• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

eForm 1 SBR question

Colt45guy

Colonel-Sgt (Really! Just ask)
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2004
Crestview FL
I efiled my first Form 1 for a SBR the other day. When I received my CLEO and coversheet paperwork, I noticed that my photo is rotated 90 degrees--it shows up properly in the workflow, but I wasn't able to view the completed form until after submitting.

Is this going to cause a rejection or delay?

ETA: No, it didn't cause any kind of problem! My first F1 was approved. 15 days from submission, 9 days from when they received my fingerprints.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30calDeath
No, it just goes to the CLEO as a FYI, they don't sign off on your Form 1 approval.

I efiled my first Form 1 for a SBR the other day. When I received my CLEO and coversheet paperwork, I noticed that my photo is rotated 90 degrees--it shows up properly in the workflow, but I wasn't able to view the completed form until after submitting.

Is this going to cause a rejection or delay?
What was the process for Form1 to SBR? I know I need to get a finger print card w/prints on it from Silencer Shop sent to me. Then what else do I do? Only done Suppressors Form 4 through the NFA.

What was the process for Form1 to SBR? I know I need to get a finger print card w/prints on it from Silencer Shop sent to me. Then what else do I do? Only done Suppressors Form 4 through the NFA
It's a surprisingly easy process. It's kind of like registering your first used car at the DMV......but a longer wait. You need to have all your information right before you get an approval but after you've done it once, the process makes more sense.

Log into eForms, fill out the form. Some parts of it are confusing, but if you get stuck, Youtube has several F1 walk throughs.

Add a good selfie pic in front of a blank background and pics of all markings on your receiver. Select your manufacturer and model from the drop down lists. You need to be very specific--ATF has just about every manufacturer/model in the menu. Make sure that you put the correct serial number because they're going to verify that to the make/model and if it doesn't match, you'll be denied.

List the caliber--if your receiver is marked 'multi', you need to state what it's going to be. If there's any factory caliber markings, stick with that. (My SRB is a .300Blk, but the receiver is factory marked as 5.56 so I listed it as 5.56)

I submitted as an individual so I didn't need to add any trust info. Pay online, click the 'I certify' box and it's submitted.

You'll get an email with a coversheet that has the address to mail your prints to. You need to mail 2 completed print cards. (If you have electronic prints, you'd attach the file to your application instead of mailing)

The same email also has the ATF copy and the CLEO notification copy of your application. I don't know if you need to send the ATF copy with your prints, but I did and it was approved. You need to mail the CLEO copy to the person/agency you listed on your application. In my case, the local sheriff.

I bought a stack of 50 FD-258 fingerprint cards off Amazon for something like $15.....did them myself with an Office Depot ink pad. It took a few tries before I got them right, so if you're going the DIY route, get plenty of FD-258s.

I submitted my paperwork on 15 Nov, mailed my prints 16 Nov. Prints were received 21 Nov and I got my approval on 30 Nov.

15 days from submission and only 9 days from receiving my prints--pretty decent turn time!

ETA: When you get your approval, it comes in an email with your stamp. Then you have to engrave manufacturer/trust and city/state.

The paperwork for my first F1 only took about 30 minutes to muddle through. The process was so easy, I submitted a second Form 1 (this one for a suppressor) on 12/7. My prints should be arriving at ATF today or Monday and I'm hoping it moves as quickly as the SBR did. The paperwork for a homemade can is a little different, but if you can read directions, its not difficult.

ETA: The ATF website doesn't seem to like Firefox so you may want to use Chrome or Edge as a browser.

Last edited:
You did the engraving after approval? I am looking to have a couple lowers done and thought I needed them engraved first before I file the paperwork.

Yessir, engrave after approval. No point in the engraving if the application gets denied. Just don't put it into SBR configuration until you have all the ducks lined up. It's easy when SBR'ing an AR.

• F1 approved and stamp in hand.
  • Engrave.
  • Remove stupid brace and install proper stock/swap out upper or barrel.
  • Go to the range and feel superior to everyone with a 16" barrel for about 7 minutes......because that's about how long it'll take before you have to explain to every mouth-breather that it's a legal, registered SBR. (LOL)

Last edited:
List the caliber--if your receiver is marked 'multi', you need to state what it's going to be. If there's any factory caliber markings, stick with that. (My SRB is a .300Blk, but the receiver is factory marked as 5.56 so I listed it as 5.56)
So I could be wrong, but when I submitted my sbr paperwork 10 years ago, I could swear I was told that after you get your approved Form 1, for actual caliber, you then needed to submit a request for approval (no charge) for any different calibers you were going to run on the original Form 1 sbr. Am I wrong?

