• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

G

Associated Press

A Memphis Police Department recruit was accidentally shot in the arm by an instructor during a training exercise at the Police Training Academy.

The recruit, who was not identified, was wounded Tuesday in the left wrist and released from a hospital after treatment.

Deputy Chief Joe Scott told WMC-TV that the drill was meant to teach recruits how to draw a weapon using their non-shooting hand. One of two instructors fired a gun that was supposed to have been unloaded.

Scott called it an "unfortunate accident."

The instructor was routinely relieved of duty until an investigation is completed.

Re: Doh!

It could happen to anyone, once you start thinking htat critter is unloaded, it bites you or someone else. I hope this teacher does not get smoked for this.

The rumor mill around these parts says that there was a ND event at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, VA last week.

The story is that someone brought in a Glock wanting a holster for it.
Counter guy left the weapon on the display case and walked with the customer to look at holsters.

Second counter guy came along and thought that someone had left an inventory item out.
He picked it up, pointed it at the floor and pulled the trigger.
Luckily, all that got shot was the floor, but it certainly got everyone's attention.

Bass Pro has those cheap trigger locks on all firearms for sale, so the absence of a lock should have been a warning.

They WILL NOT remove them even if you want to try the trigger, here in KCMO.

That story may be incorrect or the employee may be an idiot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rumor mill around these parts says that there was a ND event at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, VA last week.

Counter guy left the weapon on the display case and walked with the customer to look at holsters.

Second counter guy came along and thought that someone had left an inventory item out.
Luckily, all that got shot was the floor, but it certainly got everyone's attention. </div></div>
The difference between this non-injury event and the recruit getting perforated is....

The instructor swept a live human who he did not want to shoot AND then pulled the trigger.

"Unloading" a firearm does NOT suspend all of the other Rules!

AFIC, that instructor should never train again. It takes MULTIPLE sequential failures to get to the point of sending a bullet through a recruit. Walk the walk, Buckwheat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rumor mill around these parts says that there was a ND event at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, VA last week.

Luckily, all that got shot was the floor, but it certainly got everyone's attention. </div></div>
The difference between this non-injury event and the recruit getting perforated is....

The instructor swept a live human who he did not want to shoot AND then pulled the trigger.

"Unloading" a firearm does NOT suspend all of the other Rules!

AFIC, that instructor should never train again. It takes MULTIPLE sequential failures to get to the point of sending a bullet through a recruit. Walk the walk, Buckwheat! </div></div>fuck yea that instructor should be banned from teaching and pistol whipped with extreme prejudice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It could happen to anyone, once you start thinking htat critter is unloaded, it bites you or someone else. I hope this teacher does not get smoked for this. </div></div>

Are you serious? With minor effort this event is easily avoided. Some trainers go to great lengths to insure needless events like this CANNOT happen. This is easily accomplished with multi layered checks and safeties into and out of the training area couple that process with a simple investment of two dollars http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2318.php and you have visual and physical prevention of an ND during training.

I don't wish this situation on anyone, however as a trainer this guy should be done.

I had a bro named Joey Cushman who was killed in a training accident with his tac unit. A great cop and a great guy killed by an unloaded weapon.

I have zero fucking patience for this kind of shit. This is why nothing but a red gun should EVER be allowed in the classroom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a bro named Joey Cushman who was killed in a training accident with his tac unit. A great cop and a great guy killed by an unloaded weapon.

I have zero fucking patience for this kind of shit. This is why nothing but a red gun should EVER be allowed in the classroom. </div></div>

+1000000 on the red gun, as for the last comment, its always the guys who take the extra steps in safty that this happens to, Dont think of my comment as lazzy safty, my comment is that its always the un loaded critter that bites you. Ie thats why I love the red guns.

That is definitely a major case of stupidity and complacency. I don't think he should be trusted to train recruits when he apparently lacks the skill to do things properly and safely. That is level 1 gun handling and safety right there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a bro named Joey Cushman who was killed in a training accident with his tac unit. A great cop and a great guy killed by an unloaded weapon.

I have zero fucking patience for this kind of shit. <span style="font-weight: bold">This is why nothing but a red gun should EVER be allowed in the classroom</span>. </div></div>

I am very sorry for your loss.....but your statement in bold, I disagree with. In a class room setting, you can swap out your regular barrel for a training barrel, which is a solid piece of plastic and makes you gun unable to be fired.

