• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you have back up power

My family would travel every summer from the NY/NJ area to Martha's Vineyard for vacation. Of course, we'd have to take the ferry across from Woods Hole.

In the earlier days, the "Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship Authority" ("Steamship Authority") actually still ran steamers back and forth (they're all diesel powered now). The last steamer in service (the SS "Naushon" , formerly the SS Nantucket), was fueled with #6 Bunker C. It had to be heated to 135˚F before it could be pumped off the truck. I happened to be there once as the Naushon was preparing to leave port for the first time that day and saw the #6 Bunker C truck delivering fuel to the vessel.

These days, the terminal itself gets a delivery of diesel fuel from the "Diesel Direct" truck 3 times a week. It appears to be delivered to a central storage tank underground. I am therefore curious as to how the fuel gets from that storage tank to the boats. I never see any of them fueling. Furthermore, for the boats that stay overnight on the islands, how do hey get fueled?

Woods Hole Terminal. The Diesel Direct truck usually gets there between 7:30a - 8:00a, MWF.

They probably refuel directly from a truck delivered at night. I bet they buy direct on long term contracts from the fuel distributor or maybe even further up the supply chain. Ships built to carry freight in regular runs have enormous fuel capacities and can go a long way before refueling.

When I worked on fishing boats, we refueled maybe once a month if the openings were short, and once a week if we had multi-day openings. I know the ocean going ships tried to stay topped off if their credit was good. When we refueled, we picked a time when there was no one else around. Usually at night around 10 PM or even later.

I had the opportunity to witness a colossal mistake on the part of an electrical contractor that didn’t understand the instructions for the install. Has anyone ever got to see what happens when you get a 400kw genset powered up - then go directly to mains utility power out of phase?

Before any of the so-called safeties could react - the genset was instantly locked up, crankshaft broken, and the entire enclosed unit jump 6” to the side with a huge fireball out of the ATS. Spectacular but expensive!

• Wow
Reactions: Oldloser and BLEE
I had the opportunity to witness a colossal mistake on the part of an electrical contractor that didn’t understand the instructions for the install. Has anyone ever got to see what happens when you get a 400kw genset powered up - then go directly to mains utility power out of phase?

Before any of the so-called safeties could react - the genset was instantly locked up, crankshaft broken, and the entire enclosed unit jump 6” to the side with a huge fireball out of the ATS. Spectacular but expensive!
Wiring the ATS wrong happens more often than it should, this is the reason so many want a 3rd party inspection done prior to closure of the load breaker. People have been trapped in elevators, patients being whacked on via the battery backup lights only, all motors on line now running backwards ect.

XYZ power downtown Bhm smoked their Cats, back during the peak shaving days. Got called in to do a failure report, phase rotation was correct, Hertz & Voltage was good. However the last permissive relay in the chain is always the sync-check relay which was never in from the drawing board. When the tie breaker closed she was just about perfect at 120 degrees out of phase, which is the worst spot, period. In the trade when you walk in and oil, coolant & alternator parts are all over the floor, the term we use is, looks like she became un-cunted.

Their also have been times when you get the call, man I can't stop her from running, we even killed the fuel and its still running. Oh no its not its motoring, open the breaker & she will stop. Then if you have not smoked her, wire the ATS correctly dipshit. That kind of stuff happens at times with small units (< 1Mw) Wait until med to large shit (2-40 Mw) goes bang. The bang is one thing, the interesting action happens in the board rooms, when they are reading the failure report.

Wiring the ATS wrong happens more often than it should, this is the reason so many want a 3rd party inspection done prior to closure of the load breaker.

Which is why I had a professional electrician do my Transfer Switch in the garage, next to the main panel.

A510C_50933_600.jpg

Once the generator is running, I use the upper bracket of switches to toggle back and forth between the main line power and generator power, for the circuits I have installed. There's only 10 and 4 of them are occupied by the HVAC. So, I picked things like the Refrigerator, my private computer lines, the master bedroom, and the living room (which also services the outdoor lighting). When I ran the gen this past Memorial day, it started to get dark about 8pm. But the outdoor lights stayed on. It's how I knew the power had been restored as the garage lights suddenly came on around 9pm.

Good thing, as neighborhood "quiet hours" begin at 10pm,. :eek:

So what are the alternatives to Generac for homeowners? Generac has the marketing, from online to big displays at hardware retailers, locked down.

