• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Duracoat compatability over a textured base finish?

68bthp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
TX
Anybody successfully used any textured finishes as a base coat before applying Duracoat?

I want to produce a final textured surface similar to the textured surface of an HS stock. I'm concerned with Duracoat attacking a textured base coat. The Duracoat people can't advise what textured product I might use, but only provided a word of caution about Duracoat possibly melting and ruining it.

I was thinking of experimenting with automotive aearosal can sprays like truck-bed liner spray, or gravel guard underliner sprays. Was wondering if anybody has any experience with this.

I would suggest dabbing a bit of Duracoat Reducer on the area of texture you want to paint. The reducer is compatible with the paint and I'm guessing is the most volatile part of the paint mixture. In my experience, Duracoat isn't as nasty as they're making it out to be.

I used truck bed liner to texture the grip areas of my stock then used automotive basecoat and 2k matt clear with no issues, so i doubt you would have a problem with duracoat. I would think that anything that uses a hardener shouldn't have a problem with the solvent, it's not like you're soaking it in it. The automotive anti chip coatings are are designed to be painted over so would be fine with duracoat.

I used devcon 10110 to make my stock rough. Just smeared it all over the stock and used a sponge to pick it up to give it a texture, let it dry and painted it. It worked out well. Like velcro grip. ;)

xdeano

Dura Coat is a polyurethane by SWP called polane I believe. All bedliners are a urethane based product so they are compatable. The problem with urethanes is they dry so hard they will lock you out if you miss the recoat window. Read your base coat data sheet and addhere to the recoating schedule. Observe that it is time and temp variable. If you miss the window, scuff/sand to promote adhesion. The idea is to get the Dura coat to crosslink chemically as a bond to the base. An epoxy based block filler would also work as a base coat.

I think I'll figure out a way to apply JBWeld or Devcon 10110 as Xdeano mentioned. I'm thinking a fine 3" trim paint roller will do it.

Thanks for the tips guys. But there is a little bit of confusion of what constitutes a spray on "bedliner", and this is why I purposely mentioned the aerosal can types like as sold for $9 off of a Home Depot store shelf. Some bedliner compostions are professional epoxy-resin, 2 part compositions (as like with many auto epoxy paints.) I have no doubt that this kind of professional bedliner would work, but they are normally offered in much larger expensive quantities. (ie; quantities to spray a truck bed)

NZGRIP,

The only thing I'm a little hesitant about with my idea of using gravel guard style canned sprays, is that the stuff may be rubber based or stays slightly flexible. I'm not entirely sure how well Duracoat may adhere to it in the long run.....though these products do usually say "paintable" on them.

Last edited: