• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550 precision rifle loading

Obviously no powder bar can be exact with their measurements because different powders are different sizes/volumes... but its prolly as close as you'll get. I know a few guys on here that use them and have said they like it.
Yeah excellent point, they’re pretty inexpensive too so I have a bunch on hand. Once I’ve a good load dialed in for a particular bullet weight, sub/super, powders etc I’ll just pull it and keep it locked in for future runs...much easier than having to do the dump/weigh/adjust/dump/weigh/adjust dance all over again every time.
Think I have two each for sub & super set currently...although I’m only really running 300BLK on the press, so if I were alternating between multiple calibers it would get less cost vs time-efficient pretty quickly I imagine

I’ve been using a couple of these Hornady micro’s for a while, I only wish the hash marks on the corresponding micro for the powder drop actually represented some form of weight measurement (I’ve been running the Hornady AP). Does Dillion or any other manufacturer have one that does?

That would be of all companies Lee which has their measurements in ccs. From memory their load book even has cc based data.

That would be of all companies Lee which has their measurements in ccs. From memory their load book even has cc based data.
Ha, wouldn’t have expected that...I’d be interested in the level of comparative accuracy when they’re converting cc-a measure of volume to grain-a measure of weight; given density variance in powders they’re basically creating a an entirely separate language for load data. I wonder how many reloaders out there are actually adopting their cc unit of measure system and whether they’re keeping the data fresh and up to date.
I’m too far down the road to convert to a cc given past load development and equipment, as I suspect just about everyone on here would be, but it’s an interesting concept anyway. Thanks for the response

Ha, wouldn’t have expected that...I’d be interested in the level of comparative accuracy when they’re converting cc-a measure of volume to grain-a measure of weight; given density variance in powders they’re basically creating a an entirely separate language for load data. I wonder how many reloaders out there are actually adopting their cc unit of measure system and whether they’re keeping the data fresh and up to date.
I’m too far down the road to convert to a cc given past load development and equipment, as I suspect just about everyone on here would be, but it’s an interesting concept anyway. Thanks for the response
Lee has been doing this for years. I have a lee .40 die set from probably the 70s, and it came with a little yellow scoop for "measuring" powder. I don't have a good feel for how consistently powder is controlled for energy by weight vs energy by volume. I don't think it particularly matters as long as you stick with 1 method, and always check a new lot of powder for changes. I know it's a heck of a lot easier to precisely measure weight than volume, though.

Lee has been doing this for years. I have a lee .40 die set from probably the 70s, and it came with a little yellow scoop for "measuring" powder. I don't have a good feel for how consistently powder is controlled for energy by weight vs energy by volume. I don't think it particularly matters as long as you stick with 1 method, and always check a new lot of powder for changes. I know it's a heck of a lot easier to precisely measure weight than volume, though.
Interesting, times have certainly changed with the explosion (no pun intended) in the number of reloaders over the last 50+ years. Given that grain weight is far and away the benchmark means of calculating loads, it would be amazing if a manufacturer designed a powder drop system with an integrated scale built in capable of giving you a digital weight readout when adjusting the micrometer...although that kind of a "George Jetson-like" feature being insanely expensive, but a hell of a time-saver!

Sorry for the time away. Life happens sometimes. I got back to the range today to do a seating depth test. Being a weekend, there was a lot of carrier in out movement, and that's what caused one of the flyers (my target was bouncing left-right). Regardless, extremely happy with these results and definitely have found my "new brass" load for sure. I don't know what runout is, but I know I can control oal to +/- 0.001", and that seems to be good enough. One of these days, I'll test a Dillon powder drop.

Off to work on a valkyrie load next.

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_194550.jpg
    IMG_20201018_194550.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 58
Sorry for the time away. Life happens sometimes. I got back to the range today to do a seating depth test. Being a weekend, there was a lot of carrier in out movement, and that's what caused one of the flyers (my target was bouncing left-right). Regardless, extremely happy with these results and definitely have found my "new brass" load for sure. I don't know what runout is, but I know I can control oal to +/- 0.001", and that seems to be good enough. One of these days, I'll test a Dillon powder drop.

Off to work on a valkyrie load next.

I would ignore runout unless its massive. Looks good though, keep us updated.

Probably time for another update. I'm still loading new brass, but sat down and loaded 100 rounds tonight. It took about 90 minutes including scale calibration, and dumping the powder hopper. Probably about 75 mins of actual loading time. I'm definitely waiting on the chargemaster. Although I would like to go even faster, I can handle that.

Side note, br4 primers seat harder than 400s. I got caught with a couple of high primers because my highly calibrated push came up short with the harder primers.

