• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Diesel Pickup Truck Options

wvlawyer02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2008
Clarksburg, West Virginia, USA
I am in the market for a diesel pickup either new or used. I have a dual axle dump trailer I'll me hauling few times a month. Any suggestions on make and model? I'm leaning toward a 2011 or 2012 Chevy Duramax.

What do you have??

Re: Diesel Pickup Truck Options

2008 Chevy 2500HD. It's a tank.

To be honest with you. Both me and my father in law own separate service companies. We both used to run almost all diesels. I'm now down to one, that I'm looking to get rid of and he has gotten rid of all of his. The newer diesels are not what the old ones were. With the emissions and fuel changes, I have had nothing but trouble. Tens of thousands of dollars of trouble.

Now, even though the power sucks. We run gas trucks even when hauling dump trailers and bobcats. They work but I do miss the power of a good diesel but not the expense.

Only way I would run one now is if you can get your hands on and older model, pre 1998 and run a fuel additive with each fill up. Or if lets say you will only be putting 10k miles a year on it.

I have a buddy who runs diesel mechanic shop and he has informed about a lot of the issues. He has a 7.3 he said he will never get rid off.

I have 2012 dodge (ram) mega with cummins.

only 2k so far and it has been in shop for front end making horrendous noise and replacing oxygen sensor.

other than that, its been great, tows real well, plenty of power and lots of interior room, which is what I wanted more than a long bed.

Go check them all out and see what you like best. I drove all three. the new ford's seemed to have the best power from my arse seat dyno.

If you are using the trucks to actually tow stuff, they work fine. It is light use/commuting short distances that messes the emission systems up. That being said, my 2005 CTD ran circles around my 2007 economy and powerwise. The new 800 ft/lb 6.7 CTD gets the the thumbs up from the neighbor who recently dumped his 2008 ford 350. FWiW

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. I'm never getting rid of it because the new ones are crap with all the emissions. Luckily my daily work pickup is a 1/2 ton gasser, so I only have 60k on my diesel. It should last me quite a while.

Had a Dodge Mega Cab 4x4, 2008 Diesel, was amazing, till it hit the 900 mile mark. Engine light kept coming on, soot was backing up and was restricting flow in the turbo. I really loved that truck, but that light coming on killed it, took it down and got rid of it, supposedly they have this problem fixed now.

But, personally I'd avoid the Dodge, lean to the Dura/Strokers. Oil changes are insane with the Ford diesel I do not know with the GM.

Quite a few of them running around in town here, they are really gorgeous but I threw in the towel on the diesel world, just got a Ford F-150 fx4 for the wife. Might go back to it one day, but I am going to wait to see how things get sorted post turbo. Like Pyplynr pointed out, oh my lord the emission stuff.

Side note, that jake brake on the Dodge was so awesome when pulling a load on a downhill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. I'm never getting rid of it because the new ones are crap with all the emissions. Luckily my daily work pickup is a 1/2 ton gasser, so I only have 60k on my diesel. It should last me quite a while. </div></div>

ditto, except that I have about 112,000 on mine. The gov provides me work vehicles, so no issues there. But I run mine whenever I can. It hasn't let me down yet. I count on it to drive me home over 2000 miles, and haven't had any issues. It's been up and down this country more times than I can count. I've towed a gooseneck that probably exceeded the max weight raiting, and it had no issues, stopping or going. (a little on the manuvering, but that was my fault)

I run 35" Nitto Grappler A/T tires, a cold air intake, and a 5" exhaust. My last trip home, after replacing the fuel filter, which I should have done a while ago, I got some AWESOME mileage. the lie-o-meter said up to 27mpg. realistically it was probably around 24mpg. I did add about 400lbs of sand in the bed and kept it around 65-70 mph for most of it. it hummed right along.

I won't trade this truck or give it up until it rusts apart or is actually totalled.

I have a 2011 Denali HD Duramax. It is nice and pulls like a beast. However I would recommend a 2007.5-2010 Duramax. It is more mod capable (EFI LIVE) and doesn't require DEF fluid etc.

