• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Double barrel shotgun brands - your recommendations or warnings...

gro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2013
Oregon
Hey everyone, I have got a hankering for a double barreled shotgun. It would just be used at the range or in the woods. I am looking for any experience (recommendations or warnings) you have. Price would be under $1500ish.

I have tried looking at the cowboy action forum, but it's a jumbled mess.

What I have gleaned is a Stoeger is an ok entry rifle, but those that use it a lot say you tend to have to just throw it away after 4 or 5 years due to various parts breakage.

Cz whitetail is ok, but sometimes Turkish made guns have some issues...

Any experiences you have had would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Reactions: MarkCO
Stoegers are hit or miss in my experience. I've never been super wowed by one, they can be a weird mix of tight and loose. Best one I used was tight at the hinge and lockup, but sloppy sloppy ejectors with a just ok trigger. Probably fine for a range toy if that's all you want.

I bought a used browning citori over under after swinging it side by side with a berretta. Best thing you can do, is try a bunch. One will just feel right, which is why I have a browning. $1500 is about the lowest I would budget for an over under- and I'd look at the used market.

It occurs to me you probably mean side by side shotguns- I don't think I've ever handled a nice side by side. I'd look for a local cowboy action match and see what they're using.

Reactions: gnochi

This is my double barrel. Old Rossie 12 ga Coach gun. Sits by the bed. With #4 buckshot it s absolutely frightening at relatively close range.

VooDoo

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadAss
Hey everyone, I have got a hankering for a double barreled shotgun. It would just be used at the range or in the woods. I am looking for any experience (recommendations or warnings) you have. Price would be under $1500ish.

What I have gleaned is a Stoeger is an ok entry rifle, but those that use it a lot say you tend to have to just throw it away after 4 or 5 years due to various parts breakage.

Thanks,
Greg
Turkish shotguns can be the best or worst you'll ever own. For $1500 you have a lot of play in what you can get, but like was stated earlier you won't know what you like until you have some (any) experience with them first-hand. Choosing between O/U v SxS or single v double trigger is a lot like Glock17 v FN 509, all comes down to personal taste in the end.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Greg
I assume we are talking over/under and not side by side as there is a reason why the industry and shooters transitioned from one to the other.

My number one recommendation is a Beretta 68x....any 68x. They are the Timex watches of shotguns. It will last you a life time. Now, prices on Beretta have climbed quite a bit, but find a nice used one (well, maybe not now in COVID/Biden panic but usually you can find a good deal on one used) with either 28" or...I favor...30" barrels and screw chokes. Wonderful gun.

I bought a used 682 Gold, two barrel set (12 and 20) for $2,400 but this was before all of this stupid shit hit with COVID and the Biden. This gun is at least 20 years old and it works just like when it was new.

A Browning Citori is also a very solid gun...not, IMO, as solid as a Beretta and it sits higher in the hand. I personally prefer Beretta but there are millions of satisfied Browning owners.

Lastly, look at Cesar Guerini. Very nice guns, very popular with the sporting clays crowd, very pointable (as is the Berettas IMO). Look for one of these used also as shotgun prices have gone astronomical.

IMO, do not buy a cheap OU shotgun as you will get exactly what you paid for....which ain't much.

Thanks,
Greg

You need to ignore both everything you think you know and everything you read here except whatever advice you get from @Baron23

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23 and gnochi
A cheap double barrel is a crap shoot for whether the barrels point the same direction (“barrel regulation”) - it is extremely expensive to rework the barrels individually. Frankly, if you can’t afford a 68x - which has a spec of the barrel pattern centers being within about 8 inches at 40yd - you shouldn’t be looking at double barrels.

The main cost drivers for double barrels are:
  • Safe lightweight trigger
  • Both barrel triggers at the same weight
  • Barrel regulation
  • Fit & finish
You might get lucky with a CZ or another relabeled Turkish gun - I’ve seen a few good ones - but if you aren’t lucky you’re SOL.