I finally made it out to the long range. Everything lines up perfectly with Kestrel AB out of the box out to 1000, so that was nice. I did notice a pretty healthy speed increase with the latest batch I loaded. I pulled one down just to verify charge weight, and it was right on the money. I suspect it's the powder drying out and speeding up. I'm going to have to back off a fair bit to get back into the node.

I too reload precision rifle on a 550 in the Denver Metro.

My process (for .308 and 6.5) is similar:
  1. Decap - I run them all through the dillon on toolhead that is my "flex" meaning I use it to put random shit on it
  2. Tumble
  3. Anneal
  4. Size in station 1 using redding type S using a bushing that is ~.003 neck tension
  5. Expand using a 21st century expander mandrel in station 2 to .0005 Neck Tension
  6. Tumble to remove lube
  7. Prime in Station 1
  8. Charge using a hornady powder funnel die in station 2 - I throw my charges using an chargemaster lite - soon to be an autotrickler v3.
  9. Seat on station 3 - I get .002 average runout which is fine for me
  10. I remove the button on station for and remove the round without letting it drop
I have also used a single stage to just size with too much neck tension, then when I am ready and depending on the use (hunting vs target) I can use an expander mandrel in station one along with the prime operation to set my neck tension right before seating.

You are running a final neck tension of .0005"??? How are you measuring neck tension to the .000X ?

Half a thousandth, yes. Granted, neck tension is the wrong term given that I don't know how tightly anything is held because I don't have a strain gauge inside the case, but I over tension the brass using a bushing that is "too small", then I use an expanding mandrel half a thou under the bullet diameter prior to seating.

For example, I use a .3075 expander mandrel on a .308 case neck, and a .2635 expander mandrel on a 6.5 case neck.

I have verified the diameter of both the bullet and the expander mandrel using a Mitutoyo digital micrometer.

Did you have a special 21st Century mandrel made? Ive been using their mandrels since they started making them on a 550c...I own them in every caliber including 308win and 6.5... Their Turning mandrel gives a final loaded round neck tension of .002 and their Expander mandrel leaves a final loaded round neck tension of .001. What mandrel are you using. Or are you just going off your bushing size, mandrel size, and doing the math? Im talking about actual sized neck diameter minus final loaded neck diameter using a Mitutoyo micrometer....

21st Century now sells mandrels in .0005 increments.

21st century now sells mandrels in .0005 increments. I bought the whole set for .30 and 6.5 calibers for ~$150 bucks each which helped determine proper tension for a variety of different applications. I coated them all in a dry film lube that my shop produces so I can run them dry without any extra neck lube. Our dry film lube adds about .000137" additional thickness - an inconsequential amount for all but the absolute best micrometers. If I measure "mandreled" neck diameter vs seated diameter, I'll get ~.0005" difference. I am going to load some .308 tonight and I'll happily post some photos.
Yes, some photos would be great. Do you load H4350 up here? Have you noticed a change from a freshly delivered jug to one that's been around for a while? It seems to acclimate even in a "sealed" container, but I suspect they aren't really air tight. 40-50% humidity at packaging at near sea level isn't the same amount of water per volume as it is in a 40% environment up here.

I’m newer to the 6.5cm scene so I can’t say for sure. I also shoot 6.5 in an AR-10 so I would be hesitant to blame anything on the powder when a gas gun is more likely to blame. I can say that I usually keep my powder sealed until ready to use and I try to buy large quantities of single pounders so it’s rare that I have a jug just sitting around. In general we have an indoor RH in Colorado well under 40 percent, especially in the winter. I would expect that to make some difference in the performance of a powder given the different moisture content but I don’t know how much.
I have a whole house humidifier that keeps me within a few % of 40, also buy large quantities, and also don't open until I need it. It's possible my rifle sped up more too, but that seems unlikely at this point in the barrel's life.

Half a thousandth, yes. Granted, neck tension is the wrong term given that I don't know how tightly anything is held because I don't have a strain gauge inside the case, but I over tension the brass using a bushing that is "too small", then I use an expanding mandrel half a thou under the bullet diameter prior to seating.

For example, I use a .3075 expander mandrel on a .308 case neck, and a .2635 expander mandrel on a 6.5 case neck.

I have verified the diameter of both the bullet and the expander mandrel using a Mitutoyo digital micrometer.

Just a suggestion... but you might consider getting some pin gauges to actually check and see what your neck ID really is after the brass spring back following sizing. If you're just doing one or two calibers, you can get them in 0.0005" increments off Amazon for $7-8 each. If you load for a bunch of calibers it might be cheaper to buy a full 'set' (0.061-0.250", or 0.251-0.500") and fill in the 0.0005" increments as needed.

