• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you understand Bitcoin? If yes, I have a question

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
I had a millennial explain Bitcoin to me about 3 years ago.... all of his spare change went into Bitcoin. $5 here and $25 there.... the kid was 24 and it was his only investing...

i watched a documentary on Bitcoin and several U tube videos... Morgan Spurlock living on Bitcoin for a week.

I know a japanese Bitcoin server disappeared and everyone who had money on that server and t to $0

so here is the question. If you had invested $10,000 dollars into bitcoin and it grew to 1,600,000, how can you cash out?

how would you sell 1,000- 3,000 bitcoins to realize the profit?

The less you know the better, and the amount of bullshit attached to cryptocurrencies would make PT Barnum bow in awe. Let me know how many bitcoins per gallon of gas it cost you to fuel up your vehicle.

Reactions: Animal357
I had a millennial explain Bitcoin to me about 3 years ago.... all of his spare change went into Bitcoin. $5 here and $25 there.... the kid was 24 and it was his only investing...

That guy made a good decision. I started late in the game, (earlier this year, actually) but did pretty much the same thing. Also a fair bit of trading, and the bot I made continues to make good decisions.

I know a japanese Bitcoin server disappeared and everyone who had money on that server and t to $0
There are landmines all over the place. A while back a popular exchange made off like bandits with their customer's coin, tons of stuff has been stolen from folks, it's a pretty dangerous environment. Best thing you can do is maintain a paper wallet, which is literally a piece of paper with your keys on it. That way, people would either have to guess your keys (pretty improbable), or physically steal them.

so here is the question. If you had invested $10,000 dollars into bitcoin and it grew to 1,600,000, how can you cash out?
You don't need to cash out. You can buy your lambos and mansions with bitcoin. Probably within 3 years or so, it'll be accepted in a lot of other places.

If you REALLY did want to take an asset that has a supply that can't go up passed 21 million, but can go down (as people lose their keys, or other epic fuckups), and exchange it for one that is quite the opposite, then you can do a few different things. Set up a bridge to your bank account via an exchange, use one of the various bitcoin->cash cards like swift and bitpay (I really like bitpay, though the card itself is kinda flimsy), or you could use something like localbitcoins to do a face to face transaction.

how would you sell 1,000- 3,000 bitcoins to realize the profit?
Over time. All at once would be incredibly dangerous. I'd also break that amount up into a number of private wallets, leave some on an exchange to trade with, maybe do some lending as well. I wouldn't ever cash a load like that out completely. No telling what that will be worth in 10 years or so.

Man, I have just now got to where I somewhat understand this. Back in 2011 or 2012 when it first came around I was told to buy some and just thought it was something stupid and would never take off. Boy was I wrong!!!! I wish I had bought $5000 worth back then. I’d be a heck of a lot wealthier today. Now that I started watching it again I am getting the itch to buy some. Why haven’t you you ask? Well, because when I started watching again this summer it was almost $2500 a coin. That seemed like a lot so I decided to wait and once it dropped down to like $1000 again I’d buy some. The problem is it never dropped that low again and as of last week hit almost $10,000 a coin. Now just think how much money I would have had if I just made a $10,000 investment back at the beginning of the summer. I don’t know where else you can make that kind of money legally. As far as how to keep it, the best way I have been told is to have a paper wallet as someone else mentioned. This way it can’t technically be stolen unless someone steals your physical wallet. Best to lock it up in a safe, but don’t lose your papers.

I bought it when it was 255...now its 12000. the jap server was hacked and someone stole all of their bitcoins but that was just one exchange. nobody knows who actually started it.
Coinbase is the most popular exchange.

So I know a bit about banking and how fast banks exit relationships based upon strange transactions.

Would a bank accept a large incoming wire transfer from an exchange or would the bank exit the relationship with you???

i know of relationships being cancelled for $50k wires from Cyprus.

thanks for the links I need to read more

So I know a bit about banking and how fast banks exit relationships based upon strange transactions.

