• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone use a beam scale?

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
I searched for a little while but can't find any simple threads on the subject.

Does anyone still use a beam scale? I've never used/owned one. In my mind it seems like it would be accurate being that it's mechanical.

I use a gem pro 250 now and I kinda don't trust it. I really don't want to spend $1000 on that electronic scale that everyone uses. I don't mind weighing charges by hand.

So what's everyone's experience with beam scales?

Before I got my A&D, I used a cheap Amazon scale followed by an RCBS beam scale to confirm charge. Very accurate and consistent once you set up zero. Highest ES is 14fps.

Reactions: louu
I hand trickle onto an RCBS balance (the one that comes in the starter kit) after a slight underthrow on a Chargemaster. It is perfectly accurate to 1/10th Gr. I will forever be fascinated by scales that will let me get to the 100ths... Every time the subject comes up I want one. I can't help myself.

Yet, there is zero purpose for me. My load development starts with velocity nodes. On some rifles, like my 6X47 the node I shoot is HUGE! It's over a full grain at the edges, and a tenth either way right in the middle is going to make NO difference at all. It's just not. A more accurate scale is going to get me nothing in terms of repeatable groups at any range based on speed and precision.

Now, that's the most extreme example I can come up with on the most forgiving cartridge I've ever shot, but I am just skeptical that cutting a grain of stick powder is going to get me anything on almost any cartridge. I am always looking for something that is going to get me more precision from bench to the firing line, but I concluded years ago that it's not going to be a more accurate scale. You can certainly buy speed of the throw without sacrificing accuracy, but I just don't seem to need it.

Perhaps if I shot BR I'd do it differently, but I don't.

I use mine to hold paperwork from blowing around or a book end in occasion

Reactions: stalwart300
To get to the precision you can get for a cheap digital scale that uses a pressure pad vs. a balance, you'd have to spend decent money and have A LOT of patience waiting for the beam scale to balance. If you insist though, make sure you get a dial type for the last bit of precision.

Digital scales have come leaps and bounds better and cheaper in the last 20 years. I have a lot of experience with scales and most of the cheap ones are as accurate, for our needs, as the high end stuff. You can see it here. Most guys have to make a large jump in budget to get to the pinnacle of weight measurement. One of the biggest improvements you can make is an enclosed enclosure while measuring and and extremely stable table or desk to weigh on. Preferably on concrete with little vibration being introduced from outside sources. Most scales are extremely accurate. What you're paying for is time. The ability to accurately weigh AND do it quickly for production purposes.

Does anyone still use a beam scale? I've never used/owned one. In my mind it seems like it would be accurate being that it's mechanical.

I use a gem pro 250 now and I kinda don't trust it. I really don't want to spend $1000 on that electronic scale that everyone uses. I don't mind weighing charges by hand.

From what I have heard by more experienced reloaders/precision shooters, once you find your accuracy node you don't have to be extremely precise if it's a little over or under charged?
That was told to me after talking with a champion shooter.
I was explaining my meticulous routine of using a beam scale more often than not to verify charge accuracy.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Before I got my FX-120i, I had a Scott Parker tuner 10-10. I paired it with a webcam, so I could watch the needle on a screen, magnified without paralax, and it served me well. It's not as fast, but I think it's probably just as accurate.

Reactions: louu and Mxridr
I still use an old RCBS 5-10 scale, I have checked it against a friends expensive electronic scale ( had him weigh a few random things) it is dead on. Now that said it can be slow.

I do! Might be a little slower, but I also don't want to spend a bunch of money on a good digital scale. And really, it's a matter of seconds slower. I use an RCBS powder throw or Lee scoops to get close, then trickle the last little bit. I don't notice much, if any, waiting for the beam scale to balance as long as I go a little slower. I use this technique for hunting and precision loads, for mass production rounds I just use the powder throw and check on the scale every so often.

Ohaus 1010 been using this bad boy for 15 yrs never had any issues

Attachments

• 20201008_173041.jpg
    20201008_173041.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20201008_173100.jpg
    20201008_173100.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: louu and cm1021
Dillon Beam with a Dandy Trickler with eye beam shutoff for big rifle and stick powder.

Small rifle or pistol with sweet flowing powders.....I just let the drop do it's thing.

Yes, I use a beam scale. A Hornady- Pacific. It has worked very well for me. It is the only "original" piece of equipment I have never upgraded on my loading bench. I bought a complete hornady kit in 1990.

I guess I'm old school.I've been using a RCBS beam for 15 years. I throw short then trickle up to the weight. Works every time for me. I have a Lyman 1000 sitting on a shelf somewhere, used it a few times, and just didn't trust it. I calibrate the beam once and it's good until I move it.
If I were a precision shooter, I may consider a high end scale, but I just don't need one.

Reactions: louu and 308pirate
As was mentioned before, I use an old U.S. made Ohaus 505 that reacts to a single kernel of powder on charges below 60 grains.

I have 2 Scientech ZSP510 analytical balances and have checked my beam scale multiple times on both. Over a 30 charge test, at 45 grains, my beam has an ES of .09 grains and an SD of .03 grains.

