• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Do not bed the rear tang of a Savage action?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    I thought (can't find anything with searching) that I have read several posts about <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> bedding the rear tang of a Savage action.

Just finished this stock, and fully bedded it tang to barrel nut...

First range trip shot decent for factory Prvi (bought it mainly for the brass)- but there's always room for improvement. Like to hear from anyone that's had better consistency with free-floating the rear tang (and if you have a theory as to why that might be...)

IMAG0694.jpg

Re: Do not bed the rear tang of a Savage action?

all the savages i have had have always been beaded in a stock with a aluminum bedding block never went any farther than that but i can tell you that my gun was real picky with the way the rear of the action was bedded i ended up removing material from the tang area to free float it and it seemed to shoot a little more consistent

On a Savage the rear tang should be free floated because there is no mounting bolt that goes thru it like on a Remington. The bedding should really go between the recoil lug and the rear action screw.

Will it hurt anything? Can't say. It depends on how stress free your bedding job was.

PPU sux in my rifle. Buy a box of Fed GMM and check the results.

Thanks. I'll Dremel out the epoxy under the tang, float it and see what happens. I can always re-bed it if the unexpected happens. Diesel- thanks- makes sense because of the location of the rear action screw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PPU sux in my rifle. Buy a box of Fed GMM and check the results. </div></div>

I only shot the PPU because I wanted the brass for reloading. I do the same thing for my Mosin sporter. 7-08 Winchester brass is $.50 a case, loaded PPU FMJ's are $.75... so I get to send some rounds to get a feel for the rifle at $.25 round.

I don't buy match ammo (FGGM or any other) because I handload...

My point is do not assume it is a rifle issue. I have shot ppu through my match rifle and it is moa plus. With fgmm or handloads even I can get it to .3moa.

Thanks. I'll Dremel out the epoxy under the tang, float it and see what happens.
    iPad.gif