Where should residential consumers look?

They probably refuel directly from a truck delivered at night. I bet they buy direct on long term contracts from the fuel distributor or maybe even further up the supply chain. Ships built to carry freight in regular runs have enormous fuel capacities and can go a long way before refueling.

Then I wonder why there would be an "auxiliary" truck making a delivery to a central storage tank every M-W-F around 7:30a - 8:00a. When that truck arrives, it's often likely that all the boats are underway. So it wouldn't be a direct delivery to the boat(s).

Look towards the end of this video and you'll see the "Diesel Direct" truck delivering a load of fuel, even though the boat has not yet arrived. Skip to 13:00 and you will clearly see the Diesel Direct truck on the far left, although there are no boats docked at the time. As the videographer boards the boat, you'll see the hose from the Diesel Direct truck laid out on the ground into an internal port.

Now, maybe they have like a private pumper truck that delivers to the boats "overnight" like you suggest (similar to how aircraft in major airports take fuel from a centralized farm but delivered by pumper trucks (with no tank on them), as opposed to a tanker truck). Although I have seen no evidence of that when watching the live feeds overnight. Maybe it happens at like 1-2am when I'm asleep. But it would also not explain how boats that are overnighted on the islands get fueled.

So what are the alternatives to Generac for homeowners? Generac has the marketing, from online to big displays at hardware retailers, locked down.

I'd find a reputable licensed electrician and ensure you get a 3rd party inspection. Then get a service contract. A mid sized electrical service firm can do it turn key. Watch out for the salesmen who broker you out.

• Wow
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Then I wonder why there would be an "auxiliary" truck making a delivery to a central storage tank every M-W-F around 7:30a - 8:00a. When that truck arrives, it's often likely that all the boats are underway. So it wouldn't be a direct delivery to the boat(s).

Look towards the end of this video and you'll see the "Diesel Direct" truck delivering a load of fuel, even though the boat has not yet arrived. Skip to 13:00 and you will clearly see the Diesel Direct truck on the far left, although there are no boats docked at the time. As the videographer boards the boat, you'll see the hose from the Diesel Direct truck laid out on the ground into an internal port.

Now, maybe they have like a private pumper truck that delivers to the boats "overnight" like you suggest (similar to how aircraft in major airports take fuel from a centralized farm but delivered by pumper trucks (with no tank on them), as opposed to a tanker truck). Although I have seen no evidence of that when watching the live feeds overnight. Maybe it happens at like 1-2am when I'm asleep. But it would also not explain how boats that are overnighted on the islands get fueled.

Good questions. I looked through the public documents and found the following:

1. Is that refueling daily? If not, on what days of the week does that refueling take place?
    The refueling generally takes place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
  2. At what approximate time of day are those fuel deliveries made?
    The truck generally arrives around 6:30 a.m. to fuel two of the ferries and then returns around 9:00 a.m. to fuel the other two ferries.
  3. Are the fuel trucks approximately the same size and weight as the fuel trucks that the SSA carries daily to the Vineyard? No. The truck usually is 38 feet long and holds 5,900 gallons of fuel.

They may be dropping into the fuel bunker from the trucks and then there is a hard to see line that bunkers the ships.

Reactions: Fx51LP308
I have 20 gallons total in my four 5 gallon containers, I'm not sure I'd want a 40 gallon bladder because I don't know that I could use all of that before the gasoline goes bad, even with STA-BIL protecting it. It helps to rent a car/truck occasionally, as I can put the gas from the containers into that rented vehicle and then refill the containers and get fresh gas in them..
Only filled when a serious power outage is expected. So hopefully never