You can't even load a round, because the chamber is blocked. It allows you to demonstrate loading techniques, reloading of magazines, trigger press & using the trigger reset & clearing drills.

This is much more realistic and better than simply using a "red gun". The red gun has it's place in certain training classes, but is unrealistic in others. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend.

Another unfortunate end is that in police training the fear of being dropped during training and FTO is pounded so hard into recruites mind that they often do not have the confidence to request something be stopped for safety. This mentality should be changed to some rule such as rewarding a recruit with a case of beer (afterwords) if he opens his mouth to identify an instructor doing something stupid.

MGD, if you want tap rack ready drills and the like, then do it on a range with a dedicated firing line and all the protocols that go on at the range.

If you're doing drills , then there is no need to have a real weapon.

In your solution, I forsee testimony: "I just forgot to change the barrels..."

This is almost exactly what happened to Joey. They were doing team training with simunition. They went to lunch (and switched back to their duty weapons). After lunch, they were all dicking around telling the new guy how sim rounds bounce off helmets. Joey donned the helmet, while they were talking. Blane, without thinking, drew his weapon, and put one in Joeys head.

The sim weapons were actual weapons that had been converted to simunition. (See where this is going?) Blane said that bc that weapon and his duty weapon were identical in apprearance, he just forgot to switch em out, and he didnt notice the difference when holding the gun. Sounds like something that could be an easy mistake with a fake barrel, doesnt it?

Was in Blane's fault? Yes. Preventable? Yes. This accident was caused, in part, by the fact that the exterior of the weapon looked just like a real weapon. Never would have happened if the training weapons were READILY IDENTIFIABLE as brightly colored training weapons.

But, hey, Joey had a great fucking funeral.

damn bro... sorry for your loss.. sucks that situations like happen.. no disrespect to the loss of your friend... but i always think about that clip with the black guy with the dredlocks in the class room talking about he is the only one who is qualified to handle a gun and bam.. shoots himself.. always finding myself clearing my weapons 2 or 3 times and checking other folks around me.. i get alot of " man i cleared it" i gives a fuck.. let me see..

The training barrel I'm refering to is an extremely bright yellow solid plastic barrel that CANNOT be mistaken for a real barrel. There is no way any instructor who isn't blind would mistakenly reassemble the gun with the real barrel & not know it. It's simply impossible. Been using it for years........not a single problem.

In your story of how Joey died, the main cause was that several basic firearm rules of safety were violated. I'm assuming that the person who shot Joey wasn't the instructor. No firearms are allowed in my classroom by ANY of the students. Only the instructor has the yellow plastic barrel training pistol. ONLY the instructor handles & uses the gun for different demonstrations.

Once again, I'm sorry about your loss, but this wasn't an accident that occurred in a classroom environment by the instructor.......The instructor allowed the students to "re-arm" back up & just like you said in your post, "they were dicking around..." This doesn't have anything to do with a classroom setting instruction. Atleast, that's how I interpret it.

In EVERY training accident, rules are violated. Thats the whole fucking point. Human error is always a factor.

By saying something like, "It's simply impossible," you obviously dont take that human factor into consideration... Or youve just gotten very complacent.

And, yes, Blane was an instructor.

So, when you go out to lunch from training, you dont make ready your weapon? You go into public or allow your students to go into public with a non working weapon or an empty holster?

Youre barrel doesnt address another issue.

A redgun is readily identifiable while in the holster, where the weapon is going to be most of the time.

The presence or absence of a yellow barrel cant be seen...maybe until its too late.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In EVERY training accident, rules are violated. Thats the whole fucking point. Human error is always a factor.

By saying something like, "It's simply impossible," you obviously dont take that human factor into consideration... Or youve just gotten very complacent.

And, yes, Blane was an instructor.

So, when you go out to lunch from training, you dont make ready your weapon? You go into public or allow your students to go into public with a non working weapon or an empty holster? </div></div>
That's not the point and that's not the problem.

It's what is/was allowed to happen AFTER the return from lunch, rolling out armed and all that.

This is not the first time I've heard of a lethal training accident AFTER LUNCH. You gotta have a hot zone where EVERYTHING is cleared and all ammo removed and all live arms or live barrels or non-Simunitions barrels are LEFT BEHIND.

