• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS SASS - Do you like it?

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
Looking into getting a .308 semi-auto, my first in 308. Considering the DPMS SASS, for $1966. Looking for opinions on reliability and accuracy from the 18inch , 1 in10 barrel. It would be a general purpose rifle, to hit some long range steel to 800 or so, maybe some coyote. Backup deer rifle.

Probably wouldnt be able to run my reloads with 45 Varget under a 175smk would I? What about FGMM in 168 or 175?

For those that may not like the SASS, what would you prefer? AR10?

Re: DPMS SASS - Do you like it?

I like my 18 inch barrel on my DPMS. I'm getting sub-moa but my bolt guns are better. Were it me I certainly would not buy a complete rifle from DPMS though. If you want a DPMS build it yourself. QC at DPMS has always been an issue and the only way I know to ensure your DPMS is correct is to build it yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking into getting a .308 semi-auto, my first in 308. Considering the DPMS SASS, for $1966. Looking for opinions on reliability and accuracy from the 18inch , 1 in10 barrel. It would be a general purpose rifle, to hit some long range steel to 800 or so, maybe some coyote. Backup deer rifle.

Probably wouldnt be able to run my reloads with 45 Varget under a 175smk would I? What about FGMM in 168 or 175?

For those that may not like the SASS, what would you prefer? AR10? </div></div>

You will not have any problems with the FGMM. Don't know about your handload as I have not tried to put anything like that recipe through my SASS barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my 18 inch barrel on my DPMS. I'm getting sub-moa but my bolt guns are better. Were it me I certainly would not buy a complete rifle from DPMS though. If you want a DPMS build it yourself. QC at DPMS has always been an issue and the only way I know to ensure your DPMS is correct is to build it yourself. </div></div>
Its sad but some rifles have come out looking like a butcher put them together. I have a DPMS LR-308 fluted 18 inch barrel that shoot half MOA all day long. I have never had a single issue with mine.

Mine shot well it was consistant sub moa. Sometimes it would shoot amazing. Once in a while not so much, but consistantly under one moa. I didn't have any issues with it. It didn't shoot as well as my bolt guns. I ended up selling it. I miss it but if I had an extra $2,000 to spend on a rifle, I think I would get another bolt rifle. They fit my shooting a little better.

If you are going to shoot "hotter" loads try the Tubb CWS. I installed that and changed the springs to the flatwire springs. I noticed the rifle was much easier on my brass and I didn't have any signs of pressure in loads that previously had started to exhibit some.

I found it shot accurate with the 168SMK and 175SMK but was not impressed with the velocity I was getting (2450-2500)fps. Those were not hot loads however. My last batch of ammo was 155SMK's using IMR4895, in an effort to increase the velocity. I had been using RL15 for most of my load development.

I have the SASS, in 18 inch configuration. I have taken it to 600 meters with good results on steel with 175gr black hills. I will say I have been looking at the LMT and the KAC lately though. I thing the versatility of the the LMT and the quick change barrels is something that I would want if I had waited to get mine. I think the 16 inch barrel would be a little closer to what I wanted in a .308 Semi auto.
I have some house repairs to do first, but I believe I will be making a Rifle change in the next few months.

I had one a couple years ago.

I loved it. Accuracy was excellent with FGMM, recoil was nil. However, it didnt eat anything and everything, even some Win. brass 147gr FMJ's. It was FGMM all the way, or nothing, so I sold it. Which I now regret.....

Would I buy one again, knowing what I know; yes.

I have a SASS with a Noveske barrel on it and it shoots wonderfully. It's not an authentic SASS as I have changed a few parts, but essentially the same thing. For a starter .308 semi I think it will do great for you.

I had a DPMS SASS and I liked it very much. It has always made me wonder when people say they have seen terrible ones because mine was put together very well. Fit and finish were excellent and it shot very well. Maybe I just got lucky. Sold it only because I was using my bolts more often and almost immediately regretted it. I wish I just would have rebarreled it in 6.5.

CLICK HERE While that isn't a thread about the DPMS SASS is does speak volumes about the current state of quality control over at DPMS.

Not too long ago I had the occasion to speak to a well respected gunsmith here on the hide. I was in the market for an AR-10 and he asked me whether I wanted it based on a DPMS platform. I asked him what his experience was with DPMS and long story short, I ended up going with an Armalite upper/lower.

Seems that DPMS is either outsourcing some of their work or they've hired a bunch of amateurs. Who knows though, you might get lucky.