I have an 04 Duramax 6spd manual with 179K on it. Other than 3 clutches and 3 flywheels, 3 idler arms, both front hubs, 2 sets of batteries, 2 sets of e-brake shoes, right front lower ball joint, 2 glow plug controllers, injector wiring harness, 2 heater actuators, 2 tailgate handle bezels, having to recode the keyfobs every so often, the paint has rubbed off of the radio knobs, and the left tail light bulb 3 or 4 times it's been a really nice truck to own. When it's running it pulls like heck and will climb anything.

2006 Dodge 2500 5.9/auto here. 72k miles and no problems.

Used to haul sprint cars and daily commute.

Unloaded I get about 19-20mpg at 70mph

I've had both the Ford Superduty and Ram diesels. Currently have the 2012 3500 RAM crew with the Cummins. It is probably the best truck I've owned... and I have had quite a few.

I'm not a 'brand loyalist.' Under the sheetmetal, I think they are about all the same. Fanatics will disagree and say things about my ethnic heritage. But IMHO, trucks are trucks.

In addition to plowing, mine gets used to haul car trailers. I could not be happier with the torque or the MPG which is far better than my comparable Ford.

The big six cylinder Dodge is a really nice unit. I've had it just under a year. This one's a keeper.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I Have a 2011 Chevy 2500 duramax, Got 62k on it now. I use it daily to tow bobcats and other equipment. I love mine and think that it has plenty of power and it gets decent millage. But with the prices of fuel these days I am not sure if the diesel trucks are worth the higher cost anymore. There was a guy selling his used duramax on here a few days ago not sure if it is sold yet but it was a really clean truck and that is what I would be looking for if I was buying today.

Walter

I'd go with a older Duramax such as a 06-07 to miss all of the new BS tree hugger systems.

We run 2010/2011 Dodge 2500s and 2011/2012 Ford F250s at work pulling 6-7K pounds daily and trips all over the US. The new 6.7 powerstroke will smoke the 6.7 cummings for power, the PS is a beast and feels like it has a tuner off the show room floor. The Ford is a better truck of the two IMO. The only things I don't like about the 6.7 powerstroke is the DEF fluid and hoping they get the NoX sensor problems straight. A glow plug came apart on one of ours and trashed the engine, they got it replaced in a month.

All of our Duramaxs are 07 and older so no experience with the newer ones, I have read they have power equal to if not more than the 6.7 powerstroke. If that is the case, they have gobs of power. I know they have the DEF junk too though...

2002 Ford 7.3, got one new before they got all f***ed up like everyone else is saying. Been a mechanic with main focus on diesels for 24+ years. Love it, would cry if it gets wrecked cause it really really can't be replaced.

I have a Ford 6.7 now with 30K on it and it has been very good and gets better fuel mileage than anything I have owned. I have had an 07 Duramax and a couple Ford 7.3's and they were all good. I do prefer a solid front axle so I will likely stay with Ford or a Dodge. Almost bought a Dodge this last time but Dodge trucks scare me and my local dealer didn't give me a warm fuzzy in their knowledge of diesels. I think they have the EGR issues solved on the big Cummins now so they will get another look in about 100K miles. So far the Ford has satisfied me pretty good. Would love a Ford truck with an Allison and the 24v 5.9 Cummins. These new diesels would be phenomenal as far as mileage and durability without the EGR, DPF and Urea systems. With all the crap on them now I won't drive them much past the 100K warranty before I trade them and unless I needed a diesel for the stuff I tow they would not be worth the price difference.

i have a 12 ford 6.7 and have pulled bobcats and dump trailers. love the truck it has plenty of power but the DPF system does turn into a Pain in the ass

I currently have a 2012 Ram, haven't had any problems. Haven't towed too heavy yet, about 11,000lbs, and have been very happy with the performance.

