• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Disadvantages to higher rings

Here is a great example

IMG_8398.JPG

Is this rifle crooked or straight ?

Do we have to fix a cant?

How about his one
IMG_0998 4.JPG

Now before I even address the rifle I can tighten the bipod and call it good,

I put the cant in the Butt plate to satisfy my brain. I can feel it now, if this rifle is rolled the butt plate will make me feel it.

All the pretenders to the throne have quite a ways to go before they can dethrone the king of the scope retards, my man Buddly.
Forgive me, I haven’t been around here long enough to know most backstories, but in that vein, that Bare There/Larry made a second appearance a few months ago and got banned again.

Larry recap (just found it): https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/in-what-way-was-larry-abused-as-a-child.6980678/

Always saying weird crap like, “sandbagging’”.

Point me to some classic Buddly for laffs, if you would.

Forgive me, I haven’t been around here long enough to know most backstories, but in that vein, that Bare There/Larry made a second appearance a few months ago and got banned again.

Larry recap (just found it): https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/in-what-way-was-larry-abused-as-a-child.6980678/

Always saying weird crap like, “sandbagging’”.

Point me to some classic Buddly for laffs, if you would.
Check out this thread. Buddly is linked in post 2. Lots of other good stuff as well.

My scores in NRA standing offhand silhouette went up significantly after I switched over to tall rings. Head is not tilted over as much and scope image is more centered in my field of vision as opposed to being closer to the upper inside corner of my eye with the lower rings. Had to build the comb up with a pad to regain cheekweld. I'm a believer in taller rings for this application as it showed a large positive change in my scores, however this set-up sucks for prone with this gun. My other rifles are generally much lower ring heights.

Anschutz 1712SS 18" with 1.45" space rings by D3 (measured between top of rail to bottom of scope, rulebook max is 1.5") or approx 2.75" bore centerline to scope centerline

My general purpose vudoo I also occasionally shoot in silhouette with lower rings. It's a very noticeable head alignment difference when I switch between them at a silo match.

Reactions: jafo96
What cheek rest stock pad is that?

Looks like a Beartooth to me:

Reactions: lash
@Jack Master

It is once again, your time to shine.
Calculations complete

Likelihood of getting brain capped due to scope ring height
Evaluation of yourself2" scope rings2.5" scope rings3" scope rings
You're Normalyou're goodyou're goodyou're good
You think you're Normalyou're keeping it togethergetting worried...you're going to own a new skull canoe!!

Calculations complete

Likelihood of getting brain capped due to scope ring height
Evaluation of yourself2" scope rings2.5" scope rings3" scope rings
You're Normalyou're goodyou're goodyou're good
You think you're Normalyou're keeping it togethergetting worried...you're going to own a new skull canoe!!

Fuckin win!😂🤣

Now for something actually productive...

@lowlight or somebody else.
Could you do a bulletpoint video or take pictures from a side view along with a picture looking parallel to the barrel at the shooters face so we can see what proper setup can look like? Show what head upright or rolled over looks like or good neck position. Also might be good to show what improper setup can look like as well. A picture or video can convey the point better sometimes.

Reactions: jafo96
If barrels are tires maybe rings can be rubbers, then let's see who says short ones are better!😁

• Haha
Reactions: lash
@lowlight the Hide still needs a Hall of Fame Sticky.

No need to ban, we can keep them around for entertainment. It would be super easy for anyone to look them up in the sticky, an set straight.

If they don't fix stupid on their own, they can be vetted by @THEIS approved by @Dthomas3523 and voted in by @lash @Steel head @BLKWLFK9 @spife7980, etc. 3 Votes and a nod by Theis and Dave can make the user immortal. We've lost some of the all-time greats already.

If they can get @TheGerman to make a loving and compassionate case for them, they'll get a second chance.

PS I was going to suggest @beetroot as well, but he'd troll people into being stupid and laugh as people try to decide if they need a metric scope. :)

Jim
Not hall of fame but a little place called the short bus.

I was going from 1.1” high rings to 1.5” high rings for NV. I was worried so I ran the trajectory with both. With no other changes the higher rings had less drop and not by a little bit quite a bit at distance. I still prefer my scopes as close to the bore as possible though.

I was going from 1.1” high rings to 1.5” high rings for NV. I was worried so I ran the trajectory with both. With no other changes the higher rings had less drop and not by a little bit quite a bit at distance. I still prefer my scopes as close to the bore as possible though.

What are you calling quite a bit?

Changing from 1.5” to 2.5” bore height is only about 2 tenths all the way out to 1k on a standard 6mm

It’s also just less adjustment. Gravity is gravity and you muzzle will still be at the same angle/plane to send the bullet on the path it needs.

You don’t gain or lose anything with ring height. It’s just “different” in the adjustments.

Reactions: Steel head
What are you calling quite a bit?

Changing from 1.5” to 2.5” bore height is only about 2 tenths all the way out to 1k on a standard 6mm

9” difference at 1K with my 308 shooting 155’s at 2775.

Just seemed like a lot for such a small change in ring height.

9” difference at 1K with my 308 shooting 155’s at 2775.

Just seemed like a lot for such a small change in ring height.

Again, it’s just adjustment not drop. And less than an moa. This is also another reason why using linear terms for stuff like this is a bad idea. It takes things out of context and makes them look larger then they really are.

This thread is still alive?? lock er down, frame it, and hang it on the wall for viewing and comedy pleasure throughout history. Need to create, The Hall of Lame, not fame.