• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drill that barrel

Sako man

profesional dilettante
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2012
    Galactic Sector ZZ9 Alpha Xray Plural.
    Ok, not sure where else to post this. Any thoughts on using some bore paste, a cleaning rod, and a drill? So really go to town getting things extra shiny? Or will this destroy the lands?

Why don't you just sand blast it....haha

hqdefault.jpg

This is a joke, right? I mean, since 2012 you haven't read any posts from @Frank Green with pics of barrels ruined by too aggressive use of abrasives...by hand alone?

I say have at it...and let us know how it works out.

I believe he is referring to a youtube video that was out out using a drill and a bronze brush a few days ago

• Haha
    Reactions: b6graham
    When I'm struggling to get my barrels clean using Bore Tech C4, and can't get a clean patch after several attempts, I use a couple of patches of Iossa bore paste, run one of their blue nylon brushes through a few times, and then I'm always delighted to see all the remaining "yuck" break free with dry patches. My last run-through is a wet patch of C4 to make sure I haven't missed anything, a few dry patches that usually come out clean, and then a light coat of CLP. That's what works for me. Without the Iossa bore paste, I feel like I'd be pushing patches through forever ... looking for a clean one. Barrels all shoot great ... what limits me is my crappy eyesight and old age ... not the clean barrels.

My son, who collects military rifles, reports that far too many rifles from basic and infantry training have destroyed barrels from over cleaning (to appease Drill Sargents). This with patch and mild solvents, and just over doing it.

I suppose if the OP wanted a cyclinder bore shotgun barrel, it might be cheaper to just purchase a shotgun. My words are harsh and I apologize, but, fellow, read Franks book. He explains cleaning of precision rifle barrels quite thoroughly.

Reactions: Sako man
    That's the answer. Leave the drill in the work shop and use the proper tools for cleaning including brushes as used correctly they will not harm anything.
    OK, well wondering if I can smooth something out like this, might shoot a little better. Seems like a power tool would add that extra mechanical elbow grease. I see your point however.

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.50.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.50.37 PM.png

OK, well wondering if I can smooth something out like this, might shoot a little better. Seems like a power tool would add that extra mechanical elbow grease. I see your point however.

View attachment 7800848

View attachment 7800850
    Not sure what those lines against the rifling are but they shouldn't have been made by bullets so jamming a drill in there probably wouldn't hurt anything. LOL Seriously though I would try some Tubb Final Finish or TMS bullets before jamming a drill in there.

Not sure what those lines against the rifling are but they shouldn't have been made by bullets so jamming a drill in there probably wouldn't hurt anything. LOL Seriously though I would try some Tubb Final Finish or TMS bullets before jamming a drill in there.
    ^^^ This! I would try fire lapping before a drill and a brush.

Reactions: Snaz and Sako man
    Really, what made those lines across the rifling would be my first point of interest.

Can't explain the "lines", but the rest looks like typical fire-cracking in the throat-if that's the case you're not doing anything about it.
    That's what "wears out" rifle barrels- it ain't the rifling a foot down the barrel.
    What section of the barrel was this taken?

Is

Is this one of those "I did something and now I'm asking whether or not it was stupid" threads?
    LOL Nope, though I have done plenty of dumb things in the past, actually have not made a move yet. My guess is those lines are from tooling? Got that gun used, shoots ok actually. That barrel is on a Tikka.

Those lines go for ten inches along the barrel starting near the chamber, strange stuff.

As Rob pointed, Mr. Green has the inside scoop and I would actually read his stuff before proceeding. I have always liked Frank G's insights.

Why don't you just sand blast it....haha

hqdefault.jpg

This is a joke, right? I mean, since 2012 you haven't read any posts from @Frank Green with pics of barrels ruined by too aggressive use of abrasives...by hand alone?

I say have at it...and let us know how it works out.
    Aggressive use of abrasives ON BRONZE BRUSHES.

I've heard the claim made that an extra shiny bore will build up carbon and copper much faster than normal. never tested myself

Guaranteed you use an abrasive cleaner and a brush….not even to the drill yet. You will wreck the bore.

Add the drill and it just gets worse.

I’m not at work anymore to post a picture of what things look like when you do that.

I‘m ok with JB bore compound (not the bore brite) and using Rem. 40x cleaner. As of this time…nothing else. Use JB or the Rem. 40x cleaner and a snug fitting patch only.

Don’t use a brush with an abrasive! Bore damage will be the result. It’s just a matter of when!

Later, Frank

I've heard the claim made that an extra shiny bore will build up carbon and copper much faster than normal. never tested myself
    I cannot put a micro finish number on it but if you are using an abrasive cleaner and guys tell me “the patches keep coming out really black in color!” That isn’t necessarily carbon. What’s happening is you are polishing the bore smoother and smoother. Too smooth and the copper wants to stick! When this type of copper fouling starts…you usually cannot save the barrel.

Also by the patches coming out really black by all the polishing you are doing…your polishing the metal away.

I’ve seen guys polish out up to .002” out of the bore of the barrels.

Proper cleaner and a bronze brush won’t damage either. It’s people using the wrong stuff that does damage. I have used Butch’s Bore Shine and bronze brushes for many years and never any damage.

Ah....while I can't swear to it, I believe that Mr. Green has also referenced damage from use of abrasives with a nylon brush also.

But I could be wrong and have no first hand experience with abrasives in rifle barrels.

Guaranteed you use an abrasive cleaner and a brush….not even to the drill yet. You will wreck the bore.

Add the drill and it just gets worse.