Would a bank accept a large incoming wire transfer from an exchange or would the bank exit the relationship with you???

i know of relationships being cancelled for $50k wires from Cyprus.

thanks for the links I need to read more

Depends on the bank. Chase and BoA seem to hate crypto and will terminate accounts receiving deposits from crypto exchanges. The ones I know about ranged from 10-20k.

you go through an exchange. I bought 20 coins about 4-5 years ago when they were just over $100. I figured it would just be a quick bubble and I could make a quick profit but I never imagined it would get this big. I've really been paying attention to it the last 6 months but I'm starting to wonder how much longer it will go before the bubble bursts and I'm seriously debating cashing out now while I'm a head because I'm afraid if it collapses i'll miss out big time.

you go through an exchange. I bought 20 coins about 4-5 years ago when they were just over $100. I figured it would just be a quick bubble and I could make a quick profit but I never imagined it would get this big. I've really been paying attention to it the last 6 months but I'm starting to wonder how much longer it will go before the bubble bursts and I'm seriously debating cashing out now while I'm a head because I'm afraid if it collapses i'll miss out big time.

Don't really see that happening until some serious regulations fuck it all up. It's a hugely beneficial technology for shitholes around the world. I'd definitely hold for another couple of years at least, with a pretty good chance of it being worth another 4x from where it is today.

tulip mania ..... nuff said!

My thoughts exactly. Ultimately it's just a fiat currency but without the fiat so to speak. I can see a future for cryptocurrency but as a currency not as a speculative investment. Without an intrinsic value, the market is only what someone is willing to pay for it today. Millionaires have already been made with it though. Probably paupers too at some point.

My thoughts exactly. Ultimately it's just a fiat currency but without the fiat so to speak. I can see a future for cryptocurrency but as a currency not as a speculative investment. Without an intrinsic value, the market is only what someone is willing to pay for it today. Millionaires have already been made with it though. Probably paupers too at some point.

Nothing has intrinsic value...

At this point I have enough to pay off my mortgage if I cash out. Sure I could miss out on more gain but half of me says quit while you’re a head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who else is going to the moon with me on etherium? Hodl!

heard about that one too. just went live didn't it? how is it doing?

Went live August 2015 but didn’t start taking off until feb 2017.

Was $10 feb 1 and now it’s currently sitting at $456.

It was at $480 on the 3rd. Super volatile and fun to buy/sell.

Made a decent amount so far, I work with a bunch of coders and we have bets on who can make the most off it each week.

QnD, the suggestion that I can get beers in Austin or SF with my crypto is quite the testimonial.;)

How many gas stations have you used that accept Bitcoin as payment for fuel?

I'm going to venture it's exactly the same number as I have.

You'd have better luck bartering eggs than bitcoin in 99% of America, for real.

At this point I have enough to pay off my mortgage if I cash out. Sure I could miss out on more gain but half of me says quit while you’re a head.

dude....cash out one coin...then you are out NOTHING. pay for your initial investment. sit on the rest. that way, if shit crashes tomorrow, you aint out a damn thing. this could fall flat on it's face tomorrow, but i think it'll be good for quite a while yet. cover your original investment with one coin. then sit back and wait. forget about it for a year or two. then revisit it.

First rule of Cryptocurrencies: NEVER EVER GIVE YOUR PRIVATE KEY TO ANYONE ELSE.

There are a couple of different methods of cashing out.

A) You could use a reputable, US-based exchange to slowly sell off your crypto. For example, you could set up an account with Coinbase, go through all the necessary verification steps with them to make sure your account is fully ready to go, then transfer only what you want to sell that week. Sell the BTC through Coinbase, and send the USD to your bank account.

If you go this route, it's probably a good idea to talk to an actual banker (not the teller) at your bank AHEAD OF TIME. The last thing you want is to transfer a large sum of money into your account only to find that the bank has decided to block you from accessing any of it.

Also, be prepared to pay taxes on it. I'll leave all the arguing about legality and morality of taxes and all that to the anarcho-capitalists and the crypto-libertarians. All I'm saying is that you can bet on any US-based exchange supplying info to the IRS, and the IRS always gets their cut. So be prepared.

