• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do you clean your suppressor?

I have an Ultra 7 gen 1 and 2 and I thought the gen 1 weighed close to 12 new. What was the original weight?

close if direct thread…
I’ve got CB at 12.5 oz (and soaking)…

Calibers.30 caliber, up to .300 RUM
6.5 mm caliber, up to 6.5 mm / .264" caliber
MaterialTitanium
Length7 inches
Diameter1.5 inches
MountsCB series brake or flash hider, and
Direct Thread
Weight9.7 ounces (CB mount)
11.5 ounces (direct thread)
Threads (Brake or Direct Thread)1/2-28*, 5/8-24, 9/16-24, 3/4-24, 3/4-28, M18x1.0, M18x1.5
* Note: The 1/2-28 brake has part number 223CB-BRK:1/2-28 and has a .223 caliber aperture!
FinishBlack CeraKote; OD Green or FDE available
Brake MaterialHeat-treated 17-4 stainless
Brake FinishIonbond DLC

Reactions: lash
All of my TBAC suppressors are made for use with the Compact Brake (CB) mount, and though I never weighed the 1st Ultra 7 before shooting it, I'd guess the 9.7oz in the specs chart above would be within a tenth of an ounce of what mine should weigh if clean...so I've still got almost 2oz to get removed.

I put my Gen 1 Ultra 7 in the deep freeze a couple of days ago, intending to get it out after an overnight, but got too busy, and so didn't flush it with tap water until last evening. Then put it into the US cleaner with fresh Simple Green & distilled water. I was home all evening last night, so kept re-starting the US after every 14 min cycle, probably ran 6 of these cycles, and then left it soaking overnight. So this morning when I pulled it out and flushed with tap water, there was by far the biggest amount of carbon that I'd yet seen - some of it pretty decent-sized chunks - that came out. I stuck a finger into the blast chamber, and felt quite a few of the lumps of carbon that were still left simply wipe off the walls of the chamber with little pressure from my finger. This appears to be by far the best single thing I've done to remove carbon. Makes me think about getting one of the flushing wands to work over the baffles, but filling it with tap water while holding a finger over the aperture and shaking it got a bunch more carbon out. Will take it out to the shop and blow it as dry as I can with compressed air, then weigh it again. Thanks a bunch for the freezing tip!

50/50 concentrate and water. Yes, lay the can in sideways. It’s the only way it fits in mine. I do turn it sometimes between cycles and have even picked it up and Shawn the simple green in it between cycles to help loosen gunk up. I don’t use a rack in my USC and just lay it on the stainless bottom. No damage to the coating.

It is not recommended to use CLR on stainless steel appliances, though CLR says it is fine to use inside a stainless dishwasher. Partly that is due to the simple fact that so many “stainless steel” appliances are not in fact true stainless steel. As for actual stainless steel, CLR is good to go. I wouldn’t worry about it:
Thanks just got an ultra sonic cleaner. I already have a jug of simple green. I don't think I will start until after the weekend though. 🤔

Thanks just got an ultra sonic cleaner. I already have a jug of simple green. I don't think I will start until after the weekend though. 🤔
I just finished cleaning mine again after letting it go too long and then failing to clean it in a timely manner. So a lot of built up carbon in there. I used some anti-seize on the threads and a cork on the thread end, then set it in a jar and used a small funnel to pour clr in it. The initial foaming reaction made it take a while to get it filled.

Left it in there for about 1/2 hour, a bunch of carbon came out with the foam. Then with gloves on, I shook it a bunch and poured out the resulting black gunk. Rinsed it well with fresh water, then put it into the Ultrasonic with Simple green solution. Ran that for many 8 minute cycles off and on for about a day. Periodically picking it up and shaking the solution around and pouring it out.

Then removed it, drained the gunk out, flushed it with water again and set it under a fan to dry for a while. Looks good inside now.

Mine are pretty open in the back with their qd set up. I can scrape out the blast chamber with a screwdriver and picks. I am going to weigh them. My USC will run 30 minute cycles and heat the liquid to 80C 176F.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Mine are pretty open in the back with their qd set up. I can scrape out the blast chamber with a screwdriver and picks. I am going to weigh them. My USC will run 30 minute cycles and heat the liquid to 80C 176F.
That’s because you bought a good one, lol. You should go fine with it. Let us know how it goes.

That’s because you bought a good one, lol. You should go fine with it. Let us know how it goes.
The one I got cost less than the one from Harbor freight.

I will edit this post with the results.

YHM TI Phantom 30 cal 17.74oz Listed 15oz

YHM 5.56 SS QD 23.13oz listed 20oz

I am sure I have scraped 3 or 4 ounces over carbon out of the the blast chambers. I wasn't expecting my silicone suppressor cover to weigh almost 6oz. I wont be carrying that hunting anymore. LOL

Last edited:
The one I got cost less than the one from Harbor freight.

I will edit this post with the results.

YHM TI Phantom 30 cal 17.74oz Listed 15oz

YHM 5.56 SS QD 23.34oz listed 20oz

I am sure I have scraped 3 or 4 ounces over carbon out of the the blast chambers. I wasn't expecting my silicone suppressor cover to weigh almost 6oz. I wont be carrying that hunting anymore. LOL
Which US unit did you buy?