FYI, recently the EPA has been cracking down on tuners that allowed deleting emissions equipment, so keep that in mind if you've thought about doing that at all.

i have a 07 Duramax classic body style and with the right mods ive gotton a consistent 20 mpg empty and have yet to find somthing it cant pull with ease. i would suggest any diesel that doesnt have dpf on it just read up they all have their little problems

2006 Ford, even though it has the 6.0 I haven't had the problems a lot of people talk about. Take care of it, it takes care of me.

I have a 2006 dodge 2500 quad Cab, long bed. I drag a heavy RV trailer, with a Quad in the bed, NO problem. Pull up hill like nobody's business.
The dealer has worked on the Transfer case, and it had a few minor issues in the first 1000 miles, but nothing else. 110,000 miles.
Dealer told me that dodge was the last one of the three to have no oil bath air filter. In 2013, all will be required.
4,000 mile round trip every year pulling to Texas to and from Oregon.
Plus a good 2-3 k at each end. Run Rotello, or Amsoil, and look at the Dodge Diesel forum for further ideas about oil, additives, and chips, as well as longevity. Lot of "hotshot' drivers on there with heavy loads and long miles.
Good truck.

2000 F250. 2 water pumps....2 alternaters....several batteries...ball joints.....2 sets of rear brakes....3 sets of front brakes.....7.3 diesel with 297000 miles!!!!!

Have an 2011 6.7L F250 with 24k on it and have had no issues at all. Not sure what the DEF issues are that folks are complaining about. Just fill the DEF tank every 3-5k miles and dont worry about it. Fuel economy is better than any F150 or Suburban I have had. Power...tons. Interior reminds me of a full loaded Suburban...lots of goodies, extras, etc. Even the wife digs it.

I have a 2006 dodge cummins 2500. I love it . At the time it boasted the tightest turning radius of the big 3. Mine is 4x4 and I have done the cold air intake, bully dog , 5 inch exhaust, boost fooler, etc. it's a beast and and I get 17 mpg traveling around town. And get 20 to 21 on the hwy. I just replaced the old tires with some new ones and had to shred the old ones just for fun.

http://youtu.be/nrSHsdLaVDc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2000 F250. 2 water pumps....2 alternaters....several batteries...ball joints.....2 sets of rear brakes....3 sets of front brakes.....7.3 diesel with 297000 miles!!!!! </div></div>

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not surprised by most of your posts, I loved every newer model diesel I've had up until around 90k-100K miles. But when you pay $50k - 60k+ for a truck I think it should still go 250K before costing a arm and a leg.

I guess if I didn't put 60K miles a year on them it wouldn't be such a issue.

I have a 2001 Ford with a 7.3 and 170,000 miles on it. It's my first diesel and couldn't be any happier. The best part is it's paid for. I'll keep this one around for a long time.

We have two Dodge 4X4s, both with the 5.9... Both average over 20 miles per gallon. Replaced the ball joints on the 1ton at 65K, but no other issues. The 3/4ton has been a perfect vehicle. Both have plenty of power and are used to haul with...

Thanks for all the info. I noticed on various sites that earlier diesels made say before '07 have asking prices about the same as used 2011 & 2012 models... There must be a premium on diesels without the emission equipment.

I work on them all day long. The biggest issue with all of them is the emission devices that they add to them. The reason people bought diesels were for better mileage, cooler running, and more pulling power. They have done away with that. The emission related components can easily be removed. Did so on my 2010 F450 6.4. First thing to go was the EGR, EGR cooler, and the DPF. When these items are removed, the engine runs cooler and more efficiently. I gained over 4 mpg. There is one tuner we use and that is it. We have tried others but these work. If doing so you might want to hurry and get one because the EPA came in and made them take the DPF delete out of their tune.

It doesn't matter which brand you buy, they all have their little issues. All of them need the emission related items removed for them to run right. Like stated find an older one with no EGR or have removed. The Ford and Dodge suffer from the same issues with heat and EGR gas brought back into the engine to reburn. The Chevy seem to handle it a bit better but still benefit from removal.

The Dodge and the Chevy are the easiest to maintain. All do well if normal maintenance routines are followed. Especially fuel filters. We do ours every other oil change with service intervals at 5k mi. We use Shell Rotella CJ4 exclusively.

