• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electric cars

Not True, unless you turn off the climate control. My wife drives an electric car, great for her needs, it is fun, accelerates like a bat out of hell and the steering is tight, when she market shops and it is hot I can sit in the electric and quietly run climate control, it has AWD no need to get out and lock hubs. I drive my trusty Ford Excursion 7.3PSD that I bought new, now with 273K miles on the clock, standard fuel tank 44 gallons, I have a range of 600 miles at 80mph and 800 miles and 55mph, 2,000 rpm is the sweet spot. I can load it with stuff and see no difference in the milage. My buddy has two electric cars and no ICE, I think he is nuts, will always have an ICE backup that can go off highway with a load. My shooting range road is two miles of nasty dirt road, an electric would get beaten to hell.

When we go to the lake, dirt roads, exploring, camping etc., we always take mine, with all the fixit tools and a real spare tire, electric is great for civilization but I do not trust it in anything but a perfect environment.

Do you understand the difference between zero and NEARLY zero?

As for the rest of your post, zero relevance to the point.

For the record I don't own an electric car and won't until the nation's electrical generating capacity is expanded to deal with the problem. And that means new nuclear powered generating stations, not a few fucking windmills and farm fields covered in solar panels.

It would be interesting seeing the parasitic draw on say a tesla vs something in the same class. I would think they would be on par with each other, or not enough difference to worry about. I think with todays gasoline we can also toss out the well let the thing sit for 8 months, we all know the gas is going to be garbage unless you get no booze in your gas, I would give the edge of longer term storage to electric.

It has its place, its place is not everywhere and it is no where near friendly to the planet, it is much worse by every measure possible. I think Jordan Peterson said it......I get it you don't care about saving the planet you hate people worse and want to punish them. I think this is spot on.

It would be interesting seeing the parasitic draw on say a tesla vs something in the same class. I would think they would be on par with each other, or not enough difference to worry about. I think with todays gasoline we can also toss out the well let the thing sit for 8 months, we all know the gas is going to be garbage unless you get no booze in your gas, I would give the edge of longer term storage to electric.

It has its place, its place is not everywhere and it is no where near friendly to the planet, it is much worse by every measure possible. I think Jordan Peterson said it......I get it you don't care about saving the planet you hate people worse and want to punish them. I think this is spot on.

Properly built EVs will need to regularly use some of their stored battery power to run the cooling, heating, maintenance and safety systems in the battery packs. That is in addition to Lithium batteries tending to slowly decharge sitting over time.
(Because if they don't the batteries run a higher risk of boom).

If you look at the service manual for your EV, it probably gives very specific instructions for battery level when you want to store it unused for over a month or so and if you are letting it sit for 8 to 12 months, chances are there will not be much charge left in it.
It's simply the nature of batteries.

In addition the 12v battery may run down due to all the onboard computers.

You really want to be powering up the the vehicles every few weeks to a month at the very least and making sure they are charged etc.
There is a very good chance of ruining the battery if you were to say let it sit for 12 months out in the weather doing nothing.

This is no different really than a conventional car, where even if you put fuel with stabilizer in it, if you let it sit for 8 months untouched, out in the weather, there is a very good chance you will need to do a bit of maintenance / charging before it will start right up and run properly.

It would be interesting seeing the parasitic draw on say a tesla vs something in the same class.

If by in the same class you mean something with an ICE comparable in size and sophistication, that will be hard to give an apples to apples. What follows should be obvious but you never know.....

All the accessories (HVAC/entertainment/comms/windows/etc) in an all electric car draw direct from the battery but only while they are energized. Some of those accessories have a constant draw, some variable.

Some of the accessories in an ICE vehicle can be operated while the engine is off, but depending on what they are (IC vs resistive vs inductive loads) the tiny (compared to an EV) battery will be killed in short order. Some accessories (HVAC for instance) don't work at all unless the engine is on, which means a ton of wasted energy to move a little compressor.

Without doing a real survey or study, I'm just gonna say gut feel an EV uses energy much more efficiently in this instance.