Reactions: Fx51LP308

Many choices, one of our own MadDuner builds them.
Then there is Onan, Kohler, Katolight, Kubota just to name a few. One thing to keep in mind backup electrical power is not something to skimp on. You either pay for it up front or on the back side, the latter being 5-10X more money than up front. Buying a home set is like buying anything else, know what you need & what you want before talking to any sales guy. Diesel is more money up front vs gas, on anything 50Kw & down,but the heat rate on diesel is so much better. Contrary to internet B/S, diesel will last 10 years or better if treated properly when the tank is filled, and the fuel is polished every 4-5 years. Diesel is somewhat harder to silence but it can be done.
Once to Know the genset your after, if your going w/a automatic system the ATS is next. Here again its Kohler, Onan, or ASCO but if ASCO stay away from the 300 series unless you install serious surge protection.
If you can get the units (new/used)with analog controls that is a plus. If it has an electronic speed control, make damn sure its not a stepper motor design. A Mag pickup design looking at the flywheel teeth vs Alternator hertz is light years ahead here, but again more up front money. The list of what is best for you should be based upon your Needs first, then wants second. If the guy/gal your dealing with tries to steer you into XYZ set that is not of your choosing, walk away. Remember its your money not theirs and your about to make an investment not a simple purchase.

Edit to add,... don't buy anything 3600rpm no matter who made it. If you really what quality 900 & 1200 rpm sets are best, 1800 rpm is OK to good, depending MFG

Last edited:
Good questions. I looked through the public documents and found the following:

1. Is that refueling daily? If not, on what days of the week does that refueling take place?
    The refueling generally takes place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
  2. At what approximate time of day are those fuel deliveries made?
    The truck generally arrives around 6:30 a.m. to fuel two of the ferries and then returns around 9:00 a.m. to fuel the other two ferries.

It's currently at 7:30a-8:00a In the summer time, it was 5:30a - 6:00a. Then again, there was an extra boat running during the summer.

1. Are the fuel trucks approximately the same size and weight as the fuel trucks that the SSA carries daily to the Vineyard? No. The truck usually is 38 feet long and holds 5,900 gallons of fuel.

They may be dropping into the fuel bunker from the trucks and then there is a hard to see line that bunkers the ships.

Wow! Thanks so much for that report! It answered a lot of questions about the operation in general, not just the fueling. It also confirmed some suspicions I've always had in re the "turf" wars between islanders and main landers. I can see why the main landers don't; want the trucks waking them up (especially along Woods Hole road). If you look at the video I posted earlier, The entire section from where you see the Gulf Station in Falmouth and where the car turns slightly left and then immediately slightly right is Woods Hole road, all the way to the ferry terminal landing. The Woods Hole CDP begins precisely at that right turn. Of course, the Islanders want all the deliveries they can get, whenever they can get them. The ealier, the better. At present, during the winter, the first boat leaves Woods Hole at 6:00am and is one of the main passenter boats. It does carry a bunch of freight trucks as well, including one of two "Refrirgerator Semis" for the Stop & Shop grocery chain. They deliver the daily provisions to the Stop & Shop store in Vineyard Haven. There are also other refrigerator Semi's that deliver to the "Cronig's State Market" grocery just up the street. At times, there is also another refrigerator truck for the "Reliable Market" in Oak Bluffs. There is no way on God's Green Earth the main landers are going to stop those deliveries, as early as they may be. Those deliveries are huge $$$ for the SSA and for the merchants on the island who depend on them. .

At roughtly 6:10 - 6:15a The first boat arrives from the Vineyeard. It's one of the freight boats It usually has the empty Stop & Shop refrigerator semi(s) from the previous day, and some flat bed & other trucks etc. etc. Once it's emptied, that freight boat then becomes the "Haz Mat" boat. All of the Fuel deliveries (oil, LP, #2 heating, etc.) go on that boat. There can be as many as 3 - 4 different LP tankers on that boat (either the Perry's or Pyrofax service).

During this past summer, there was a freight boat that left at 5:30a from WH and carried a lot of the smaller trucks that would, otherwise, go on the 6am passernger boat. This, plus some empty garbage trucks (which also return on the open air freight boats when full).

Yeah, I don't see the main landers having a chance to reduce the schedule. The Islanders (& the SSA) will have them for lunch!

Anyway, thanks for the report. Back to our scheduled generator discussion!

Last edited:
It's currently at 7:30a-8:00a In the summer time, it was 5:30a - 6:00a. Then again, there was an extra boat running during the summer.

Yeah, I don't see the main landers having a chance to reduce the schedule. The Islanders (& the SSA) will have them for lunch!

Anyway, thanks for the report. Back to our scheduled generator discussion!

Yeah , not to hi-jack. But the solution is to fix the state wharf and add a surcharge for trucks to use it and use that to pay the bonds on the repairs. Then let the trucks have dibs on the ferries going out of there. A local bank officer should step up and put the deal together and get commitments all around for X years. Maybe even get the mainlanders to buy the bonds. Easy to do but reading the news articles people are focused on the problem not fixing it.