Hope this helps if any further info is needed, just ask. I am not brand specific but I have a Ford because happen to find a killer deal on one. I would stay away from the 6.0 Ford.

The new ones got the power and comfort if you got the dough. All three big ones are awesome, tons of power and ride like cars. That said, I think the current trend in light duty diesels deviates from the reason most people bought diesels historically: long maintenance interval, good fuel economy, good power, insane longevity. Aside from the power aspect, I don't see these qualities in the new ones. But, the marketing people spend tons of money to find out what the customer wants, so I suppose my opinion is in the vast majority. I drive a 92 f250 with the NA 7.3. Not fast, doesn't ride like a car, but is gets 23 mpg on the interstate, 16 pulling a jeep on a steel carhauler. Has 260,000 miles and starts in 2 revs down to the freezing mark. Service is cheap and easy plus I spent 2500 bucks on it (Read: about 58,000 less than a new offering from ford)

03 Dodge 3500 4x4 Dually, 329,605 miles. 5.9 Hi Output Dieseland Auto tranny. Carries- 01 Lincoln SA 250 diesel welder, custom fabricated welding bed and all related welding supplies for pipeline welding. Been up and down just about every mountain range in the nation plus the roughest pipeline right aways. New transmission at 260k, a set of injectors at 285k and the usual wear out stuff(brakes,ball joints etc). The secret-routine preventative maintainance. She scales at 13,460lbs. Stay away from the new crap.

The looming problem is that EPA is not happy with the tuner companies that enable pollution controls to be removed, and are forcing them to eliminate the ability for the device to override the factory computer. Also, I can foresee that anything computer related will be a dealer only fix in the near future when EPA revise the Tier requirements for these 'lighter duty' diesels, just as with heavy equipment. Lets burn more fuel and make less pollution is the mantra

With that said, my brother has a 12 6.7 Ford that is turned up and for being a one ton, rides as nice as car- and runs ridiculously when he gets on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2000 F250. 2 water pumps....2 alternaters....several batteries...ball joints.....2 sets of rear brakes....3 sets of front brakes.....7.3 diesel with 297000 miles!!!!! </div></div>

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not surprised by most of your posts, I loved every newer model diesel I've had up until around 90k-100K miles. But when you pay $50k - 60k+ for a truck I think it should still go 250K before costing a arm and a leg.

I guess if I didn't put 60K miles a year on them it wouldn't be such a issue. </div></div>

So do you sell you house when the water heater goes out. He has 297,000 miles, 2 water pumps would be 1 every 150,000. same for the Alternators, and rear brakes. one set of front brakes every 100k. This is all maintenance, just like re-barreling a rifle.
If I had the money I would love a new truck (although, the new diesels can be a pain) but whether or not you grasp it you are paying A LOT more than he is.

Also he has done nothing to the actual engine, it is all superficial stuff.

Early '98 Dodge (12 valve) 3/4 ton. Just redid the ball joints and it has 125k on it. 21 mpg.

Get an older one. Mine has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I'll probably never get rid of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simmy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The biggest issue with all of them is the emission devices that they add to them..... First thing to go was the EGR, EGR cooler, and the DPF. When these items are removed, the engine runs cooler and more efficiently.
It doesn't matter which brand you buy, they all have their little issues. All of them need the emission related items removed for them to run right.</div></div>

Agree 100%! Whose bright idea was it to cycle high-solid diesel emissions back into the system, and why isn't the DPF a $25/5 minute job the owner can do?
As a Chrysler/Dodge service writer, I have to say that the biggest problems with the diesels are A)Stupid EPA crap, and B) people who drive them like a car. They're meant to be WORKED, not as short hop commuters, and that's a large part of the problem. We had one guy with a 3500 dually, and he was in often for soot-related issues. Looking at the low mileage intervals, we asked him what he used the truck for. Turns out it's his wife's rig, and she drove it to the local Farmer's Market and back, every Thursday. A two-mile round trip, empty. Never went into closed loop, never reached operating temp, never actually woke up.

