• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

effectiveness out of 10.5

77 SMK the cannelure one, which is more better for terminal performance

WTF does a cannelure have to do with terminal performance? It's there to provide a better grip between the case and bullet.

Lmao

Educate yourself

Last I heard Magtech discontinued the Mk262 clone. I picked up the last 5 boxes at my gunshop a few months ago and they said they're not able to order more :( Shot a couple coyotes with the stuff. Haven't done a full dissection or anything, but they definitely didn't come out other side. Both shots were around 100-150 yards from a 14.5".

Reactions: deersniper
Last I heard Magtech discontinued the Mk262 clone. I picked up the last 5 boxes at my gunshop a few months ago and they said they're not able to order more :( Shot a couple coyotes with the stuff. Haven't done a full dissection or anything, but they definitely didn't come out other side. Both shots were around 100-150 yards from a 14.5".
I'll reach out to an industry rep I know tomorrow. They still catalog it on their site.

On a lighter note:

Although I have a lot of 5.56 / .300 BO SBR's, and a former Navy Combat trauma surgeon, I don't have any ambitions to jump into the middle of this surly caliber swamp fight; however, the only firearm caliber study involving cadavers in the King's English that I am aware of, is this one which I have annotated, and it's a fascinating read of what was allowed to transpire at the turn of the 20th century. Please offer link to any other verifiable human cadaver firearm studies, particularly rifle calibers not gelatin as I have reviewed them all. To be shot in the brain by any of these calibers at under discussion even at significant range, , would well, end the discussion.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 7.01.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
IF YOU CAN GET IT - Black Hills 77 gr TMK 5.56.
Fragmentation velocity goes down to 1900 fps. Do the ballistics and see how far it'll frag out to . Turns the 10.5 into a whole other animal. If you get a chance to pull the ballistic tip out of the projectile you'll see exactly why it can do what can do. The cavity is huge...

Last edited:
You are seriously fucking stupid.

Weird how the 16" at much higher velocity should be much more devastating with the cannelure and all but the 10.5 shot looks pretty comparable.

If you really think that shallow cannelure Sierra puts on their bullet to prevent setback matters more than the thin jacket for fragmentation, have at it.

If you look at his past posts through this thread, you would understand.

That's some funny shit. You've made some of the dumbest comments along the way that several people have called you out on.

The deep cannelure on the M855 is a much different design than the 77 Sierra OTM. Seen plenty of those bullets fragment pieces of jacket but the main core is still intact.

So....Fuck off

IF YOU CAN GET IT - Black Hills 77 gr TMK 5.56.
Fragmentation velocity goes down to 1900 fps. Do the ballistics and see how far it'll frag out to . Turns the 10.5 into a whole other animal. If you get a chance to pull the ballistic tip out of the projectile you'll see exactly why it can do what can do. The cavity is huge...

I have seen reports of them expanding at 1700. My 11.5 runs them at 2475 so even if a 10.5 lost another 100 fps the threshold should still be somewhere in the 250-300 yard range.

It's just a better option than the OTM bullet in a shorter barrel.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker

More evidence in case anyone is still confused. You need the velocity of the lighter round, longer barrel and deep cannelure for it to be useful.

That's some funny shit. You've made some of the dumbest comments along the way that several people have called you out on.

The deep cannelure on the M855 is a much different design than the 77 Sierra OTM. Seen plenty of those bullets fragment pieces of jacket but the main core is still intact.

So....Fuck off
You're the only one that has "called me out" . some have disagreed without being a troll
You are truly an idiot.

• Haha
I actually heard back from him tonight. Yes, they have ceased production for the time being. They are pumping out as much m193 as they can. Likely contract stuff.

On a lighter note I just confirmed with my source he has cases of 77gr and 69gr black hills in stock. Going to pick a few up next week.

Reactions: Bakwa
You're the only one that has "called me out" . some have disagreed without being a troll
You are truly an idiot.

He means ammo availability dipshit.

I noticed you didn't reply to this. Are you acknowledging that your are in fact a dipshit? Go back and read through, you'll find a lot more have agreed with me than the garbage you've been posting.

I noticed you didn't reply to this. Are you acknowledging that your are in fact a dipshit? Go back and read through, you'll find a lot more have agreed with me than the garbage you've been posting.
No. I didn't see it. Nor did I concern myself with it. Thanks anyway.

Not knowing what a cannelure does to terminal performance isn't equivalent to 'seriously fucking stupid'

I apologize my previous reply to you was not directed at you.

I mean to be fair he probably saw it, realized his mistake, and moved on. lol I was annoyed with him trying to bring 300blk into a conversation when OP had absolutely no interest in it for reasons stated in his OP, but I have no opinion on anything else in this thread. I dont have enough experience on the rest to have an opinion.

Ok kids. Quit your bickering. You guys aren't the only ones reading your posts and it muddles up the entire thread for anyone trying to actually glean some info from it. We could have condensed this thread by a whole page if you would have just said "a cannelure can help terminal ballistics by causing the jacket to break apart easier". Instead we devolved into elementary name calling back and forth...

I
I mean to be fair he probably saw it, realized his mistake, and moved on. lol I was annoyed with him trying to bring 300blk into a conversation when OP had absolutely no interest in it for reasons stated in his OP, but I have no opinion on anything else in this thread. I dont have enough experience on the rest to have an opinion.

