• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

doberman dogs

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
out side of protection what else are these dogs bread for ?

my dad used to have one as a family dog but i barly remember what it was like with her around. could i train this dog to destroy coons ? i know their are breads out their like walkers that are bread and trained for that, i was just currious thats all

Re: doberman dogs

My Doberman, Maxine, is our first one and she is here for a multitude of good reasons.

1) The young woman who gave her up to us couldn't provide the time, training and discipline any dog should have. So we adopted her.

2) Our currrent Shepherd, Elke, has been our only dog since our older Shep, Dax, died in February of '08' and we all miss her dearly. So we wanted a companion and protege for Elke, and they are now best friends.

3) Dogs of any breed, when trained, can be multi-taskers. Ours are household residents who are here for companionship, play, security (audible early warning system
laugh.gif
) and deterrent value, and the necessity of walking the yard every day with a bag lined bucket and shovel...

I don't know of Dobermans as hunting dogs but a smart dog can be trained to work outside of its breeding. I personally would prefer my dogs alert me to problems and leave any destruction that needs doing to me.

You can teach a Dobe to do just about anything, they are very smart dogs...

My female destroys moles, and goes nuts chasing chipmunks and squirrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can teach a Dobe to do just about anything, they are very smart dogs...

My female destroys moles, and goes nuts chasing chipmunks and squirrels. </div></div>

+1 Ours is just a family pet she doesn't really care about chasing chipmunks but does bark at the mutt when he does. She's more interested in chewing up loose sticks and branches that fall in the yard. (normally) They're really smart and have a tremendous drive to please their owners. A long time ago my uncle had a dobie that would water ski and ride a motorcycle with him. They'd get in the water and the boat would pull him up. The dog would stand on the skis in front of my uncle. His only transportation at the time was a motorcycle. The doberman would sit in front of him with his front paws on the tank.

Dobe's and their smaller German Pincher family are highly intelligent breeds, often times much smarter than their owners. They respond extremely well to dedicated training like any other smart breed. Go buy the breed specific books at Petco/Petsmart, check the breed standards out on AKC and breed specific sites.
The Doberman breeds as the GS, and 'Buly' breeds all desire to please the owner, but will show very strong will as well.
Inherant in all of these fine breeds is the gameness and love of chasing rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and any other small game that comes across their path or onto their property. You can train them to NOT do this, but it is difficult. Small game like coons or skunks will get their attention really quick if they are outside at night and you let them know it's ok to go after them. Just take care with the skunks, and other kitty cats with big white stripes
grin.gif

Gunner, Bulleit's pal from NC tried to run down a skunk when they both went out for a final night's piss before bed. That boxer stunk to high heaven, and Dina his mistress was lucky we had a large bottle of vinegar and several cans of tomato sauce/paste on hand. As I said, in these mentioned breeds, gameness is strong. Also, do not forget good ol' Iron Jaw, the Rottweiler. While slower than the others, his dedication and gameness is high as is his intelligence and will.

One of my colleagues in training bred hers purely for show - traveled around the country with them (very expensive hobby too). Said they were the gentlest, sweetest, and smartest animals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">out side of protection what else are these dogs bread for ?

my dad used to have one as a family dog but i barly remember what it was like with her around. could i train this dog to destroy coons ? i know their are breads out their like walkers that are bread and trained for that, i was just currious thats all </div></div>

Get a Black & Tan, cut the ears and dock the tail. LOL (Now that's a smart dog, my male could open the latch on his kennel then go and free his comrades. Had to put padlocks on the kennels to keep the dogs in!)

As has been said, Dobes are scary smart. Just be ready for a high energy dog, especially as a pup. My mothers new one is over 65 pounds at 7 months old, with the energy of a Jack Russell on meth. She is taking some patience but this is mom's third and they make the some of the best family pet's.

thanks for the heads up guys...... i hope i come accrost one in the paper soon iam dieing to get one

Check your area for reputable breeders also. Similar to buying a car, gun, or anything for that matter... research is paramount.

ditto on what ^ he said.
Paper does not mean reputable nor a solid pup. Look for a pure breed rescue that deals exclusively with your requested breed, or check 'pup' sources online. Be ready to spend some hard currency on a well bred pup. Males will piss on everything they see and be the more agressive. Females will be mellower and more family oriented

I had one for 14 years. Roxy was a wonderful dog. My wife and I still miss her.

i must have had a dud... by far the dumbest animal i have ever had. he wasn't a cheap dog either. Giving him away to pick up my great dane was the best idea i ever had, lol

As far as hunters...they are mostly "sight" hunters v/s "scent" hunters. I had old "Stormy" when I was 9 or 10 years old. Loved that girl and she loved me. Nobody bothered the house or me.

we have a 7 year old dobe his name is Barrett. He is amazing, very loyal, doesnt act aggresive to anything except the squirells. We have a chihuahua and they get along great.

and yes the dog is named after the Rifle