1911fan

I have 1 diesel pickup. It is my service truck. A 2004 F-550 with service body, crane, air compressor and 200gal fuel tank. Empty it weights 18,000lbs. It is a tank and goes down the road great. Eats up tires with all the weight. Only reason I have it is because I got it cheap since no one wants to own a 6.0L powerstroke. Was worried it wouldn't get me home when I went to get it after I bought it. Spent around $500 in parts so it would. Then did more work on it when it got home. I was a diesel mechanic for 15 years. It runs great now, for now. I wouldn't get a diesel unless you have a real reason to own one.
If you get one. Go new, they did figure out the emissions thing fairly well. Make sure it has a DEF emissions system. Only system I have seen that works, if it doesn't freeze up. Or go with older pre exhaust treatment one. Drive it for a while, make a list of repairs, fix them and enjoy it. I would skip the 6.0L powerstroke.

I had a 2004 f-250 super crew that forever turned me against diesels. It had the lovely 6.0 in it. I work with a guy that has one and bragged about it never giving him any trouble. Well, he just told me today it put him down and is going to cost $7,000 to fix. He wanted my opinion of what he should do because he can't sell it not running. I didn't have the heart to say "I told you so".

I'm eagerly awaiting the 2014 Ram 1500 with small 3.0L diesel.

I don't buy new vehicles, but it could be a 'game changa' in the light truck market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm eagerly awaiting the 2014 Ram 1500 with small 3.0L diesel.

I don't buy new vehicles, but it could be a 'game changa' in the light truck market. </div></div>

Wait, what? Tell me more! Please, be a cummins! I head they were going to drop a small diesel in the Grand Cherokee, but not the RAM 1500. This is what I've been waiting for. I will Sell my Hemi in a heartbeat for one of these, but only if they offer it in a stick shift. Are you listening dodge
smile.gif

I had an 06 Dodge w/ 5.9L that was geared low, with 6speed manual and i could get 20mpg out of it, as long as i stayed off the interstate, so i can only imagine what i could do in a half-ton with a manual. The 3/4 ton was more truck than I really needed, but a half-ton would be just right.

I'm running an '02 cummins with 266K and it has hardly had any trouble. Dad has a '10 with 71K which Mysteriously, all the EPA BS strangely just fell off around 55k.. Been so much of a better truck.. MPG's up from 11 to prolly 16-17 avg and HAS to be better for the truck to not inhale it's own exhaust!..

I've got my '02 for sale and will be in the market soon. Always been a cummins man, but i can't make my mind up. EVERYONE i talk to locally loves their new powerstroke. Always liked the ford trucks, so maybe now they have a half assed engine to go with it.

I am a big lurker on here, but I had to throw my 2 cents in on this topic. 1996 Dodge 3500 Crew Duel Cummins. 250,000 miles and just rebuilt the tranny. Might need a rebuild on the engine in 100 K more. I hate Dodges, but they got this one right. It will never be sold. Thinking of having it painted and a new interior put in it. Power windows still work even:)

TiredWings
BG,KY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2000 F250. 2 water pumps....2 alternaters....several batteries...ball joints.....2 sets of rear brakes....3 sets of front brakes.....7.3 diesel with 297000 miles!!!!! </div></div>

I guess if I didn't put 60K miles a year on them it wouldn't be such a issue. </div></div>

So do you sell you house when the water heater goes out. He has 297,000 miles, 2 water pumps would be 1 every 150,000. same for the Alternators, and rear brakes. one set of front brakes every 100k. This is all maintenance, just like re-barreling a rifle.
If I had the money I would love a new truck (although, the new diesels can be a pain) but whether or not you grasp it you are paying A LOT more than he is.

Also he has done nothing to the actual engine, it is all superficial stuff. </div></div>

No, I clarify. bmarc69's maintenance repairs are very acceptable. They are less than what I would expect for most at those miles. But I've had multiple different newer models that right after 100k miles, something $$$ goes bad and by 150k they each were costing $10K+ to keep on the road. Just wasn't worth it.

