• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Terminator Review *Pic Heavy*

G

My new Eberlestock Terminator came in last week, and I have had a chance to take it out into the field, to the range, and see how it loads out and how well it handles weight.

The Terminator is Eberlestock's newest pack, based on the same design as the Operator. For the most part, the only real difference between the two, is that the Terminator has a scabbard which can be removed. I should rephrase that - the Terminator has a scabbard which can be integrated into it after you purchase it seperately. That said, I like the design, and I like have the ability to take the scabbard out when it isnt needed.

The pack's capacity is 5000 cublic inches, has an empty weight of right at 10 pounds and is made of 1000 denier nylon. Now, keep snide comments to yourself here, but I had my girlfriend take a look at the pack for me. She has a Masters in Fashion Design, so I wanted her to take a look at overall construction. When it comes to sewing and design, the girl knows her shit. She gave the stitching an A+, very well done. Zippers and material selection were also given good marks. She didnt like the color.
smile.gif

Here's the pack with my rig in it:

P1000995.jpg

P1000991.jpg

P1000992.jpg

Layout:

There is a main compartment, that is split 66.6/33.3 top and bottom respectively. It is seperated by a wall that can be zipped open so the full cavity can be used if need be. If you look in the first picture below, you can see the top portion of the main compartment. In it, there are mesh side pockets that have vertical zippers. There is also a cinch strap for holding stuff down, as well as a sleeve pocket on the back of the main compartment.

P1010002.jpg

Below that, is the smaller section of the compartment. The compartment size is about the size of a large softsided lunchbox, if that gives you an idea. It also has a total of 4 sleeve pockets in it with elastic tops to keep your gear in them. One pocket on each side and two pockets on the back of the cavity area. I rolled up my shooting mat to give you an idea of space.

P1000998.jpg

P1000999.jpg

Also, as you can see, the pockets have MOLLE straps in the covers of the pouch. Perfect for your med kit. They'll keep stuff you need handy and safe. You can see it in the pic just above this one, as well as here:

P1010003.jpg

One of my favorite features of this pack, compared to my Gunslinger, is the integrated hydration pockets. They are located at 3 and 9 on the pack, and are large enough to hold two 100oz bladders. (To do it, the bladder needs to already be in the pack, otherwise its tough to squeeze em both in.) Also, they are big enough for other things too...like spotting scopes:

P1000994.jpg

Also on the outside of the pack (just like the Operator), are two other pockets. The top one is perfectly sized for your data book:

P1000996.jpg

The bottom exterior pocket is friggin huge. Mags, ammo, MREs, whatever...

P1000997.jpg

Re: Eberlestock Terminator Review

Now, for my favorite part of this pack. Next to the hydration pockets on each side, there is a zipper (that can be seen in the very first pic of this post) that runs the full height of the pack. When these zippers are zipped down, a row of MOLLE webbing is there:
Ammo:
P1010004.jpg

Misc:
P1010005.jpg

Now, what I didnt like, is that the scabbard is much thinner than the Gunslinger. Your rifle will get in there, but it's a pretty tight fit.

Handling:

I did two loaded out walks with it. Each was a ten mile trip. The first was done with my weapon in it, and a total weigh out of 43 lbs. With this amount of weight it held its own. Eberlestocks tend to feel top heavy and sit a little more on your shoulders. This guy was no different. But, with this load, it was no problem.

The second trip was done with my bolt gun in the scabbard, my M4 barrel up in one of the side pockets and strapped down with an external cinch strap and a total eight of 90 lbs. With this weight, this pack is not made for long ruck marches. The lack of a full frame hinders it in this area. It has aluminum stays, but not a full frame. The back is heavily padded, but no more that any other of their packs:
(Hunter is not impressed with packs, apparently)
P1000990.jpg

All in all, its a good pack, comfortable for most uses, and very well made. (Although it does chap my ass that its made in Vietnam.)

I would definitely recommend it.

Looks awesome. If it is as simular to the Operator I know it will work great. I have used my Operator many, many times in the field and during deployment. Never had any problems with it. Trust me, you will be happy with you Terminator. Best of luck with you new pack.

Nice write up. I keep looking at one of these for hunting season this year. I have a few other things I would like to get first though. Thanks for posting all the pics gives me a good idea of what its like.

This is the longest post I have ever read on the hide. And yes your toes are rank!!!!!

Nice write up....

Thanks, I was considering buying one. Now I'd like to get one.

What color is that?

Color: coyote

Scooty/427: That is nothing but your repressed foot fetishes talking
laugh.gif

wow thats pure sex, I live out of my backpack pretty much here in the box, gives me a new prospective on packs, and thats one of the nices well balanced I have seen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Color: coyote

</div></div>

Thanks

great write up, thank you, looks like a great pack. did you or your girlfriend reinspect the stitching at the straps after the 90 pound hike? Thats about what my load would be weighing.

Nice looking pack, well thought out. Are the Kifaru packs the only ones made here in the states now? I thought the badlands were but was corrected other day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great write up, thank you, looks like a great pack. did you or your girlfriend reinspect the stitching at the straps after the 90 pound hike? Thats about what my load would be weighing. </div></div>

Yes, she didnt look at the pack until after my trip. She gave it the GTG.

Does this one have the zip on the back padding so you can take the kidney belt off and use it as a stalk belt?

I couldnt see it in the pic.

cheers,

JJ

Damn, that's pretty slick.

Jester, yes, thanks. I forgot to mention that the kidney belt does come off and can be used standalone.

Atti, yes and no. As I said, when you have it on, it feels like a typical Eberlestock. So, if you go into it with that mind set, then you know what youre getting.

If you are wanting a full frame pack for SERIOUSLY heavy loads, you need the current issue USMC pack. Full frame. Lots of room. Comfy as hell.

Padron, I'll see if I can get Heidi to snap a pic for you this evening.

Great review !

My G4 will come next week...

Could you tell me what is the pouch for your shears in the pic "misc" ? I'm lookinf for one and this one looks cool...

And could you give me the number of MOLLE columns on the belt ?

Thx, Artic

MOLLE is 2x5 on the belt on each side, so 2x10 total.

Padron, pics tonight. Sorry, busy weekend.

Where can i find the pictures that were posted with this review?
They do not show up when i pull up your review.I am looking to purchase a Terminator & wanted to see some pics of one loaded before i buy. Also, will a full sleep system fit in the bottom compartment?

i appreciate any help you could offer.