B) You could find someone to meet you, face-to-face, and get handed cash for your BTC.

This sounds simple, but it is anything but simple.

If you have a large amount of crypto, finding someone to take all of it off your hands will be very hard. In fact, I believe that doing all of it in one transaction might very well be illegal due to laws regarding large cash transactions. You also run the risk of having it all taken away from you due to civil asset forfeiture laws.

You could break it up into monthly or weekly sales of crypto for cash. This reduces the risk of losing it all in one shot. Of course, now you have to set up repeat meetings with one or more people to get your cash. And you always run the risk of meeting up with someone who is of the criminal bent.

And once you've got the cash, now you have a bunch of cash that you have to explain away if you try to deposit it at your bank. And the IRS is still going to want its cut.

Anyways, going to stop there because this is already turning into a wall of text.

dude....cash out one coin...then you are out NOTHING. pay for your initial investment. sit on the rest. that way, if shit crashes tomorrow, you aint out a damn thing. this could fall flat on it's face tomorrow, but i think it'll be good for quite a while yet. cover your original investment with one coin. then sit back and wait. forget about it for a year or two. then revisit it.

My initial investment was only$2K. It would have to drop through the floor to make me lose money at this point. I’m holding out for $25k per coin. If it hits that im dumping. That will give me enough to cover my taxes and then some. Needless to say I’ve been checking my Coinbase app every hour.

Is there any truth to the fact that Amazon will start excepting Bitcoin in Febuary 2018?

Is there any truth to the fact that Amazon will start excepting Bitcoin in Febuary 2018?

It's as true as all those gas stations near and far taking bitcoin as payment for fuel, or as simple as finding your closest Bitcoin ATM.

Good luck cashing out your Bitcoin "millions", I'll stick with wampum and tulips.

I hope you guys do well with it. I am just too old school for anything remotely resembling bitcoin. Never even heard of it until I opened the thread.

Probably not at this point, fees are high and price is volatile AF. Futures trading on BTC starts Sunday which should make it even worse INITIALLY, but with all the capital being dumped into the platform it should start to even out and be something a huge retailer might be interested in. Total market cap for BTC in June was around $50 million. It's probably gonna break $300 billion today. I would guess that when that hits $1 trillion, crazy fluctuations will be harder to achieve.

And on the side note.. if you had any bitcoin in NiceHash... too bad as of today.

The transaction fees / latency if you don't pay high fees will keep most people from actually using it in normal commerce for the most part till something is fixed with that.

NiceHash is located 5min drive from me ran by a father of a convicted hacker and now just happens that virtual 0/1 get stolen by unknown entities due to lax security measures...
Its really funny how people remain stupid since dawn of time and at the same time we get sold on this evolution thing... BULLSHIT.

You own bitcoin? Sell it and convert to either goods or fiat of your choice while you still can. You have profit? Fuck good for you do it as fast as possible and consider yourself lucky fuck who caught a deal of century and go get wasted on booze and hookers....

Spoke to a B of A personal banker today. They said that new rules came out prohibited cash acceptance.

It use to be that you could walk into a bank and deposit cash into a different customers account.

For example, a tenant could deposit rent in cash into the landlords account.

As of a week or two ago B of A will not longer accept cash from any 3rd party for deposit into a customers account.

Not sure who is squeezing the banks but the war on cash and equivalents is going strong

If you have a large amount of crypto, finding someone to take all of it off your hands will be very hard. In fact, I believe that doing all of it in one transaction might very well be illegal due to laws regarding large cash transactions. You also run the risk of having it all taken away from you due to civil asset forfeiture laws.

You could break it up into monthly or weekly sales of crypto for cash. This reduces the risk of losing it all in one shot. Of course, now you have to set up repeat meetings with one or more people to get your cash. And you always run the risk of meeting up with someone who is of the criminal bent..