Now if anyone comes out with a truck that can do 250-300K before needing a rebuild again. I would love to buy it. The power in these newer ones is awesome compared to old though. One of my fords would haul damn near anything at freeway speeds, up hill and not even care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Would love a Ford truck with an Allison and the 24v 5.9 Cummins.</div></div>

Have always thought about that, I'm sure someone has done it.

I'm the camp of "What are you looking for out of your truck". Father-in-law has a 1996 (12 valve) Dodge Cummins Club cab. Parked it up for about 5 years with 204000 only bacause he purchased a new car. About a year ago I drained the tank, put in fresh diesel and new batteries and turned the key. Cranked right up. Presently has 211000 and I ended up replacing a few hoses plus the lift pump (all of $105.00) just recently. Biggest expense was replacing all four tires as they all developed flat spots that had it shaking on the highway like a worn out old dozer. Running like a top. If your looking for longevity and inexpensive parts/repairs I believe these older (12 or 24 valve) inline 6 designs are tough to beat. FWIW a great web site for the Dodge Cummins is dieselgiant or genosgarage.

My sister in law has a 2001 24v cummins with.....380,000 miles. Runs like a scalded dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2000 F250. 2 water pumps....2 alternaters....several batteries...ball joints.....2 sets of rear brakes....3 sets of front brakes.....7.3 diesel with 297000 miles!!!!! </div></div>

Also he has done nothing to the actual engine, it is all superficial stuff. </div></div>

No, I clarify. bmarc69's maintenance repairs are very acceptable. They are less than what I would expect for most at those miles. But I've had multiple different newer models that right after 100k miles, something $$$ goes bad and by 150k they each were costing $10K+ to keep on the road. Just wasn't worth it.

Now if anyone comes out with a truck that can do 250-300K before needing a rebuild again. I would love to buy it. The power in these newer ones is awesome compared to old though. One of my fords would haul damn near anything at freeway speeds, up hill and not even care. </div></div>I did forget about the cam shaft sensor going bad. That was under the 100,000 mile warranty and later became a recall item. I asked a shop to service the tranny at around 100,000 and they said no. Said I waited too long and it would start leaking if they did it now so it still has the original fluid in it. There are some little things I haven't fixed on the inside but it has been the best truck I have ever owned. I bought it in '99 and said then I wanted to get 300,000 miles. I'm not there yet and I did recently buy a Toyota Tacoma however the F250 is sitting in the driveway loaded with 600' of 4" PVC pipe ready to work again tomorrow. Oh and it's been paid off for 9 years.

I've had a 2012 Ford Super Duty for about 8 months. It will pull my 32ft gooseneck,7000# tractor,1200# bush hog,6000# of seeds and anything else that I put on the trailer with no problem. Plenty of power! It gets between 17 and 19 mpg calculated when empty, but drops to 10-11 with the trailer. Thats calculated, but the computer is pretty accurate. Its a nice ride with a roomy interior,smooth ride and plenty of power. The DEF is not a real problem, just something else you have to do. I do wish the DEF tank had a gauge. It comes up in the info center, but does not show the level, just if its ok. I hope that I get as good of service from it as I did with my 7.3L.
They are all good,I just personally liked the Ford better than the others when I drove them. A friend has had some troubles with his new Dodge,emissions seem to be kicking their butts. Other friends with Duramax's are happy with them. They all seem to be getting about the same mpg as I do. Hope this helps, Lightman

We just did our first 2011 F-series truck here at the shop. We did an EGR/EGR cooler delete with a DEF delete. Truck runs absolutely awesome. It has been running with with the new system for about a month. Kit was installed with 80k on the truck. The customer runs it on the tow setting which is 60hp and about 100 ft lbs of torque. The engine definently runs smoother, no more DEF and added over 4 mpg. The customer is very happy with his truck.

Your are correct that the F-series truck are one of the nicer riding and most comfortable trucks.