• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Doomsday preppers.

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
2/7/12 on Nat Geo.

I am for the whole thought of maintaining some sort of state of preparation, that is "smart". However, I give it until the start of the summer before the doomsday-armageddon fantasies are played out. I can only take so much of the "I am so special, and feel like the universe-god-spaghetti monster-fluffy bunny rabbits feel I am so important that the world should end to validate my existence." What, no documentaries on survivng the zombie appocolypse?

Re: Doomsday preppers.

yea im sure come June July maybe little later it be full on..

get it wile its hot boys

Caught my eye. It's becoming a full-time occupation suppressing the eye-roll reflex. I'd say "What's next?", but apparently they don't think there'll be a "next".

Survivalist reality programming, maybe they're right; what could possibly be next...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2/7/12 on Nat Geo.

I am for the whole thought of maintaining some sort of state of preparation, that is "smart". However, I give it until the start of the summer before the doomsday-armageddon fantasies are played out. I can only take so much of the "I am so special, and feel like the universe-god-spaghetti monster-fluffy bunny rabbits feel I am so important that the world should end to validate my existence." What, no documentaries on survivng the zombie appocolypse? </div></div>

NatGeo or the History channel aired one of those "Zombie-esque" infometaries as well.

BTW 2/7 is a re-airing from last year.

The couple of doomsday prepper shows I've seen remind me of those horder shows. And I thought Y2K was silly.

I'll watch em. It will be like caseing a bank from my lazy boy. When shit actually does hit the fan I'll have better intel on what a real prepper looks like.

as with most of these 2012 type threads, being a survivalist isn't going to mean a hill of beans as your soul is in question, not your tangible physical presence.

instead of worrying about what ammo to chose, it's more a matter of picking a side - good or evil.

repent instead of reloading, bible instead of barrett.

i'm not a holy roller or anything like that, but this one is going to be survived on a much higher plane of existance.

can't wait to be here on the hide the 22nd of december, but will either have a gallon of holy water or a pitchfork next to me on the 21st!

here is the original

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PaxjfQheNes"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PaxjfQheNes" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Not a prepper. For me, it makes no sense.

My and my Wife's survival are so inescapably linked to society and it's support net that when it goes away, we woudn't be far behind. With respect to those more rugged and individual, such an existance holds little appeal anyway.

Thats not to say we don't have some modest and prudent accomodations enacted. But they are not for us, they are for family, friends, and neighbors to employ.

If my personal survival lasts long enough to acquaint those folks with some small, critical, discreet resources at their disposal; that would please me greatly and adequately. I may not be in there for the long haul, but at least I can accomplsh that much.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a prepper. For me, it makes no sense.

My and my Wife's survival are so inescapably linked to society and it's support net that when it goes away, we woudn't be far behind. With respect to those more rugged and individual, such an existance holds little appeal anyway.

Thats not to say we don't have some modest and prudent accomodations enacted. But they are not for us, they are for family, friends, and neighbors to employ.

If my personal survival lasts long enough to acquaint those folks with some small, critical, discreet resources at their disposal; that would please me greatly and adequately. I may not be in there for the long haul, but at least I can accomplsh that much.

Greg </div></div>

I thought the same way until I had a kid. Now, I'll do anything to ensure his survival and preparedness in any event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read it again, that's precisely what I'm talking about. </div></div>

:facepalm: my bad. You're right, we're in the same boat.

What I don't understand is if you are so concerned about security that you have your supplies delivered at night, why do you go on national TV and let the world know what you have?

Why do I feel this show will have the same effect as Sons Of Guns on our sport?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RidgeAve. Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do I feel this show will have the same effect as Sons Of Guns on our sport?</div></div>

Honestly, I have not seen a negative impact, or any for that matter, from that show. It does, however, portray the dremel as a piece of precision gunsmithing equipment.

how is our sport anything like this crap?????????and what exactly is our sport?just askin

In the interest of potentially snatching pearls from before unappreciative swine, I will audit the first episode.

Who knows, I may learn something yet; despite myself, and more likely, despite them, too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95Hotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I don't understand is if you are so concerned about security that you have your supplies delivered at night, why do you go on national TV and let the world know what you have? </div></div>
You, my good man, are apparently smarter than anyone else who watches this show! haha

Nat Geo has some prepper stuff on youtube. One prepper lady had a shipment of food delivered at night to be secretive. She was all tickled when she was talking about Op Sec and how it's a military term, and how loose lips sink ships. She was doing this on national TV... facepalm.

Though that was hilarious, in most neighborhoods an 18 wheeler pulling up at night is going to attract more attention than during the daytime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nat Geo has some prepper stuff on youtube. One prepper lady had a shipment of food delivered at night to be secretive. She was all tickled when she was talking about Op Sec and how it's a military term, and how loose lips sink ships. She was doing this on national TV... facepalm. </div></div>

I remember hearing stories from the Middle Ages, about how every time they saw a comet, or an asteroid, that the world was expected to end.

I wonder how many years it will take for these idiots to realize that they wasted a shit load of money, and time, when they could have actually enjoyed their lives, instead of eventually wishing for disaster, destruction, and death to justify all their "preparations".