The generator discussion is a good one. I am learning a lot. Sorry guys.

For the last 6 years, I've been quite proud I installed a 22kw Generac unit with ATS, installed by an electrician (this wasn't my usual DIY), fueled by a 500 gal propane tank (I live in the country). It's worked well when needed and I've bragged about it. However, after reading this thread, I'm second guessing my purchase and planning to have a PM done by someone who doesn't have a Generac badge on his shirt.

Thanks for the info

• Wow
Yeah , not to hi-jack. But the solution is to fix the state wharf and add a surcharge for trucks to use it and use that to pay the bonds on the repairs. Then let the trucks have dibs on the ferries going out of there. A local bank officer should step up and put the deal together and get commitments all around for X years. Maybe even get the mainlanders to buy the bonds. Easy to do but reading the news articles people are focused on the problem not fixing it.

The generator discussion is a good one. I am learning a lot. Sorry guys.
I would like them to fix the New Bedford Wharf (there actually was a privately owned boat - passenger only called the Shamonchi that ran New Bedford to MVY). It was great for traffic comming from NY - CT - RI, or Fall River. They didn't have to drive all the way to WH. The SSA took care of that pretty quickly.

I suspect that most of the truck/freight traffic these days comes from the other direction (i.e. up and down I-495 to/from the Boston route). To have them re-route to New Bedford might take longer and cost more. The carriers would balk. And the SSA doesn't want to upset them. Oddly enough, the trucks that might actually benefit from it are the Stop & Shop trucks. Their big distribution center is in Assonet, just north of Fall River.

For the last 6 years, I've been quite proud I installed a 22kw Generac unit with ATS, installed by an electrician (this wasn't my usual DIY), fueled by a 500 gal propane tank (I live in the country). It's worked well when needed and I've bragged about it. However, after reading this thread, I'm second guessing my purchase and planning to have a PM done by someone who doesn't have a Generac badge on his shirt.

Thanks for the info

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I'm told (by a fellow that was trying to sell me a Solar Panel system and all the back up battery stuff they shilled for with it) that the Generac "generator" units themselves aren't all that bad. It's all the other stuff like their battery backups (from Solar) that suck. Of course, I knew he was trying to sell me his overinflated gear so I took that with a grain of salt. I elected to not go Solar. Way too expensive to have the panel array and the batteries, especially when considering the panels would need to be replaced after 20 years. And the insurance to cover it? Fugghedaboutit! They (the power co. actually) wanted me to have $1M in liability insurance if the array generated over 10KWH. This, to cover any liability that might arise from any back feeds and damage to the Power company. That would be an extra $2000.00 to the regular Homeowners premium Even if I promised to keep it "off grid," they still wanted me to pay.

Not worth it. I'd only be benefiting if I went with an EV. Not going for an EV, anyway.

Last edited:
or do you just wait for it to come back on? How many have inventive ways to ride thru for 3+ days w/o endangering heating, food supply, darkness, security, ect? If you're running a generator w/o going off site, who long are you good for?
We use a Kohler whole house generator (22kW) with its ATS. I have a 1,000-gallon buried propane tank which should be good for almost 3 weeks. We run on oil heat and I have a 1,000-gallon oil tank.

If power isn't within 3 weeks, it isn't coming back on.

Last edited:
I have perimeter solar lighting
I have two generators. One for whole house direct plug in
One smaller generator for essentials in case large generator fails or use less gas for linger periods
Gallons gas always in hand in cans
75 gallons of gas in boat available
120 pounds propane

Ran like this two weeks longest so far after Hurricane Ian when no power in area for two weeks

I also have well and septic

One smaller generator for essentials in case large generator fails or use less gas for linger periods
My whole house (25KW) would run until the N/G fails then I'd valve on the 2x250 gallon LP tanks and use that one sparingly. When I built it(2.3Ford) I set it up for tri fuel. Also have a small 1800rpm 5kw that just sips gas (or can be switched to N/G or L/P as well) that would become the main, but at night I switch to inverters from the battery bank in the shop. Its a cell sight gel set that will run the house for 5 days w/o recharging (no A/C though) if need be, but anytime either gensets would be running it would be recharging also, as most gensets are way more fuel efficient at 50% load & higher. I've keep the solar panels (2.5KW) and all related stored until they had to be used, just to stave off prying eyes.