My recommendation would be to treat it as a forever purchase, save up $3500 or so, and get one of Joel Etchen’s 687s with the upgraded wood. You’ll be much happier and it’ll be much prettier.

I've had my browning citori XS for 18 years and won't give it up. It's been excellent and still locks up tight. Had a Baikal O/U previously with a weird straight stock design, kicked so GD hard for what it was. Was glad to see that one go down the road.

Stoegers are garbage....i had one i used for duck hunting.....thing literally fell apart....they are all universally fucking heavy, and have shit ergos.......like, they are literally pipes bolted to 2x4s

the CZ line seem to be decent.....especially for the cost...im running a Bob White G2 right now, and it seems to be a decent little work horse.

between O/U or SxS......i like SxS.....honestly thats just me being a nostalgic old man....the forends are also usually thinner on SxS

but if you look at anyone that shoots competitively, they are all shooting O/U

Reactions: Baron23
I've had my browning citori XS for 18 years and won't give it up. It's been excellent and still locks up tight. Had a Baikal O/U previously with a weird straight stock design, kicked so GD hard for what it was. Was glad to see that one go down the road.
Yeah, my friend....I didn't mean to sound like I was diss Browning's. I have shoot tournament skeet with a number of AAA class across the board shooters who owned Browning's and obviously shot them very well...better than I ever shot. LOL

I'm glad yours is serving your well :)

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I would eventually get both an O/U and SxS. The O/U definitely seems more versatile and functional, and worth saving up for in order to assure quality and have a beautiful gun to eventually hand down to one of my kids.

It seems like the SxS are a little more of a niche gun and more of a crap shoot, but they just look fun. I guess I am trying to find a good enough SxS for a fun gun that won't become that hated gun that always falls apart or the problem child that always needs repairs. Just trying to figure out at what brand or price I will hit a diminished return of longevity and durability.

Hmmmm, for SXS probably the CZ G2 Bobwhite. Again, no idea which way the barrels are pointed and apparently the triggers suck but it’s light and fun. Spend a bit more for a Dickinson, a lot more for a 486 Parallelo, or a small fortune for a nice English something or other.

Most of the old American SXS have unfortunately crack-prone stocks and don’t handle modern loads gracefully.

When I was younger (14-16) I wanted to get into skeet shooting and 5-stand and all that stuff. And my dad bought me a beautiful engraved [Russian] Baikal IZH-27 with 28" tubes. It's an amazing shotgun. I still have it. They weren't really expensive back then (20+ years ago), but it has been a damn-fine shotgun. I don't shoot shotguns much anymore. I don't even turkey hunt anymore, but I still have my old Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 24" magna-port. It still kicks like a mule with 3.5" Winchester AA #4's.

Back in 2006 I ordered a Beretta Extrema2 when they first hit the scene... 28" Max4HD camo, Kick-off system. The works. The most badass shotgun I've ever owned. Then some jackoff stole it in 2008, when they broke into my shop over a weekend, when I was out of town. 😡 I never replaced it, but I would love to get another one (or its modern equivalent) someday.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, for SXS probably the CZ G2 Bobwhite. Again, no idea which way the barrels are pointed and apparently the triggers suck but it’s light and fun. Spend a bit more for a Dickinson, a lot more for a 486 Parallelo, or a small fortune for a nice English something or other.

Most of the old American SXS have unfortunately crack-prone stocks and don’t handle modern loads gracefully.
Winchester Model 24 runs fine with modern loads.

Check into a used Ithaca/SKB 200 or 280 series for a SxS. Mines a 200 series from the 70's. Great to carry (lightweight) and comes up much better for me than the CZ's.

Reactions: BPGuru
Like stated earlier, Beretta has been making shotguns for a minute or so. You'll never wear it out, neither will your kids. I've transitioned to SxS double trigger field guns, I'll never give up my Berettas though. The Rabbit hole can get REAL deep real quick with shotguns.
Ck Connecticut shotguns or William Larkin and Moore for an idea how deep.or, like previously mentioned, look for a nice used 68 whatever Beretta. They all have the same mechanicals, just different embellishments.

