .223 rifle mistake ?

BigJones

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2012
Bought and learning on a nice Savage FP-SR .223. Have grown to love target shooting (im pretty new to the sport). Shot over 1500 rounds last summer. But now with all of this assault weapons ban talk, I cant find good match ammo anywhere to purchase.

Some have mentioned reloading, but im not that far along yet. Im wondering if I should sell the rifle and buy a .308 but I hate to as one of the limitations is ammo cost.

Unsure of whats going to happen with the sports I have grown to love.

Re: Did I make a huge .223 rifle mistake ?

.308 ammo isnt any easier to find right now.

I reload for 308 and am seriously considering doing the same for 223 since it's damn near impossible to find that crap anywhere. Oh and just a tip, buy a crap ton of primers.

Problem is I have no brass, no anything really saved.

Do you think it will get better or worse by this summer as far as factory match ammo ?

Wait a few months and supply will start to (slowly) catch up to demand.

Or better yet, place an order with Southwest Ammo for their 77gr offerings and you'll see it by the end of February.

Tell me more about Southwest Ammo?

I see they are advertising a 2 week wait on most items which isnt bad at all.

My rifle really likes Black Hills 69gmatchkings red I wonder how thier stuff would compare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem is I have no brass, no anything really saved.

Do you think it will get better or worse by this summer as far as factory match ammo ?</div></div>

You don't need a lot of brass just a few boxes
of ammo to start reloading. I know surplus ammo is all out of stock but
you should be able to find a couple of boxes of match ammo.

Right now the biggest problem you would have is finding small
primers.

Really just let all this buying frenzy run it's course .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me more about Southwest Ammo? </div></div>

Southwest is labeled 5.56. Unless you have a Wylde chamber I would not suggest shooting this in your .223.

I have some Copper Creek .223 that shoots damn well in a 8 twist. You may have to call them as I don't see it on their website.

as a nato caliber, in the long run there's very little chance you've made a big mistake as the 5.56 is globally one of the most abundant types of ammo available. so once everything dies down over here, you should be alright. though the timeframe is indefinite.

BigJones, if you are serious about reloading and are in a pinch for brass, I have some once fired (from an AR) mixed headstamp .223 that I can pass your way to get you started. PM me if you need it.

Send me a PM or give me a call 505-859-0316

No reason to get rid of your 223. If you have brass fired from your rifle, it can be remanufactured. If you don't have fired brass from your rifle (gave it away, left it at range, etc.) I've got virgin brass that can be used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought and learning on a nice Savage FP-SR .223. Have grown to love target shooting (im pretty new to the sport). Shot over 1500 rounds last summer. But now with all of this assault weapons ban talk, I cant find good match ammo anywhere to purchase.

Some have mentioned reloading, but im not that far along yet. Im wondering if I should sell the rifle and buy a .308 but I hate to as one of the limitations is ammo cost.

Unsure of whats going to happen with the sports I have grown to love. </div></div>

DUDE... If I had to rely on factory loaded match ammo, I'd give up shooting and take up Badminton (again).

Seriously - even the most basic Lee press, dies, measure, and scale will get you in the reloading game. Equaling factory match ammo performance is not difficult.

Absolutely start loading. It really isn't difficult, though it is very important to get right. You can likely find a mentor if you ask around a local club.

Components are difficult to find right now, but that makes this the perfect time. You can find small amounts of supplies, and you will need to spend some time learning anyway. By the time you figure it all out, hopefully the shortage will have let up a little and you will have better ammo for even less money than before.

Hell, from what I've seen, commercial .223 match ammo costs about as much as .308 match ammo. Both is hard as hell to find. True savings of .223 don't add up until a guy gets into reloading .223 Rem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me more about Southwest Ammo? </div></div>

Southwest is labeled 5.56. Unless you have a Wylde chamber I would not suggest shooting this in your .223.

I have some Copper Creek .223 that shoots damn well in a 8 twist. You may have to call them as I don't see it on their website. </div></div> I shoot SW Ammo 5.56 in my .223 bolt all the time, no issues...as do a lot of people.

SW Ammo, Copper Creek, McCourt Ammo etc, all the ammo guys on here make great stuff.

Re: 5.56 in a 223

I know that topic has been beaten to death a thousand times, but Savage 223s are known for having freebore lengths shorter than 5.56 but longer (0.010" or more) than standard 223 chambers.

I shot some 77 grain SW ammo from my Savage 12 .223, The bolt would barely open after firing. I think I shot 3 rounds.. Too much pressure IMO.

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem is I have no brass, no anything really saved.

Do you think it will get better or worse by this summer as far as factory match ammo ? </div></div>

To get you started see if you can pick up at the local Range(s) you visit. Is better than nothing and will get you started. Definitely reload and just go slow, pay attention to what you are doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought and learning on a nice Savage FP-SR .223. Have grown to love target shooting (im pretty new to the sport). Shot over 1500 rounds last summer. But now with all of this assault weapons ban talk, I cant find good match ammo anywhere to purchase.

Unsure of whats going to happen with the sports I have grown to love. </div></div>

BigJones. We cant help you if you don't know where your located. I've got more than one person into reloading so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

Compare Wylde to .223 to 5.56 and you'll have a better idea of the differences in chambers. Wylde ain't so tight. </div></div>I know what the difference is. Mine was built to shoot .223 and I can still shoot 5.56 ammo out of it perfectly fine. I've shot SW Ammo 5.56 77gr and real Mk262 Mod1...never had an issue, all shoot great.