I’m not at work anymore to post a picture of what things look like when you do that.

I‘m ok with JB bore compound (not the bore brite) and using Rem. 40x cleaner. As of this time…nothing else. Use JB or the Rem. 40x cleaner and a snug fitting patch only.

Don’t use a brush with an abrasive! Bore damage will be the result. It’s just a matter of when!

Later, Frank
    HI Frank - do you know anything about Semichrome as a metal polish. I haven't found the need to use abrasives yet...I tend to stay on top of cleaning.

And when showing bore scope pics of fire cracking with black carbon, only filling the cracks, and people tell me I need to clean it better...well, I just move on and keep doing what I'm doing.

BUT, if I did want some deeper cleaning, what about Semichrome. Its a very fine metal polishing compound.

Perhaps I'll wait until this barrel I'm shooting in 6.5 cm is done (not long now, I don't believe) and try some things as there is no loss to be carried if I screw it up.

Cheers and thanks as always for your presence here on SH.

Frank has said multiple times he uses JB bore paste. Why not just use JB bore paste?

I'm sorry. Apparently I'm missing something. In what fashion would a drill be used in the cleaning, or attempted cleaning of a barrel?

I'm sorry. Apparently I'm missing something. In what fashion would a drill be used in the cleaning, or attempted cleaning of a barrel?
    ah, the way I do it with smooth bores (shotguns, yeah?). Chuck the rod in a drill with brush on the end, barrel in vise, and go to town. Works wonders on shotguns, wouldn't ever think about it with rifles, personally.

Frank has said multiple times he uses JB bore paste. Why not just use JB bore paste?
    And, I'm pretty sure he has poo-poo'd nylon brushes and abrasives (or maybe just brushes in general). He has stated, I believe, that carbon is hard (think we all agree with this), carbon will get embedded in your nylon brush bristles and then becomes abrasive.

He seems to, when pressed against the wall, to allow that JB and Rem 40X on a patch over a jag is ok.

As for me, so far chemical cleaners and elbow grease have been working so I think I'll stick with that for now.

Cheers

Load up some cartridges with a 50/50 mix of Varget and stainless tumbling pins, with a 1/4 teaspoon of washing powder.
    10 of these down the barrel and it'll be beautifully clean.

Not tried it myself but a guy down the pub said it worked for him.

A brush on a drill for a shotgun barrel? My son shoots a flat of shells per week (excluding comps), and his gun rarely gets cleaned. When it does, 4-5 strokes from a cotton bore swab and it’s as clean as it was new. Wipe the action down and reapply a bit of lube and he’s ready to go again. A drill? Really? 🤦‍♂️

Wonder where iosso falls in this discussion?
    I use it ... sparingly ... and it definitely gives me a cleaner finish. Wouldn't use (a) a lot, or (b) often ... but a couple of patches and a nylon brush through a half dozen times maybe once or twice a year on a heavily used rifle, works for me. If you use Iossa for every cleaning, and scrub-brush it like crazy ... I'd be concerned about polishing off some of the bore metal. I have noticed that at the end of a "proper" Iossa cleaning, dry patches run through very smoothly, and with less pressure or inconsistent push levels. And after this occasional "super-cleaning" ... the groups always seem to tighten up just a big. But that's just me ... YMMV.

I think it's the combo if the brush (nylon or other)with the abrasive paste that is the big no no, but frank doesn't appear to be a big fan of brushes period. I've used a nylon brush with a few strokes using CLR or C4 but I've always been to worried to use any metallic brush and definitely wouldn't combine any brush with any abrasive paste. A little CLR soaking in the barrel for 30 min has been a huge help for me. On my one barrel that gave me a hard time getting clean, soaking it in clr (plugged with ear foam plug), then a few strokes with nylon brush worked very well, then cleaned with patch per usual. I would be afraid to do anything more abrasive on any of my bolt guns and really any barrel.

I use it ... sparingly ... and it definitely gives me a cleaner finish. Wouldn't use (a) a lot, or (b) often ... but a couple of patches and a nylon brush through a half dozen times maybe once or twice a year on a heavily used rifle, works for me. If you use Iossa for every cleaning, and scrub-brush it like crazy ... I'd be concerned about polishing off some of the bore metal. I have noticed that at the end of a "proper" Iossa cleaning, dry patches run through very smoothly, and with less pressure or inconsistent push levels. And after this occasional "super-cleaning" ... the groups always seem to tighten up just a big. But that's just me ... YMMV.
    What’s interesting is a lot of VERY successful shooters use a ton of it.
    I tried it for the first time on my 338 and it Definitely helped me get the barrel cleaner faster.

Reactions: SQ54 and Tokay444
    A brush on a drill for a shotgun barrel? My son shoots a flat of shells per week (excluding comps), and his gun rarely gets cleaned. When it does, 4-5 strokes from a cotton bore swab and it’s as clean as it was new. Wipe the action down and reapply a bit of lube and he’s ready to go again. A drill? Really? 🤦‍♂️
    Yes, really.

And I did shoot competitive skeet for many decades and IMO while running a bore swab may make a barrel "look" clean...its not and you would know if you followed it up with good brushing and more patches.

I will never hurt a K80 or Kolar barrel running a brass rod (Johnny's Custom Brass Shooting Accessories...sadly, he no longer makes them...may not even be alive anymore) with a bronze brush in a drill.

But, that doesn't mean that anybody else needs to do what I do....its your gun, its your cleaning regimen.

Reactions: Neurotic
    I like that beertoot guy’s idea.