Reactions: 308pirate
First off, I'm not “Mr Shotgun” so take my advice with that in mind. I do not shoot shotguns much anymore, and even when I was more into upland game, I was very casual.

But I have a thing for quality.

As a much younger man (high school), I owned a 20ga Browning Super Imposed Citori (that’s what my told told me…probably called a Superposed?). Fantastic gun. I still miss it. My dad sold it as he said it couldn’t shoot steel shot (I hope he was right).

He bought me a new 20ga Weatherby Orion o/u (1980s), and I still have it. Those two shotguns are the only ones I have owned.

When I handled both, before Dad sold the Citori, I remember slightly preferring the Citori.

I don’t know about modern Orions, but the one I own seems awfully solid.

My Dad is in his eighties and is still a good shot with clays. He likes Benelli semi-autos, Ethos? Series. Frankly, I cannot stand them!

But when I compare my Orion to his constantly revolving squad of various $3000+ shotguns (some o/u), the feel and lockup of the Orion hasn’t left me wanting in any way. Reliability-wise I’ll let the more experienced people weigh in.

When buying a shotgun, I think it’s absolutely imperative to be able to touch them and bring them to bear, even more so than a rifle.

I can vouch for Citori, and older Weatherby Orions, but take my advice with a pinch of salt.

edit: crap, my old Citori was a Belgian gun. Damn. But it could not take steel shot, so it’s dead to me lol.

Last edited:
IDK. If you said you wanted to get into skeet or trap, I'd say go with a Browning Citori or a Beretta Silver Pigeon. Great guns that will last a life time, but will cost you around $2,000. It's money well spent because guys shooting these disciplines may put 10,000 rounds through their gun a year, so they need something that can hold up to 100,000 plus rounds.

If you're just planning on taking it to the range/woods once or twice a month and shooting 25 rounds, you can probably save a bunch of money on something that's less high end.

@gro You've actually picked the best time in the last two decades to buy a quality SXS. Forget the Turkish guns. You can buy a nice Fox Sterlingworth, L.C. Smith Field Grade and even decent V Grade or Trojan Parkers in your price range. They will be 12ga. non-ejector guns to fit comfortably into your range.

From your profile you apparently live in OR. I PM'd you.

Browning Superposed. John Brownings last designed shotgun. He refereed to it as the last gun the government would take from you.

LC Smith field grade guns are fun - I have one - but are extremely prone to stock cracking at the locks (and if you don’t catch it, like I did, you’re likely to get a lock to the face). Even before ammogeddon it was not trivial to find shotgun loads that were appropriately light and slow.

None of the old shotguns are steel safe, so if waterfowl is something you’re interested in for this gun you’ll be spending bismuth money on shells. Also, most of the decent ones can’t be converted to swappable chokes.

About 4/5 years ago, I bought a Cimarron 12g Coach for about $350. I'm not sure what the price is on those anymore, but I never had an issue with it. Most companies were the triggers being too sharp and sometimes cutting you. I didn't have any problems and it was fixed with a file. It did take some use for it to just fall open without applying any work. I loved it and would definitely own another one. Great for going out and messing around.

@Quarter Horse
You got to be kidding recommending a very old, far out of production, fixed choke (usually full and fuller to compensate for the crappy old ammo), splinter fore end, comb so low it never met a cheek bone, SxS to a guy looking for his FIRST DB shotgun….that he would like to be reliable and maintainable for clays and occasional bird hunting….with modern ammo.

I’ve been shooting shotguns for a very long time and these guns are great for people who have a lot of shotguns and just like to shoot the old stuff….and don’t mind paying high prices to specialized smiths to maintain them…or collectors. I have good friends in both categories.

That has to be the very worst recommendation I can think of and my only thought is that it reflects your tastes, desires, and use case w what appears to be little consideration of the OPs needs and wants.

That’s like telling a guy looking for his first affordable long range target gun that he should buy an original Win 1894.

I know I’m being a bit sharp here and should probably apologize, but I’m utterly gobsmacked by how deaf to the OP were those recommendations.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkCO and gnochi
Had a Winchester #21 single selective in euro grade and 101 also in euro grade.

