• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Doomsday preppers.

Re: Doomsday preppers.

Its all about money. Invest in fear and you will always make a killing. I know a preper and all i can say is if it rely happens I know where to get what I need. People are stupid you cant fix it and you cant kill it...

Tagged and watched the first two episodes last night. Only got halfway through the second oone (I gagged on the 'Party Girl' segement), and scragged the third tag on the new episode later on.

It's the Chicken Little Sydrome, for the umptieth time. Like armies, they are either preparing for the latest prior disaster, or are obsessed with low potential threats taken pretty much out of context, and embellished with bad sci-fi consequences (Tectonic plates sliding into new climate zones as a consequonce of a magnetic pole reversal..., etc. Really?). Reminds me of Syfy Saturday (Celia and I are rapt devotees of cheesy Syfy flicks).

One cannot impose one's own will on Mother Nature. The Cosmos daily mocks the imperatives of we mere mortals. That which humanity composes, reality disposes.

Literally, some of these folks scare me, and I wish some others of them lived closer, so I maybe could find them and their stash, on the outsde chance that maybe some of the have some small piece of the right idea, however badly interpreted. I mean, a stash is a stash, right?

Greg

I thouht the offensive gun drills were interesting. You're going to leave the security of your compound to go out, set up a skirmish line and attack the urban zombies that are trying to steal your Spam??? Bad tactics.

I don't have a problem with people having a desire to not be sheep and to not expect the government to take care of them in a bad situation. Just like anything in life, you can overdo things. I know from living in the south "hurricanes" how idiotic people can get. I have personally seen people fighting over bread and jugs of water in walmart because a hurricane is in the gulf. I have witnessed an old man get knocked out because one guy thought he cutting line to get fuel when all he was doing was getting fuel for the generator that was powering the pumps. I volunteered in New Orleans right after Katrina every weekend for about 2 months and witnessed some of the laziest of humanity just sitting on their porch waiting for "the government" to come help them.

My take on the problems we have is because of laziness, moral decay, lack of community, and lack of kindness. There will always be good and bad people in good times but in bad times it's hard to find enough good people to overcome all the bad ones.

This show is silly and takes a good idea of being prepared and makes it look stupid.

In the third episode one of the preppers shoots himself in the thumb with a .22, and claims it was a misfire or malfunction. The dumbass fainted when the EMT was wrapping his hand up. The malfunction was when he put his thumb over the muzzle of a loaded gun. Brain malfunction.

James

^ that was hilarious!

I put my hand in front of the barrel and pulled the trigger, and it malfunctioned and shot my thumb!

I didn't get to watch that one yet, but I pity the squeamish "preppers" if they think they'll be the ones alive after one of these mega-incidents they plan for. IF it happened, it would likely be a smelly, gory world... at least for a while. If dude can't handle a flesh wound, he's in major trouble. lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That makes two of us!

I always get a kick out of the whole Mayan end of the world prediction thing.
</div></div>

Three of us...

I personally think it's just the latest excuse to sell stuff to worried people, i.e. the people who are pushing the idea the hardest are also profiting from it. </div></div>

+ 1 for the mayan thing.
Mayans: "Oh shit!, here come the spanish. Hurry up and make it look like the world will end."

What really happened to the mayans... the calendar guys' intermural 'ball team won the championship game and were sacrificed to the snake god, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pimp_Skittles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a problem with people having a desire to not be sheep and to not expect the government to take care of them in a bad situation. Just like anything in life, you can overdo things. I know from living in the south "hurricanes" how idiotic people can get. I have personally seen people fighting over bread and jugs of water in walmart because a hurricane is in the gulf. I have witnessed an old man get knocked out because one guy thought he cutting line to get fuel when all he was doing was getting fuel for the generator that was powering the pumps. I volunteered in New Orleans right after Katrina every weekend for about 2 months and witnessed some of the laziest of humanity just sitting on their porch waiting for "the government" to come help them.

My take on the problems we have is because of laziness, moral decay, lack of community, and lack of kindness. There will always be good and bad people in good times but in bad times it's hard to find enough good people to overcome all the bad ones.

This show is silly and takes a good idea of being prepared and makes it look stupid. </div></div>

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! The term "sheep", as a descriptive word, has officially been run into the ground. It has as much meaning as "tactical" "OPSEC" and "MIL-SPEC". But you are somewhat correct.

The only part I disagree with is that it isn't NatGeo that makes the good idea look stupid. They just managed to find the few of the group that make it look that way, and air it on TV.

Nat Geo shares the blame 50/50 IMHO, several of the "guests" on the show have since outed them for heavily editing their segments and purposely skewing the presentation. You can read about it all over the net.

What we need is a "redjacket" type show about a shop that makes prepper stuff. Maybe we could dremel our logo in some five gallon buckets and sell them as "tactical" food storage?

Did you guys see the news regarding one of the guys on this show?

Doomsday Prepper Gets Labeled "Mentally Incompetent" by The State, Loses Gun Rights

My grandparents were doomsday preppers back in the late 50's and into the 80's until they both died of old age.
Garner Ted Armstrong was always coming on the radio trying to convince anybody who would listen that the end was near.
Nothing new.

My guess is there will still be people living like that when I die of old age.

Doesn't do it for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone see the episode where the guy who owned a construction company was building an underground luxory survival compound full of condo's out of an old missile silo that go for a million dollars each. </div></div>

Ya i saw that..... One thing to consider, he he's building that thing to make a profit.... If things get bad enough you need to inhabit that bad boy then what good is all that money gonna be?

