• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does talking about ammo shortages make them worse?

Antares

Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
Alaska
This is an honest question. I don't want to rile people up or see this go down some political rabbit hole.

From a social psychology perspective, does excessive reference to shortages increase the likelihood of hoarding behavior and contribute to the severity and duration of shortages (Narrator: It does).

More pointedly, given how big and active The Hide's membership is, is it possible that all the chatter on here about ammo shortages is somewhat self fulfilling?

I don't know, but it's a thought I've had and I'm just curious what others think. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Mods: If this isn't the right place, please move it, delete it, or let me know. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: barnjs
“This is an honest question...”

As opposed to a dishonest question?

Said differently, if you close your eyes, click your heels three times and make a wish upon a star, a 5000-round case of black hills 77g will appear at your feet when you open your eyes.

It’s real, regardless if it’s discussed or not.

Last edited:
Agreed, it's real.

Does talking about it a lot make it worse?

"This is an honest question" was a different way of saying "I'm genuinely curious about peoples opinions and I'm not trying to bait anyone."

No, it does not, and I should not (and will not) have to explain why it doesn’t. If you really aren’t sure, flip your question around by changing the last word from “worse” to “better” or “more plentiful” and re-read my second paragraph above.

I've seen people buying ammo for guns they don't own. I've seen people buying more ammo than they will ever need.....all because of talk about ammo shortages.

I was recently at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. I was there to pick up some FGMM 215 primers....they always have them. I picked up a box and again...noticed that all the other primer types are sold out. I saw a guy come up to a shelf and buy a box (limit 1) of the FGMM 215's and comment... " I don't have any magnums...but I better get some just in case"... I was like....meh

Then I go to the bullet isle to get some Hornady 230gr A-Tips....they always have them....probably always will because I may be the only one buying them locally and they have a few dozen boxes on the shelves. Guy walks up to me and says, "Hey man..they got 1000 box of 223...you better get you a box before they are gone"....Limit 1. I was like..thanks man...but I have enough...and he gives me a look like I got three heads. Really man...I got enough 223....if I run out of 223...then the world is beyond fucked. He walks on muttering.

I understand people's unease with the current political / social climate....but buying a 100,000 rounds isn't the answer for most of these people. They won't even shoot what they currently have...because they might run out. You got 10,000 rounds of 9mm....and you are afraid of practice? These people never fired 10,000 rounds in their entire lives....they are unskilled, unsafe, and clueless.

I fired about 200 rounds of 308 and 50 rounds of 300PRC Thursday. The 300PRC is working in my brand new barrel...and come on...ringing steel at 1 mile is like banging the prettiest cheerleader...you live your dream atleast once....and if you can do it every day..fuck it...do it every day. The 308 was just enjoying a beautiful day at a beautiful range (TVP) and banging steel and relieving work stress. 200 Rounds down....barely put a dent in my FAT50 can of 308 that I took.

These people should have stocked up years ago.....practiced...and become proficient at shooting...instead...they are simply stacking ammo they will never use...and if the shit does hit the fan....we can all thank them for stacking ammo for us.

nope but hearing about ammo on sale make me happy especially when I can get a bit more of it even if it takes 2 to 3 weeks 6.5 creedmoor 130 gr prime at 1.60 per round yea baby .

I'm still trying to figure out the relevance of people hoarding toilet paper.
People do weird things when stressed.

Or bottled water.

I saw some fat heifer at the supermarket this past Friday with packs of bottled water stacked twice deep in her cart.

Whatever the fuck for? Typically, the people doing stupid shit like that are uneducated white trash (like the fat chick was)

This is an honest question. I don't want to rile people up or see this go down some political rabbit hole.

From a social psychology perspective, does excessive reference to shortages increase the likelihood of hoarding behavior and contribute to the severity and duration of shortages (Narrator: It does).

More pointedly, given how big and active The Hide's membership is, is it possible that all the chatter on here about ammo shortages is somewhat self fulfilling?

I don't know, but it's a thought I've had and I'm just curious what others think. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Mods: If this isn't the right place, please move it, delete it, or let me know. Thanks.

At this point it doesn't matter. This thing has taken a life of its own and being silent about it isn't going to do shit.

Idiots panic buying causes shortages. There wouldn't be a shortage, if people would chill out and quit hoarding shit.

Reactions: Henok
Not that crazy an idea OP. Maybe narrowing it down to the influence of SH specifically takes it a bit far, but it's not that hard to believe that social media (which forums like SH fall under the umbrella of) exert a great deal of influence over buying habits and perceptions of abundance and scarcity. We've conditioned so quickly to these influences that they seem like background noise on a daily basis, but they seem to play a pretty direct role in our decision making. Businesses and ad campaigns rely on that to be the case. Exclusivity enhances appeal, whether that Exclusivity comes from a planned limited release or real market shortage.