Then you gotta have a "training zone" where EVERYTHING IS CHECKED AGAIN, and only after that point can anyone point what is now technically not a firearm at any human, live or dead.

A lot of these training mishaps would be more easily prevented if there were as much concern about protecting the LE officers from each other, than about protecting them from the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">commoners</span>, oh, citizens.

If that's not possible, then for Heaven's sake have lunch ordered in so there are not so many opportunities to "forget".

Any decent plaintiff's attorney would be able to rightfully rip these types of procedures before the fatal accidents to shreds.

That really sucks that the instructor was the one who pulled the trigger....(not that anyone else doing it would be better..)....

I'm only trying to address your statement of "nothing other than a red gun" should ever be in a classroom".....so I guess when your introducing a class of students to a new firearm, how to you get them to disassemble & reassemble & learn how to clean on a red gun?

It doesn't matter if your "classroom" is in a building or a range.....sooner or later you have to have your students touch and manipulate a real weapon in order to teach them. This is why safety rules & regulations are so important and should be checked & re-checked by multiple instructors.

Your correct in that the human factor will be introduced, and mistakes might be made.....but if that's the case, I guess we might as well end firearms training & qualifing.....because sooner or later we will be giving students real guns with real ammo......so I guess it's not safe.

Rearming and leaving the classroom for a break & returning is a whole different scenario which reopens the "can of safety". What you've described is different than what I'm referring to. My bright yellow training barrel isn't on my personal gun, but rather on an extra gun that is soley used for the teaching & demonstration purposes in the classroom.

The reason for this is exactly for the scenario you described......there is no way the gun can accidentally be made "live"....because it's always kept with the blank yellow barrel during the entire class instruction.

Before our students are allowed to re-enter after a break they are checked for weapons at two different points by two different instructors.

If one of the students violates a standard rule of safety while on break & outside the classroom & points a gun at a fellow officer and shoots him.....Then that is on the individual officer, not the instructor......unless the instructor is the one who did it!

I can remember on my first firearm instructor school I attended, everytime the instructor was going to show us something on a real gun, he would perform a safety check in front of us, then he would have 2 different students come up & verify by performing their own checks, so that 3 people have now confirmed the gun was cleared.

He did this so much over the 2 week class period that it became annoying because it felt like he slowed down the class.....but he taught us a great safety lesson, & one that I do in my instruction to this day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm only trying to address your statement of "nothing other than a red gun" should ever be in a classroom".....so I guess when your introducing a class of students to a new firearm, how to you get them to disassemble & reassemble & learn how to clean on a red gun?
</div></div>

LOL.

I see your point. "Never" might be a strong word. I was referring to DT style training scenarios, firearm retention drills, or learning new techniques such as this incident (drawing weak side). For that kind of shit, nothing more than a red gun is needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of these training mishaps would be more easily prevented if there were as much concern about protecting the LE officers from each other, than about protecting them from the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">commoners</span>, oh, citizens.
</div></div>

Who the hell protects LE from the public, other than us?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm only trying to address your statement of "nothing other than a red gun" should ever be in a classroom".....so I guess when your introducing a class of students to a new firearm, how to you get them to disassemble & reassemble & learn how to clean on a red gun?
</div></div>

LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">I see your point. "Never" might be a strong word. I was referring to DT style training scenarios, firearm retention drills, or learning new techniques such as this incident (drawing weak side). For that kind of shit, nothing more than a red gun is needed.</span></div></div>

I absolutely agree 100 % with this statment. I actually meant to mention this type of training but I guess I got long winded & it slipped my mind! We use the red gun too for DT training, & your spot on. Nothing but a red gun or blue gun should ever be used with this type of training.
cool.gif

</div></div>

Here's a quote from a friend of mine who does lots of instructing all over.

"Being an instructor means you are the subject matter expert. In this case and in our instructor capacity we handle firearms on a daily basis. We load, unload and manipulate weapons with ease..... which allows some to become complacent. I like to think I am so damn good I am about to make a mistake.... Kind keeps me in check."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a quote from a friend of mine who does lots of instructing all over.

"[snip] I like to think I am so damn good I am about to make a mistake.... Kind keeps me in check." </div></div>
Best attitude I've ever encountered. It may have already saved at least one life.

You and your friend deserve props for sharing that.