What you just described is called 'structuring' - it's extremely illegal and a surefire way to get your assets frozen and/or seized.

Bitcoin is a bubble that's going to burst very soon. First, its way too volatile; any company still accepts Bitcoin as a form of payment doesn't understand basic economic concepts. BC transactions can take as many as 30 minutes to process, meanwhile the price of the BC can fluctuate hundreds of dollars between when a transaction is initiated and when it completes. Transactions costs are through the roof. And most importantly, BC has nothing to protect it's value. For instance, the US dollar's value is protected because every US citizen (or half of us, anyway) has to pay their taxes in US dollars. Good for the people that were able to predict this bubble, but I wouldn't touch this stuff anymore.

What you just described is called 'structuring' - it's extremely illegal and a surefire way to get your assets frozen and/or seized.

Bitcoin is a bubble that's going to burst very soon. First, its way too volatile; any company still accepts Bitcoin as a form of payment doesn't understand basic economic concepts. BC transactions can take as many as 30 minutes to process, meanwhile the price of the BC can fluctuate hundreds of dollars between when a transaction is initiated and when it completes. Transactions costs are through the roof. And most importantly, BC has nothing to protect it's value. For instance, the US dollar's value is protected because every US citizen (or half of us, anyway) has to pay their taxes in US dollars. Good for the people that were able to predict this bubble, but I wouldn't touch this stuff anymore.

I know some folks have been popped in recent years for 'structuring' in cases where that wasn't the intent, like the contractor/home builder that got popped for depositing more than 10k in individual checks each less than 10k. No intent but they tried to fuck him anyway. Not sure how that played out.

Crypto is obviously ripe for that kinda shenanigans, but I don't think there would be a problem if you were depositing, say, 15k at a time. Bank would report you as per aml shit, but that's not a crime.

Structuring is intentionally trying to avoid having a bank report you, eg, depositing 9999 at a time over a long period of time.

For everyone saying that it will be extremely hard to cash in all your Bitcoin is total bullshit. Most of the people that are heavily invested in it have a brokerage type account. For example I use Coinbase. I could sell all of mine right now and then transfer that money to my BofA account with no issues. Of course the IRS will be notified just like they are with any transaction over $10k but unless you’re trying to do something shady (like not pay your taxes) then it’s really very easy.

It's as true as all those gas stations near and far taking bitcoin as payment for fuel, or as simple as finding your closest Bitcoin ATM.

Good luck cashing out your Bitcoin "millions", I'll stick with wampum and tulips.

There are multiple card service options (visa/MasterCard/discover/amex) that allow you to link btc wallets and spend in your native currency. They function just like the debit cards we all use, in all the places we use them.

BTC ATMs are popping up in more and more places.....but honestly you sound like you have an axe to grind. Bitter that you missed the boat, or something else?

It's not too late, it's still largely unknown and even less understood. Btc value is in the tech. Block chain will change everything from the way we use vending machines to how we solve complex algorithmic equations to how we rent cars.

You should do some due diligence instead of asking other people to answer ignorant questions that you could answer with 30 seconds on Google.

Life is beyond gorgeous at this point....i put every last cent I had in @ 1750......this is so gentlemen.

If you guys dont know about ripple/xrp there's the next huge return.

You're talking out your ass Alamo, but I'm loving the display and can only hope you don't stop.

It's clear you've no real understanding of what constitutes the meaning of currency.

A MEDIUM for exchange of your crypto tulip coins is required to cash out, thanks for inadvertently making that point.

Too bad 15 seconds on Google couldn't teach you that.

Learn the difference between a store of value and a speculative instrument and then report back.

I love it when children with no experience reading a balance sheet offer me financial advice, thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:
You're talking out your ass Alamo, but I'm loving the display and can only hope you don't stop.

A MEDIUM for exchange of your crypto tulip coins is required to cash out, thanks for inadvertently making that point.

www.coinbase.com. Takes me 15 seconds to move from btc to usd, in any amount..... and then it's a wire transfer to my bank acct. Which takes the standard 24-72 hrs. I've had no problem moving large sums.