But, theres no putting the lid back on that particular Pandora's box. Unplugging from the roaring din of social media is not the direction things are moving.

Reactions: Shawn1492
Talking about it doesn't have a great effect in my opinion.

Going to the store and seeing the shelves looking like a shopping trip back in the good old CCCP, now that makes you buy whatever is available even if you don't actually need it, maybe you can find a use, maybe you can trade it.

I'm still trying to figure out the relevance of people hoarding toilet paper.
People do weird things when stressed.
Ninety-nine percent of the general public are stupid. I didn't believe this until I started working directly with the public.

How many people are on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram Etc... Start there was stupid

I've seen it firsthand on ARF.

Someone gets on there with a thread about how they just saw their local gun store sell out of all 5.56 today and they were told a panic is happening. If the thread gets traction, people are literally buying ammo while reading it.

Then if it keeps going, others will ask about an 'ammo shortage' in new threads and it just goes from there.

I've literally watch a real time self created panic via SGAmmo's inventory in relation to 2-3 idiot 'panic' threads on ARF where the panic was caused by some idiot who got others to believe there's a panic, which then was the only thing that caused the panic.

• Sad
Reactions: CrayonsGood
I've seen it firsthand on ARF.

Someone gets on there with a thread about how they just saw their local gun store sell out of all 5.56 today and they were told a panic is happening. If the thread gets traction, people are literally buying ammo while reading it.

Then if it keeps going, others will ask about an 'ammo shortage' in new threads and it just goes from there.

I've literally watch a real time self created panic via SGAmmo's inventory in relation to 2-3 idiot 'panic' threads on ARF where the panic was caused by some idiot who got others to believe there's a panic, which then was the only thing that caused the panic.

I got two words to validate your theory: toilet paper.

Reactions: Dewey7271

Here the new rush of the day is paper towels.
There is still a fair bit of TP available but paper towels are getting scarce again.

Not sure the theory behind it, but it kind of reminds me of what my Father wrote about shopping in Soviet times.

You may go to the store to buy meat, and not find any, but they have flyswatters, so you buy the flyswatter because you might need it, then another day you come to buy soap and there is no soap but there is meat so you buy meat.

Reactions: CrayonsGood
Here the new rush of the day is paper towels.
There is still a fair bit of TP available but paper towels are getting scarce again.

Not sure the theory behind it, but it kind of reminds me of what my Father wrote about shopping in Soviet times.

You may go to the store to buy meat, and not find any, but they have flyswatters, so you buy the flyswatter because you might need it, then another day you come to buy soap and there is no soap but there is meat so you buy meat.

Usually people with big asses need paper towels because toilet paper is like using a Qtip just doesn't cut.

If you want a scientific reason for ammo shortages for no reason....how about an article on a subject I've been studying for a few years now. Jamiton Waves...

Why Do Traffic Jams Sometimes Happen For No Reason

I'm sure all of us have been in a traffic situation that makes absolutely no sense. This can be directly correlated to the current ammo shortage.

Reactions: 308pirate

Exactly right.

Got sent to Costco (God I fucking hate Costco) by the wife to pick up some random stuff for the house she needed. Ended up there on the day that our state health department issued some empty warning of 'oh noes prepare yourselves for the coronavirus deathwave' and noticed right away there was something up when the parking lot had 0 spaces and there was a 1970s style line at the gas pumps.

Went in and there was lines 50 people deep at every register. I had never seen anything like this before.

Walk around with the plan to just get what the wife needed and realized that half of everything was totally gone and shelves were empty. At that point I grabbed stuff the idiots didn't think to buy yet as shit like toilet paper, clorox wipes and paper towels were gone and there were people with carts full of nothing but those 3 things. Grabbed another large bag of rice for the stockpile we already had, canned meat, baby wipes (Im still pretty sure noone has figured that out) and whatever I could that I originally needed.

Got in line and people were talking. The ONLY reason they were even there was because of the health department bullshit and everyone started calling everyone else freaking out about it. Otherwise, it would have been a normal day, and people could have come in everyday like normal and had the items they usually needed in stock. Instead, we got this based on literally nothing.

Fucking idiots.

Good psychological question....

Does talking about _________ shortages make them worse?

Fill in the blank.... You have opened the "Public Opinion" can of worms. A shortage to a person in California could have no effect on a person in Montana. A shortage in Montana could have no effect on a person in South Africa.

I don't think it makes a shortage worse. It simply makes people more aware of their surroundings.

Hobo

Exactly right.

Got sent to Costco (God I fucking hate Costco) by the wife to pick up some random stuff for the house she needed. Ended up there on the day that our state health department issued some empty warning of 'oh noes prepare yourselves for the coronavirus deathwave' and noticed right away there was something up when the parking lot had 0 spaces and there was a 1970s style line at the gas pumps.