Shaggy

Sorry to hear of your loss. Had the same thing happen. Our sim guns are now BRIGHT Blue and are never changed. We had finished working house clearing drills with the changable barreled sim guns and were leaving and two of our guys did the same thing after firing sim guns all day and now dead cop shot by his best friend. That was a bad day for us and changed most of us forever. We have a three level security check on top of all training weapons are now NEON. And no live weapons are brought into the training area (on the grounds), completely forbidden!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of these training mishaps would be more easily prevented if there were as much concern about protecting the LE officers from each other, than about protecting them from the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">commoners</span>, oh, citizens.
</div></div>

Who the hell protects LE from the public, other than us? </div></div>
Well, since we haven't banned virtually all private firearms ownership here like they did in Jamaica in 1976, the risk level from *all* citizens to LEs is much, much lower than it is there.

If we look at only firearms for LE in the line of duty deaths, don't we have a disturbingly large (more than 10%?) proportion of dead officers killed by each other? It's unfair, but adding in suicides by firearm really boosts the dead percentage NOT killed by citizen/alien/illegal alien-bad guys.

Since so many of these training incidents are non-fatal, I also worry about how the ratio would change if all firearm injuries were added to the death by firearms figures.

The irreverent point is similar to the argument that we could cut drunk driving deaths in our country in half by taking all of the OTHER drivers off the roads. Think about it. Effective (perhaps more than half because none of us would be there to get hit) but unacceptable for other reasons.

10% huh? What hole did you pull that bullshit number out of?

2008 - 132 officers in LOD. One is known to have been killed by officers, who arrived on scene and mistook him as a suspect bc he was in plainclothes. One was killed during a raid with the FBI, and they still arent sure that in was another officers bullet that got him (since all hell broke loose).

That, so the math doesnt confuse you, comes out to 1.5%, assuming the FBI killed that officer.

.7% if the FBI didnt get him.

Corporal Courtney G. Brooks
Maryland Transportation Authority Police D.., MD
EOW: Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Cause of Death: Vehicular assault

Deputy Sheriff Jason S. Zunker
Chippewa County Sheriff's Department, WI
EOW: Saturday, January 5, 2008
Cause of Death: Struck by vehicle

Detective James Walker
Miami Police Department, FL
EOW: Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Cause of Death: Gunfire

Deputy Sheriff Sean Pursifull
Bell County Sheriff's Department, KY
EOW: Thursday, January 10, 2008

Deputy Constable David Joubert
Harris County Constable's Office - Precinct 7, TX
EOW: Sunday, January 13, 2008
Cause of Death: Motorcycle accident
Police Officer Eric Barker
DeKalb County Police Department, GA
EOW: Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Police Officer Ricky Bryant Jr.
DeKalb County Police Department, GA
EOW: Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Detective Jarrod Shivers
Chesapeake Police Department, VA
EOW: Thursday, January 17, 2008

Senior Border Patrol Agent Luis Aguilar
United States Department of Homeland Secur..., US
EOW: Saturday, January 19, 2008
Police Officer Matthew B. Thebeau
Corpus Christi Police Department, TX
EOW: Sunday, January 20, 2008
Cause of Death: Automobile accident

Police Officer Akeem Basil (Teddy) Newton
Virgin Islands Police Department, VI
EOW: Sunday, January 20, 2008
Detective Christopher A. Ridley
Mount Vernon Police Department, NY
EOW: Friday, January 25, 2008
Cause of Death: Gunfire (Accidental)

Trooper Daniel R. Barrett
Indiana State Police, IN
EOW: Sunday, January 27, 2008
Police Officer Nicola Cotton
New Orleans Police Department, LA
EOW: Monday, January 28, 2008

Lance Corporal James D. Haynes
South Carolina Highway Patrol, SC
EOW: Friday, February 1, 2008
Sergeant Richard C. LeBow
Arkansas State Police, AR
EOW: Monday, February 4, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Dustin Duncan
Latimer County Sheriff's Office, OK
EOW: Monday, February 4, 2008
Police Officer Tom Ballman
Kirkwood Police Department, MO
EOW: Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sergeant William Biggs
Kirkwood Police Department, MO
Police Officer Randal (Randy) Simmons
Los Angeles Police Department, CA

Criminal Investigator Denise Phoenix
United States Department of the Interior -..., US
EOW: Thursday, February 14, 2008
Cause of Death: Exposure to toxins