Reactions: ken226
I skimmed your article as I really wanted to comment on this.

This is something that people just don't think about, well the ones at the top pushing it know about it, but the idiot on the street running around saying that an EV is "clean" zero clue.

The "china controlled" could not be more correct if it tried. Cobalt is a biggie, and most of it comes from Africa. African countries that took huge loans from china, with china knowing they would never be paid back, so china gets a "lease" of this that or the other for 99 years. (learned that from england and the US). These lands are usually a port somewhere if applicable, and mines where things the west is hungry for, rare earth magnets, cobalt are a couple biggies.

Want a real shocker look at the labor practices in those countries with 8yr old children being "mules" in the mines to carry enough ore to get $4 in their pocket for a days of hard work and a death at 20. All pushed by this battery religion.
It's all the issues both upstream and downstream of forcing everyone to worship at the alter of Our Glorious Lady of the Infinite Electron that nobody wants to confront. Those 99-year mining leases China is getting in Africa can be voided by, shall we say, "kinetic means". Of course, once things get to that point, it's long past SHTF time. OTOH, maybe those skinny little African kids can be recruited out of the mines and given AK's to do most of the fighting and dieing for us - they would (yet again) be giving their lives to sustain our liberal, affluent life-style, so it's definitely worth it, right? Right???

If by in the same class you mean something with an ICE comparable in size and sophistication, that will be hard to give an apples to apples. What follows should be obvious but you never know.....

All the accessories (HVAC/entertainment/comms/windows/etc) in an all electric car draw direct from the battery but only while they are energized. Some of those accessories have a constant draw, some variable.

Some of the accessories in an ICE vehicle can be operated while the engine is off, but depending on what they are (IC vs resistive vs inductive loads) the tiny (compared to an EV) battery will be killed in short order. Some accessories (HVAC for instance) don't work at all unless the engine is on, which means a ton of wasted energy to move a little compressor.

Without doing a real survey or study, I'm just gonna say gut feel an EV uses energy much more efficiently in this instance.

That is basically what I was thinking. Do the things like anti theft systems, the draws that are on the car no matter what, the computer, the clock....somehow my Honda knows when it is daylight savings time and the clock changes.....those things wonder what manages the power better, and I wonder if an electric car has more "things" I guess I will say that require power over an ICE car.

The thing I get back to is all the little "creature comforts" that are in higher end cars that use electric pixies, everything from your heated seats and steering wheel, to the heated and cooled cup holders, all that has to take out of your battery range.

I will go back and say, it might be the perfect thing for some people, at one time the wife worked 6 miles from the house, perfect for that, and everything was in a 10 mile radius. Now we both are 60 miles from work, one way. It is not applicable.

This video is for the most part off topic, but the end goes into this new "religion" and is well worth the watch. Really I think the guy is correct all the way around.

That is basically what I was thinking. Do the things like anti theft systems, the draws that are on the car no matter what, the computer, the clock....somehow my Honda knows when it is daylight savings time and the clock changes.....those things wonder what manages the power better, and I wonder if an electric car has more "things" I guess I will say that require power over an ICE car.
The computing power in modern electric and ICE cars (excluding bottom feeder bare bones cheapos) is pretty much the same, with similar levels of current draw 24/7. The good thing is that solid state systems draw tiny amounts of current compared to resistive and inductive loads so in actual use they make no difference.

The thing I get back to is all the little "creature comforts" that are in higher end cars that use electric pixies, everything from your heated seats and steering wheel, to the heated and cooled cup holders, all that has to take out of your battery range

I'm gonna bet that engineers took that into account when designing battery capacity. The final answer lies in the EPA test conditions under which electric car mileage is estimated. At the end of the day advertised EV mileage, just like ICE fuel economy, is just an estimate under standardized conditions and your mileage will literally vary.