At this point though there are multiple exchanges to choose from, I just prefer coinbase because it's easy. I also use kraken, a European exchange and have had no problem moving large amounts from them either, the wires take longer though.

I report earnings and urge everyone to do so, with the absolute stupid amounts of money being made it's not worth it to try and be slick.

Learn the difference between a store of value and a speculative instrument and then report back.

I love it when children with no experience reading a balance sheet offer me financial advice, thanks for the laugh.

I fail to see what reading balance sheets has to do anything, but if that's your forte, kudos. Bitcoin has nothing to do with that.....which kind of leads us to the next point. If you think it does it stands to reason you don't get it.

The only people who think it's purely[\i] a speculative instrument have slim to no understanding of blockchain tech. It is a speculative instrument, you are correct, but only in the sense that all currencies are (forex anyone?), But the tech, and its myriad of applications is the real gem (in your words "store of value.")

....and you sound really mad. It's not too late bro. In 3 years everyone will know someone personally who has made money in crypto. This will range from a little extra in the retirement to lambos.

I personally know 2 crypto millionaires already......and when the American market crashes here in about a year, people will rush to find markets that are growing, and crypto will grow in a way that has made this last year look like a speed bump. When that happens, the guys who positioned early will be looking at life changing returns.

I personally know 2 crypto millionaires already......and when the American market crashes here in about a year, people will rush to find markets that are growing, and crypto will grow in a way that has made this last year look like a speed bump. When that happens, the guys who positioned early will be looking at life changing returns.

Yeah, just look at all the shitholes around the world with their currencies dying meanwhile the smart ones are in on crypto.

i think guy is just trolling. Hell, he's probably a blockchain dev. No one is really that dense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...sis-is-a-case-study-for-bitcoin/#229b1d4a19b2

Last edited:
Yeah, just look at all the shitholes around the world with their currencies dying meanwhile the smart ones are in on crypto.

i think guy is just trolling. Hell, he's probably a blockchain dev. No one is really that dense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi.../#229b1d4a19b2

I agree, and it had occurred to me that he could be using the Delphi method to help illustrate strength.

​I do my best to try and educate people about the fantastic opportunity it Bitcoin and crypto presents.....so if he keeps lobbing'em slow and easy down the pipe, trolling or otherwise, I'll keep swinging for the benefit of any one reading.

To now, every point he's brought up has been proven absolutely void.

- You can buy anything with btc via the debit cards. (Including your beloved guzzoline guy!)

- There are Bitcoin ATMs popping up all over Europe, Canada and the states

- you can easily and instantly move huge sums of btc to cash on multiple exchanges

- the inherent value is moreso derived from the technology, not the currency and it's use (although those are obvious factors as well.)

+++Edit+++ I've been looking for a ranch truck and at some point in the last three days Craigslist started allowing you to refine your searches by "crypto currency accepted."

I can't wait till the winklevoss twins bring this whole Bonanza back before the SEC....it's only a matter of time....all the big hedge funds are getting on board.....then it's safeties off!

Oh, forgot to add: everyday there are more sellers accepting Bitcoin and ethereum on GunBroker. Its been slowly increasing for a while, but really started picking up this last month.

Last edited:
For those of you holding onto Bitcoin, I really wish you the best. If you're planning on riding it to the moon at this point, I seriously question your understanding of economics. You can throw around words like "blockchain" (to clarify, Bitcoin LEVERAGES blockchain technology, Bitcoin is not blockchain technology....my friends and I have joked about starting a company that sells an old idea with "blockchain" attached to it to see how many millions in VC funds we could capture), but hundreds of years of economic laws and theory don't suddenly go out the window.

Bitcoin, as a store of value, is effectively worthless because it's volatility. The value of 1 BC at 9am Monday is drastically different than 1 BC at 4pm Monday. I know people that have made some serious money off of Bitcoin, but I ONLY say they made money because they sold them for USD. The Bitcoin millionaires you know - are you calling them millionaires because they have 100+ BC today, or because they traded 100+ BC for US dollars? I'm guessing it's the latter. Any inherent value BC used to have is gone.

