• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digital video camera for capturing trace (vapor trail)

Little Yoshi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
Odenton, MD
We are in the market for a new video camera for the family, but I would like to consider ones that can capture the bullets trace pretty good and slow it down enough so other peeps can see it when reviewing. Maybe play around with the output to make so videos for the guys I shoot with. Any suggestions?

Weather conditions will have to be perfect or it ain't going to happen. Any decent video should be able to accomplish this.

I've got the Vortex Razor spotting scope with the camera attachment gear and I use a Canon ELPH 100 HS. With this setup I can record bullet strike and vapor trail at 4X and 8X slow speed. The camera records 640x480 resolution at 4X and 320x240 at 8X. I'll shoot at pop cans, water bottles etc at up to 600 yds and get a good trace. At 1K its hard to record as it seems like the trace is coming straight down out of the sky. Got the camera used off E-bay as its a 2011 model. Used in conjuction with a spotting scope you don't need any more than 4X zoom. Canon has a new model out with the HS feature and 20X zoom. This might work if you don't want to use a spotting scope.

I have used a canon eos rebel t3 and caught trace at 300 yds. It's not a video camera per se, but it does shoot HD video in video mode.