• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ShakyDave

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Just watched it last night. Best film I've seen in quite a while. Nicholas Winding Refn directed it and I had seen his earlier "Valhalla Rising" which, coincidentally, sucked. Valhalla opened in New York, played one week, and grossed about 15,000 bucks.

Drive, on the other hand, is as different as night and day. I saw a lot of mood similarities to American Gigolo and theme similarities to Payback. Plenty of righteous violence, administered proportionally to the evil done by the object thereof.

Re: "Drive"

I loved "Drive". Great story, great characters, well-directed. I however did like "Valhalla Rising". Refn is doing some cutting edge stuff right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Refn is doing some cutting edge stuff right now. </div></div>

In a manner of speaking? ;D

My gripe on Valhalla Rising was that the overarching plot line just didn't make any sense to me. I couldn't figure out how these apparently Viking types head for the Crusade by boat, get lost, and apparently fetch up in North America. Or, maybe I was just over-thinking a good chopfest.

I think Albert Brooks was robbed for the supporting Oscar - he was brilliant in this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Albert Brooks was robbed for the supporting Oscar - he was brilliant in this one. </div></div>

That was one of the best, over the top performances I've seen in years. Talk about a complex character..... Reminded me a lot of Neal McDonough's character in Justified this year for which he should get an Emmy and set a tradition of Emmies for Justified villains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaky Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just watched it last night. Best film I've seen in quite a while. Nicholas Winding Refn directed it and I had seen his earlier "Valhalla Rising" which, coincidentally, sucked. Valhalla opened in New York, played one week, and grossed about 15,000 bucks.</div></div>

It didn't suck, it's just not for most. I actually really enjoyed it. Then again, I'm a big art-house film fan.

"The boy says he was brought out of hell. Maybe that's where we're going."

But Drive is a great movie all the way around. I'm glad others think so, a lot of people gripe about the lack of dialog and pacing.