• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Eberlestock backpacks--how much can you carry???

ceylonc

Eberlestock Dealer
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2006
Memphis, TN
Got a question I'd like to ask here...

I got a chance yesterday (finally!) to hit the range to do a little t&e on some equipment and get some trigger time for the upcoming hunting season. I use a Gunslinger II as a range bag, shooting rest, etc., and as such carry all my gear + rifle in it. While I was shooting I got a call from a customer who wanted to know if the GS II would allow him to:
1) Carry a bolt rifle in the scabbard;
and...
2) Carry a 20" AR upper broken down with the complete lower in the load bay;

This got me to thinking that these pack have a multitude of uses, from a range/gear bag, a hunting backpack, a competition pack, SHTF/"bug out" bag, or just a hiking pack. The weight, capacity, & ergonomics are great for me and my applications because it allows me to get my needed gear in one bag, eliminating numerous walks to the truck just to get set up for a day of shooting. Here's what I carry in my pack & I've attached some picks of how it works in the field:
--stapler;
--targets;
--ammo;
--padded shooting mat;
--shooting glasses;
--caliper;
--mini tool set;
--compression straps;
--flashlight;
--pen;
--silicon cloth;
--bore snake (2);
--rain cover;
--hearing protection;
--bench level;
--Minox HG 8-42 binos;
--tripod;
--Harris bipod;

Here is the pack fully loaded with 26" Savage 111 LRH in 6.5x284:
P1070533Medium.jpg

Top compartment:
P1070535Medium.jpg

Here is the pack unloaded:
P1070537Medium.jpg

Here it is on the firing line:
P1070532Medium.jpg

P1070531Medium.jpg

With the gear I currently carry I still have excess capacity, just how much would depend on exactly what I needed to add (first aid kit, chronograph setup, etc.). So, I know that it works great as a range bag. I then got to thinking about the "SHTF" application & decided to see how it would carry a broken down AR, AK, etc. The pics below are of my 16" Stag upper and a WASR-10 underfolder:
P1070539Medium.jpg

P1070541Medium.jpg

P1070540Medium.jpg

P1070538Medium.jpg

Some conclusion for the SHTF scenario:
1) The internal bay will accomodate a broken down 16" AR but is not quite long enough for a 20" upper;
2) An AK underfolder is also just a tad too long for the GS II;

Would anybody else be willing to show how they packs are set up? I know that I'm missing some uses & applications. I'm not expecting chaos in the streets anytime soon but my curiousity got the best of me when I saw just how well the broken down AR fit inside.

Thanks for looking.

Re: Eberlestock backpacks--how much can you carry???

I have had a full days Cold weather hunting gear + 8 Point buck boned and the head on my Phantom for about 2-2.5 miles.

I've used my GSII as a slightly more discreet range bag, as well as a backpacking pack. Loaded up with my AE, ammo boxes/pouches, Otis cleaning kit, rear bag, chamber flags, target dots, ear pro, it still has a huge amount of room for more gear. I also strongly recommend the MultiPack, although you have to specify upon ordering to include the attachment straps to use as a front pack (no extra charge, I believe). In that role it works great for hiking, but by removing the attachment straps and storing them in the front compartment, the MultiPack also makes a great little range bag for a pistol. I'll throw a .22LR handgun with a brick of ammo into the MultiPack, then put the pack into the GSII. Intermixing precision rifle with pistol plinking makes for a nice break-up in the routine.

What is the multi pack? By the way Ceylon, I was the one that called you yesterday and I will be calling you on Monday I think to go ahead and order one of the GS11's.

By the way, Ceylon has to be one of the most informative and patient supplier's I have talked to in a long time. He took tons of time to talk to me and find out what I might actually be doing with my pack before I got something that did not fit my needs. Thanks again, RG

Pretty cool!

Where do you go shooting in Memphis?
My inlaws live down there so I get down there on occasion.

What is the internal dimensions of that pack?

Recently I strapped to my X1A a summit treestand and three five foot ladder sections, inside I had my bow saw. saftey harness and rope, two bottles of water, windproof lighter, energy bars, 8 X 30 binos and a fleece. I carried thid over a mile and a half over some pretty rugged stuff and it was fine. I don't think I will buy another pack that doesn't say Eberlestock on it.

Last year I had misc. hunting gear, a rifle, approximately half of a deboned elk cow (inside main compartment), and a whole front quarter (hanging off the pack in an Eberlestock Bird Bag) in and on a Gen. 1 Gunslinger. Although my back and shoulders were screaming, the pack could have taken more......