Also, how’s it going with the suppressor cleaning?

Which US unit did you buy?

Also, how’s it going with the suppressor cleaning?
Last day of the weekend. I will probably start tomorrow. If you get on ebay the one I bought is the 3 liter that is 64-69 dollars. I will get some pictures and specifics with an update. I know I have some CLR around too. I am not sure what I have to play the end of a suppressor. You think the CLR makes a difference? I was thinking about just US and simple green. Maybe a freeze. I am sure I can make some kind 90 degree water pick to rinse out the baffles.

I wonder how many rounds of 223 it took to put 3oz in the SS can vs 3oz in the 30 cal can.

Last day of the weekend. I will probably start tomorrow. If you get on ebay the one I bought is the 3 liter that is 64-69 dollars. I will get some pictures and specifics with an update. I know I have some CLR around too. I am not sure what I have to play the end of a suppressor. You think the CLR makes a difference? I was thinking about just US and simple green. Maybe a freeze. I am sure I can make some kind 90 degree water pick to rinse out the baffles.

I wonder how many rounds of 223 it took to put 3oz in the SS can vs 3oz in the 30 cal can.
100%, sir! I have US'd a can until nothing came out but clean water, filled it with CLR and let is soak for an hour, and then US'd again and the tank was black as night from all the carbon that the CLR softened up enough to be shaken loose. As an aside, when using simple green I get the aircraft version. It is WAY more concentrated!

Reactions: supercorndogs
I know some who are concerned about using CLR and I understand, but I’m like @nikonNUT in that I find the pre-treat with CLR really quickens the process.

As to plugging the end of your can, I go to Ace Hardware and buy the correct sized cork for like $0.45 and it works like charm.

True, but my dumbass has this 9” suppressor, so I just plugged one end and stood it up in a tall bottle. Too cheap to waste the 25-30 oz of CLR, heh, heh.

My simple green is so old it's turned to simple brown. 🤣 I filled the tank with 50/50 mix and put the suppressors in to soak while the tank heated up. Then I logged in. So I took them back out blew them out with air some. Cut open a tall smart water bottle. Plugged the ends with foam ear plugs and filled them with CLR. My tank has gone from 21C to 40C in about 20 minutes. Target 80C about what you cook a turkey to. I wonder if I can fashion an ar-15 gas tube to the garden hose for a 90 degree rinse. I recon I got gorilla tape. So definitely can. 🤣🤣🤣

I wish I had one of those water ballon fillers around. I bet it would be easy to fashion a gas tube to one of them. I might have to run by the store tomorrow after work.

My current plan is CLR soak for an hour. US clean for 30 minutes. Rinse, blow out, weigh, put in the freezer and go to bed. Start over tomorrow after work when I have a little more time before bed. I wonder if the CLR is still doing anything when its stopped bubbling?

Attachments

• 20230910_192749.jpg
    20230910_192749.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230910_192800.jpg
    20230910_192800.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230910_194909.jpg
    20230910_194909.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
After listening to the TBAC/RO podcast, I'm thinkin I might wanna clean my Sandman-S. Of course TFM says no cleaning needed. Anyone tried CLR on a Dead Air? I was worried about the finish, but then I remembered I shoot my shit, and also 9/10 times I have a suppressor cover.

Reactions: nikonNUT and lash
The 1 hour CLR soak is done. It was still bubbling so I saved the CLR in a jar. I rinsed it with hot water in the sink. I could see some carbon rinse out, and the first baffles and blast chambers are noticeably cleaner looking. I blew them out with compressed air for a while until I didn't see any more moister seeping out either way. The TI can weighted 17.74, the SS was 23.20. So no real weight change yet. I assume the carbon has probably absorbed some liquid and weighs more now. I just dropped them in the USC for a 30 minute cycle.

I wonder if the carbon absorbs water then the water cracks it when it freezes. I wonder if a good dawn dish soap and hot water soak, then dry and freeze would do as much good as anything.

Anyone use anything like this with the rinse and USC?

1694402896892.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and nikonNUT
After listening to the TBAC/RO podcast, I'm thinkin I might wanna clean my Sandman-S. Of course TFM says no cleaning needed. Anyone tried CLR on a Dead Air? I was worried about the finish, but then I remembered I shoot my shit, and also 9/10 times I have a suppressor cover.
The only change I had seen on my DA Mask is that the golden/straw brown baffles change color back to plain old silver. Checked with DA on that and they said no worries.BTW. I did the CLR treatment on my Hybrid 46 and no issues or harm.

Last edited:
The simple green mix in my USC looks nasty and black now. I started a second 30 minute cycle. I am torn if I should.

1. Let it soak in the simple green all night.

2. Refill with the saved the CLR overnight.

3. Put in the freezer over night.

I think that your idea to put it in the freezer might help. After the clr I do believe that there is still water in the carbon and a freeze would help loosen the carbon build up even more.

They went in the freezer overnight. Weights are at 22.89 and 17.5. I am going to fill them CLR again and let it soak until I have to leave. I will rinse them and dump them in the USC before I leave to soak in simple green for the day.