Corporal Harry Thielepape
Harris County Constable's Office - Precinct 6, TX
EOW: Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Craig Miller
Harris County Sheriff's Department, TX
EOW: Thursday, February 21, 2008

Senior Corporal Victor Lozada-Tirado
Dallas Police Department, TX
EOW: Friday, February 22, 2008

Police Officer Mark Beck
Baton Rouge City Police Department, LA
EOW: Monday, February 25, 2008

Trooper Kara M. Kelly-Borgognone
Nevada Highway Patrol, NV
EOW: Thursday, February 28, 2008

Police Officer Derek Owens
Cleveland Police Department, OH
EOW: Saturday, March 1, 2008

Special Agent Robert Patrick Flickinger
Chickasaw Lighthorse Police Department, TR
EOW: Friday, March 7, 2008

Police Officer James D. Fezatte
Millbrook Police Department, AL
EOW: Saturday, March 29, 2008

Border Patrol Agent Jarod Dittman
United States Department of Homeland Secur..., US
EOW: Sunday, March 30, 2008

Constable Joe Howard
Harlan County Constable's Office, KY
EOW: Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Cause of Death: Heart attack

Correction Officer Kenneth Duncan
New York City Department of Correction, NY
EOW: Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Trooper James Scott Burns
Texas Department of Public Safety - Texas ..., TX
EOW: Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Deputy Sheriff Robert Griffin
Decatur County Sheriff's Office, GA
EOW: Thursday, May 1, 2008

Senior Investigator Laura J. Cleaves
Santa Barbara County District Attorney's O..., CA
EOW: Thursday, May 1, 2008

Deputy Sheriff William Howell Jr.
Orangeburg County Sheriff's Office, SC
EOW: Saturday, May 3, 2008
Sergeant Stephen Liczbinski
Philadelphia Police Department, PA
EOW: Saturday, May 3, 2008

Special Agent Aaron Garcia
Union Pacific Railroad Police Department, RR
EOW: Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Deputy Sheriff James Throne
Kern County Sheriff's Department, CA
EOW: Friday, May 23, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Michael Sean Thomas
Bibb County Sheriff's Office, GA
EOW: Sunday, May 25, 2008
Sergeant Leslie (Les) Wilmott
Kiefer Police Department, OK
EOW: Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lieutenant Michael Avilucea
New Mexico State Police, NM
EOW: Friday, May 30, 2008
Police Officer Erik David Hite
Tucson Police Department, AZ
EOW: Monday, June 2, 2008

Police Officer Everett William Dennis
Carthage Police Department, TX
EOW: Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Transport Officer Virgil Lee Behrens
Marion County Sheriff's Department, IA
EOW: Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Shane Tate
Grundy County Sheriff's Department, TN
EOW: Thursday, June 5, 2008
Police Officer Todd Bahr
Fredericksburg Police Department, VA
EOW: Friday, June 6, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Steve Boehm
Onslow County Sheriff's Department, NC
EOW: Saturday, June 14, 2008
Deputy Sheriff Jose Antonio (Tony) Diaz
Yolo County Sheriff's Department, CA
EOW: Sunday, June 15, 2008

Trooper David Shawn Blanton Jr.
North Carolina Highway Patrol, NC
EOW: Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Correctional Officer Jose Rivera
United States Department of Justice - Fede..., US
EOW: Friday, June 20, 2008
Cause of Death: Stabbed

Police Officer Nicholas Heine
Pueblo Police Department, CO
EOW: Saturday, June 21, 2008
Correctional Officer Donna Fitzgerald
Florida Department of Corrections, FL
EOW: Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Cause of Death: Stabbed

Sergeant Richard Findley
Prince George's County Police Department, MD
EOW: Friday, June 27, 2008
Police Officer Gary Gryder
Houston Police Department, TX
EOW: Sunday, June 29, 2008

Police Officer Richard Francis
Chicago Police Department, IL
EOW: Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Police Officer Kenneth (Greg) Surles
Pell City Police Department, AL
EOW: Friday, July 4, 2008

Agent Osvaldo Pérez-León
Puerto Rico Police Department, PR
EOW: Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Police Officer Joshua T. Miktarian
Twinsburg Police Department, OH
EOW: Sunday, July 13, 2008