I'm purposely ignoring all the politics around this because they don't interest me. EVs have undeniable mechanical advantages over ICE cars:
  • Simpler transmissions (or none in some cases)
  • A prime move with ONE moving part instead of thousands of moving parts
  • Accessories that operate completely independently of the prime mover
  • Much wider flexibility in power train layout
  • Less intrusion into passenger and cargo space
  • Much reduced periodic maintenance
    • Oil changes every few years or never
    • Transmissions that never need maintenance
    • Brakes that last much longer (regenerative braking reduces the load on friction brakes)
    • No filters to change in critical systems
    • No engine cooling system to maintain

Last edited:
BEVs have an undeniable advantage over IC engines at "idle" (the meaning of this has become quite ambiguous even to us engineers, but basically we're talking about a vehicle that is stationary but immediately ready to move).

But when we talk about vehicles that are "off" (once again, an ambiguous term, but basically meaning that the vehicle is parked), IC engines don't draw any power and BEVs often draw substantial power for battery temperature maintenance. Lithium-ion batteries basically are comfortable in the same temperature range as humans. Too hot and they can suffer from permanent loss of capacity; too cold and they suffer from a temporary loss of capacity and increased internal resistance. In terms of net range, this is a good use of energy, but it does represent a loss.

In both cases, the amount of current draw from the base electrical system is negligible in a properly-implemented architecture (so, like, not German cars). Modules are typically constructed to draw very little parasitic current ("quiescent" current for the greybeards). One that I'm current working on is less that 0.1mA (1/10,000 of an amp) when the CAN network is sleeping. Once a door is opened or some other event occurs, then there can be several amps of draw depending upon network management, but these "wake" events are carefully managed with the goal of maintaining the ability to start the vehicle and drive away after 28 days of being parked at cold temperature.

I never even charged my hybrid battery for the first 4 yrs of owning the car. Just in the last year started charging battery with 0 issues.

Hey I’m not here to tell anyone what to do, you don’t like the technology don’t buy one I could give a fuck less. You want to commute in your big truck and throw $ 250.00 + a week in the tank I don’t care, your choice. Personally I would rather put that moneys towards other things, my choice. Out !

If you need a truck for truck things (I need to tow a camper, haul dirt bikes, 4 wheeler, snowmobiles, etc.) then it's a moot point.

For my commute I run through $100 in gas at $4.50/gallon.
To buy any decent hybrid I'm going backwards trying to save money. My weekly fuel savings may pay the car payment, but it's not paying the insurance, tires, oil changes, etc.

If you're the type of person that has never needed a truck bed then it's dumb to own a truck. Far too many fail to do the math and realize that buying a commuter car actually costs them money over just driving the truck.

Of course if you just want it to want it, that's fine. I have 3 trucks, a Yukon, a Jeep, and the wife has her Traverse all just because it's what we feel like.

Do you understand the difference between zero and NEARLY zero?

As for the rest of your post, zero relevance to the point.

For the record I don't own an electric car and won't until the nation's electrical generating capacity is expanded to deal with the problem. And that means new nuclear powered generating stations, not a few fucking windmills and farm fields covered in solar panels.

Lots of newer vehicles shutdown at a stop, restart when you hit the accelerator.

Lots of newer vehicles shutdown at a stop, restart when you hit the accelerator.
Mostly eurotrash from what I've seen. My cars are 2018 and 2019 japs and neither do nor any of the Korean and American brands that I rent on business travel.

Mostly eurotrash from what I've seen. My cars are 2018 and 2019 japs and neither do nor any of the Korean and American brands that I rent on business travel.

Off the top of my head Fusion, Edge, Escape, Sierra/Silverado, Traverse, Malibu...

GOD knows I am old school. if the darn thing starts, I don't want it to stop until I get where I am going. In the old days, a stalled vehicle was stuck for the count. I'll gladly pay for a few extra pennies of gasoline or diesel just for the reassurance that when I am ready to go, it is too!

(Spent too many days in yonder years trying to get one to start).