Loved them both. Hard times came and had to feed the family.
I didn't loose a penny on them so it was a wash after 10 years of use.

Whatever you buy get a single trigger you will not be sorry about that.

Used with ugly wood can be restored / restocked if necessary.
The 3 b's are a good recomendation.

To start out with on a reasonable budget I would stay away from SxS. I have a ~1912 6lb. AH Fox AE 16ga with 30" Krupp barrels that is my most prized possession. I just love that little gun. It is NOT a versatile, inexpensive do-all gun. For upland birds it is amazing and just a dream. The 16ga is great for upland hunting. I have several old Fox 12ga and they are a great old guns but not anywhere near as versatile as the modern O/U.

For versatility I would look at a Beretta or Browning O/U, whichever fits best as has been recommended. I prefer the Beretta and all things equal with fit, take the Beretta. A 686 is hard to beat. Some of the Turkish O/U are ok if you get a decent one. I have a Stevens ejector 20ga I recently picked up for my son to use until he is ready for a 12ga then it will be down the road and a Beretta 686 will take it's place. It is better than most of those I have seen/handled. Unless you are looking for a cowboy action SxS to throw in a cart and use that way, stay away from budget SxS.

Reactions: Baron23

Thanks,
Greg
I am partial to SKBs. I consider them on par with Brownings. A 28ga 26" is pictured beside "SWEET" in the dictionary. :) :) :) What a nice little bird gun. Formerly made in Japan by Sakaba (dropped the "a" to get SKB) family, the armorers to the Emperor since 1855. Been collecting, acquiring, shooting them since early 70s when I had FFL (buying retail sucks).......70+ SxS/O/Us in the safes now.....still buying. Made guns as Ithaca and Weatherby for years. No longer made in Japan. American group in Omaha bought rights and name. Imported them from Japan until the factory closed. Now newer models are Turkish made Only have experience with 690 28ga O/U of that. ...pleased. Never, NEVER, have had a problem with them, and I've shot an untold amount of trap/skeet/upland/pheasants/quail/chuckar/grouse/rabbits/squirrels with them. There are several models of SxS in blued, case colored, and nickel coined receivers......100, 150, 200, 200E, 280, 385, 485. I collect only the non-blued models. Earlier models had fixed choke barrels, later have screw-in chokes. Go on the SKBshotguns.com web site to see earlier catalogs to see models and years made. I've paid $500-$4000+ depending upon model, condition, multi-gauge sets.....how much I wanted it....:) :) :) SxS are a little higher than the O/U as they are always more expensive to make. Be patient, you can find great deals.......I know that's relative. Good decision to go SxS. Classic!! And, Sleazy/Senile Joe approved for firing two blasts from your balcony over your neighborhood...... Also, try the O/Us. Also, great handling. CAUTION: Addictive.....you have been warned. Good luck.

Reactions: remaction
It really depends on your budget. I used to go to the Grand American every year. If you want high end you go with Perazzi, Purdey, Holland and Holland, Wesley Richards or the like, but as some have suggested you could pay as much for one of these as an expensive sports car.
If you want something nice that will still be “reasonable” tongue in cheek, you could look to Merkel, Krieghoff, or one of the 3 B‘s as others have suggested. I would suggest staying with something in that 3B category. You really do get what you pay for, and they do go up in value. Be aware that even one of the 3B’s O/U without any fancy detailing will be in the $2500 ballpark. Merkel and Krieghoffs can cost 5-10 times that depending on details. Shotguns can get way into intricate expensive details: wood grades, engraving levels, gold inlays, etc just like some double barrel rifles. As others have mentioned when you get deep into the shotgun world the club gets very exclusive and very wealthy.

Stoegers are garbage....i had one i used for duck hunting.....thing literally fell apart....they are all universally fucking heavy, and have shit ergos.......like, they are literally pipes bolted to 2x4s

the CZ line seem to be decent.....especially for the cost...im running a Bob White G2 right now, and it seems to be a decent little work horse.

between O/U or SxS......i like SxS.....honestly thats just me being a nostalgic old man....the forends are also usually thinner on SxS

but if you look at anyone that shoots competitively, they are all shooting O/U
😂, Pipe bolted to 2x4, LOL,
That straight gets the point across !

