• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Stock Inletting - CDI Precision DBM on a Grey Bull R700 SA Stock

eshorebwhntr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
MD - Eastern Shore
Just got done inletting my Grey Bull Precision stock for CDI bottom metal. It was a fun learning experience. I made/machined my own jig to hold the stock, drew up the metal from CDI's drawing in solidworks, generated the code, cut a few test pieces, and finally got to cut the real thing.

I'm going to try to post some better pics of the finished product later but for now here is some quick video that I shot on my phone while the CNC was running the mag well part of the sequence.

Also working toward getting my own cerakote curing oven finished, all the pieces have finally showed up.

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-djiyIq0W4&feature=em-upload_owner

How did you fixture the stock in the vice? Great work!

I made a mock 700 action out of a round piece of bar stock. Turned it down to the same OD as a 700, cut a channel in the bottom for a piece of 3/8" plate, and welded it in. Then flipped it over, chucked it in the vice, and drilled 3 holes that are spaced out for either SA or LA R700's. Just cut off some 1/4-20 bolts to use as guide screws. It worked pretty well. They had all the hold down tools locked up the night I did it and I forgot to check them out of inventory before everyone left...hence the orange tie down strap.

It was a learning experience which is always fun to me.

I made a mock 700 action out of a round piece of bar stock. Turned it down to the same OD as a 700, cut a channel in the bottom for a piece of 3/8" plate, and welded it in. Then flipped it over, chucked it in the vice, and drilled 3 holes that are spaced out for either SA or LA R700's. Just cut off some 1/4-20 bolts to use as guide screws. It worked pretty well. They had all the hold down tools locked up the night I did it and I forgot to check them out of inventory before everyone left...hence the orange tie down strap.

It was a learning experience which is always fun to me.

Sounds like you made yourself a "universal action fixture" that Badger Ordnance uses to inlet stocks for their M5 DBM. See the 0:39 mark: Installing a Badger Ordnance M5 trigger guard - YouTube

Does the CDI bottom metal inlet identical to the M5 inlet? If so, I think you need a bit more practice. I'd be happy to send you my B&C stock to inlet. I'll pay shipping both ways of course ;)