• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dump trucks and cracked windshields

Re: Dump trucks and cracked windshields

This is an interesting topic to me because about a month ago I met a bobtail truck hauling rock for the county and a fist size chunk hit my windshield in front of my face. I could poke my finger though the windshield but it held just enough to keep the rock out. Had to clean my shorts after that one. The truck had the tarps that just flip back in a few seconds and the pos truck driver hadn't taken the few secs to do that. I can tell you the truck company would have paid one way or another if the rock would had come though and hit me, unless it took me out.

I don't understand the truck companies reasoning that says just because we haul rock it makes us immune to any damage our load causes. It doesn't hold true for any other load.

Just venting here.

There is no G-spot.
laugh.gif

In South dakota if the truck hauling has to pay for the windshield to get fixed. You either call or stop in where ever the truck is from. I have filled out alot of the insurance forms to get peoples windshields fixed. it is a small price to pay to keep the people around the communty happy but only 3000 people live here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is wonderful information. Next time I get a broken windshield I will simply wait until I find a truck, follow it and then get the plate number and get a free windshield out of them. Since that's the way it works these days. </div></div>

I take it you are a truck driver? Does this all offend you that they could be held liable?

We have a trucking company that works for us. We haul a lot of material to and from job sites. If their load is not covered and secured they are cited by us for unsafe operations. We have had several phone calls of gravel, large and small sizes, come off the truck because it was loaded improperly and the driver did not do a safety check. It is the DRIVERS RESPONSIBILITY to check his load. He is an operator in a company, if that individual screws up then the company that employs him is responsible. I could be 400 ft away and if he is going 75 and over on an interstate and that gravel falls...... you're getting hit and it will do damage.

The driver should always be cautious of the load he carries. If he cant get out and check the bed of the truck each time he is trusted with 10 tons of material moving on the road at high speeds then he should be fired on the spot. Thats careless and dangerous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okurok</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is an interesting topic to me because about a month ago I met a bobtail truck hauling rock for the county and a fist size chunk hit my windshield in front of my face. I could poke my finger though the windshield but it held just enough to keep the rock out. Had to clean my shorts after that one. The truck had the tarps that just flip back in a few seconds and the pos truck driver hadn't taken the few secs to do that. I can tell you the truck company would have paid one way or another if the rock would had come though and hit me, unless it took me out.

I don't understand the truck companies reasoning that says just because we haul rock it makes us immune to any damage our load causes. It doesn't hold true for any other load. </div></div>

Seriously? Im callin BULLSHIT since you obviously don't know what bobtail means..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It really cracks me up that people spend time on the internet arguing about issues that are governed by state and local laws and regulations.

If one is really interestd in how to hold a trucking company's feet to the fire, they should call their local DOT rather than post on online shooting forums.
_________________________ </div></div>

Or do what I do. I carry a sack of varying sizes of gravel in my truck. When I encounter such offenders ...well put it this way, I don't take down tag numbers or call police. After I pass them, I respond in kind with a handful of "thanks and have a nice day's"

All of my window chips came from gravel trucks moving the opposite direction on two lane highways. Not much you can do in this OK wind to keep they're gravel off of your car in that situation no matter how awesome of a person you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ballsdeep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Seriously? Im callin BULLSHIT since you obviously don't know what bobtail means.......... </div></div>

I know here in AZ that although "bobtail" technically refers to a tractor with no trailer many folks also call the little 2 axle 15T GVWR dump trucks "bobtails" as well.