Reactions: MadDuner
or do you just wait for it to come back on? How many have inventive ways to ride thru for 3+ days w/o endangering heating, food supply, darkness, security, ect? If you're running a generator w/o going off site, who long are you good for?
In a remodel we did several years ago, I had the contractor add an outside generator circuit panel, and I have a big rolling Honda generator. When the power goes out, like it did a couple of weeks ago during a big snow storm, I roll out the generator, set it on the back porch, grab the 220 cable designed into the breaker box, fire up the generator, and throw the breakers on the generator panel. Viola ... power to the refrigerator, the microwave, the pellet stove, and the power outlets in the kitchen and living room. We had lights, heat, cooking, and a cold refrigerator/freezer. Did the whole setup for maybe $1,000 total ... pretty cheap since the remodel was in progress anyway so we had the electrician working as part of that. Oh, and I always keep about 30 gallons of gasoline on-hand. This last outage was only about 5 hours long, but I could easily go "days" if necessary. I've also got lots of MRE's and Ammo ... so while being short of classifying myself as a "Prepper" ... I do feel "prepared" to self-sustain for an extended period of time.

I've also got lots of MRE's and Ammo ... so while being short of classifying myself as a "Prepper" ... I do feel "prepared" to self-sustain for an extended period of time.
I'm no prepper, but when young, was taught to never rely on others for your or your family's safety. Every time I have the opportunity to increase it I do, as inked paper or numbers on a ledger sheet do not provide protein or calories unless someone is willing to take it in trade. Like you I much prefer self reliance, over herd mentality.

So all this got me thinking ... What constitutes a "Prepper"? Is it someone stocked up on long-shelf-life food and water? Someone with a meaningful generator system to power fridge/heat/etc.? Is it someone well-armed and trained to protect their homestead? Is it "(d) all of the above? Over the last few years, I've thought about how I'd take care of my family in emergency conditions, and for how long I'd need to plan for loss of power, water, fuel, etc. This morning, after reading some of this thread, I think I have to look at myself in a mirror and admit it ... maybe join a Prepper 12-Step Program. "Hi, my name is Rusty and I'm a prepper." (Attendees) "HI RUSTY !!!"

So all this got me thinking ... What constitutes a "Prepper"? Is it someone stocked up on long-shelf-life food and water? Someone with a meaningful generator system to power fridge/heat/etc.? Is it someone well-armed and trained to protect their homestead? Is it "(d) all of the above? Over the last few years, I've thought about how I'd take care of my family in emergency conditions, and for how long I'd need to plan for loss of power, water, fuel, etc. This morning, after reading some of this thread, I think I have to look at myself in a mirror and admit it ... maybe join a Prepper 12-Step Program. "Hi, my name is Rusty and I'm a prepper." (Attendees) "HI RUSTY !!!"
I grew up on a farm in rural North Dakota.... where the roads would get buried in snow and the rural power would be out for weeks at a time. They didn’t call it “prepping” back then. It was just “surviving” the winter by being self-reliant, resourceful, and having food stocked for those “inconveniences” that now constitute an “emergency” for lots of people. If everyone prepared for those “inconveniences” their lives would be easier when things go wrong.

I was raised on a farm in Indiana and it was the same. Neighbor helped neighbor, if the road running past you house/property was impassable each farmer cleared what was his. If the farm next door could not do theirs for whatever reason, they'd ask to borrow your tractor or if you could do theirs until they got back on their feet. We always kept enough food on hand until the end of the next growing season and fed anyone that came by who was hungry. The world we grew up in is gone & I don't think it will ever return. :(

Unfortunately the gas is pumped with electricity so in a major event its gone also.... That was a very cold week learning that one.
Change it into a dual fuel & have LP as back up. Or a tri fuel where its either N/G. LP, or Gasoline. If its a 3600 rpm set you'll need to change the timing depending on drawing board design. Most all 1800rpm sets, there is nothing to change unless you're looking for that last few KW.