Went in and there was lines 50 people deep at every register. I had never seen anything like this before.

Walk around with the plan to just get what the wife needed and realized that half of everything was totally gone and shelves were empty. At that point I grabbed stuff the idiots didn't think to buy yet as shit like toilet paper, clorox wipes and paper towels were gone and there were people with carts full of nothing but those 3 things. Grabbed another large bag of rice for the stockpile we already had, canned meat, baby wipes (Im still pretty sure noone has figured that out) and whatever I could that I originally needed.

Got in line and people were talking. The ONLY reason they were even there was because of the health department bullshit and everyone started calling everyone else freaking out about it. Otherwise, it would have been a normal day, and people could have come in everyday like normal and had the items they usually needed in stock. Instead, we got this based on literally nothing.

Fucking idiots.
Fucking sheep. They got played. The health department was testing their powers.

Damn right talking about it creates or contributes to the shortage. Look at the shit paper. There is no shortage, but because morons heard someone say there's a shit paper shortage, they run out and create a shit paper shortage.

This is much exacerbated with guns/ammo, because we have an incoming administration that said "we are coming for your guns/ammo".

Or bottled water.

I saw some fat heifer at the supermarket this past Friday with packs of bottled water stacked twice deep in her cart.

Whatever the fuck for? Typically, the people doing stupid shit like that are uneducated white trash (like the fat chick was)
I am humorously curious as to what the 308pirate definition of "uneducated white trash" is.

Costco....... grrrrr.
Fuel discount is okay, that's about it.
Why the fuck would I want a bulk box of Oreos?
Never could understand Costco's fuel deal. People with $85k Land Rover's, queueing up for the shitiest gas you could possibly buy.

There's a restaurant across the street from our Costco, so we get to see all the posers with the expensive cars, that are too broke to fucking put in decent fucking fuel. Fucking poors...

/end rant

Never could understand Costco's fuel deal. People with $85k Land Rover's, queueing up for the shitiest gas you could possibly buy.

There's a restaurant across the street from our Costco, so we get to see all the posers with the expensive cars, that are too broke to fucking put in decent fucking fuel. Fucking poors...

/end rant

When as they call it in Dallas you are a "Thirty Thousand dollar Millionaire" you don't have much money for gas, rent or food left over after the flash car and trying to buy drinks at the clubs to impress the local women from the 7th circle of hell.

I like women from the 7th Circle of Hell
downloadfile-3.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Krob95
I am humorously curious as to what the 308pirate definition of "uneducated white trash" is.
People who stack their shopping cart full of bottled water till it looks like an Indian truck because coronavirus cases are spiking

People too fucking stupid to understand that coronavirus doesn't give you the shits, so they buy all the toilet paper available.

Basically white people who don't have the education necessary to make intelligent decisions in life

If you want a scientific reason for ammo shortages for no reason....how about an article on a subject I've been studying for a few years now. Jamiton Waves...

Why Do Traffic Jams Sometimes Happen For No Reason

I'm sure all of us have been in a traffic situation that makes absolutely no sense. This can be directly correlated to the current ammo shortage.
Similar to that I read the results of another study about causes of traffic jams. It was done in Atlanta, and they set up cameras on overpasses where the slowdowns and jams happened daily. They found that the same handful of shitty drivers were causing the traffic jams everyday.

Quite simply, it’s all caused by morons who tailgate and ride their brakes every single day on the way to and from work. My question, if they can be identified, why aren’t they ticketed every day, or their highway privelidges revoked? Maybe issue them a license where they can’t drive on an interstate? I know my mom should have such a license...

Talking about it absolutely makes it worse, the media loves it because they get ratings based on pedaling fear. It's why we call it panic buying, there's no basis in reality for it.

Toilet paper and Paper towels, bottled water etc. are all perfect examples with Covid. Supply has not been impacted by Covid, people still need the same amount of water, paper towels and toilet paper (maybe a bit more since many are not at work using their employers) but overall none of those things are being used faster because of covid, but since the news keeps talking about how there isn't any available anywhere and shortages every 5 minutes tons more people are going out and buying whatever they can and you have instant panic buying/shortage with no increase of consumption. Plus by all accounts by manufacturers supply is not being impacted significantly, so it's not like all the suppliers of those things shut down. Perhaps the manufacturers of those things are giving kick backs to the media.

Ammo is the same, Obama never passed significant gun legislation, never even really talked about it, but every shooting the media went on their anti-gun rampage, and just talk of gun control sold millions of guns and probably billions of rounds of ammo, shortages and high prices for most of his 8 years. There was no need for it, and gun/ammo companies certainly smiled all the way to the bank literally for years because of it.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Quite simply, it’s all caused by morons who tailgate and ride their brakes every single day on the way to and from work. My question, if they can be identified, why aren’t they ticketed every day, or their highway privileges revoked? Maybe issue them a license where they can’t drive on an interstate? I know my mom should have such a license...

