• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 1050 automated

Re: Dillon 1050 automated

While i don't own a Dillon 1050, i do own its smaller brother the 650.

As cool as a fully automated system is, the potential of a bad reload getting past you is enough of a concern (to both life and limb) that i would stick with pure muscle power.

In my opinion, even with all the dillon alarms (which i have on my press) nothing beats the tactile feel of running the press itself. You feel little things that makes you stop and take a look, usually its nothing but with something as dangerous as reloading actually is I would always err to the side of caution.

Besides with a Super 1050, I think you got plenty of production power without any automation.
grin.gif

The automated setup would be nice to have for the cool factor or if I were loading ammo commercially. The most time consuming part of reloading for me is prep, if I have time to do that I have time to pull the handle for an hour to load 1000 rounds. Also as someone else mentioned the feel is lost, when a primer is hard to seat I stop and adjust for it, that can't be done with an auto setup.

I could watch that video all day... truly impressive!

Just showed that top vid to the wife last week as I was looking at the PW drive and Mr. Bullet feed.

Wife says "why don't you get that?" I say it costs a lot. She says "go ahead get it".

Classic trap. I don't shoot enough to justify that and then, after the fact, I would get yelled at for it sitting there.

Maybe she'll do something stoopid this year and it will buy me a get out of jail free card and I'll do it.

what kind of runout would one get on such a setup? What is the consistancy like with those powder throwers?+/- 0.3grains? or are there better powder throwers than the ones that come with the 1050?

My 650 is for my .45's only. 5gr of N320 and a 200SWC. I can do 1000/hr on good days. That set up is asking for an unexpected FUBAR. Looks cool though. Single stage RCBS only for my rifles. I like the zen qualities of hand loading rifle rounds.