• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY light weight compact shooting mat

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
figured paying 80 to 100+ for something this easy was silly, so her it goes...

about a yard and a 1/2 of 1000d water proof backed cordura...
a space blanket, and some thin neoprene sheets.. and some 550 cord

its wide enough to fold in 1/2 and have plenty of room to go from my elbow to elbow and down to my knees...

stitch it like a pillow case, i put in 550 loops on the corners if i need to stake it down..

cut the space blanket and spray with some spray glue to adhere...

attache neoprene and turn inside out after stitching the 2 sides...

stitch closed... run a few stitches across the top section with the neoprene to keep it in place and done...

now u have more $$$ to spend on ammo...
smile.gif

I was cheaper than that. I bought a Vietnam era M-16 paratroopers padded jump case. These are padded with heavy wool. If you cut the stitching in the right places, you can open it out into a 3/4 length shooting mat. Turn the cotton canvas down to the ground and lay out on the wool padding.

I think I bought it at Cheaper than Dirt, or somewhere similar mail order place. Best as I can remember $12 to $16 each.

The army went from foam puss pads (what we called 'em) to the inflatable type. These used to roll up and go on top of the ALICE packs? Anyway, they still issue the inflatable type to put under your fartsack (sleeping bag). So we always used to cut those other pads up for all kinds of stuff, to pad vehicles to make shooting mats, etc., as we never slept with 'em (though I'm guilty of using the lighter, smaller inflatable one). They're neoprene, the pads, I think, so they're waterproof. They're better for shooting mats than the inflatable kind because these actually pad your elbows and knees (and if you get a couple, you can customize where those go, ie, elbow and knee cups with a little glue and/or tape). You can stitch stuff to it if you like to customize it further, but it may or may not let water through depending on how you do it. I've always just used 'em pretty basic, but guys have done a lot with those pads, from pillows to knee inserts in uniforms.

They can be had for a couple bucks or more at surplus stores depending on condition. I knew of some guys that liked to put a shelter half or poncho or other large, light "blanket" down with the pad simply under that, just to keep dirt and dust out. Then each folded or rolled up nice and clean.

Basically, we just modified or used field gear so there was less to carry overall. Trained with it because it was always handy, though some guys did have their own stuff, usually Tactical Tailor gear. There was less stuff overall prior to 9/11 and Iraq, so I guess I just got old and used to my ways --I still prefer a pad and poncho, if not just the poncho.

I've never tried those $500+ drag bag/shooting mats before. They gotta be nice for that though.

I forgot OP, hey, nice mat! Things like this, easy custom, why pay? If you live near a decent size military base, there'll likely be a bunch of places to get haircuts, drycleaners, surplus stores and tailors. The tailors do more than take up uniforms, they usually have industrial sewing machines from my experience, and they can sew whatever you take in there and show them, from fixing gear to modifying gear. And for a good price too. Make instructions simple, they aren't stupid, but most don't speak much if any English, so pictures work best. Good place to make your custom ideas out of surplus scrap a reality.

cool idea...I'm gonna steal the camo curtains out of my sons room and try this...Hope the wife don't notice...lol

The army went from foam puss pads (what we called 'em) to the inflatable type. These used to roll up and go on top of the ALICE packs? Anyway, they still issue the inflatable type to put under your fartsack (sleeping bag). So we always used to cut those other pads up for all kinds of stuff, to pad vehicles to make shooting mats, etc., as we never slept with 'em (though I'm guilty of using the lighter, smaller inflatable one). They're neoprene, the pads, I think, so they're waterproof. They're better for shooting mats than the inflatable kind because these actually pad your elbows and knees (and if you get a couple, you can customize where those go, ie, elbow and knee cups with a little glue and/or tape). You can stitch stuff to it if you like to customize it further, but it may or may not let water through depending on how you do it. I've always just used 'em pretty basic, but guys have done a lot with those pads, from pillows to knee inserts in uniforms.

They can be had for a couple bucks or more at surplus stores depending on condition. I knew of some guys that liked to put a shelter half or poncho or other large, light "blanket" down with the pad simply under that, just to keep dirt and dust out. Then each folded or rolled up nice and clean.

Basically, we just modified or used field gear so there was less to carry overall. Trained with it because it was always handy, though some guys did have their own stuff, usually Tactical Tailor gear. There was less stuff overall prior to 9/11 and Iraq, so I guess I just got old and used to my ways --I still prefer a pad and poncho, if not just the poncho.

I've never tried those $500+ drag bag/shooting mats before. They gotta be nice for that though.

I forgot OP, hey, nice mat! Things like this, easy custom, why pay? If you live near a decent size military base, there'll likely be a bunch of places to get haircuts, drycleaners, surplus stores and tailors. The tailors do more than take up uniforms, they usually have industrial sewing machines from my experience, and they can sew whatever you take in there and show them, from fixing gear to modifying gear. And for a good price too. Make instructions simple, they aren't stupid, but most don't speak much if any English, so pictures work best. Good place to make your custom ideas out of surplus scrap a reality.
this is off topic but the point of the iso mat was not to make the ground soft it was to prevent body heat from escaping into the ground. I find them all the time at surplus stores and use them for all kinds of things including as shooting mats.

the army foam matts are half inch thick closed cell foam not neoprene, the problem with those is everything will punch a hole through it...

I know because we used to use them for varmiting in the field and a fresh cut hay field is Lake laying on a bed of nails and they will Swiss cheese one of those mats and your arms soon as you lay down on those..
the cordura stopS that.

Also, the thicker stiffer 1/2" foam can't be rolled up as small

When I was 16 I had my grandma sew me up a shooting mat. I grabbed 1000d cordura and she had the perfect sized foam mat that she sewed around it. I'm 21 now and I can't find that stupid thing anywhere. I stopped shooting until recently and I can't find it. I used to use it for 25yd reduced size shooting with a 10/22. Makes me so mad that I can't find it.