And here is how easy and fast I fully process brass on my XL650. They are deprimmed, shoulder bumped back, neck squeezed down, trimmed to length and mandrel to set final neck tension and concentricity.

Did you ever know that you’re my hero?!? 😲🤤

You guys have convinced me to continue refining my 550b reloading process.

My next step is to add a powder/drop tube system to my loading/seating tool head to speed up powdering with my FX120i.

I might just buy the mtm kit as a cheapie and see if I can get it to work, if not then I’ll probably upgrade to the area 419/Dillon system.

@padom, very nice setup, as usual. To be clear, you use a Dillon powder die with the correct sized “nipple” thing(i.e 308, 6.5 CM, etc) with the Area419 adapter +their drop tube and funnel in station #2, correct?

My next step is to add a powder/drop tube system to my loading/seating tool head to speed up powdering with my FX120i.

I might just buy the mtm kit as a cheapie and see if I can get it to work, if not then I’ll probably upgrade to the area 419/Dillon system.

@padom, very nice setup, as usual. To be clear, you use a Dillon powder die with the correct sized “nipple” thing(i.e 308, 6.5 CM, etc) with the Area419 adapter +their drop tube and funnel in station #2, correct?

I have Dillon Powder dies in all my dedicated loading toolheads....those powder dies have the appropriate caliber Dillon powder funnel inside the powder die.... I then use the Area419 Dillon powder die adapter that fits all Dillon powder dies along with their drop tube and funnel.

Reactions: verdugo60
I have Dillon Powder dies in all my dedicated loading toolheads....those powder dies have the appropriate caliber Dillon powder funnel inside the powder die.... I then use the Area419 Dillon powder die adapter that fits all Dillon powder dies along with their drop tube and funnel.

Thanks, got it. Just curious if you think the roller handle is worth it while I’m doing a Dillon order?

I’d like to get set up where I can sit my ass on an adjustable stool but have never found I have the same “ feel” sitting as I do standing.

I’ve been getting good results on a 550 for a very long time but there’s always refining to do it seems. Shot these groups just the other day off a bipod/rear bag right before dark.

D376C771-7CF7-44CF-A720-07EA6E18B4EE.jpeg

Does anyone have a powder die to run a funnel with 6br. If so could someone get me the measurements of it so I can get one made

Does anyone have a powder die to run a funnel with 6br. If so could someone get me the measurements of it so I can get one made

Dillon powder die with the 6PPC funnel.

I run mine with the 419 funnel and drop tube. It's a slick setup.

Reactions: 47guy

I dont think you understand. All powder dies for Dillon toolheads are the same....the Area 419 funnel with their Dillon adapter allows you to use their funnel in Dillon powder dies. You drop the 6br funnel that comes in the Dillon 6br conversion kit into the die.

I dont think you understand. All powder dies for Dillon toolheads are the same....the Area 419 funnel with their Dillon adapter allows you to use their funnel in Dillon powder dies. You drop the 6br funnel that comes in the Dillon 6br conversion kit into the die.
I can't get a 6br conversion kit

Could you get me some measurements from the 6ppc one. Plc and br are the same.

I think what they’re saying is you don’t need a “6br” specific powder funnel. Buy the generic Dillon powder die and buy the Dillon “6mm rifle powder funnel”. Then add area 419 adapter/funnel and you’re set. I hope that’s how it is because I’m ordering a bunch of Dillon parts tonight for setting up seating/powdering toolheads.

B89718B9-A1E7-4619-BDF9-87233DE2C4B0.png

Another option that was around for a while, and still works well - just doesn't look as cool - is to find an extended funnel that will sit down inside the powder die, and raise/lower with the case.

As an example, Whidden used to sell a modified version of this funnel for their 550/650 kits. Basically they took one of the long drop tubes, turned down the flange on the end, and (probably) used some CA glue to attach the tube to one of the funnels. It
works pretty well with anything I've used it on, it slips right inside a standard Dillon powder die, and you only need *one* for everything, rather than one for each caliber.

I'm sure they probably did the mod in a lathe, not sure how hard it would be to DIY it - probably a little big to chuck up even in a drill press. But it might give you an option if you need it.

I've found the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Powder Funnel Die works great with this funnel set

No modifications required a a snugger fit than both the Dillon & 419 dies.

I can also attest that the Satern 6.5mm funnel fits the top of the Powder Die perfectly. I've used it with a Hornady Powder Cop in station 3 and Forster Ultra Seater in station 4, so there's just enough room.

edit: I lower the Powder Die down until the cartridge-specific funnel in the die just starts to push the Satern funnel upwards, so that it makes full contact and leaves no gap between them.

