• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Target Cam System w/ High-Gain Antenna

Re: DIY Target Cam System w/ High-Gain Antenna

Back in the day when the Wavecom's first came out, we would pop the attenuator out and realize about 80mW. Size not being a problem, we had an antenna like the L-Com mentioned here and a 24db yagi from NCG. We were able to transmit analog video from the trailer park at the top of Topanga Canyon to the roof of the parking structure @ the Northridge Fashion Center in soCal. This is pure LOS but it went for about 11 Miles.

The system on accurate shooter looks like a good starting point. Make sure the connectors are usable i.e. they're not reverse gender, LH thread etc.

I have built a couple of these and have one for sale now. most of the ones I build I get the reciever and transmitter at best buy. 80 bucks works great picked up a 19" flat screen for 99 and had a camcorder. powered buy battery pack and inverter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookie lookie...... http://www.asianwolf.com/cctv-spycamera-3000ma.html </div></div>

Have you tried this out? Looks like a quick fix... plug a camcorder into the transmitter using the RCA in, plug a small flat screen tv to the receiver and you're good to go. Am I missing something other than power source?

Guys, I bought the one off of accurate shooter and it works good so far out to 500yds. I would be glad to post some pics of my setup and tell you what other items I used. As soon as I figure out how to post pics on here.

If you have a standard 11G/N device with a removable antenna or antenna jack. A "Cantenna" will get you there.... works like a Yagi But I've done 12 miles on 300mw...

Dave

Ok here's what I used to get my set up working.

The transmitter, receiver from the 6br add 2.4 gig 700mw pd $185
A tripod for the camera. bought at a yard sale for $5.00
Sony handy cam with 60x manual zoom. pd $150. (used)
Gel motor cycle 12volt battery $90.00
Plastic Milk crate to set battery in, and attach the tripod and camera too. with wheels and a handle to pull it around.
A inverter pd $10.00 for at a clearance sale at Tractor Supply Co. Which runs the camera and the transmitter.
High gain antenna $58.00 plus s&h.
A 7" auto tv- free I plan on upgrading to a Flat screen 19".

Now for the how's it work. Out to 500 yds it works good, but if the wind is up, it causes signal loss. So I also bought a dipole antenna to boost the signal. It is a 12db good for about 2 miles line of sight. It works very good at 1000yds.
I have now approx $600.00 in it with out the flat screen.
To make it portable I use the small 7" tv screen mounted on a wooden box with the receiver and have a connector that hooks up to my truck to power it up. Using the trailer connection. this way as i shoot prone out of the back of my truck or off the ground I can have it near me to see the bullets holes in the paper or hits on the steel.

there are cheaper alternatives to those who look though.
Hope this helps..

I built one of these a couple years ago, its currently for sale on ebay. search for "long range wireless target camera"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that would be one way to slip a for sale item in under the 100 post limit. </div></div>

He's been a member for five years and has 97 posts… I wouldn't exactly say that he is circumventing anything. If that was his agenda he could just go give 3 bullshit "nice job" posts.

I have the concept down pretty well. On the camera/transmitter end, how do you power the transmitter with a 12v motorcycle batter per say? A car/motorcycle battery has a positive and negative terminal. I am assuming the transmitter will come with a straight wall plug. How do you actually connect these two together?

Use soldier and some manual skills...

You can get all sorts of DC connectors for almost no money in any specialized store and alligator clamps...

My setup is:

70x optical panasonic camcorder
ebay 2W transmiter receiver combo
12V Liion pack for transmitter power
5V battery pack 4x18650 battery for camcorder
directional antenna of ebay

7"lcd screen (those for rearview cameras off ebay)
receiver part of the combo of ebay mentioned above
12V "motorcycle" battery as i had it on store

Runs 1km no problem and for more than 6h...

To improve:
HD cam/better screen -> for me not worth the extra cost
WIFI transmission would enable more cams to be connected to one transmitter and no interference if more systems on the line

Any updates? Anyone find any cheaper solutions like baby video monitors or anything?

We have spent the last year developing our TargetCam system. See our system at www.targetcam.net. There is a more detailed thread about it in the "Equipment" section.

In order to make a system that will work consistently for long range precision shooting, we tested a lot of different components and came up with what we feel is the best combination.

We get over 3000 yards line of site with our fully self contained ready to go out of the box units. With our system you get everything you need, ready to go, under warranty. You will set up our system the first time in about 30 seconds.

For more info please hit the link in my sig.

We are also an advertiser and sponsor of the Hide and are currently offering a discount of $70 to Hide members.

thanks
Keith Averill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates? Anyone find any cheaper solutions like baby video monitors or anything? </div></div>

There are applications for phones, at least for Android.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates? Anyone find any cheaper solutions like baby video monitors or anything? </div></div>

There are applications for phones, at least for Android. </div></div>

Like what?

Remote Web Desktop, for instance

MyIPCam free version sends pic from phone camera image to web every 30sec.

Hey, I was getting ready to buy a "baby cam" for mty 8 week old. Any reason I couldn't use one of these in my own house?