• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did my first net check-in on echolink conference tonight

uffduh

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 1, 2017
    Left me feeling like I was talking to a bunch of fudds. It's probably been suggested before, but what if we set something up for SH hams? I'll even take point on it...no clue how do do it, but I'll finger it out like I do most things. I know there are some new licensees here so maybe worth a shot?

Echo link took any enjoyment out of the hobby for me. But I will say it is entertaining getting into some of the Hawaii links. The pigeon English is strong! I have to have the father in law help me decipher it at times.

A SH one may be dope. As long as it doesn't end up like a lot of the forum discords/telegram groups where everyone becomes doomers.

I get on several networks per week. VHF / UHF simplex, local repeater and linked multi repeater cross platform / band systems.

As small as six - a dozen operators and as large as over 100 at times.
    Not numbers in a room but actively participating in a controlled network.

If the net controll or net logger don't have thier shit together it's just a circle jerk.

It's iether a controlled net or a round table and there is a big difference.

A good place to participate and learn is a local club net or the storm reporters net for something larger.

Got to go, your shithead joe is on tv lying about guns.

I my case I'm pretty much only really interested in direct point to point communications.

If you are relaying your radio stuff through the internet then why bother?
    Sure just because you can is great, but if you have to do that, might as well just use the internet and skip all the FCC regulation BS on what you can and can't say and such. You might as well use one of the really cool internet voice chat room programs.

I could only see it being useful for edge cases where folks without point to point communication ability want to talk to someone that can only do radio and has no other internet access and such odd cases like that.

Repeaters are fun and all, but then you are relying on somebody else's equipment to be up and running and powered.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    All that stuff is just another tool to get where you want.

A good example is NCTC repeater system used for skywarn. It is extensive.