• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

"Drill bite" style case trimmers

7mmVertigo

Private
Minuteman
Hey everyone I'm considering picking up one the drill bit style case trimmers to speed up my brass prep operation. The three I'm considering are the following:

Trimit at Trim It Home
Cts case trimmer at CTS Case Trimmer
"Worlds finest trimmer" at World's Finest Trimmer at Little Crow Gun Works

If anyone has insight on any of these id sure appreciate to aid in my decision. I'm leaning toward the worlds finest trimmer but if anyone has info on say the cts I'd like to save a few bucks to put towards other needs. Thank for any insight you provide but I'm really looking for hands experience not opinions because I've seen all the videos and read the literature and have my own opinions so I'm looking forward to first hand input. As always safe shooting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IMO my all time favorite setup for trimming is the Lee case cutter with their caliber specific gage. Then chuck the cutter in a drill press and leave it running. Put each piece of brass into the shell holder and let it trim. Very accurate and pretty quick. Plus only $5-6 to by the case gage and shell holder for each additional caliber. I still have a lathe style trimmer for when I need to trim brass to a length that isn't standard, but I use the Lee setup 95% of the time. At the price of the others, you can buy the Lee cutter, get setup for a quite a few calibers, and still be well under the cost of most of the others.

I use the LE wilson case trimmer and a cheap cordless powered screw driver. I found that drill had more power than necessary and the screwdriver was good for about 250 rounds. Black and decker at walmart - $20. Also, it pivots so it makes it easier to hold for long periods

I use the lee with the case holder in the drill. In about 7-8 seconds i can trim, deburr in and out, and clean outside of nk with 0000 steel wool. That 7-8 seconds includes inserting and removing case from holder. The lee cutter and case pilot can be bought for 8.00 per caliber not any cheaper or much faster method in my mind that does all those steps.

All I have never used is the Lee case trimmer and an electric drill. A wonderful invention!

Last edited:
I use WFTs in 308 and 223. I like them but if I had it to do over I would buy something that has mic adjustments and interchangeable inserts instead of having to buy a complete trimmer for each caliber.

Short of a Giraud, I too like the Lee.
Additionally the old Possum Hollow (now sold by Hornady I believe) is good too.

Of those choices the Trim it seems like the best option with the easiest adjustability.
If your looking at the drill chuck style trimmers.

The CTS enginerring power trimmer looks nice, but it is ceratinly a Giraud knock off and i'd rather support Doug with my money.

I currently only own a LE Wilson witch is very accurate but slow, and now i use two Girauds they are the best trimmers ever made.
As long as i have electricity the LE Wilson only collects dust.

Have tried the WFT's in soem calibers but i prefer what i got now by a large margin.

Last edited:
Tried most of them. The Lee lock stud is easy but takes to long since you have to lock each case. The WTF is easy and fast. The Possum Hollow is cheap but does not have a bearing so the shoulder spins on so derlyn plastic. It gets hot and marks the case. I thought I would try the new Frankfort Arsenal trim and prep center and that turned out being the ticket for me. Totally adjustable trim length and all the tools handy for one case at a time prep. The motor is low speed high torque so it's quiet and cuts well. Totally worth the money.

The WFT has worked very well for me in .308. That said, hand deburring/chamferring is a pain. I will get the Giraud when funds allow and recommend you consider the same if you can swing it...

Trim-It II...no more hand chamferring. And not $400.

Don't get me wrongGiraud is sooo worth the money if you can afford it..it's not without it's faults, but it's a phenomenal tool...