Ronin

That was my very first F1.....and personally, I think this is pretty fucking stupid since the lower receiver is the only registered part....but you're absolutely right.

If you already have an approved tax stamp from the ATF then you can simply send a letter to the ATF describing which uppers you are planning to use with the your SBR. When you send a letter to the ATF, send the letter in duplicate and request a letter back from the ATF confirming that received/approved the letter. What you need to include in the letter is the make, model and serial number of your lower, who it is registered to, the caliber and OAL (overall length) of the new uppers that you want to add to the SBR. Below is a Changing Your SBR Upper with a Different Caliber Than the Registered Lower Generator that you can use with the ATF to notify them of these additions.

Thank you @Ronin_64!

ETA: Damn but this NFA stuff is confusing......arbitrary decisions based on who answers the questions......changing answers depending on political climate......Ugh. But it looks like it's not a requirement, but a suggestion. I found this on another website (dated 2017, so who the hell knows now)

Although the short barrels are the "prohibiting feature" within the definition which determines if a rifle is an SBR barrels themselves regardless of their lengths are simply firearms parts and thus their domestic possession and sale is unregulated.
Put another way, although the barrels are the prohibiting feature it is the rifle or more correctly the rifle receiver which is the registered item.
As you possess a registered SBR you may have as many barrels in whatever lengths and calibers you wish as long as that barrel does not cause the firearm to meet the definition of a "short barreled shotgun" or destructive device as each is defined above.
We suggest notifying our NFA Branch in writing of the additional barrel lengths and calibers so that they may modify the record of your reg
istered SBR to reflect the additional lengths and calibers.
We thank you for your inquiry and trust that the foregoing has been responsive.
Michael S Knapp
Program Manager
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Firearms and Explosives Industry Division

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronin_64
@cjs88

I've been a member here for close to 20 years and you're the first one to ask about it!

I'm a retired USAF E7 and I was commissioned a Kentucky Colonel by Governor Paul Patton in 2003.

Being a Kentucky Colonel means nothing other than somebody once thought I was a good enough person to be nominated. (I recruited his son for the USAF and didn't bullshit him...much) The organization asks for donations a few times/year and I think my 'title' gives me a slightly better chance of getting Kentucky Derby tickets than the average guy. It used to be a legit 'Good Ol Boy' network but these days, pretty much everyone nominated gets the commission so it doesn't carry the clout it used to.

But I can legally use the title--just like Colonel Sanders (of KFC). *For the record, I don't use 'Colonel' anywhere--I earned my stripes and I'm proud of what I did. I'll toss a MSgt, USAF (Retired) in an email every now and again when appropriate. When I made my profile here I thought it would be funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldReconDoc
Yeah, I know a number of KY Colonels (I live in the Bluegrass state), just takes a nomination.

I had an AR lower engraved just out of convenience so I wouldn't have to make multiple trips to the engraver (had another project going on so I had an AR lower done as well). You can engrave the lower before approval (like I did) or after (like most people). Either is fine.

I've been searching everywhere but can't seem to find an answer to my question. All the examples I've seen refer to converting a pistol. To utilize Form 1, do I need to own an AR pistol and convert? Or can I use a stripped lower and purchase the parts after Form 1 approval?

I've been searching everywhere but can't seem to find an answer to my question. All the examples I've seen refer to converting a pistol. To utilize Form 1, do I need to own an AR pistol and convert? Or can I use a stripped lower and purchase the parts after Form 1 approval?
You use a F1 to SBR any lower that you already possess, and was not originally registered as such. That would have been F4 from the start.

This seems to be the most recent post regarding Form1 SBRs so I thought maybe I could ask here instead of starting another post.
Got a couple SBRs already, but this one has me a little confused.
I'm PLANNING to SBR one of my Sig P320 FCU's for use with the Strike Industries SMC (basically another FLUX type system)
The question is, how would you suggest engraving the FCU, and once it's done...do you need to mil a slot in the "grip module" so that it's visible?
I realize being visible from the outside is required, BUT...the FCU is the actual registered part and the Manufacturer, City and State are NOT visible from the outside of a fully assembled pistol either. (which i assume is also required for the OEM MFG)
TO ME, based on the factory markings, it would make sense that the engraving could be on the left side...and the fact that it's not visible when a grip module is attached should be irrelevant.

What say you?
ALSO, the name of my trust is rather lengthy... is truncation or abbreviation due to the limited real-estate on the FCU?
"The Loyd P Christmas Revocable Living Trust" for example

20221226_212044~2.jpg
20221226_212037.jpg