• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digital Scale

Blackwater

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
US
So I'm fixing to order all my reloading equipment and I'm looking for a good digital scale to back and check what the RCBS manual scale says. I've been reading reviews on about every digital scale out there made by the big names, RCBS, Dillion, Hornady, etc. My question is this, the reviews seem to be mixed, but I've seen more and more posts about going outside the reloading family and looking for scales that way.

Two that were mentioned where the Jennings Mac 20, and the Acculab VIC-123. The Jennings is around $75 and the Acculab is around $235 but the Acculab readability is within 0.001 where the Jennings is 0.002

Thoughts?

get a beam scale to start off with, I'm not a big fan of digital scales but if I had to get one it be a GD-503.

A GemPro 250 and $1250 worth of powder, primers and bullets!

ugh huh...what he said

My gem pro registers 1 kernal of powder as yur trickiling...scale says a kernal of rl 15 is .02 grains..as is varget..but you need to plug it into a power strip with surge protectors and those little rf thingies for the power cord itself..and never turn it off..it stiff floats a lil...jus tare and re weigh pan..will weigh exactly same..keep gettn up..

Last edited:
get a beam scale to start off with, I'm not a big fan of digital scales but if I had to get one it be a GD-503.

The kit comes with a beam scale. So I want something to check against the bean scale.

A lot of people are using the Gempro 250 0.02gr resolution. On my list of goodies to get.
My Weigh GemPro 250

I like what i'm reading. I'll pick one of these up and on the bright side its cheaper then the Acculab

The kit comes with a beam scale. So I want something to check against the bean scale.

I like what i'm reading. I'll pick one of these up and on the bright side its cheaper then the Acculab

Why not stick with the Beam scale and buy some check weights - Be able to hand them on to your Grandson then.

You get what you pay for.

A gem pro is a piece of junk compared to a gd-503

I'd try a Scott Parker tuned beam scale. Probably the best choice for the $$$

Why not stick with the Beam scale and buy some check weights - Be able to hand them on to your Grandson then.

I like my beam scale but my gem pro is great for weighing brass and bullets as well as powder. Gem pro is quicker than beams for brass and bullets. Beams are better for trickling powder. Just my two cents.

You get what you pay for.

A gem pro is a piece of junk compared to a gd-503

I'd try a Scott Parker tuned beam scale. Probably the best choice for the $$$

The GD-503 may be a great scale but not worth it for me to spend $1400 on a digital scale when the reviews says the Gem Pro 250 is great for reloading.

i got gem pro 250 for about 3 yrs now so far no complains...1400.00 for a scale really? if your buying bullseye you can use it somewhere like scope ammo precising rifle etc..not on scale! :)

Just stick with the beam scale, I and plenty of other shooters have made comp worthy ammo using production grade beam scales, there not sexy, but a good scale can and will be handed down to your grand kids if handled with care, how many consumer grade electronic products can say that, none, spend your money on powder brass primers and bullets, later if you stick with reloading a Giraud trimmer should be the first big ticket item of reloading gear, then a badass scale.

Just posted this in another thread so I'll copy and paste here as it also applies "I think that is a double sided question. What electronic powder scales for Precision reloads?I-> HAD<- a chargemaster and talked to people with other electronic scales and I would not have another. They are too delicate if you reload inside your house and the A/C or centrol air kicks on it can effect your PRECISION scales. My chargemaster that I had, I was using one day when my father-in-law called me. When I answered my cordless phone I had 45 grains of Varget on the scale but It went to zero. I told him something was wrong that I would call him back then hung up. The scales went back to 45. SO YEAH if a cordless will effect it what else will? Anyway my .02 cents is for PRECISION reloading go with a good beam scale."

Al things considered you cant beat the Chargemaster.
Once you get it dialed for your load it works superbly.

The 503 is the Rolls Royce, but you pay a lot more for very small gain.
You better be shooting something like a 6mmbr to see the difference.
There is nothing more accurate or faster.

Yes, the Santorious (Acculab123) is accurate. The problem is its irritatingly behavior while topping off a load. The unit goes zero response as you slowly trickle in powder then then the weight spikes. Comes with the design and there is no fix.

FWIW I own all three and I use the Chargemeaster for everything but my 6mmbr F-class rifle.
The Acculab123 collects dust.

The GD-503 is dam nice, but its no more accurate and not even close to the speed of the Gen2 Prometheus.

I use the Denver MXX-123, been reviewed by Accurate Shooter here: Denver Instrument MXX-123 Test

I use it to set up and check my Prometheus II scale-dispenser.

PS Just had a look at the Sartorius GD-503 and it looks so much like the Denver MXX-123 with a wind screen added that I wonder if it's not the same instrument with slightly different cosmetics.

Last edited:
I use the Denver MXX-123, been reviewed by Accurate Shooter here: Denver Instrument MXX-123 Test

I use it to set up and check my Prometheus II scale-dispenser.

PS Just had a look at the Sartorius GD-503 and it looks so much like the Denver MXX-123 with a wind screen added that I wonder if it's not the same instrument with slightly different cosmetics.
No its not the same at all. Have a look at the vid for the explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxMzbAt4bj0