Off the top of my head Fusion, Edge, Escape, Sierra/Silverado, Traverse, Malibu...
That would have to be 2020 and newer Silverados. My 2019 doesn't have the shutdown-at-stop feature. I've driven an Audi SUV that did that and it was extremely annoying. You have to believe that it seriously increases wear and tear on the starter motor and battery.

That would have to be 2020 and newer Silverados. My 2019 doesn't have the shutdown-at-stop feature. I've driven an Audi SUV that did that and it was extremely annoying. You have to believe that it seriously increases wear and tear on the starter motor and battery.

Yes, it's a piece of shit "feature" that I would not have in any of my cars

The batteries are upgraded to a valve-regulated/AGM type, the starter motors are built a bit beefier, and a fair amount of the energy required to re-start the motor comes from the fact that one cylinder stops at TDC with a fresh air/fuel charge and is lit off during crank.

I'm not a big fan of the feature myself, but the OEMs have put some thought into it.

I never even charged my hybrid battery for the first 4 yrs of owning the car. Just in the last year started charging battery with 0 issues.

Not sure what you drive, but most hybrids don't depend upon the larger propulsion battery for function of the base electrical architecture. You almost certain have a 12V lead-acid battery somewhere in the vehicle which takes care of that function. The propulsion battery can go flat without any real consequence other than some loss of performance and efficiency until it picks up some charge.

You would think so. My DIL has a 22 Traverse and it is annoying to drive. A bud has a Silverado and he somehow turned off that feature. Said it made a noticeable difference in mileage.

Many new vehicles will have the auto-shutdown feature. I think almost all new Fords have it. This 'feature' is a result of government CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) ratings.

I'm on my second Ford pickup with this feature. There are a couple of ways to turn it off, but none that work well.

Many new vehicles will have the auto-shutdown feature. I think almost all new Fords have it. This 'feature' is a result of government CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) ratings.

I'm on my second Ford pickup with this feature. There are a couple of ways to turn it off, but none that work well.
Get a trailer plug simulator. Tricks the truck to think there is a trailer plugged in to where it disables the autostop feature. Or some vehicles if you have the AC set on low it will disable the feature too.

Get a trailer plug simulator. Tricks the truck to think there is a trailer plugged in to where it disables the autostop feature. Or some vehicles if you have the AC set on low it will disable the feature too.
Or you can just unplug the trailer plug wiring below the dash down near your left foot. But, you have to plug it back in for your trailer lights to work when you do hook up your trailer. Or you can unplug a wire out by the battery that sends a signal to the battery monitor system. This one shows up when a dealer scans the system. Many hacks but none that are good.

Wife's car does this, there is a button to disable the "feature", she pushes it every time. She is old school like the other poster said when a car stops running it is a bad thing. Personally I am shocked it has not gotten anyone killed yet.

Other thing I will say I think I read somewhere that a car at idle for 15sec uses the same amount of fuel it takes to start a car. Don't know if that is true or not, I would think so on a cold car, why else would we have a choke to increase the fuel to a cold engine. Those of you that have a classic car with a manual choke (I have two) you know you have to act as the computer and know when to choke it and when not to. People now don't think anymore. Same thing with motorcycles, chokes forever.

Reactions: 6.5SH
It seems a certain conservative leaning news agency is reporting that electrical vehicles that have been flooded, are catching fire. Seems the battery connections have been corroded by the water intrusion and shorting out the lithium batteries.

Just soemthing to think about as you are about to buy into the great green revolution that is being fostered on us by our wonderful, thoughtful, loving rulers in Washington DC.

Electric cars catching fire

Last edited:
This gas station has some electric charge stations. I have only seen them in use twice. The first time it was on a hot day and the guy had his air conditioner running while he was charging. I thought real efficiency going on there!

Charge Station.jpg

This gas station has some electric charge stations. I have only seen them in use twice. The first time it was on a hot day and the guy had his air conditioner running while he was charging. I thought real efficiency going on there!

