• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drying brass after STM...

dux4all

Private
Banned !
Apr 2, 2009
Found these polypropylene test tube/beaker racks for drying brass after running them through the stainless tumbling media. Each has a hole drilled directly in the center, and all I have to do is put them in with the necks down and set them over an air vent overnight. Each rack holds 96 pieces and works extremely well with .308 cases. Might need the other rack for .338LM and larger.

http://www.ctechglass.com/ctech-tr9301-p-216.html

I haven't made the STM jump yet, mainly due to this situation. I have a heat gun, but to be honest, I have better things to do. The dehydrator is the best idea so far, but my wife would kick my ass if she found my brass in the dehydrator. J

I anneal after cleaning. A propane torch does a pretty good job drying brass, if I may say so myself.

The fastest way to dry brass is with 99% rubbing alcohol available at Walmart pharmacy.
Pour the alcohol into a large enough container,add brass and swish around a bit,remove brass,pour alcohol back into container,brass should be dry by the time you've put the bottle away.

I always spread mine out on an old cookie sheet and pop them in the oven at 170 degrees for a few minutes. Dries them inside and out very quickly, and the temp won't effect the brass in the slightest.

Denatured alcohol works real good but some folks dont like it because it is flammable. It also dilutes as you place wet brass in it then return it to the container. I just use my oven {spare in the basement} set for 225 degrees on bake and put the cases in for about 10 minutes. pull them oout and when cool {3-4 minutes} they are ready to be loaded.

1304217578.jpg

1304217579.jpg

1304217581.jpg

I still think that the SS media is a complicated answer to a simple problem. Tumble them in walnut or corncob media and get less anal. JMHO