Change it into a dual fuel & have LP as back up. Or a tri fuel where its either N/G. LP, or Gasoline. If its a 3600 rpm set you'll need to change the timing depending on drawing board design. Most all 1800rpm sets, there is nothing to change unless you're looking for that last few KW.
I went with off grid solar I only know there's a power failure if the kids call asking to come over to charge there game things...

so first off, anyone who loses food due to power being off during a snow or ice storm deserves to not eat. Living in an area that experiences power outages, I have propane heat for the house, a propane stove in my shop. A wood stove in my shop. and two generators that can run both in times of need.

so first off, anyone who loses food due to power being off during a snow or ice storm deserves to not eat. Living in an area that experiences power outages, I have propane heat for the house, a propane stove in my shop. A wood stove in my shop. and two generators that can run both in times of need.

And that's the key. I don't live in such an area... not "yet" anyway. Right now, my electric company seems capable enough to keep us all powered without much interruption at all. And, since our utilities are all "underground" in my neighborhood, the risk of a pole falling or something like that is much less. Only if one of those main feeder lines (or a substation) goes, might there be that issue. Or, if they take it down deliberately for maintenance.

That said, with the continued subdivision development in this area, I don't know if our electric company will be able to keep up with the demands of our expanding community.

I would not go as far as to say someone "deserves to not eat." But I would call it a Darwin Award. As in, survival of the fittest. Fitness, in this case, is having enough foresight and budget constraint to get stuff like generators, etcetera.

Last edited:
And that's the key. I don't live in such an area... not "yet" anyway. Right now, my electric company seems capable enough to keep us all powered without much interruption at all. And, since our utilities are all "underground" in my neighborhood, the risk of a pole falling or something like that is much less. Only if one of those main feeder lines (or a substation) goes, might there be that issue. Or, if they take it down deliberately for maintenance.

That said, with the continued subdivision development in this area, I don't know if our electric company will be able to keep up with the demands of our expanding community.
FWIW, they seem to get better with more population. I used to have power outages that lasted days. Over the decades, as the population spread toward me and subdivisions replaced the woods and fields, power rarely goes out anymore at all, and when it does it is back on in a couple of hours.

How long can you live without leaving your property for a single supply ?

FWIW, they seem to get better with more population. I used to have power outages that lasted days. Over the decades, as the population spread toward me and subdivisions replaced the woods and fields, power rarely goes out anymore at all, and when it does it is back on in a couple of hours.

I did some checking and discovered that my electric cooperative sources its power from another cooperative that owns the generating stations. My cooperative is just the "distributor" of that sourced power. See here: https://wrec.net/source-power

Maybe we do have a chance of improvement with greater growth.

I have a power inverter for my truck. Maintenance free, don't have to worry about fuel going bad. Run a power cord from the inverter to my house.
1706845539432.png

5000W Power Inverter 4 AC Outlets 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with 2 USB Ports​

• [POTEK 5000WATT POWER INVERTER] provides 5000 watts continuous power, 10000 watts surge power to charge your multiple electronic devices.
  • [MULTI-PURPOSE CHARGING] :With 2A*2 usb port and 4 AC outlets,ideal for charging cell phones, laptops,water dispensers,air compressor,refrigerator,coffer maker,electric motor saw,etc
  • [MULTI-PROTECTION]: Provides protection against overload,overheat,low voltage,high voltage and short circuit.
  • [INTELLIGENT COOLING FAN]: Smart cooling fan makes it silent when temperature range of heatsink is below 104℉ and can also save battery’s electricity for longer utility time
  • • Power (4 AC Outlets): 5000W Rated, 10000W Peak

• USB output: DC 5V/2A

• Nominal input voltage:12.8-13.2VDC

• Nominal output voltage: 110-125VDV

• Output wave: modified sine wave

• Battery cables:Three black,three red,3.28′
During the last ice storm we had rolling blackouts and would lose power. Both of my 2500W Coleman Gas Generators were having problems. We actually used this cup holder inverter in the truck with an extension cord run to the house to provide power for our television, satellite, WiFi, and two laptops. It worked so well I got the 5000w inverter and wired hookups to both of our trucks. I keep the inverter inside.
1706846295417.png

Last edited:
So you leave your truck idling, or how does that work?
Yes, just leave the truck idling, works fine. Not exactly the most economical method, but if your car runs, it will always work. Plus, I have three cars, so i have primary, alternate, and emergency "generators". We rarely have power outages, none in the last three years, so this is cheap insurance for an emergency. Way more reliable than generators that require constant maintenance. Plus, you don't have to run out and change generator oil, re-fill every four hours, etc. I've spent my life around generators and they are a pain in the ass, like any small engine.