View attachment 7971542
The local WalMart has almost that exact charging setup and it is less than a 1/4 mile from the I-70.
It's been there for a few years now and I have never seen a car there charging....or anything else.
It's like that portion of the parking lot is taboo or something.
You'd think someone would use it....but no.

View attachment 7971542
I suspect that these charging stations charge. As most electric cars are, by default, local transportation only, most just plug into their home receptacles. (Besides, if you were too actually try to drive one of the things cross country you always risk spending the afternoon on the side of an Interstate, miles from the nearest ANYTHING, waiting for a tow truck to gather your remains)

Very likely since the charging stations charge most probably think they can charge theirs at home for FREE :oops:

Or you can just unplug the trailer plug wiring below the dash down near your left foot. But, you have to plug it back in for your trailer lights to work when you do hook up your trailer. Or you can unplug a wire out by the battery that sends a signal to the battery monitor system. This one shows up when a dealer scans the system. Many hacks but none that are good.

I believe my bud used a programmer. Other than mileage, he says it makes no difference in performance. Also, there are several devices that will bypass. No idea how well they work.

I suspect that these charging stations charge. As most electric cars are, by default, local transportation only, most just plug into their home receptacles. (Besides, if you were too actually try to drive one of the things cross country you always risk spending the afternoon on the side of an Interstate, miles from the nearest ANYTHING, waiting for a tow truck to gather your remains)

Very likely since the charging stations charge most probably think they can charge theirs at home for FREE :oops:

Tesla has what are called superchargers. My nephew in Seattle (explains a lot, huh), says it will give a 50 percent charge in 15 minutes.

Tesla has what are called superchargers. My nephew in Seattle (explains a lot, huh), says it will give a 50 percent charge in 15 minutes.
Similar to being on a road trip and stopping to fill up when the tank is half empty. When a fully charged battery will get the same range as a full tank of gasoline and recharge in the same amount of time it takes to pump a tank of gasoline then the playing field will be leveled. Until then the EV is a handicap.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Similar to being on a road trip and stopping to fill up when the tank is half empty. When a fully charged battery will get the same range as a full tank of gasoline and recharge in the same amount of time it takes to pump a tank of gasoline then the playing field will be leveled. Until then the EV is a handicap.

And that day will come. Still don't know that I would want one.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

Yep, DC fast charging is pretty dang fast. The biggest problem from the user perspective is that it's hell on battery longevity, so manufacturers often limit the number of times it can be done over the life of the car. The problem from the utilities' perspective is that it's hell on the grid (max charge rate on newer EVs is north of 250 kW), and so it basically can't be supported as a mass-market solution at this time.

From a usage perspective, both my wife and I could easily deploy EVs for our daily drive cycles, and then keep a 3rd vehicle such as an IC engine pickup truck for occasional towing and road trips. That's an expensive solution, and while I think the vehicle technology is adequate and appropriate for 95% of my use, I don't have confidence in the grid's ability to charge these vehicles over their usable lifespan.

Had the US spent the past 20 years spending several trillion on a nationwide network of breeder nuke plants and building out the grid instead of spending similar sums on stupidly big houses, wars of foreign aggression, and welfare for the poor and ultra-rich, then I'd feel way better about dropping $50k on a BEV.

Yep, DC fast charging is pretty dang fast. The biggest problem from the user perspective is that it's hell on battery longevity, so manufacturers often limit the number of times it can be done over the life of the car. The problem from the utilities' perspective is that it's hell on the grid (max charge rate on newer EVs is north of 250 kW), and so it basically can't be supported as a mass-market solution at this time.

From a usage perspective, both my wife and I could easily deploy EVs for our daily drive cycles, and then keep a 3rd vehicle such as an IC engine pickup truck for occasional towing and road trips. That's an expensive solution, and while I think the vehicle technology is adequate and appropriate for 95% of my use, I don't have confidence in the grid's ability to charge these vehicles over their usable lifespan.

Had the US spent the past 20 years spending several trillion on a nationwide network of breeder nuke plants and building out the grid instead of spending similar sums on stupidly big houses, wars of foreign aggression, and welfare for the poor and ultra-rich, then I'd feel way better about dropping $50k on a BEV.

