• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Does anyone have a 7 WSM reamer?

flyfisherman246

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2017
I have looked everywhere to try to find a saami spec 7 WSM reamer. I am looking to shoot a 180 berger hybrid at 2.950" oal. From on rental place we got what was supposed to be a .000 freebore reamer but it ended up being 3.050" oal touching with a 180 hybrid. And been trying to contact 4D rentals for a while now to see what their freebore is on their reamer and they won't answer phone calls, respond to voicemails, or answer emails. I am having John Beanland chamber my barrel and looking to see if anyone on the hide would rent their reamer to him for a couple days? Thanks

I have one. It's not saami spec. I think it's a .317" "no turn" neck and a .050" freebore. Stubby 180 SMKs are still longer than your 2.950" I'm not sure even a 0.000" freebore will get you the OAL you want with a 180 Hyb. If you are heavily invested in brass you might double check the max brass length and try to shorten the neck to accommodate the brass instead of the other way around. Not saying it's ideal; it just might get you an extra .020 or so. You might look into the 7 SAUM for keeping longer OALs and the bullet shank out of the neck-shoulder junction too.

That said, you'll be chasing the lands after a few rounds down the bore anyway. I had a 7WSM match rifle, it shot real well with a brake, everyone hated me and that brake too. I rebarreled it with a 7mm WSSM wildcat to never have to worry about OALs, mag limitations and having to chase lands.

Thanks for the reply. I had a .055 freebore used and it gave me about 3.010 oal, so I'm guessing a .000 would get me around 2.950. The reason I'm looking for that length is not for the brass but for the wyatts extended center feed mag box. If I were to start this over, I would have went 7 saum or 7/300 WSM. I have a bunch of dies and brass already for the 7 wsm and not really looking forward to getting all new stuff. Thanks for the help.

In that case I'd suggest single-feeding or jumping the Hybrids (or sell them I've read they're not easy to come by right now and are nearly 50¢ each). Otherwise I know that with a .055" freebore you can fit the 180 SMK in the Wyatts/AI mag sans front plate. That's what I was doing and they grouped just fine. 9-Twist Brux .050" freebore:

7mm200yd_Grp.jpg

The SMKs might not have the greatest BC but they're better than most 6.5s and cost about 2/3rds the price of the Hybrids. If you're heavily invested, then a custom chamber reamer might be the most cost-effective solution, if you're determined to shoot the Hybrid.

You might look into the 180 ELD-M too. i think they have a shorter distance to the lands than the Hybrids and have similar Average G7 BC. However I have heard reports that they are fragile and occasionally explode mid-trajectory in 9 twists even at sub-3000fps velocities.

Last edited:
I'm not looking to ring out the last fps out of this. I'm just trying to get closer to the lands at mag length than I'm at now. It is for a hunting rifle, so single shot isn't what I'm looking for. I really like bergers for hunting and am trying to stick with them. Thanks for the advice.

I had a reamer made for my 7mm-300WSM, but I decided it wasn’t worth fighting to fit a longer ojive. I wanted a BDL internal mag (for smooth bottom) hunting rifle.
I decided on the Berger 168g classic hunter. Fits in all standard short action stuff easily, recoils less than the 175/180’s, kills deer and elk effectively, and the ballistics carry 1k lb/ft out to 1k yards.

Attachments

• A959D847-2577-4C4A-9BEB-6B4F58634EFE.jpeg
    A959D847-2577-4C4A-9BEB-6B4F58634EFE.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 40
I have looked everywhere to try to find a saami spec 7 WSM reamer. I am looking to shoot a 180 berger hybrid at 2.950" oal. From on rental place we got what was supposed to be a .000 freebore reamer but it ended up being 3.050" oal touching with a 180 hybrid. And been trying to contact 4D rentals for a while now to see what their freebore is on their reamer and they won't answer phone calls, respond to voicemails, or answer emails. I am having John Beanland chamber my barrel and looking to see if anyone on the hide would rent their reamer to him for a couple days? Thanks
I'm out of town right now so I can't verify, but I'm 99% positive my 7WSM reamer is zero FB, made for the original 180 VLD Bergers, Win brass and SA AICS mag. i'll see if I can dig up the specs on it . I haven't used it in quite some time.

My 7WSM reamer is .322 neck and zero freebore. I won't do this with most of my reamers but I am willing to let you/John borrow this one if you cover shipping. If this sounds like the reamer you need, PM me with contact info.

I'm not looking to ring out the last fps out of this. I'm just trying to get closer to the lands at mag length than I'm at now. It is for a hunting rifle, so single shot isn't what I'm looking for. I really like bergers for hunting and am trying to stick with them. Thanks for the advice.
Why not use a Bainey box ? I think 3.1 is max coal