• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA Price increase !! (Desert Tactical Arms)

Re: DTA Price increase !! (Desert Tactical Arms)

Hmmm did they say how much?

I was told that the "Chassis, Conversion kits, & drag bags" were going up in pricing. The drag bag is going from $269 to $310. Anthony

That is a little disappointing actually.

Well, it's a given that prices will tend to fluctuate but trend upward over time. However, why not wait and see what happens? It may not be much of a jump, at least not as much as it was when AI and some European rifles and optics jumped in the last year or so.

If its any use - I ordered a DT SRS with .338M barrel - 04/02/10 - Ethan from sales told me there was a 'significant' price hike coming - but they honored the original prices ($4200). I did see a brief flash of an updated price list which caused me to panic - it had the same chassis & .338LM barrel at about $4800-4900.

hope its of some use.

The conversion kits are going up as well. I think the 308 went from 1300 to 1500. Seems they have the pricing now, so you can call and ask. Fortunately I bought my 338 and 308 just before this happened.

And I wouldn't count on them trending down unless they start to get a bad rap for some reason. Just as with all things...prices tend to go up unless an item becomes commoditized. And given the comparable DSR1 is probably 4 times the increased DTA price...they're still a bargain.

still one of the best deals goin on long guns, i'm still getting one

for that money (and $300-700 less for a .308) I'd rather get a GAP or other Custom rifles...They were a bargin when they first came out a couple years ago...Now over a $600-700 price jump from the early 2010 .308 price..forget it. You guys are just buying into the hi-speed "cool" tactical thing.

CST...you are buying a system...not a rifle. So the caliber conversions wind up being less than one half of the price of getting your next GAP. Plus the DTA is 12" shorter. I can tell you after carrying one up in the mountains in Colorado elk hunting the shorter length makes up for the weight. In addition, with my neck damage from car addident...the weight hanging out on a 26" barrel of an AI, or other normal rifle..kills me. That bullpup is like a godsend for my shooting purposes in all aspects.

Don't get me wrong I love GAPs...have owned at least two of them. But I will keep my DTAs, yeah...two of them. Green and tan...just don't like black.

I would add another one if DTA..would add a trainer...SR90 ya hearing me...with the way the bolts work...you can make a .223 and .22LR work no problem on the same platform...and voila....DTA SRS Jr is born.

I second the motion for a trainer!

SCL

Trainer??? It's only $7/shot for my 338. You mean .22 or .223 is cheaper than that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would add another one if DTA..would add a trainer...SR90 ya hearing me...with the way the bolts work...you can make a .223 and .22LR work no problem on the same platform...and voila....DTA SRS Jr is born. </div></div>

already talked to em, they said the problem would be engineering the mags/bolt woudln't be worth the cost of the conversion. i told them they would sell lot crazy but we'll see.

lol, i know if the SRS shot 22lr, 17hmr, 223 (and all 223 based calibers) then the standard 243, 308, 300 win mag, 338 lapua... what else would you need, lol.

If 338LM ammo runs $7/shot, how much different is that from a .50? Don't have one of either, but have shot the DTA in 338. Killer rifle, Killer shot cost too.

The 338 ammo is more expensive than the 50 unfortunately. I'll be reloading soon...

Getting a 223 to feed in that platform would be a mean trick. The 308 case just barely feeds without jamming up as it is.

Ratbert,

Were you unhappy with your 308? I believe you sold it, so guessing it wasn't a favorite?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for that money (and $300-700 less for a .308) I'd rather get a GAP or other Custom rifles...They were a bargin when they first came out a couple years ago...Now over a $600-700 price jump from the early 2010 .308 price..forget it. You guys are just buying into the hi-speed "cool" tactical thing. </div></div>

Sorry but the fact I dont have to buy another 3300 scope for a second rifle is fairly significant in my book.

yeah that is definately a HUGE factor. gun shoots amazing and returns to dope with every barrel change, LC let me shoot his, swapped barrels shot it, swapped again. that thing would still ring steel to 1k everytime. it was really impressive.

Ratbert is correct, the 223 case is just too short to feed from the platform, we may be able to do it but it would take significant redesign of the magazine, feeding, bolt, and barrel extension to do so. Maybe someday but truthfully it won't be anytime soon, way too much on the fire that is a much higher priority right now. We are still working on the HTI things are progressing well. We are still trying to have them in production by the end of the year however much military stuff happening behind the scenes here and far that is taking a lot of our time.

oh i know, i take nothing away from you guys. LC was telling me all about how much stuff you guys have brewing. you guys make amazing guns keep it up.

Thanks Joe, I appreciate you guys accomodating LC, next time I'll have to tag along. This warm weather is giving me the shooting bug really bad!

no problem, next time you should definately come. the guys loved having a chance to shoot the guns, and you definately have a few guys saving for em.

SR90...I meant a new smaller platform for a trainer...not using the current SRS..I know that would about be impossible. Sure would like a SRS Jr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting a 223 to feed in that platform would be a mean trick. The 308 case just barely feeds without jamming up as it is.
</div></div>

+1 to that. When my Dad is shooting 308 out of his, it has feed problems that are non-existent in the other calibers. Even with the 300 win mag there may be a couple feed problems out of several boxes of ammo but 338lpm runs smooooth.

I just shot the DTA .338LM 2700 yards, I'd still consider buying one if I didn't already have one.

Funny...my 308 feeds without any problems. I am using 150 Accubonds and 155 Lapua Scenars out of it.

That's good guns4570. I was starting to get a bit concerned with the comments about feeding issues below 338.