Police Officer Andrew Widman
Fort Myers Police Department, FL
EOW: Friday, July 18, 2008
Deputy Sheriff Anthony Forgione
Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office, FL
EOW: Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Police Officer Aldo Rossi
Port Dickinson Police Department, NY
EOW: Sunday, July 27, 2008
Trooper Shawn W. Snow
New York State Police, NY
EOW: Sunday, August 3, 2008
Cause of Death: Electrocuted

Detective Sandra Joyce Bullock
Bushnell Police Department, FL
EOW: Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Deputy Sheriff Dennis Compton
Colleton County Sheriff's Office, SC
EOW: Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Officer Monte Ruby
CoxHealth Department of Public Safety, MO
EOW: Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Cause of Death: Assault
Agent Osvaldo Gonzalez-Ortiz
Puerto Rico Police Department, PR
EOW: Thursday, August 7, 2008
Cause of Death: Gunfire (Accidental)

Detective Michael Smith Phillips
Virginia Beach Police Department, VA
EOW: Thursday, August 7, 2008
Deputy Probation Officer Irene Beatrice Rios
Imperial County Probation Department, CA
EOW: Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lieutenant Robert Curry
Gulfport Police Department, MS
EOW: Thursday, August 14, 2008
Deputy Sheriff Martha Woods Shareef
Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Department, LA
EOW: Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ordinance Officer Kathy Ann Cox
Gordon County Sheriff's Office, GA
EOW: Thursday, August 21, 2008
Police Officer Thomas Raji
Perth Amboy Police Department, NJ
EOW: Friday, August 22, 2008

Police Officer Melvin Dyer
Duxbury Police Department, MA
EOW: Monday, August 25, 2008
Police Officer Timothy A. Haley
Columbus Division of Police, OH
EOW: Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Cause of Death: Duty related illness

Trooper Evan F. Schneider
Montana Highway Patrol, MT
EOW: Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Deputy Sheriff Anne Jackson
Skagit County Sheriff's Office, WA
EOW: Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Officer Christopher Kane
Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, FL
EOW: Thursday, September 4, 2008

Police Officer Isabel Nazario
EOW: Friday, September 5, 2008

Police Officer Kenneth Santucci
Belleville Police Department, NJ
EOW: Saturday, September 6, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Marty M. Martin
Franklin County Sheriff's Department, OH

Sergeant Paul Starzyk
Martinez Police Department, CA

Trooper Andrew Stocks
North Carolina Highway Patrol, NC
EOW: Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sergeant Dario Aponte
New Haven Police Department, CT
EOW: Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Police Officer Grant Jansen
St. Charles Police Department, MO
EOW: Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Police Officer III Spree Desha
Los Angeles Police Department, CA
EOW: Friday, September 12, 2008
Cause of Death: Train accident

Sergeant Michael C. Weigand Jr.
Latimore Township Police Department, PA
EOW: Sunday, September 14, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Adam William Klutz
Caldwell County Sheriff's Office, NC
EOW: Friday, September 19, 2008

Officer Kristine Fairbanks
United States Department of Agriculture - ..., US
EOW: Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sergeant Patrick McDonald
EOW: Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Police Officer Nathaniel Taylor Jr.
EOW: Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pilot Stephen H. Bunker
Maryland State Police, MD
Cause of Death: Aircraft accident
Trooper First Class Mickey C. Lippy
Maryland State Police, MD

Sergeant Robert Douglas
Oklahoma City Police Department, OK
Correctional Officer Douglas Falconer
Arizona Department of Corrections, AZ
EOW: Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Correctional Officer Rodney Kelley
Alabama Department of Corrections, AL
EOW: Friday, October 3, 2008
Police Officer Bradley Moody
Richmond Police Department, CA
EOW: Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Deputy Sheriff David Gilstrap
Oconee County Sheriff's Office, GA
EOW: Thursday, October 9, 2008
Game Warden George Harold Whatley Jr.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department - Law ..., TX
EOW: Friday, October 10, 2008

Officer / Paramedic Bruce W. Harrolle
Arizona Department of Public Safety, AZ
EOW: Monday, October 13, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Sarah Jones
Monroe County Sheriff's Office, IN
EOW: Sunday, October 19, 2008

Second Lieutenant Frank Stecco
Fairfax County Police Department, VA
EOW: Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Cause of Death: Drowned

Police Officer David Tome
Northern York County Regional Police Depar..., PA
EOW: Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Police Officer Richard Bremer
Frederick City Police Department, MD
EOW: Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Cause of Death: Vehicle pursuit

