• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ear protection preferences

PaulStafford

Sergeant
Minuteman
I am looking for feedback on shooter preferences.

There is a range of solutions, from foam plugs, custom molded plugs, to active ear plugs and ear muffs. Custom molded devices seem to have promise. I'm looking for:
* Effective (whats minimum NRR?)
* Not too expensive (< $100 would be nice)
* Able to hear normal sounds while blocking loud ones (to hear RO commands, etc).
Ear muffs seem to have a potential for interfering with cheek weld. Actual experience feedback is desired.

Here is my market survey.
Passive ear pro:
Foam ear plugs - ubiquitus...

Ridged or flanged ear plugs:
Earpro sonic defenders, NRR 19db/$15,
Macks #4411 ear seals, NRR27 db, $4
Surefire Earpro NRR 24db, $15 (removable stoppers)
EAR Heardefenders DF, NRR 22 db, $30, removable filters, can hear normal sounds, upgradeable to custom fit, can hook up to radio

Custom molded ear plugs:
(Radians, NRR 26 db, $15
EAR Inc insta-mold, NRR 29 db, needs professional fitting
Health enterprises Acu life pro fit, $9, NRR29db

Ear plugs with filters (not electronic)
Westone model 40, NRR 29db $133
Perfect fit Sonic Valve II, NRR 18 db, $123

Active ear pro:
Ear plugs:
Radians “prowl ear $127, no NRR data
Eloectronic BlastPLG, EB15 NRR 15 db impulse, otherwise normal hearing $449 from from Etymotic
ESP Series 1,2,3, $1,595-$2,395. 90db cutoff, 25 db NR

Ear muffs:
Howard Leight electronic ear muff 22 db, $60, thin profile

Re: ear protection preferences

Actually went through this about a month ago. Ended up with the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with the Gel inserts. For competition I ended up using standard foam ear plugs inside the muffs. Very happy with them so far. Amplification is crazy, actually have to turn them down because it amplifies the gun shots from other guys shooting stages 100 yrds away.

I use the Midway branded Peltor ear muffs, they work great. Makes shooting the .50bmg indoors easy on the ears. And I can still hear people talk as long as the gun isn't going off. Plus, < $10

I use the Peltor Tactical 6S, indoors they are fine but if the guy right next to you has a brake I use plugs as well. Shooting my own brake is no problem and they dont affect my cheek weld. I think they make the Tactical 7S now that are probably better.

I have and used a peltor tacticals, and tried out Peltor comtacs. In the end I like my Howard Leight Electronic muffs better.

One thing. I used to use foam earplugs a bunch and they ended up fucking up my ears. No outward signs of ear infection and the ear doctor ended up diagnosing my vertigo issues as Labyrinthitis. Issue came about most likely because of the tight seal and pressure changes from inserting and removing the plugs. In general doctors don't recommend shoving stuff in your ear canal, which makes me wonder why this isn't discussed more in regards to ear plugs.

Rigid/flanged earplugs hurt like a mofo after a couple minutes. I think I must have smaller ear canals than the average person.

Best earpro IMO would be a suppressor with electronic muffs. (One reason I absolutely despise suppressor laws. Such BS!)

I've shot multiple competitions with the Howard Leights and had no issues with cheekweld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Best earpro IMO would be a suppressor with electronic muffs. (One reason I absolutely despise suppressor laws. Such BS!)

</div></div>

What he said. This is the main reason, but not the only, that I like shooting with suppressors.

The shooting environment dictates the level of ear protection. If there are multiple shooters or I'm using a brake, I will double up with custom silicone plugs and Peltor electronic. If on my lonesome, Peltors without the plugs.

Kevin

I have a couple pair of the Surefire plugs w/removeable stoppers (can't remember exact model) and am quite happy with them. They fit well and come in different sizes.

I am looking for a good set of electronic muffs though so I'll watch this thread for advice on them too.