How do I get one of those big houses? Is it anything like EBT?

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
  • Simpler transmissions (or none in some cases)
  • A prime move with ONE moving part instead of thousands of moving parts
  • Accessories that operate completely independently of the prime mover
  • Much wider flexibility in power train layout
  • Less intrusion into passenger and cargo space
  • Much reduced periodic maintenance
    • Oil changes every few years or never
    • Transmissions that never need maintenance
    • Brakes that last much longer (regenerative braking reduces the load on friction brakes)
    • No filters to change in critical systems
    • No engine cooling system to maintain
And don't forget, A LOT of them are now being sold with range extenders.

I7gwe1y.jpg

How do I get one of those big houses? Is it anything like EBT?

You jawbone the Fed into dropping interest rates and printing money like mad, and then time the market just right so that you're purchasing the home before the price of literally everything goes through the roof. Worked pretty well for some people, but long-term it represents a net drag on the economy since that capital got permanently sunk into a non-productive asset. Maybe we'll do better next time around, but probably not.

Miss my VW passat TDI.

Best mileage on a single tank was 925 miles - driving from Chicago to Ft. Lee, VA.

I was regularly averaging 6-800 Miles on a tank during the spring and summer months.

Then VW got busted for their emissions....with over 150k miles on the engine couple issues i decided to sell it back to VW for ridiculous price.

Currently drive a hybrid accord and it does the job fine.

Not sure I'd ever settle for a pure electric car.

My 2005 VW jetta TDI 5 speed, would get 50 mpg on the interstate if you locked it in around 75.
I avg 45 highway and 38 in the summer city driving with the ac on.

Reactions: Badjujuu
You jawbone the Fed into dropping interest rates and printing money like mad, and then time the market just right so that you're purchasing the home before the price of literally everything goes through the roof. Worked pretty well for some people, but long-term it represents a net drag on the economy since that capital got permanently sunk into a non-productive asset. Maybe we'll do better next time around, but probably not.

I didn't want to pay for. it;I thought it was free. Guess I stay in my mortgage free split-level.

Wranglers and Gladiators have the built in electronic stop start. If you pair it with the eTorque, you'd be hard pressed to know it's happening at all.
That said, an idling engine (not under load) uses very little fuel.

Well, today, is not a great day to be purchasing anything to live in south of the Florida panhandle or maybe even further north. When Michael came thought the panhandle, even though it hit in a rather low populated area, housing shortages ran home prices in the area through the roof (aggravated by so many snowbirds tired of the snow.)

With the large destruction of Ian its gonna be a lot worse, and the prospect of new zoning regulations, its even worse.

As I always say to the folks around the lake, who want to build … Build high, stay dry. Adding to this, If you want to live right on the water level, get a houseboat.

And back to the subject at hand. The used car market is apparently not going to be “flooded” with used EV’s. (Pardon the pun) Flooded lithium batteries are a real fire hazard. So bad, the fire departments say, if you can’t get the thing to a service station immediately, park the thing in the open, at least 50 feet away from anything that can be damaged by the fire. (related to another of my sayings (Its not if it Might flood in Louisiana, its if it might NOT flood) So with your good ole flooded battery powered vehicle; its not if it Might catch fire, its if it might NOT catch fire.

I didn't want to pay for. it;I thought it was free. Guess I stay in my mortgage free split-level.

Cool - maybe you'll be eligible for the next indebted "homeowner" bailout, just like 2011.

Wasn't eligible in 2011. Debt free now. You?

Sorry to hear that you won't get an opportunity to suck on the government teat. I also own my house and other assets free and clear, so I'm not getting a bailout. Comes with the territory of living a weirdo lifestyle; i.e. paying off my debts early to free up cash flow for productive investments instead of taking out more loans for depreciating assets.

You still dense about the point I was trying to make, or is just a continuation of the weak-ass trolling act? That's a rhetorical question, obviously.