And 2700 yards??? Were you lobbing bullets at barns at that range? Isn't the effective range of 338LM more like 1500yards?

Dan
If your dad has a mag that doesn't feed have him call us and if we need to we can replace it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dan
If your dad has a mag that doesn't feed have him call us and if we need to we can replace it. </div></div>

Only feed problems I've ever seen on mine where when I hand fed the rounds and they caught up on I'm assuming the barrel extension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And 2700 yards??? Were you lobbing bullets at barns at that range? Isn't the effective range of 338LM more like 1500yards?

</div></div>

You should check out the thread in Beyond 1000 yards with photos.

Ahh...yes, 2700 yards. But at that distance, really does seem like lobbing rounds down range. If it takes 13 shots to hit a target that large, I wouldn't really call it "effective". Yes, you'll hit the target eventually, and it may still have the KE to take a target, but IMHO it becomes more luck than skill at that point. Now if you could consistently put rounds into the target at that range...that'd be impressive.

I would say it's mostly skill with bit of luck....

That is the same distance that a British sniper killed TWO men with CONSECUTIVE shots with the 338 Lapua Magnum....

Millsd
To have the capability to consistently shoot groups the size of the Volkswagon Bug at 2700 yards I would call very effective whether you hit a 3 foot circle or not. 3 Feet at 2700 yards is 1.33 MOA some guys struggle with hitting a 1 MOA dot at 1000 and 1500 yards let alone distances nearly twice that far.

sr90,

I'm not knocking the 338 or SRS (as I have one on order...in 338 and 308). I guess I'm just saying I see it more like mortar rounds at that distance than precision marksmanship (given current data/knowledge). If the goal were anti-materiel (like hitting a VW Bug), I'd see it as useful and effective, but I don't think you'd have the KE in a 338 for such a purpose at that range? And if further accounts show hitting human sized targets at 2700 yards is repeatable...my mind would be totally changed. I'm just going off the other posting, which I believe was mostly done to show it's possible (and kind of a call to action for others to test the limits).

Damn... What do you want from a rifle! I have hit a 16 x 30 target consistently from 1200 yards. Minute of man from almost 3/4 mile. And the thing shoots better than I am a shooter. I shoot at a range with alot of customs and this thing holds its own with all of them. And looks waaaay cooler!!!!!

Just to be clear...I'm not saying anything bad about the DTA SRS...I like it...which is why I bought one. And in fact...there's a good chance I'll buy the HTI when it comes out. My comment was related to the effectiveness of a human firing a 338LM 2700 yards as a sniping tool. It's fun to see that it's possible...and I'm sure good in a pinch if you needed to attempt such a shot...but given current data, I wouldn't call it "effective" for that purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it becomes more luck than skill at that point</div></div>

It's was likely:

Spotter 25% skill with call
Shooter 25% skill with hold and pull
Luck 25% stable wind conditions from previous shot
Luck 25% POI of what would normally be a group larger then the target itself under perfect conditions.

and possibly 1% fate
1% UFO directing the projectile

8% more and were giving 110%.

But seriously, at the very least it's effective harassing fire that can incapacitate and reduce targets. Not to mention, it's closer to three times the range of RPG's.

Is the 338 the best tool for the job at 1.54 miles? No but could you hit and kill a Human target at that distance with the 338lm? YES! The round we were shooting retains 978 fps and 637 ft lbs of energy at 2710 yards which is 23% more energy than everyones 45 pistols, at point blank, which have 1080 velocity and 518 ft lbs of energy with 200 grain bullets. If there were two to three guys standing in a group then we would have easily hit one or more of them. Now three consequtive hits on Targets in a group is very possible but on lone targets not likely however the unlikely happens I once shot a 1.5" five shot group at 1450 yards with my 338lm (have witness and pics) is it going to happen again? Man I hope so, but I know I'm lucky as can be that it happened once.

sr90,

If you had to pick one of the DTA rifles for shooting that distance...which caliber would you go with and what scope? I've heard a lot of good things about the 375 given it's supersonic for quite some range...but then I've also heard good things about the 408. Then again...perhaps you'd go with the 338?

375 followed by 408. Would use same optic but without the horus reticle. Too busy for my taste. I have a lot more faith in the 338 at beyond 2000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a lot more faith in the 338 at beyond 2000 yards.</div></div>

So the 338 is your first pick past 2000 yards?

No a better choice would be a 375 CT followed by a 408 CT both would be better choices for distances 1 mile and beyond. The 338LM is being improved over what it used to be with some of the new powders and projectiles that are coming out for the 338LM and it's adding a lot of distance to the 338LM, I think the 338LM cartridge will continue to improve driven by the US military's great interest in a 338 caliber cartridge however it even as the gap narrows between the 408CT and 338LM then the 338LM will never be a 375CT and the 408CT will always have an edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jas293</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its any use - I ordered a DT SRS with .338M barrel - 04/02/10 - Ethan from sales told me there was a 'significant' price hike coming - but they honored the original prices ($4200). I did see a brief flash of an updated price list which caused me to panic - it had the same chassis & .338LM barrel at about $4800-4900.

hope its of some use. </div></div>

Good Lord that is expensive. I would build one sick 700 with that kind of cash! I do like the idea of quick changes, can't believe they didn't do a 223.

Under 5k is a virtual bargain compared to the similar DSR1 rifle at $15k. It's all a matter of perspective.

And the quick barrel changes are key. I'm getting the 338 and 308 to start...and I can't imagine buying 2 2k scopes to put on seperate rifles. I wouldn't mind getting the 300WM as well...which would put me down at least 6k just in glass...so the price quickly goes from a bit expensive to really cheap.