So some research and read around before you commit. Good luck.

Thanks for the good words everyone, think I will look a little harder at Armalite first before pulling the trigger so to speak.

I have a 18" SASS upper on a A2 stocked DPMS lower. None of it was put together by DPMS though. I am shooting sub moa with a cheap scope, and 165gr Game kings over 41.5gr 4895. I was going to work a load up, but when it shot good I stopped there. Until I get a better suited optic, and a longer range it is fine.

20 rounds of 175gr FGMM averaged 2466.9 fps out of mine.

And 20 round Pmags functioned flawlessly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did the 175fgm shoot? </div></div>

I need to shoot more of it to tell to be honest. The 20 I chrono'd are the only 20 I have put down range. I didn't even order the stuff. I ordered a case of surplus ball for a new M1A, and they sent me the 175gr FGMM! It was High 20's out when I shot them so I need to try them again when it warms up. So they shoot better than me right now.

It doesnt matter what handloads I feed mine 175,168's It will shoot all of em under MOA and most in the 1/2MOA range easily.
It's not great to tote around all day (Like a fence post) but the ones Ive seen are shooters....Mine included. Not so long ago I had both the Armilite SASS and the DPMS SASS and my DPMS would consistantly outshoot the Armilite with my loads so I let someone talk me outta the Armilite. I dont really miss it...

Doug

+1 on the P-Mags, Factory mags are junk!

I even got lucky on the factory mags. I have 2 factory that have never had an issue. Pmags with 20 rd capacity for $18 is worth me not loading mags at the range,

Looks like the high points have been hit, I would add,

SASS-260308sm.jpg

.308 SASS on top, .260 Custom on bottom

Quality Control – I have owned 5 DPMS Autoloaders in .260 and .308 and the quality on them for the most part has been very good, but I did have to send 1 back because the chamber was way too tight and the barrel on the other one was a complete piece of junk. I think things went south with the “buying frenzy” which hit right before Obama took office. That was also about the time that Cerberus stepped in and Randy Luth stepped down. I am pretty sure it became about quantity, and not quality! While you may get a “lemon”, I have found that DPMS will eventually fix whatever problem you have under warranty, though it may take a while for it to happen. I wouldn’t right off DPMS because of quality, just make sure whatever you get is 100% what it should be, if not make DPMS fix it for you.

Function – my rifles have run 100% for the most part. Being an autoloader, they are picky about what you feed them, not so much what the bullet weight is, but more so brass specs and the powder charges. If I FLS and Trim my brass every time, I don’t have any problems, if I don’t then I will occasional have a FTF or FTE problem. My biggest complaint about the DPMS rifles is that they don’t have an adjustable gas block. This means you have to tailor your performance based on how hot your powder load is. I have tried to push mine, but when you chase velocity, you end up beating the crap out of the brass, and reliable function can go south. I am currently looking at getting an adjustable gas block installed on my SASS, so I can better control things. As pointed out above, you can also try to manage this by changing out the buffer and springs. Mags can be hit & miss as pointed out above. With a little work tweaking the feed lips, my factory mags are all running 100% now.

Accuracy – I will typically see around 1 MOA. On a god day I might get it down to 0.50 MOA, and a bad day it might go to 1.5 MOA. I have shot everything from a 155 up to a 178 with no problem as long as the load was tailored to the rifle. FGM 168 and 175 work very well, but obviously will not match the accuracy of a handload. You have to remember with an autoloader that heat will have a big impact on your shooting. It is easy to just keep pulling the trigger and sending rounds, but the heat that you are building up quickly will impact the accuracy in many ways.

Pricing – check around, especially on the Internet, no reason you should have to pay MSRP for one.

If I had the money or my life depended on it, I would look at a custom build by GAP, but for the difference in price and for a “casual” shooter I wouldn’t hesitate to go with DPMS.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

I have been shooting SMK 175 in the SASS, but recently down shifted to the SMK 168 looking for more velocity and more reloads in the brass. Loading the SMK 168 with 43.4 of IMR 4064 with sub-moa accuracy.

My bolt is obvioulsy much more effective to reach out, 10 inches of extra barrel length does that for you.

I've had my opinion exchanges with DPMS, after paying them to fix a manufacturing defect I'm still very happy with the rifle. Bottom line, you need to disassemble and inspect any high production rifle that does not come from a custom gun smith who actually cares about his/her reputation.