Todd

I use the Howard Leights for all my shooting and hunting. They amplify all voices and block unhealthy levels of noice. They are slim so they don't effect my cheekweld. I use them 5 days a week at work and prefer them to others based on price and performance.
I strongly urge against using only foam ear plugs. A lot of hearing strength is gathered by the bone behind your ear. Without earmuffs, severe damage can be done to these bones. At times I'll use foam ear plugs inside my earmuffs if needed. I can still hear all range commands, but I get the dual protection.
I've had severe damage to my ears from past experiences and I'm a huge advocate of proper protection. Once damage is done to your ears, there's no solution to it.

I now use and prefer the Peltor sport tactical headphones and I added the gel ear pieces. They are fantastic, great protection, great sound and VERY comfortable all day long. I would recommend them to anyone.
I have used Peltor 6C's and Howard Leights. I used the 6C's for almost 10 years and always needed plugs to get good protection. The HL are much better then the 6C's on protection, but the wires have a tendency to break..The wires are very fine and bending them as the headphones are folded breaks the wires.

I have numerous sets of hearing protection courtesy of the government (after I was diagnosed with hearing loss from gunfire/explosives, thanks Uncle Sam)and really like the MSA/Sordin electronic muffs for operational and outdoor range use. If we are indoors or in the shoot house, I use custom fit plugs plus the electronic muffs. If outdoors or some type of physical training or op activity that doesn't involve a ton of shooting I am very partial to the SureFire inserts. Big note on the SureFire's that I learned the hard way - they come in sizes and they suck (uncomfortable, decreased performance) if you don't have the right size. You may need to buy a couple of pairs to find the right ones but it is worth the cost if the ones you get first don't work.

thanks for all the great feedback. good to hear real-world experiences, and also to learn about some issues (eg foam plugs can generate harmful pressure changes and potential infections), weak wires, etc.

I am glad to see no one has issues with cheek weld and ear muffs, and that active muffs allow hearing RO commands etc. Leaning that way.

If you shoot "a lot" it's simple: double up. The more you shoot, the more you will be interested in preserving your hearing. There is nothing better than ear plugs and non-electronic, low-profile muffs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used the MSA Supreme Pro X muffs and foam plugs for all shooting for the last 7 years. Only way to go.

http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html </div></div>

Love my Sordins as well if I were buying now I would buy the new ones with Bluetooth

Everybody that I've talked to that has used the MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro Xs seems to love them which is why I've considered them. I'm concerned that the NRR of 18 is too low though compared to others.

I use the ProEars Pro Tac Slim which "claim" an NRR of 28.

I've been wanting to do a side by side comparison between these two models as I've been generally pleased with the ProEars but they are thicker and aren't weatherized which has been an issue in the past for me (just grinned and let 'em get wet). I also understand there is a bit of funny business in NRR ratings so am wondering if the MSA/Sordins are rated accurately while the Proears are pie in the sky.

Anybody have experience between the two to compare?

The proears are still kind of big and I had problems with a proper cheek weld.

With the sordins, the trick it to wear plus under them and turn the volume up. This boosts the NRR rating. Shooting outdoors, depending on the weapon, earplus may or may not be needed.

I've been thinking about using the SureFire's, good to see some feedback on them. I usually use foam plugs since they're cheap and abundant. I've tried muffs but they always hit the stock, I think it's cause I have kind of high cheek bones. I'll have to order a couple of each size of the SF's and see which fits me best.

Doubling up is likely the best. Indoors I always double plugs and muffs. Outside it's usually just plugs because I am likely shooting rifles and cand stand earmuffs and the issues around them.

That said I have to wonder what the maximum possible reduction is. The highest I have ever seen is about 32 decibels. At some point the sound waves coming into your ear canal would be passed in intensity by the actual engery transferred to your ear through your bone structure. However it sure seems like plugs and muffs block more than just one or the other so I am sure that point is over 32db.