Deputy Sheriff Randy Hamson
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, CA
EOW: Friday, October 24, 2008

Police Officer Shane Figueroa
Phoenix Police Department, AZ
EOW: Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sergeant Michael King
University City Police Department, MO
EOW: Friday, October 31, 2008

Police Officer Frank Russo
Schaumburg Police Department, IL
EOW: Saturday, November 1, 2008

Detective Joseph Airhart Jr.
EOW: Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Police Officer Nathaniel Burnfield
South Strabane Township Police Department, PA
EOW: Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Police Officer Charles Skinner
North Salt Lake Police Department, UT
EOW: Friday, November 7, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Lawrence Canfield
Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, CA
EOW: Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sergeant Monty Carmikle
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, AR
EOW: Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sergeant Timothy Simpson
EOW: Monday, November 17, 2008

Special Agent Samuel Hicks
United States Department of Justice - Fede..., US
EOW: Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Police Officer Alex Del Rio
Hollywood Police Department, FL
EOW: Saturday, November 22, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Nick Pham
Monroe County Sheriff's Office, FL
EOW: Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sheriff Brent Lee
Trinity County Sheriff's Department, TX
EOW: Thursday, November 27, 2008

Reserve Officer Curtis Jones
New Orleans Police Department, LA
EOW: Saturday, November 29, 2008

Police Officer Robert Davis
San Antonio Police Department, TX
EOW: Monday, December 1, 2008

Police Officer Timothy Abernethy
Houston Police Department, TX
EOW: Sunday, December 7, 2008

Deputy Sheriff Brian Denning
Sumner County Sheriff's Department, TN
EOW: Monday, December 8, 2008

Captain Tom Tennant
Woodburn Police Department, OR
EOW: Friday, December 12, 2008
Cause of Death: Bomb

Senior Trooper William Hakim
Oregon State Police, OR
EOW: Saturday, December 13, 2008
Cause of Death: Bomb

Officer Joseph Sanders
California Highway Patrol, CA
EOW: Monday, December 15, 2008

Police Officer Mark Simmons
Amarillo Police Department, TX
EOW: Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Deputy Sheriff Jeremy Keith Carter
Evangeline Parish Sheriff's Department, LA
EOW: Friday, December 19, 2008
Cause of Death: Duty related illness

Deputy Sheriff William K. Chadwell
Pickaway County Sheriff's Office, OH
EOW: Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Police Officer Mason Samborski
Oak Park Police Department, MI
EOW: Sunday, December 28, 2008

Take a look at those CODs.

You want to protect us worthless dumb cops? STOP DRIVING.

Now, according to the NTOA (National Tactical Officers Association), here is the list of every officer killed by a firearm accident in the history of modern North American policing:

March 5, 1913
Spokane Police Department, Washington
Officer Frederick E. Goddard

February 12, 1939
Spokane Police Department, Washington
Officer John H. Miller

June 24, 1971
Wilmington Police Department, North Carolina
Officer C.A. Davis

June 18, 1973
Camden Police Department, Arkansas
Patrolman Grady Van Wilson

April 21, 1977
Oklahoma City Police Department, Oklahoma
Sergeant Terry Glen Lawson

August 9, 1977
Hickory Police Department, North Carolina
Officer Jerald Wayne Maynor

August 17, 1979
Farmington Police Department, New Mexico
Lt. Owen A. Landdeck

July 5, 1981
Fredericton Police Department, New Brunswick, Canada
Constable Perley S. Calhoun

July 18, 1982
Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department, Lawrence County, TN
Deputy Sheriff James A. Lovelace

September 16, 1983
Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas
Captain Robert R. Jones

November 9, 1983
Apache Junction, Arizona
Officer Russell Lowell Duncan

August 24, 1984
U.S. Capitol Police, Washington, D.C.
Sergeant Christopher S. Eney

August 16, 1985
Aurora Police Department, Colorado
Officer Thomas J. Dietzman, Jr.

