• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dilemma...Buy One GAP 10, or Two Suped Up AR 10s

HOGTOOTH5R

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
DFW, TEXAS
So guys, I'm at a Dilemma here. I have Two .308 Semi Auto Platforms to build on for Precision/Battle Rifle. First is a Armalite AR-10 AP4, 20" Chrome Line Heavy Barrel, Factory 2 Stage Trigger. The other is a DPMS 16" Heavy Barrel Carbine. Now I can improve both of these rifle with Free Float Tube, Different Stock (If needed), some AAC Breakout muzzle Brake, and be done with Both rifles while still costing less than a GAP-10.

So, on one side, I'll have 2 rifles that set up for different purposes (Sometimes it's more convenient with a 16" Barrel) with .308 cal and will be Precise enough for most duties.

Or I can just Sell Both Rifles (Still Both Brand New None Modded) and put the funds towards a GAP-10. With Guaranteed Sub MOA Accuracy, Build Quality, and the fact that it is a GAP. For more than the price of 2 rifles Plus some 4-6 Months of wait time.

My question is in this case, is Two Better than One? Will I be better of with 2 AR-10 .308s for different purposes, or One GAP-10 and use it for all?

What do you guys think? Inputs and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Dilemma...Buy One GAP 10, or Two Suped Up AR 10s

Having to put 2 sets of high end optics on each system usually settles it. That being said GAP builds a Hell of a rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having to put 2 sets of high end optics on each system usually settles it. That being said GAP builds a Hell of a rifle! </div></div>

a GDI mount.....just a thought?

I've had a DPMS, an Armalite, and two Rock River LAR-8's. I've sold all of them, except for a Varmint model Rock River LAR-8 and now have a GAP10. I'm very happy and that GAP10 will be around for a very long time! I may even get another GAP10. The LAR-8 Varmint may stay or go. I've kept it because it is a very accurate rifle. As good as the GAP10 even, but the quality is no where near the GAP10.

Like everyone has said, my vote would be for GAP too. You simply can't find a bad word about them.

I can't make your decision for you but I can say that I'd love to have a GAP 10 w/18" barrel and an A2 stock. I had a DPMS SASS set up like that and loved it, minus the 12.5 lb naked weight. If the GAP was below 10lbs in that configuration I'd be all over it.

one nicer rifle
you dont really need a long tube

Sell all of them and get the GAP-10.

GAP, GAP, GAP....
If George G. Built a House I'd buy it!!

That being said I too have a 16" DPMS and it is pretty much as kitted out as it goes, SSA-E Trigger, Daniel Defense Rail, Magpaul Stock, Mark IV Scope and at 100 yards it is a .75moa at 200 yards it is like a 1.5-2 moa and really opens up after that...

I'll be going with a 18" GAP-10 when I replace the DPMS in the future!

BTW They built me a Rock Rifle last year and it is all in one hole at 200 yards and I could not be happier...
Trust me once the bug bites it is tough to get rid of it...

A) GAP

B) Two rifles for 2 different purposes - I know I am simple but to me that means basically one of two things, which in the end mean the same thing - weight. Folks can parse it by saying barrel length and weight, but if you aren't moving in and out of tight spaces or vehicles all the time what does barrel length matter? Same thing on the other end - if you give up some energy at the extreme range of the caliber with a shorter tube - does it really matter in a practical sense? In looking at some offerings that are more familiar to me, the difference between a 16" and a 20" is @ 1.5 #. Now while an extra 1.5# adds up over a day's stroll through the woods - it isn't the biggest deal to me. For this reason, as well as an accuracy, and function - I say one GAP, set up to do what you want it to do for 90% of what you will do with it. Make it work the rest of the time.

C) I don't know about you but I like at least 10 mags per gun, AR10 mags are $10.00 a copy more than MagPuls.

Just me.

Good luck

Trying to find a used GAP 10 308 upper to compliment my 6 Creed now, if that means anything.

I just ordered a GAP-10 a couple of weeks ago. Hate to tell ya but I was told to expect an 8 month wait, not 4-6.

Just so you're not surprised when you hear it.

Well guys...I don't think the feedback can get anymore Clear than THIS...Even know some say "I can't make the decision for you" *Cough*...LOL

I guess GAP it is! I don't know if they're open tomorrow but I'll give them a call anyways.

The above post of 8 Months Wait Sucks!
frown.gif

Couple of Questions since I've never ordered anything from GAP yet.

1. Do you have to pay up front for their rifles?

2. Can you cancel your order (If they haven't started on it yet) in case I find a Deal on a used one?

If I don't have to pay upfront, I'm thinking just put together these rifles first and see how I like them, and when the time comes to payoff the GAP I'll sell both of them then and put the funds towards the GAP. After all, I've got to have some sort of Entertainment during the Long Hard 8 Months of Brutal Punishing Wait...=/

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the inputs by the way! Everyone in the Semiauto Side seems to be so much nicer and forgiving than the bolt side...LOL

Look at it this way, if you order a can at the same time - they arrive about the same time......

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at it this way, if you order a can at the same time - they arrive about the same time......

Good luck

</div></div>

LOL...TRUE THAT!!! THANKS FOR THE GOOD LUCK!

i think it was 1k down and you can pay it out while they make it . if i remember right . give them a call they will take care of you for sure and you will be very happy with the Gap-10

you know you want the GAP 10.... it is calling your name, "shoot me!! shoot me!!".... well, as long as you are cool with waiting prob 5 to 8 months.

I have been selling my stock rifles and saving up for customs. After getting my GAP Thunder Ranch I have came to the conclusion that I would much rather have one nice custom that shoots lights out than 5 or 6 factory rifles (plus optics on all of them)

+1 to what stoney15 just said... couldn't say it any better. when it comes to my rifles & reloading equipment it really is buy once cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stoney15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been selling my stock rifles and saving up for customs. After getting my GAP Thunder Ranch I have came to the conclusion that I would much rather have one nice custom that shoots lights out than 5 or 6 factory rifles (plus optics on all of them) </div></div>

Stoney"s word is god. I have owned so many factory rifles and handguns that you would not believe. Buy and sell and buy again. But once I got my first CUSTOM GUN I was hooked. When you go Custom you get exactly what you want and it is made to perfection with a LifeTime warranty. Spend the money and never look back, you will not be sorry. P.S. Glass is just as important as the Rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get the GAP and a second upper?

A call to Mr. Lin might be in line.</div></div>

+1 what chiller said.

I was in the same boat. Started a build, Made a call to Mr. Lin and my mind was changed. I am now the proud owner of a GAP 10 in a 6.5 CM.

You cannot go wrong with a GAP.