At a point I can agree with some things. Water being the first and biggest(been through a lot of hurricanes), but these idiots have made all of this to the point were people will come to their place and steal their shit in a crazed "life or death" mindset. National TV makes it an even bigger possibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: motodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is our sport anything like this crap?????????and what exactly is our sport?just askin </div></div>

It's not like our sport at all but the anti-gun crowd will say it is. And by "our sport" I meant owning firearms. I could be wrong but I can't help but feel that someone somewhere will try to say that all gun-owners are paranoid idiots like these people.

I'm in the middle of the road with this one. The economy doesn't seem to be improving. Just tonight there was local news story about a guy robbing a pizza delivery guy, just goes to show how desperate people are getting. On an international scale, Iran is becoming a bigger problem. With threats of supply route cut offs that would result in high priced oil and/or war. Oil price increases would only make things worse at home. Climate is another threat. With the increase in natural disasters in the past few years, it would be foolish to ignore it in the future. I think that if something big did happen, a lot of people would be out of luck just because they have become so dependent on going to the store and getting what they need. While I feel that something like a storm from the sun is a little out there, I don't want to dismiss the more reasonable disaster possibilities. I guess we'll just have to roll with it...

Watching one full episode, and part of the second. Thats an hour and a half of my life I wont get back.

My ultimate world coming to an end supplies ......lawn chair, binoculars, Ipod, salt shaker, lemon juice, and oh ya most importantly a bottle of tequila I got in Tijuana twenty years ago.

You mean the dremel ISN'T a piece of precision gunsmithing equipment?!?!

I watch part of the series but got tired of hearing bug out, shit hit the fan. There is a point of being a dumb ass and showing everyone.
Everyone should carry some supplies for emergency cases. But dam enough to last 22 people for 15 years. Wow
Don't think I could watch another episode.

I think a lot of these people just enjoy what they are doing and veil it under the guise of being a doomsday prepper. There are a million reasons why you should. I am not.

Lets see
Beer: Check
Chips: Check
Shades: Check (If its during the day)
Lazy Boy: drag to front yard: Check
Pissed off wife who will run off everyone off by bitching: Check
IM GOOD (didnt even need a gun)

I have seen 3 episodes. Ummm, ok. So, there is the couple that live on a flat level area in a house made of shipping containers who test its bullet stopping ability by shooting it with .22s, not to mention the 25 tons of canned food. Then you have the self-sustaining hippies that think inviting "armed marauders" to dinner and either poisoning them or slitting their throats while they sleep, is a solid defense. There is a bunch of others in between. The preparation techniques are sound but somewhat extreme.

There seems to be a trend where there really arent any well rounded preppers. Some really dont think outside the box. Example...Your preparing for massive earthquakes, yet all your food is in glass jars on less than stable shelves. You prepare for a solar flare, go the distance to build a Faraday cage for your HAM radio, but you never though to do a lap or two.

The reasons for preparation??? Well, they are all possible, but most are less likely. The preparations for severe economical collapse seems the most likely. Attacks from countries oustide of the US are possible as well. Today's political and economical climates give a lot of uncertainty with those. The solar flare, shifting of the poles, coronal mass ejection (solar flares) or any of these "2012 is the year it will happen because humans are special" events are just enteraining to watch. Although it is eerie to see a 4 year old puttin on NBC gear. Oh well, if its fun to practice bugging out and cooking 8x the normal amount daily, who am I to judge?

I dunno, I've lurked on the outside of "survivalist" since it became a term, mebby it's the Boy Scout in me.

Where am I gonna get water? Well the house I bought had a well. After a few modifications and some cussin I have a hand pump on a cut out from the electric well pump so I can water my grass when there is no power.

Where am I gonna get food? Got a freezer full that will last me a week if I eat fast. I belong to BJ's and Sam's club, every now and again Ravioli goes on sale for $8 a case, tuna for 6 for $5. There might be a little room in the barn for a case or 2 if the kids don't take it all camping.

Ammo - Guns? Check.

EMP proof vehicle? My neighbor (friend) has a 70 GMC and a 68 Jeep that he is restoring, drive trains on both work.

All in all I'm more worried about a N'or easter and a hurricane than "SHTF". I figure after 30 days of no power 70% of the population will be dead or in total vapor lock from lack of facebook, CSI, U-Tube and the "Hide"
laugh.gif
that I can raid their cabinets for canned goods because I have a P-38 and know how to use it.

He!! they should make me a star
smile.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Awcrap!

There's always something more interesting (especially to She Who Must Be Obeyed (LOL!)) on when they air it.

Guess I'm just gonna get steamrollered by the leading edge of the mass exodus. Dang me!

(Sigh...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a P38!?!?!
Lockheed_P-38_Lightning_USAF.JPG

Soooo jealous...

^_^

</div></div>

That makes two of us!

I always get a kick out of the whole Mayan end of the world prediction thing. If people that keep throwing out the Mayan calendar prediction actually read the entire inscriptions they would have read near the end that states:

Dear world we never saw our demise coming.
Signed the Mayans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That makes two of us!

I always get a kick out of the whole Mayan end of the world prediction thing.
</div></div>

Three of us...

