• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does a muzzle brake still reduce recoil when a suppressor is attached?

pell1203

Stay Focused!
Minuteman
  • Dec 27, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    If a muzzle brake is mounted on a rifle as part of a mounting system for a suppressor and measurably reduces recoil by xx% over the bare muzzle, what effect on overall recoil does shooting with the suppressor attached over the brake have?

In other words, does fully enclosing the brake inside the suppressor cavity nullify all or part of its recoil reducing effect?

Is there more or less recoil reduction with the suppressor attached?

If a muzzle brake is mounted on a rifle as part of a mounting system for a suppressor and measurably reduces recoil by xx% over the bare muzzle, what effect on overall recoil does shooting with the suppressor attached over the brake have?

In other words, does fully enclosing the brake inside the suppressor cavity nullify all or part of its recoil reducing effect?

They both feel about the same to me. Suppressor vs muzzle brake. The brake may work a little better if measured. My ear measurements prefer suppressed, but sometimes they give you other troubles, like washing out the image from the mirage coming off them. Covers help to minimize this.

No, it does however serve as another "baffle" in the suppressor. A suppressor is blowing gas back into the action of the weapon and you do notice it.

They both feel about the same to me. Suppressor vs muzzle brake. The brake may work a little better if measured. My ear measurements prefer suppressed, but sometimes they give you other troubles, like washing out the image from the mirage coming off them. Covers help to minimize this.

The best suppressor will never match the effectiveness of a good brake in the grand scheme of managing recoil.

Reactions: Need_More_Mags
    So the suppressor would nullify all the effect of the brake, but the suppressor reduces recoil on its own. My suppressor didn't feel any different on the QD brake on my 300wm than it does on the QD flash hider it has now.

So, in summary, general agreement appears to be that mounting the suppressor over a brake yields a quieter rifle with slightly increased recoil when compared to only shooting with the brake.

So, in summary, general agreement appears to be that mounting the suppressor over a brake yields a quieter rifle with slightly increased recoil when compared to only shooting with the brake.

Not all that simple, brakes made for can attachment usually not top tier on their own, they're kind of a dual purpose application with emphasis on running in conjunction with a can. Now answering the question if it does double duty inside the suppressor, over my head. Ask in the suppressor thread.

Just re-asked similar question in the Suppressor Forum as suggested but I think the answers provided here have pretty much clarified and resolved most of my confusion. Thanks!

Brake attached suppressor VS direct thread suppressor recoil should be same. The brake system will take all wear and the blunt force of gas etc, instead of your can. I would rather have a brake wear out over my suppressor baffle any day.

Last edited:
    No, it does however serve as another "baffle" in the suppressor. A suppressor is blowing gas back into the action of the weapon and you do notice it.

+1

Having run brake & flash hider under a can (2 different cans on two different rifles)... same recoil once can is on.

Brake becomes a sacrificial baffle... but on a long barrelled bolt gun... not really much of a difference compared to usage on an SBR.

I don't own a single brake anymore.

Not on a carbine.

KAC SR15 with just a MAMS on it has literally no recoil.

Same rifle with the KAC suppressor ontop of the MAMS has noticeably more recoil.

It depends on the design of the brake, the integral brake/suppressor or the suppressor. I've shot brakes that minimized all adverse affects of a .300 WM down to a .22 Hornet level. I've shot suppressed rifles that did the same. The tricky part obviously is to make an integral system that works with suppressor on or off. I've shot some that work and most the recoil is more noticeable than just a brake. It doesn't mean it isn't at tolerable, just more.

So, in answer to your question, the brake is still functioning when the rifle is fired. Most of the effect is when the gasses hit the brake. However, the effects often are mitigated with the close surrounding case of the suppressor. How well attuned the baffling in the suppressor is is what will continue to hold down the effects of recoil.