True, but my dumbass has this 9” suppressor, so I just plugged one end and stood it up in a tall bottle. Too cheap to waste the 25-30 oz of CLR, heh, heh.

I just pour it back into the container after I'm done.
I do let it settle so the bulk of the carbon isn't put back into the container.

Seems you already found your answer but if you just stir it up the bubbles will start up actively again, not as much as a fresh pour but it’ll still work.
I did not really find an answer, but it also hasn't stopped bubbling. It has stopped bubbling so much its foaming up.

The second CLR soak took out more weight than the first one. I don't know if was due to freezing or the previous cleaning cycle. Down to 22.8 and 17.38. I don't have time to run USC this morning. They will sit in the simple green until this afternoon.

Last edited:
20230611_164504.jpg
20230612_150128.jpg

This is from a clr soak and some manual scraping. Both ends of the Omega are accessible to get the buildup out.

20230914_210645.jpg

I weighed the TI several times and it was basically the same weight after the last cleaning. I oiled it up and got it ready to go, then decided to run one more cycle and see what the weight is. There is still stuff coming out of the SS. So I was going to cycle it anyway. Each cycle is a CLR soak and an ultra sonic cleaning. The CLR soaks ranged from 1-4 hours the usc time was about 1 hour each at 80C. I also I have a soft hammer I have been beating on them with since about 4 cycles from the end. It really helps break more stuff loose while rinsing. It started breaking the carbon deposits away from the sides. Then I could break them with a long screw driver and shake them out. I think the TI is done but we will see after the current cycle. It sounds a lot diffrent with the air hose in it now and water runs through it way faster.

I keep getting 15.51 and 15.48 on the TI. Last night I was getting 15.55,15.51, and 15.48. The SS is coming up 21.54 every time. I thought it was all done then I heard a piece of carbon rattling around in the TI. It was about the size of a pea. At what point do you change your CLR and/or simple green USC mixture? They are pretty dirty. I think ,maybe I will drop them in the freezer while I wait for replies.

Now that you have done a major cleaning, it is much easier to maintain if you do it more regularly. That’s how it had worked for myself and a couple other friends. Now I don’t let it build up for thousands of rounds and clean it about 400-500 ish. This last one took one 1/2 hour CLR soak and a few cycles in the US and it’s good. Basically an overnight thing.

So I learned that regular cleaning is easier, just like with barrels. Do you suppose there’s a correlation there somewhere? 😁😄

I keep getting 15.51 and 15.48 on the TI. Last night I was getting 15.55,15.51, and 15.48. The SS is coming up 21.54 every time. I thought it was all done then I heard a piece of carbon rattling around in the TI. It was about the size of a pea. At what point do you change your CLR and/or simple green USC mixture? They are pretty dirty. I think ,maybe I will drop them in the freezer while I wait for replies.
So this is my centerfire routine...
1) Get home from work, fill can with CLR, and go to bed.
2) Next morning dump out CLR and rinse.
3) Get home from work, US for an hour or so, fill with CLR, and go to bed.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for a total of 3 cycles so 24 to 36 hours total CLR immersion.
5) US can until it stops barfing carbon into the tank water.
Go and shoot! My Hybrid 46 looks unfired when I am done and I'm pretty sure my drain pipes looks amazing too! Maybe a little carbon-y. :LOL:
As an aside, I have seen very little ROI using heated water but I am not knocking it by any means whatsoever!

I knocked a bunch more out of both with new cleaning liquids and running them one at a time in the drip tray. Instead of dropping them both in the bottom of the tank. My USC sounds a lot diffrent and agitates the water a lot more with one in the drip tray instead of them both sitting on the bottom.

Looking at it from either end they look perfectly clean but they are still dropping some big nuggets out of the middle.

Weighing them and doing it at one ounce seems like a good approach. Taking out one ounce didn't take very long.

I knocked a bunch more out of both with new cleaning liquids and running them one at a time in the drip tray. Instead of dropping them both in the bottom of the tank. My USC sounds a lot diffrent and agitates the water a lot more with one in the drip tray instead of them both sitting on the bottom.

Looking at it from either end they look perfectly clean but they are still dropping some big nuggets out of the middle.

Weighing them and doing it at one ounce seems like a good approach. Taking out one ounce didn't take very long.
Yeah. If your cans are resting against the metal US tank you are defiantely killing the vibe (HA!). Metal on metal jacks with the transducers efficency.

The TI was weighing 15.37-15.31 last night. I CLR soaked them overnight. I could see the carbon in the CLR in the SS can. The CLR in the TI can was clear. I USC'd them for for about an hour and half with with about another hour of just hot soaking. The TI was showing 15.34-15.30. The SS dropped about a half ounce 21. I can still hear big chunks rattling in it. I am CLR soaking the TI with it just to see if it looses some weight. Again. I think about 15.3 is going to be baseline clean for it.

I managed to get them both in the drip tray.

For sealed cans, I think THE TICKET might be to encase them in some thin protective silicone sleeve and giving them a ”three hour tour” in a submerged-in-CLR vibratory separator machine.