I throw about 0.5 grains low from an RCBS powder measure, and trickle up. It takes good technique, but that is true even of an electronic scale.

Good vintage beams can be had for under $60 on fleabay. That may not be the thing that you want, but it is an option.

Yep, I am a beam scale and hand trickle guy. Currently I’m using a Redding #2 and can easily load single digit SD‘s across 10+ round samples. That is good enough for my needs.

What would you guys consider the best beam scale out there? My Redding is getting some age on it and the knife edge of the pivots are starting to show wear and slightly sticking. It’s time to upgrade for me, but I have been dragging my feet...

Still use a beam.scale here for precision rifle loads. I use Lee dippers to get close then trickle up. Im still trying to find a 10-10 scale thats in good shape. I have a 505 that I got with my first reloading kit. One day I MIGHT move up to the fx-120i but for the price, I think my.money is better spent on components or another rifle but ymmv.

Been using a beam scale since 1972. Current scale is a Dillion that my wife and son purchased for me in 2001. With a good set of check weights it is as accurate as any scale I have seen or used (I use our son’s electronic scale when I am in Florida, which is Now).

As far as waiting for it to quit swinging, modern, magnetically stabilized beam scales are as fast as waiting for an electronic scale to load the last few grains. I set my powder throw to throw as an exact amount as possible. Trickle when I have too. Throw back all over charges, too much time wasted trying to drop some of the powder and trickle it back up to specs

Now for the joke of the day. “Modern, Magnetically Stabilized.” I suppose for someone turning 72 this month, 2001 is “Modern.”:)

Most important point, have it eye level, separate from the loading table and keep it clean.

Yep, I am a beam scale and hand trickle guy. Currently I’m using a Redding #2 and can easily load single digit SD‘s across 10+ round samples. That is good enough for my needs.

What would you guys consider the best beam scale out there? My Redding is getting some age on it and the knife edge of the pivots are starting to show wear and slightly sticking. It’s time to upgrade for me, but I have been dragging my feet...
Get on to ebay and find another vintage Redding or and old Ohaus 505 or 10-10. The old LYman D5's & D7's were pretty good as well.

I have a Scott Parker tuned 10-10 with a web cam and a cheap amazon digital scale. Once the digital scale is warmed up it's just as accurate and faster. I did a comparison using both and my sd were lower with the digital scale. I'm not a bench rest shooter but was able to get a sd in the 3s with the d scale so that's good enough for me. I will use the beam scale to verify if I am doubting the digital, so it's nice to have both.
I don't think a tuned scale is worth the money and would be just as happy with the kit scale.

I think a lot to being repeatable with a beam scale is like any precision measuring (such as with calipers, or a micrometer) in that you have to “learn“ your measuring device and how to use it.

I just re-did load development for a rifle that I chopped the barrel. Using the same RCBS 5-0-5 that I bought used 19 years ago and a cheap hand trickler I found a forgiving node that gave me ES=8 and SD=3.5. Since I load ball powder, I weigh and trickle the first five charges to fine tune the drop then straight drop the other 95.

I too have a Gempro I don’t totally trust the zero not to wander on. I started checking it more and more often on my RCBS beam scale and it noticeably varies. That said it still gives me SDs and ESs that are good enough for now. Some day I’ll upgrade. Too much other stuff to buy first.

A 30 something year old Ohaus made Dillon that I use as a sanity check when needed.

I use an old RCBS 5-0-5 made by Ohaus. I've tried the cheap digital scales and found that they aren't as accurate.

I used to use a RCBS M500 an. It worked well and you knew each charge was +/- a kernal, but it was slow. Like 100 rounds in 4 hours. Maybe I was just slow.

Yes, I still use my RCBS 505 beam scale from nearly 20 years , now....... I just throw from the same aged Uniflo, & trickle up..... But, I have a brand new Chargemaster 1500 just waiting to be put to good use!!!!!! But, I need to expand/ remodel my loading bench first...... That being said, maybe I'm just slow, but, I have no problem using the beam scale, & trickling-up, because I never seem to be in a big hurry when I'm loading ammo..... And, I'm sure I'll probably double-check the Chargemaster with the beam, just for my own 'peace-of-mind'...........

Thank you to everyone who replied I really appreciate it.

From what I have heard by more experienced reloaders/precision shooters, once you find your accuracy node you don't have to be extremely precise if it's a little over or under charged?
That was told to me after talking with a champion shooter.
I was explaining my meticulous routine of using a beam scale more often than not to verify charge accuracy.

I'm starting to learn about the node as well when I get time I'm going to start load development all over again using that method.

Beam scale, electronic scale, kitchen sink scale. In my mind, none of then are worth anything without a set of check weights. Cheap? No, Original body parts; priceless.

I use an RCBS/Ohaus 10-10 I scored at the local flea market for cheap. It requires more finesse compared to a digital to get it to work well, but if my technique is consistent the charges are as well. It's defnitely a slower process, and I can't tell you how many times I've bumped into the thing and then had to grab the check weights to confirm that my zero/calibration was still on. But it will react to a single kernel of stick powder if you want that level of resolution.