• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DPMS 308 question

Razrbak428

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2008
Ga.
Found a good deal on a DPMS 308 with the heavy 24" stainless barrel. Thinking about getting it and shortening the barrel to 18 or 20" and putting a new floating tube on it so it won't be so heavy and I could maybe take it hunting occasionally. My question is how about much would this cost and where should I send it? I am in Ga. Thanks for the help!

Re: DPMS 308 question

According to my talks with DPMS, the barrel length means something to the rifles operation. When I asked them why I couldn't get a 24" 300 SAUM, they said it would not function properly. If you want to hunt with a 308, get the 308 TAC 16" upper.
It is very handy and mine will shoot MOA with several factory and handloads.
With a 1.2-4 Trijicon and a good trigger, it is a handy effective rifle.

DSCN2714.jpg

A recontour might be what you need to shed some weight. Take it from .920 to say .850 and cut it to the length you want.

I would be glad to do the work. PM sent.

Thanks for the help, may keep looking for one with a shorter barrel because this deal may not happen. Would have bought one last year if I knew how hard it was going to be to find one. Realy don't want to pay gunbroker prices!