February 23, 1986
West Jordan Police Department, Utah
Officer Thomas M. Rees

July 9, 1986
Clayton County Sheriff’s Department, Georgia
Lieutenant Robert Gerald Bridges

December 10, 1987
Fort Wayne Police Department, Indiana
Officer Omega Graham

April 11, 1990
Cedar Hill Police Department, Texas
Patrolman Grady Morris Lamb

August 12, 1991
United States Air Force Security Police, Fort Dix, NJ
Security Policeman Sean Elms

October 12, 1992
North Charleston Police Department, South Carolina
Officer James Simmons

February 6, 1993
Niagara Regional Police, Ontario, Canada
Constable Jeffrey Paolozzi

March 30, 1993
Brookfield Police Department, Wisconsin
Corporal Jeffrey Gusinda

October 20, 1993
Rock Island Police Department, Illinois
Auxiliary Officer Todd Johnson

December 25, 1993
Orange County Sheriff’s Department, California
Deputy Darryn L. Robins

May 15, 1994
Palo Alto Police Department, California
Reserve Officer Theodore Herman Brassinga

August 26, 1996
Louisiana Dept. of Public Safety and Corrections, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Probation Officer David Glen Seymour

March 4, 1999
Nebraska State Patrol, Nebraska
Trooper Mark Paul Wagner

September 12, 2000
Clackamas County Sheriff’s Department, Oregon
Deputy Sheriff William Douglas Bowman

June 7, 2001
Arlington Police Department, Texas
Corporal Joseph Cushman

October 17, 2001
Calgary Police Service, Alberta, Canada
Constable Darren L. Beatty

December 27, 2001
East Providence Police Department, Rhode Island
Major Alister C. McGregor

January 14, 2004
Prattville Police Department, Alabama
Officer Clinton Earl Walker

March 25, 2005
Easton Police Department, Pennsylvania
Officer Jesse Sollman

September 13, 2005
Kennesaw Police Department, Georgia
Officer Tara Drummond

November 22, 2005
Mexia School District Police Department, Texas
Sergeant Scott Neal

December 6, 2006
Federal Bureau of Investigation, Bowling Green, Virginia
Supervisory Special Agent Gregory Rahoi

September 29, 2007
Gary Police Department, Indiana
Auxiliary Officer Kevin Weaver

December 19, 2007
Port of Corpus Christi Police Department, Texas
Officer James Saavedra

Again, I will do some math for you. Thats 37 officers in 94 YEARS.

Still sticking with that fucking 10%?

Absolutely not, sir. I hope you did notice the question mark at the end of what was a gross error in recollection. I may have been misremembering from the vehicular accidents (not driven over/vehicular attack by perps) figures.

In 2008, looks like heart attacks significantly outnumbered the accidental shootings.

Driving remains a large hazard.

Hardly any accidental shootings the first 60 years of the 20th Century (2), then they increase to eventually become almost an annual event of from one to four. Would like to know the rate per 100,000 officers per year to see whether it's really getting that much worse, or it just reflects a larger population.

So, for officer safety during training, I would still conclude that the safest thing to do would order lunch in, keep the officers out of their cars, remove all need to re-arm before going out because they're not going out, and make lunch only American Heart Association-approved, no more than 30% of the calories from fat, meals. Donut (only 1 each) at the END of the day.

I can't imagine any decent life without at least some donuts.

I missed the "?" in your post. I apologize for the assjumping.

The heart attack in LE is a scary thing:

You go to the acad and run your ass off. You get out and sit in a car for 7.5 hrs per day. Your heart gets used to being sedentary. Then, occasionally, it goes from 60bpm to 200bpm. This fucks with your heart. Add a life of junk food, nicotine and booze, and you see where the problem lies. Couple this with ONCE PER YEAR fitness evals, which are "fudged" half the time.

On top of that, you get young guys with undiagnosed heart issues. And, (it does happen) guys literally get scared to death. Going from Condition White to Black (Street Survival series) with nothing in between, and this can happen.

Only recently, did heart attacks and the like actually become LOD deaths. Before that, it wasnt considered a LOD death if you had a heart attack while chasing a suspect or something like that.

Worse yet, you get guys like the guy who's story got posted on here, who are pushing 300lbs or more. That heart is a ticking time bomb on patrol.

Hell, at my age (still relatively young), its tough chasing a 20 year old suspect on foot. Even if we are in the same shape - he isnt carrying the belt and armor.

As for lunch, I think that is a fucking great idea. Ive gotta admit, in all the trainings Ive been to, Ive never even heard that idea brought up.

Maybe it should be. Sometimes, a fresh set of eyes on a problem is all you need to fix it. This damn well might be one of those cases. I plan on bringing that up before our next departmental DT yearly training.