Bitcoin is a bubble. The initial surge in price was caused by companies buying BC to pay off hackers who infected their enterprise systems with ransomware, but it's now clearly a pump-and-dump. I'm not saying that there isn't any more money to be squeaked out by holding out a little longer, but I'm telling you the music is going to stop playing in the near future, and I highly recommend that you don't be the windowlicker left holding the now-worthless chips. Bubbles are extremely hard to predict, but they are fucking simple to identify; most people are idiots and choose the ignore the signs though (see: 2008).

For those of you holding onto Bitcoin, I really wish you the best. If you're planning on riding it to the moon at this point, I seriously question your understanding of economics. You can throw around words like "blockchain" (to clarify, Bitcoin LEVERAGES blockchain technology, Bitcoin is not blockchain technology....my friends and I have joked about starting a company that sells an old idea with "blockchain" attached to it to see how many millions in VC funds we could capture), but hundreds of years of economic laws and theory don't suddenly go out the window.

Bitcoin, as a store of value, is effectively worthless because it's volatility. The value of 1 BC at 9am Monday is drastically different than 1 BC at 4pm Monday. I know people that have made some serious money off of Bitcoin, but I ONLY say they made money because they sold them for USD. The Bitcoin millionaires you know - are you calling them millionaires because they have 100+ BC today, or because they traded 100+ BC for US dollars? I'm guessing it's the latter. Any inherent value BC used to have is gone.

Bitcoin is a bubble. The initial surge in price was caused by companies buying BC to pay off hackers who infected their enterprise systems with ransomware, but it's now clearly a pump-and-dump. I'm not saying that there isn't any more money to be squeaked out by holding out a little longer, but I'm telling you the music is going to stop playing in the near future, and I highly recommend that you don't be the windowlicker left holding the now-worthless chips. Bubbles are extremely hard to predict, but they are fucking simple to identify; most people are idiots and choose the ignore the signs though (see: 2008).

Bitcoin may be a bubble but it's a bubble that hasn't popped yet. Sure there are a lot of economic professionals out there that claim that bitcoin is going to pop.....and it very well may, but crypto is so new that nobody really knows when, and if there is money to be made then why not make it now? as I said in in earlier post, I bought 20 coins when they were under $100 per coin and I know many people who bought way more than that. turns out to be a really good investment. I sold 5 coins on Thursday for just over $17600 and bought them back early Saturday for $13500ish a coin. made just over $20,000 in less that 36 hours. Those who are not doing it should not be knocking those that are. ;)

Don’t play with fire bubbles are traded differently. Assuming you enterrd early you sell half for each 100% gain by doing that you max the gain vs min the risk/exposure.

you said you have 20. sell 10 now 5 when it hits 20k and keep the rest so when it hits 10 without a k behind you will have 5$ to remind you of how fucking lucky you were to have read snipershide and have made great profits off 16 buttcoins....

Bitcoin may be a bubble but it's a bubble that hasn't popped yet. Sure there are a lot of economic professionals out there that claim that bitcoin is going to pop.....and it very well may, but crypto is so new that nobody really knows when, and if there is money to be made then why not make it now? as I said in in earlier post, I bought 20 coins when they were under $100 per coin and I know many people who bought way more than that. turns out to be a really good investment. I sold 5 coins on Thursday for just over $17600 and bought them back early Saturday for $13500ish a coin. made just over $20,000 in less that 36 hours. Those who are not doing it should not be knocking those that are. ;)

Just like nobody is able to predict a bubble, nobody can predict when the ride ends. If I could, I'd be on my yacht somewhere. But fortunately, identifying a bubble is really easy. Like I said, the laws don't change just because crypto is new.

I do wish you the best. I'm just trying to educate people who think that there's going to be a happy ending when the bubble pops.

Something to think about - without equating it to USD, what is one Bitcoin really worth/what can you buy with one BC?