• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dope Board / White Board

Hoser

Ninja
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2005
East Africa
At the Steel Safari in Logan NM a few weeks ago a fellow shooter handed me a replacement dope board/white board/range card thingie.

I have been using a white board for a few years to write down target locations and distances. For me it is easier than a wrist band.

Member Tim K makes these on a CNC machine and uses magnets to hold the clear top on the white bottom.

I tape a dope card on the bottom and have a pie wedge shooting area with a 500 yard line on the bottom part. I mainly use my data card hanging off the side of my rifle, but having a back-up right where the target ranges and locations are is nice.

The clear top piece is where is write down ranges and other info I might need to complete a stage.

It weighs about 10-12 ounces and fits perfectly in a cargo pocket or outer pouch on most packs. My old ones were too big and didn’t weigh much at all. Often a breeze of more than 10-15 MPH and it would take-off.

Ray from Thunderbeast was running around telling everyone how cool they were. I think Tim gave away the dozen or so he bought in a matter of minutes...

Very impressed. A better mousetrap for sure.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-d-i-y/256363-dope-boards-competition.html

Last edited:
I got to check these out at the Steel Safari a few weeks ago and was jealous, put my wristband to to shame. Really would have been to useful on the bigger stages, when I kept forgeting which targets were at which distances :(

Another great invention from TimK, I'll be sporting one of these soon!

I've used something like this for years for different purposes. Why I never made the smaller version and used it for shooting just proves that Tim K is a craftier individual than I.

I've been using one of the prototype versions for a while now too. Some may have seen me with it at the sniper's hide cup this year. Its a straight forward and simple solution for complex stages. Or in the case of shc. I used my pre shoot time to map out all 4 stages on the board to take away some of that clock pressure.

Works great with dry erase or wet erase, markers or a grease pencil. I use the wet erase when its dry out and a grease pencil if there's precipitation involved that day.

Works well, simple, and doesn't go anywhere in the wind.

I RO'd Hoser and really like the board he was using. Later in the match I RO's Tim. I mentioned how much I liked his board and asked where he got it. He said he made it and handed me his. I like it way better than the armband game. Heavy enough for the wind not to blow it around. Perfect for long range matches.

The first of two short videos showing the CNC doing it's thing. It's drilling the holes here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l5dmi6aU2yM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here, it's cutting them out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aMFZvRo3Fjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the first picture of this thread, there is a drawing of a V shape. Where can I learn about why this is useful?

Other than being a useful letter for spelling words like Vjayjay Punisher, the V was drawn on the board to show the right and left limits of a stage -from the shooters perspective.
At the Steel Safari a shooter arrives at a stage and is shown one (or two) shooting positions and a right and left limit marker- those lines from a V. The clock starts and you have five minutes to locate, range and engage six targets with one round each.

I got one of these and used it at a match last week end. I am new at this game but man this tool really helps me get my game on.
I placed third and I have alot of shooting left to do.
This is useful as my range marker and dope collector, it is easy to take simple notes in the heat of the set and use it to regroup for the next set.
I wrote on the bottom layer of mine (visible through the top layer), it said "Trust the DOPE and correct for the wind"
This is my little mantra before I shoot....

Reactions: D-SIL
Ordered one a week ago and great folks to deal with. Quick response and fast shipping. Great product!

Must have been off the grid when this post came up...

Great idea!

Mine board just came in, these are serious magnets, and even hold through card stock paper. They are a good size to hold data book page info, including our free download sheets.

retcard_zps9d3d6fbc.jpg

I finally got to shoot a match with one of these dope boards. I used it at a sporting rifle match in NM. I guess I saw 10 or so guys using one while I was there.

Here's a photo of it from the match:
dope_card.jpg

Breakdown:
• My dope card is on the left hand side of the board. It's under the top piece of clear acrylic.
• The match course is on the upper right, annotating the target array and ranges.
• Given that we had known target distances, when I rolled up to the stage (in the picture, it's doped for Stage 1), I immediately figured out my elevation and wind for each target from my card and wrote it down on top of the clear acrylic with a dry erase pen.
• It took less than a minute to set up for each stage.
• I set the board up next to me as I was shooting each stage. A quick glance at the board gave me a heads-up display for each target; including relative position, distance, elevation, and wind.
• It was easy after that. Shoot, glance, dope, repeat.

Here's a look at how it could be used for not-previously known targets:
dope_v.jpg

Breakdown:
• Dope card is at the top of the board, under the clear acrylic.
• The targeting "V" and ranging yardage are drawn on the white acrylic with a grease pen.
• Once a target is identified and ranged, quickly mark it with a dry erase pen on the clear acrylic with the target array.
• Jot down the elevation and wind from the dope card.
• Repeat for each target.
• Set the board up at your shooting position, and use it to quickly have the relative position, distance, elevation, and wind of each target.

Honestly, I am impressed at just how handy this thing is. I'll keep using it for sure.

I have used the board at 2 matches. It's the the bomb. Not an issue in the wind. Stays put on your stage. I had already taken my dope card off, but I use the hole to teather my dope card. Used to put my dope card a around my scope. It fits in your cargo pocket so its very accessible. At the sporting rifle match I just wrote out my drop and windage for each stage. This is a must for any comp. I suggest you get one ASAP

Dino20140810_132059.jpg