I personally think it's just the latest excuse to sell stuff to worried people, i.e. the people who are pushing the idea the hardest are also profiting from it.

My nasty ole mind keeps tryng to figure out a way to make a buck on all this glooman'doom...

...maybe reboxing some Hornady as <span style="font-style: italic">Mayan-Max</span> or maybe <span style="font-style: italic">Apocalypto-Max</span>?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My nasty ole mind keeps tryng to figure out a way to make a buck on all this glooman'doom...

...maybe reboxing some Hornady as <span style="font-style: italic">Mayan-Max</span> or maybe <span style="font-style: italic">Apocalypto-Max</span>? </div></div>

Lol, not a bad idea. How about creating a package with all sorts of stuff these dumbasses will want. I got the doomsday ducktape. Forget this whole work until retirement thing, we could make a fortune off these dimwitted sheep and retire before Dec 21.

Flyingbullseye

I think the best thing about this show is its potential as a drinking game. Grab a case of beer and try it out!

Drink anytime someone says:
"Hits the fan"
"Bug out/in"
"Doomsday situation"

Or when you see:
Canned chicken
An Eotech
Anyone covered in Molle

If at the end of a segment they ignore the expert advice finish your beer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My nasty ole mind keeps tryng to figure out a way to make a buck on all this glooman'doom...

...maybe reboxing some Hornady as <span style="font-style: italic">Mayan-Max</span> or maybe <span style="font-style: italic">Apocalypto-Max</span>? </div></div>

LOL!

I have done very little to prepare for the break down of society. I don’t expect my friends and neighbors to turn into cannibals a week after the food runs out. I am not the least bit afraid of the end of the world, it is unlikely to happen today, and there is nothing I can do to prevent it. What I have thought about is the fact that grocery stores do not stock a lot of food. If the trucks stop running the food supply will run out in a couple of days. My home state of West Virginia was very poor up into the 1970’s. When I was a kid, everyone I new had a garden and a cellar house to store canned food in. Everyone had enough food stored to last nearly a year. So the end of the world is not the problem, something keeping trucks from rolling for 3 or 4 weeks is a problem. Am I going to do anything to prepare? I haven’t decided yet.

I have to LOL at the people in these shows, you have to wonder where they found some of these folks. Of course, some of the people found them, via youtube and such (like the fat radio guy). There are a few pearls of wisdom (like the lady who stored eggs in mineral oil, that's a neat idea), but they are hard to unearth from the mass of garbage around them.

I work in the field of Homeland Security, I can tell you that no matter how much they tout their "improved" strategy, the gov. isn't coming to save you... at least not right away. You had better be able to hold your own until help arrives, but the most important thing you can do is not put yourself in that situation in the first place. Some things are unforseen and unavoidable, some are not. I have very little sympathy for people who choose to stay behind when they have the means to leave (you do have two feet, right?). IE, situations like Katrina.

I got my first degree as a geologist, I studied Energy/resources but also geologic hazards (everything from asteroids to peak oil). There are tons of things that "could" happen but probably won't, and there is NOTHING you can do about it if they do. Anyone who has ever taken a science class in high school should be able to understand that on some level. If you live on the coast, you know that a tsunami might wash you away. If you live near a volcano, you know it may erupt. IF you have warning, you run away... if not, then you'd best be right with the man. Your only alternative is to go live somewhere else, but no place is completely safe from all hazards, and some (E.T. impact, supervolcano, etc.) might get you even from a great distance. They have happened on this rock before, they will again. The best thing you can do is understand them, to think you can alter that course is human vanity.

IMHO, you'd better have enough stuff to get you/yours through the first couple weeks of a situation without outside help. I don't think that you need enough canned corn for 60 people for 400 years. Food is not as important as water, you can restrict your intake to stretch the timeline, but you're going to need more than you think. Get some.

Like everything else in life, it's a balancing act. Past generations were raised to be self sufficient, how that changed so quickly I just can't fathom. These kids today will shrivel up and die without twitter, it is pathetic.

What happened to personal responsibility? That is the real question we should be asking. You don't have to be a bunker-dwelling weirdo to take measures to protect your lives. They are YOUR lives to save, not Uncle Sugar's.

The problem is you could spend your entire income buying stuff for something that will never happen. Or the way it happens you'll be screwed anyways. If you enjoy it do it. I enjoy shooting and reloading. So that part is easy. I have a long back ground in emergency medicine so that part is easy. You just can't be a freak about it or it will become who you are and not just something to do.

I would agree that at least one of the people per episode is totally nuts. Besides, my wife would have me taken away if I started overtly doing with some of the people are into. I can get away with buying guns and storing tons of ammo as an instructor so she dosen't think I'm totally mental. When I started buying rice in 50# bags I got some funny looks. The 200 gallons of water was also something she thinks is nuts. Whatever... It's bottled, I'll end up drinking it all at some point.

I have a few prepper friends and one thing strikes me over and over as being extremely odd despite all of the forethought that they invest into their prepping... If they have to leave their houses, all their work is down the drain as it would be impossible to move it all or even a fraction of it for that matter especially if time were an issue.