I totally get that but what's ridiculous to me is someone that makes retarded claims for example:

AR's suck from short barreled rifles. Sure it sucks if you're using 40 year old M855 but ammo has evolved amazingly since then. And I have given an example of a bullet that works exceptionally in a short barrel.

"Failing to see the shortcomings in the original 5.56 chamber". Really?? It was designed for low recoil, lightweight and the ability to carry more rds and constrained by fmj bullets. Everything has shortcomings, it's why all military equipment goes through incremental upgrades to improve with mission requirment.

Arguing semantics with me about it being a battle rifle just for the sake of arguing. Ok will call it a battle carbine even though the original design had a 20" barrel and has been shortened to adapt to combat today. Pretty sure it's still considered a rifle and I think (not sure though) it's been used in battle numerous times.

"AR is not a proven battle rifle". I almost thought this was a joke at first but then I considered the source. Just ask the firearms industry and the hundreds of companies out there why they want a slice of the pie. You're right the AR is garbage lol.

So I would like to know what the better option is.

Obviously not ranting on you, just making my point.

Last edited:
No, I actually didn't see it.
I don't live on here, though I check frequently.
I've placed him on ignore, as he is nothing but a troll.

Thought I would share. I just checked the load out room and sure enough found some boxes apparently full of cannelure commotion. Who knew?

IMG_5845.jpg

Reactions: Bakwa
........and some might cite this reference.

Attachments

• The Best 5.56 Load The Black Hills MK 262 Mod 1 - Shooting Times copy.pdf
    645.6 KB · Views: 228
No BJ's at the ammo store but when you are begging out your passenger side window for hard to get (no pun) ammo on the corner, it's market price baby or move along the pimp is on his way.

That case is a nice one. It's a LaRue Covert bag with of course a bunch of required $optional$ accessory internal bags, dividers etc. to get it just right.
Ladies, you will need to source you matching 6" pumps elsewhere.

The extra room available for configuration after installing a Law Tactical Gen3 M folding stock adapter is appreciable. I think i have about 7 of those Law's now, very efficient space savers.
DSCN3177 copy.JPG
DSCN3683 copy.JPG
IMG_3165 copy.JPG

Will hogs know the difference between 12.5 vs 14.5 200 yards and in is the real question. I've got a 12.5 barrel and SBR lower but wondering if 14.5 if worth it because I'm bored. I use my 6.8 99% of the time but thought about bringing a 556 out the next few times because I've got some ammo to shoot.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Will hogs know the difference between 12.5 vs 14.5 200 yards and in is the real question. I've got a 12.5 barrel and SBR lower but wondering if 14.5 if worth it because I'm bored. I use my 6.8 99% of the time but thought about bringing a 556 out the next few times because I've got some ammo to shoot.

Within 200 yards? No, I think shot placement will matter more.

The answer to the real question is how you get into the heated portion of this discussion earlier with ethical expansion of bullets. You bet your ass I wouldn't want to stand 1000 yards down range of a 10.5" AR15, but bullet selection and velocity can really hinder your ethical killing potential of some targets.

Reactions: jwhjwh54
The answer to the real question is how you get into the heated portion of this discussion earlier with ethical expansion of bullets. You bet your ass I wouldn't want to stand 1000 yards down range of a 10.5" AR15, but bullet selection and velocity can really hinder your ethical killing potential of some targets. Within 200 yards? No, I think shot placement will matter more.

What he said. Velocity between the 2 probably isn't significant enough to worry about. I would pick a Barnes bullet like the 62 gr TSX or a bonded bullet though, because anything designed to fragment will not penetrate enough.

Sweet. Yeah velocity was my real question. Just gonna build off the barrel I have and save a few bucks. Suppressed 12.5 should be a fun little gun to change it up some.

I plan to use zombie v max's and shoot them in the legs because the 223 was designed for wounding people so you could shoot the guys getting the wounded guy and pile them up like the battle of the bastards (/sarchasm)

ok just came out of seconds sierra outlet. they dont carry tipped matchkings as seconds. was told they are kicked out mostly for missing tips.

On Topic Update:
We're seeing a theme here.
Heavy for caliber projectiles and projectiles that are known to reliably expand/fragment/react at slower speeds [~2100fps] seem to be the way to go according to the responses.

This is a good summation. If I were going to add anything to this it would be if you roll your own get a bit of chrono time and lean towards the faster powders to optimize for barrel length. I would probably be looking at H4198/IMR 4198 if I had a first guess. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a significant velocity gain by doing such.

An example (of the opposite actually) was in my 16" 9mm carbine I would get +140FPS from shooting Blue Dot vs Titegroup loads. If you shot both from a handgun the velocity was on average within 10 FPS.

I plan to use zombie v max's and shoot them in the legs because the 223 was designed for wounding people so you could shoot the guys getting the wounded guy and pile them up like the battle of the bastards (/sarchasm)

IF we could just train up military and LEO ' to avoid head shots and the beloved "center mass" shot placement it would be a Biden wet dream ("teach officers to shoot them in the knee")...the essence of the idea is true, 1-2 men to assist injured comrade out of danger,, fewer active operators in the fight; however, no one really thinks like that when breaking the shot in combat, except ambush terrorists that enjoy continue shooting into a honorable downed uniformed (non matter the nationality) soldier to bait his combat buddies to attempt rescue efforts.