1610382958180.png

Last edited:

I use a Hornady powder die kit on my 550 with my fx120. Works pretty well and is inexpensive

I use a Hornady powder die kit on my 550 with my fx120. Works pretty well and is inexpensive

I went full retard last night and ordered some more toolheads and powder funnels as well as piecing together the Area 419 parts from brownells and midway that Padom and a few others are using(they are out of stock at A419).

It was a bit spendy but I am loading for 6mm,6.5mm,7mm and 30 cal rifles and it will be nice to have a system that I know won’t bridge powder and will last for years.

Reactions: Rathmatik
I think what they’re saying is you don’t need a “6br” specific powder funnel. Buy the generic Dillon powder die and buy the Dillon “6mm rifle powder funnel”. Then add area 419 adapter/funnel and you’re set. I hope that’s how it is because I’m ordering a bunch of Dillon parts tonight for setting up seating/powdering toolheads.

View attachment 7525407

No you need the 6PPC powder funnel specifically for 6BR....not that .243/6mm.....

I went full retard last night and ordered some more toolheads and powder funnels as well as piecing together the Area 419 parts from brownells and midway that Padom and a few others are using(they are out of stock at A419).

It was a bit spendy but I am loading for 6mm,6.5mm,7mm and 30 cal rifles and it will be nice to have a system that I know won’t bridge powder and will last for years.
No judgement here, about to order a zero press....

The reason I went with the Hornady die is that it was easy to adapt a long drop tube which is helping with max charges of slow powder for my 300 PRC. I’m sure area 419 has a $200 long tube too though.

No judgement here, about to order a zero press....

The reason I went with the Hornady die is that it was easy to adapt a long drop tube which is helping with max charges of slow powder for my 300 PRC. I’m sure area 419 has a $200 long tube too though.

Haha, that thing is supposed to be smoooooooth, enjoy.

Surprisingly the A419 3” threaded drop tube section is only $12... but it threads on their $40 funnel.

Just a heads up, if you have access to a 3d printer there is a file on thingiverse for a dillon powder die. Might solve your shipping problem to the land down under.

Just a heads up, if you have access to a 3d printer there is a file on thingiverse for a dillon powder die. Might solve your shipping problem to the land down under.
Thanks I'll look it up. It's actually the 6br specific funnel as suggested above I need. I have a heap of the actual dies

If you're in a pinch and you have access to machine tools or a lathe, you can also take a Dillon Powder funnel "A" which is meant for 223 and open up the internal neck diameter to around .274 or .275, maintaining the same depth. That will also work for 6BR/BRA/Dasher.

I did that a few years ago because I needed one for 6BR cases and had several extras of the "A" funnel. It's worked great for me, both running progressive and with precision weighed charges manually fed through an external funnel.

If you're in a pinch and you have access to machine tools or a lathe, you can also take a Dillon Powder funnel "A" which is meant for 223 and open up the internal neck diameter to around .274 or .275, maintaining the same depth. That will also work for 6BR/BRA/Dasher.

I did that a few years ago because I needed one for 6BR cases and had several extras of the "A" funnel. It's worked great for me, both running progressive and with precision weighed charges manually fed through an external funnel.
Sometime I wonder about my intelligence. I have no idea how I didn't think of this. I'm going to do that

Last edited:
Anyone know if the “6mm rifle” die will work with 6GT? GT is longer than BR/Dasher variants but not by much as memory serves.

Has anyone setup a case feeder on a 550 to run with 6br. From what I can research they are fine with a case feeder foe pistol rounds on the 550 but not good for rifle. Given how small the 've case is it might work better

Has anyone setup a case feeder on a 550 to run with 6br. From what I can research they are fine with a case feeder foe pistol rounds on the 550 but not good for rifle. Given how small the 've case is it might work better

i have not set one up on a 550 but i did have a 550 and a case feeder and from my research you have to shorten the case feeder tube and youll need a 22/250 conversion kit...i run 6BRA on my dillon 750 and the 22/250 kit runs flawlessly.

heres a little info for you...if you search theres several threads about a case feeder on a 550.....

Last edited:
I had one several years back. I used it for 38 super comp. The case feeder feeds the case as the ram is raised. I don't see how a rifle case would possibly work the way it was timed.

The short answer is 550 case feeders are finicky. If you want a case feeder, get a 650/750/1050/1100. I sold off one 550 with the case feeder and bought a 1050 and never looked back.

I still use my remaining 550 (I actually owned 3 at one time) for all rifle loading. The 1050 is still setup for 38 super comp even though I don't shoot that round competitively anymore.

On the 750 I used the large rifle plate for 6BR and closed the opening to the minimum. It works great.