Guys - OP wants a "good enough" "SxS" "fun gun" and the last post mentions Purdey, Holland and Holland, Perazzi and Krieghoff. :rolleyes:

Sure if you are a VERY serious trap shooter and have a big disposable income a Krieghoff K80 is an excellent choice ... for $13,000. Want nicer wood or a extra engraving? Now you're talking $20-30,000.

How about a nice Perazzi? High Techs are well made guns and seem to be popular among very wealthy, very serious trap shooters. They start at $16,000. I shoot pretty regularly at three different trap clubs. In two years I've only seen one Perazzi on the line - and that's owned by a guy who has either been the state champ or runner up in his age group the last couple of years.

Oh, and both of these are O/U and will generally be set up specifically for trap or skeet.

Even a "budget" gun from Browning or Beretta is going to be $2,500 (and will also be an O/U) and not what the OP is looking for.

So yeah, if the guy really want to get into trap a Browning, Beretta, CG, etc. are great recommendations. Hell, I shoot a 30 year old Ljutic, which I dearly love. But it's a single barrel dedicated trap gun and a used one will cost you between $2500-5000 depending on its age and condition.

An old side by side with two triggers will give you the ability to load #6 in the right barrel and #5 in the left barrel for pheasant or buckshot in one barrel and a slug in the other for deer. Having two triggers, you can instantly select what to shoot without worrying about a barrel selector switch. Hundred year old American doubles are still around and working just fine. And they hold their value. Regards, David

I push most of my HS shooters to Semi-Autos. You get a lot more gun for the money. Just got my son a Beretta A400 Cole Pro as his gift for graduating BCT. He will be the #1 shooter on the HS Trap team his senior year and plans to shoot the clay sports in college as well. I have a team state Champ and 2 individual state champions the last 2 seasons on my team. I kind of know what I am doing with shotguns. :)

Budget double shotguns are a rough road for sure. Lots of options with some good and bad experiences on the same brands. Have a kid who shoots an SKB (State Champ) off to College on a shooting scholarship...but I have seen several with galling at the hinge. IF I were going to spend under $2K on a double, I'd spend a lot of time looking for a good deal on a used Browning or Berretta. New, the only two I'd look at are the CZs and the Weatherby's. Those two have a good track record and, with the rare problems, they have made them right.

I didn’t see a gauge spec’d in the OP’s posts, so given my enjoyment of an older Japan-made Weatherby Orion o/u (OEM = SKB), here’s a used SxS SKB Ithaca for $1200:

As I said prev, I’m no shotgun expert, but SKBs seem well regarded and perhaps undervalued.

Reminds me of the Ford pickup versus the Chevy pickup argument...
I'd look at the "Vintage" side by sides from the 50's through the 60's.... Those old owners are dying off and their kids are selling them to the LGS, Auction Houses or the Pawn Shops... Those have not been shot over the past 30 years and were just collecting dust in the closet..... Those doubles have out lived the first owner and will out live you as well.
JMHO

Reactions: 300zx_tt
I also recommend a Ruger Red Label. Im one of the guys who is not affraid to sell a gun if it isnt exactly what I want, and Ive never concidered selling mine.

Last edited:
I would look on the used racks for a Ruger Red Label or two, that might fill your need for over and unders.
Read Ruger had a quality designer for their O/Us but the issue is when they break you are going to need custom parts made. I inherited one and did some research on them a few years ago. It is a fine shooter though.

Good SXS, consider an AYA No2 (Spanish) unsure if they are available in the US or an No4, usually a bit cheaper.
I have both Beretta (687 SPIII) and Browning (725 Sporter), both U/O's BUT both are too nice to drag thru the scrub chasing Quail and Pheasant so I have a turkish 20ga for that. not a bad gun for what it cost