Makes me wonder if he's truly committed to the prepping cause.... Why don't he just build it for him and his?

Aside from that though, it's a neat idea, looks like they're doing it right too. I saw an article on those pod type things that go underground that you can link up and they're build some models big enough that they can put small 2 story 'apartments' complete with astroturf yard so you feel like your at home, those things are neat.

Yeah I saw that, he was selling rooms in the silo for 1 to 2 million. Smart guy, making bank and using others to fund his own prepping.

By the way there is a new show called Doomsday Bunkers or something, supposed to be premiering this week.

We have occasional power outages around my way. With 'the system' still responsive, they seldom go more than a day or so.

We have some small accommodations like a camp stove and cat litter jugs filled with water for the toilet. Beyond that it's simply what's in the pantry normally, and (yeah, I know; seriously...?) some small stocks of 20ga and 7.62x39. The thing I'm trying hard to stay away from is anything that makes me look like a supply dump.

Looking now, I guess a couple of days' worth of drinking water needs to be added. Wal-Mart sells 5 gallon buckets and lids, a few of them might make do.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you guys see the news regarding one of the guys on this show?

Doomsday Prepper Gets Labeled "Mentally Incompetent" by The State, Loses Gun Rights </div></div>

actually from what i understand, despite popular belief, this all happened before the show aired. basically the guy was pissed because his doctor didnt give him test results in a timely manner after he apparently had a heart attack. when he went in, he made a statement like: 'the pain was so bad, i felt ending myself to stop the pain!'
and this was taken as a suicidal statement. they asked him if he felt like he was going to commit suicide, he said no, and it was against his religion.
he left, when he was leaving the nurse was calling the state troopers on him for making the statement.

he got home, cops took him to a hospital to be 'evaluated.' after being there for 2 hours and being told he wasnt free to go, he said he wanted a lawyer. he was declared mentally stable by the state. a few weeks later he went to buy a gun, was denied as being a mentally defective.

its a shame what power the govt has over deciding who has rights and who doesnt. one off hand meaningless comment to a doctor and now has to sue the state just to get back his gun rights, that he has as a natural part of his humanity. not to mention how much that court process will cost
sort of makes you mad.

hope for the best, prepare for the worse, and as always vote for who ever is going to give you free stuff...

before the so called health care law was voted in, someone said "if you think health care is expensive wait till it's free" boy they were right..I think the fed will print more if they are not already and then look out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to LOL at the people in these shows, you have to wonder where they found some of these folks. Of course, some of the people found them, via youtube and such (like the fat radio guy). There are a few pearls of wisdom (like the lady who stored eggs in mineral oil, that's a neat idea), but they are hard to unearth from the mass of garbage around them.

I work in the field of Homeland Security, I can tell you that no matter how much they tout their "improved" strategy, the gov. isn't coming to save you... at least not right away. You had better be able to hold your own until help arrives, but the most important thing you can do is not put yourself in that situation in the first place. Some things are unforseen and unavoidable, some are not. I have very little sympathy for people who choose to stay behind when they have the means to leave (you do have two feet, right?). IE, situations like Katrina.

I got my first degree as a geologist, I studied Energy/resources but also geologic hazards (everything from asteroids to peak oil). There are tons of things that "could" happen but probably won't, and there is NOTHING you can do about it if they do. Anyone who has ever taken a science class in high school should be able to understand that on some level. If you live on the coast, you know that a tsunami might wash you away. If you live near a volcano, you know it may erupt. IF you have warning, you run away... if not, then you'd best be right with the man. Your only alternative is to go live somewhere else, but no place is completely safe from all hazards, and some (E.T. impact, supervolcano, etc.) might get you even from a great distance. They have happened on this rock before, they will again. The best thing you can do is understand them, to think you can alter that course is human vanity.

IMHO, you'd better have enough stuff to get you/yours through the first couple weeks of a situation without outside help. I don't think that you need enough canned corn for 60 people for 400 years. Food is not as important as water, you can restrict your intake to stretch the timeline, but you're going to need more than you think. Get some.

Like everything else in life, it's a balancing act. Past generations were raised to be self sufficient, how that changed so quickly I just can't fathom. These kids today will shrivel up and die without twitter, it is pathetic.

What happened to personal responsibility? That is the real question we should be asking. You don't have to be a bunker-dwelling weirdo to take measures to protect your lives. They are YOUR lives to save, not Uncle Sugar's. </div></div>

Just read this thread, your post is one of the best I've read in awhile Sir!
Brovo Zulu

bcw1284,

What's your take on the venting taking place around old dormant volcano's and/or fracking sites? Around OK, AR, MO, TX the past few days...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My keychain has always had a P-38 on it, ever since 'Nam. </div></div>

^^^ prepper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few prepper friends and one thing strikes me over and over as being extremely odd despite all of the forethought that they invest into their prepping... If they have to leave their houses, all their work is down the drain as it would be impossible to move it all or even a fraction of it for that matter especially if time were an issue.</div></div>

Yeah, no kidding. That's why I invested in three tractor/trailers and had the wife and kids pick up their CDL's........the wife's handle is big prepper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What we need is a "redjacket" type show about a shop that makes prepper stuff. Maybe we could dremel our logo in some five gallon buckets and sell them as "tactical" food storage? </div></div>

My God! Discovery channel just started this. You don't work for a network I hope.
eek.gif