Don't forget the elist morons that refuse to merge into the through lane when they have signs 1.5 mile ahead the other lane is closing so they can jump in front of everyone else. As a result instead of traffic flowing at a nice constant slower pace, everyone gets backed up for 3 miles while everyone fights trying to get in at the last second.

Reactions: Fig
The shortage is being caused by the roughly 8 million BRAND NEW firearms owners,panic buyers or "waken up" buyers. If each just buys 1-150 rds,we're talking major suck of inventory,then the hoarders,stockers,etc.I think it will be a year minimum and that's if the Supreme Court rules favorably on vote manipulation...if not and BH are winners,the prices now will be a fond memory.

Basic psychology. Media drums up fear, real or imagined, for drama to get ratings. People feel things are beyond their control and stress levels rise. Buying stupid crap like toilet paper/water in competition with crowds makes them feel successful and “prepared” and let’s them feel a measure of control is restored in their life.
They are now “Preppers “ and ready, even though they live paycheck to paycheck with no reserves except a maxed out credit card.
Some of these folks just need a life mentor. A lot of them need a pool cue in the right spot cause they will never learn. “Social Security “ was set up for them.
Stupid games, stupid prizes.

It is an honest question..It deserves an honest answer...I DONT KNOW.. However in my opin ion I think taling about it makes it worse..M y reason being that people are scared and nervous about how our government is treating its citizens..Locking them down..No work..ETC...
Its like BN2Lee Stealthy said above..People buy stuff they don t have a need for to make them feel more prepared and to settle` they fears somewhat.

When as they call it in Dallas you are a "Thirty Thousand dollar Millionaire" you don't have much money for gas, rent or food left over after the flash car and trying to buy drinks at the clubs to impress the local women from the 7th circle of hell.

I know exactly the type you’re talking about, bounced on McKinney ave in Dallas for a few years. Unbelievable how many guys would park the Mercedes out front, walk up in designer clothes, but couldn’t afford a drink once inside.

I do blame the massive glut of new gun owners for the shortages, people I know are buying as many firearms as possible and as much ammo, but have no sort of training at all. They subconsciously believe that the mere possession of several weapons will somehow protect them from all imagined dangers.

As far as arfcom goes, it’s 90% retards on that forum. Never have I seen a bigger collection of navy seal wannabe larper retards dispensing stupid ass advice. It’s painful to read.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I know exactly the type you’re talking about, bounced on McKinney ave in Dallas for a few years. Unbelievable how many guys would park the Mercedes out front, walk up in designer clothes, but couldn’t afford a drink once inside.

I do blame the massive glut of new gun owners for the shortages, people I know are buying as many firearms as possible and as much ammo, but have no sort of training at all. They subconsciously believe that the mere possession of several weapons will somehow protect them from all imagined dangers.

As far as arfcom goes, it’s 90% retards on that forum. Never have I seen a bigger collection of navy seal wannabe larper retards dispensing stupid ass advice. It’s painful to read.
I have a friend that works at an indoor/outdoor range and shop on the weekends. The mass influx of new owners has been ridiculous for them. Was told their reloading guy cant find primers often or has to over pay. From what they have observed these new gun owners understand prices are higher for ammo but aren't deterred by them. For every shooter that has fallen out due to prices they replace with a new one that has no issue with ammo prices. The reality is a portion of these people have found a love for the sport just like we do. It put people like myself who shot anywhere from 3 to 5k rounds(lots of practice with 22s) a month to look at different aspects of the sport. I have left my pistols and carbines for this side of things. Several friends that up and quit shooting much of the summer and fall are inquiring more about long range. I think everyone over here will see crossovers due to prices and pain in the ass of trying to find the other kind of ammo.
A real possibility is if production isn't increased we might be in for a rough ride much longer than we had dreamed of.

Does talking about the ammo shortage to gun people make it worse? No.

Does talking about the ammo shortage to non gun people panic buying their first gun and all that shit make it worse? Yes.

I feel like if you've been into guns for a while you understand that sometimes there's shortages on certain types but usually it doesn't last long. And you know that a shortage doesn't mean there will be no ammo anywhere ever again, just wait a little bit for the supply to catch up to the demand. I think where the problem is is due to current events there's a lot of people buying guns that had never owned or had an interest in owning a gun before and they're also panic buying up all the ammo. I think their partially impatient and also dont understand the market as far as supply and demand go. Now I do only think they're buying up the popular calibers (5.56, 9mm, 45, etc.) but I think that effects less popular calibers because manufacturers are trying to pump out the stuff they know is going to sell and everything else is taking a bit of a back seat. I cant blame them tho, its a sellers market right now. I don't think I explained my opinion/theory well, but thats the gist of it i guess