Crazy, I posted it for general consumption since the topic came up. However, if anybody needs to look at it, it is T2CH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Unsure of whats going to happen with the sports I have grown to love. </div></div> The sport has seen ups and down, and every time it gets just a little worse. Never wait until the rainy day arrives, buy and learn when you can every time you can if your wanting to stay ahead of the sheep.

My Grandfather taught me how to reload 22lr ammo when I was but 8 years old, an .222 Remington a year or so later, when he felt I was up to that ability and could handle the responsibility. To this day, and especially now, I am most great full that he spent the time to be as patient and understanding as he was. The ability to make your own priming mixture and powder is very simple, but most would prefer to hand over the cash, instead of learning how to do something for their self.

Find someone that will take you under their wing in your area, go forth and prosper in the shooting sports. Being the best shooter means nothing if they are out of ammo, or can't repair what they have. Hard work has it's rewards down the road,... most don't hob-la that concept in America any more. They want everything now and that's fine, as long as their hip-national holds out and it's on the shelf.

Start gathering reloading gear. Match grade 223 is what, a buck a round? That means you have dropped $1500+ on ammo and you left the brass behind. Look on AR15.com in the reloading section. There is brass there as well as bullets. I'd scour all the small mom-n-pop shops for supplies as well. Sometimes they get passed over for the big boys. Plus, post your location and some local folks may be able to help you out.

Do you think it will get better or worse by this summer as far as factory match ammo ? </div></div>

Here is a late Christmas present for you. Since you are just starting on the reloading game, if you still want to pursue reloading the 223, I can donate some brass to you. I even have an old RCBS press without the handle, you can have that too.

PM me with your email if interested.

nez rongero

Well is Nez is gonna send that stuff and you commit to reloading, PM as well and I'll get some match projectiles coming your way.

Wow, just a helluva community here! Great to see guys helping out a new member of the sport!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, just a helluva community here! Great to see guys helping out a new member of the sport! </div></div>

+1

The folks at CopperCreekAmmo do a yearly group buy here on Snipershide for 40% off MSRP. Its a bit late now as it ended two weeks ago but something to keep in mind for next year. I got excellent sets of .223 and .308 dies dies that way. You could get a whole reloading setup at 40% off and be well ahead of what I paid little by little piece by piece.

Plenty of surplus brass for sale on gun broker, M14 and AR15 Forums. Reloading is fun and you can find used reloading gear on a number of web sights. I bet there are a number of reloaders in your area that would be happy to show you how to get started.

I enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting, and I can sneak in an hour here and there as opposed to 3 hours it takes to go shooting (door to door).

I assemble .223 reloads with 77 gr SMKs for 29 cents a round (excluding the brass, which starts as once-fired ball ammo).
Of course factoring in the cost of the reloading equipment there is no savings for a while, but I've also run off thousands of rounds of handgun ammo which saves a bundle.

Joe

i read just about the jist of it. (not everyone's replies) but YMMV! I was in the same boat with my .308 it seemed like a lot to take in at once and my head was going to explode but once you get a good system going it starts to smooth itself out. and once you make your loads precise and consistent your groups will tighten a lot like previous posters have said before me.

i started off with a LEE's classic press kit and kind of just either bought brass or collected it from range trips and then bought powder and components.

sometimes its hard to get a good load, but choose one from an ever growing list thats up here on the hide and go with it. i ballparked my first load and it turns out it was a little hot but it worked great in my rifle.

a .223 rifle is great for beginners and for just getting down the fundamentals. i started with a .300 win after somewhat learning on a buddies .308 and decided to go back down to a .308 and put the .300 back on the shelf so i can get fundamentals down again so you're G2G with a .223

hope that helps!

Wow everyone, I cant believe the generosity thats been displayed here. I simply cannot accept your gifts however I appreciate the sentiment so much!

I bought a single stage press from someone local that was looking to dump it. It hasnt been used. I also purchased a reloading book the ABC's of reloading. Ill take some time to read that.

McCourt Ammunition, I do not have any brass so im curious what the cost could be to make me some .223 ammo that could be better than the Red Box 69g SMK that ive been shooting from Black Hills. My rifle really seems to shoot this better than any other commercial ammo ive tried.

I only shoot upward of 400ft so the .223 is perfect for what i do (shooting paper).

Wow everyone, I cant believe the generosity thats been displayed here. I simply cannot accept your gifts however I appreciate the sentiment so much!

I bought a single stage press from someone local that was looking to dump it. It hasnt been used. I also purchased a reloading book the ABC's of reloading. Ill take some time to read that.

McCourt Ammunition, I do not have any brass so im curious what the cost could be to make me some .223 ammo that could be better than the Red Box 69g SMK that ive been shooting from Black Hills. My rifle really seems to shoot this better than any other commercial ammo ive tried.

I only shoot upward of 400ft so the .223 is perfect for what i do (shooting paper).

Guys sorry that posted over and over, i got some type of TomCat error each time I tried to post so i kept trying.

Take up Golf.

just kidding
youll be fine, shit will start to come back once supply catches up with backorders, this should take about 12 months

I have the factory stock on my Savage, do stocks that are aluminum bedded REALLY make my groups tighter with everything else the same ?

I have the factory stock on my Savage, do stocks that are aluminum bedded REALLY make my groups tighter with everything else the same ?