Last edited:
I've been around a lot of generators. Yes, I can read a manual and know how to store them. You still have to deal with fouled carbs, constant refueling, and frequent oil changes. We're talking about generators for an emergency, not a holiday vacation. You need something that can be put into operation immediately. If your car runs, the inverter will power your essential devices just by running an extension cord. Also, it's self propelled and you don't need to wheel it around.
1706902466687.png

I have a power inverter for my truck. Maintenance free, don't have to worry about fuel going bad. Run a power cord from the inverter to my house.
View attachment 8338812

5000W Power Inverter 4 AC Outlets 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with 2 USB Ports​

• [POTEK 5000WATT POWER INVERTER] provides 5000 watts continuous power, 10000 watts surge power to charge your multiple electronic devices.
  • [MULTI-PURPOSE CHARGING] :With 2A*2 usb port and 4 AC outlets,ideal for charging cell phones, laptops,water dispensers,air compressor,refrigerator,coffer maker,electric motor saw,etc
  • [MULTI-PROTECTION]: Provides protection against overload,overheat,low voltage,high voltage and short circuit.
  • [INTELLIGENT COOLING FAN]: Smart cooling fan makes it silent when temperature range of heatsink is below 104℉ and can also save battery’s electricity for longer utility time
  • • Power (4 AC Outlets): 5000W Rated, 10000W Peak

• USB output: DC 5V/2A

• Nominal input voltage:12.8-13.2VDC

• Nominal output voltage: 110-125VDV

• Output wave: modified sine wave

• Battery cables:Three black,three red,3.28′
During the last ice storm we had rolling blackouts and would lose power. Both of my 2500W Coleman Gas Generators were having problems. We actually used this cup holder inverter in the truck with an extension cord run to the house to provide power for our television, satellite, WiFi, and two laptops. It worked so well I got the 5000w inverter and wired hookups to both of our trucks. I keep the inverter inside.
View attachment 8338820
I played with that idea but a 5000 watt inverter can pull over 400 amps!! My truck at high rpm only puts out 160 amps?

I played with that idea but a 5000 watt inverter can pull over 400 amps!! My truck at high rpm only puts out 160 amps?
That's what this stuff is for:

That's what this stuff is for:
But where does the amperage come from to power the inverter?

But where does the amperage come from to power the inverter?
I really don't know too much how these work, other than they convert your car battery's DC current into AC current. The car's generator keeps the battery charged to provide the power to the inverter. A good truck battery has 800 cranking amps.

I really don't know too much how these work, other than they convert your car battery's DC current into AC current. The car's generator keeps the battery charged to provide the power to the inverter. A good truck battery has 800 cranking amps.
Just buy a PTO generator your tractor and call it good.

Generic 15kw and auto transfer switch

Runs the whole ranch

Hooked up to the 500 gallon propane tank I have for the shop

It doesn't seem to burn near the propane the manual says it will

There have been times we didn't even know the power went out until we noticed the generator running. It sits down below the house so you have to step outside to hear it running

Also have battery heat pad and oil dipstick heater

Don't want it to fail to start on the rare -30 occasions

It automatically exersizes itself once a week and keeps battery charged

Don't have to worry if we are not at home or go out in a blizzard to start a tractor and pto generator

Generic 15kw and auto transfer switch

Runs the whole ranch

Hooked up to the 500 gallon propane tank I have for the shop

It doesn't seem to burn near the propane the manual says it will

There have been times we didn't even know the power went out until we noticed the generator running. It sits down below the house so you have to step outside to hear it running

Also have battery heat pad and oil dipstick heater

Don't want it to fail to start on the rare -30 occasions

It automatically exersizes itself once a week and keeps battery charged

Don't have to worry if we are not at home or go out in a blizzard to start a tractor and pto generator
An outstanding system. That's the difference between an emergency backup between Nebraska and Texas. I can get away with an emergency system that cost $300. :)

Reactions: sandhiller
When you say "down below the house," is it far away, or is there something between the generator and the house? I have no idea how loud these things are. All of the advertising materials shows them installed right up against the house wall.