• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic ear protection with good surround amplification

Otero51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2012
Oregon
Hi guys,
I've been pondering whether I should spend some money on a new pair of electronic ear plugs/muffs. Currently I run with a pair of surefire EP7's in combination with Howard Leight L0F. Depending on what I'm doing in the day I may use one or the other. I know both lack the amplification benefit of electronics but this is usually a non-issue during range time. When it does become a possible benefit is during hunts. It usually isn't too efficient to carry these around and hope to be able to put them quickly before taking a shot. I understand some people's position is that 1 or 2 shots won't hurt you but if I can protect my ears while at the same time have an extra edge by amplifying surrounding noise, the better I think.

I've been eyeing the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport, which have really good reviews (and appealing price). What I'm not too sure is how well it amplifies sounds spatially. My concern is whether I'll end up getting good hearing/amplification in front of me, but then be pretty much deaf to my sides and back. Any suggestions/experiences with this or other earpro models? Has anyone had experience with LIN Tech action ear sport's?

After suffering from hearing loss and constant tinnitus I decided to upgrade my hearing protection. I ordered a pair of ESP Dynamics and use them alone for hunting. When at the range, I double up with MSA Sordin muffs. Most of my rifles have brakes on them and when at the range the the rifles are extremely loud due to the surrounding structures and tin roof. The addition of the muffs make a big difference. Big investment but hearing loss is permanent and witnessing the experience of my mother's total hearing loss at mid life made me a believer of protecting your hearing. I had tried many different types of passive and electronic muffs and like the aforementioned the best.

I've had both my ear drums pretty much blown out, so I kind of know how important hearing is at such a young age (fortunately repaired now). You wont go wrong with MSA Sordins or Pro Ears Gold Series....... I have both and they are awesome especially when you need to hear your instructors command when others are firing. The investment is well worth it!

I have Howard Leights (20db?), Pro Ears Gold (my model 27db), and some passive pro ears muffs (33db). If I were to take one hunting, I would take the Pro Ears Gold it has a good nrr and you can actually hear where sounds are coming from, instead of just hearing sounds without knowing where the noise came from like with the Howard Leights. I love the passive pro ears at the range though, it has a very high nrr which is very important to me, especially if im next to someone who has a braked rifle. I usually double up my hearing protection. I used the Howard Leights for a while and now I have tinnitus... definitely invest in some high quality hearing protection. The passive pro ears muffs were only 30 dollars.

I use the Electronic Shooters Protection Stealth model. They are by far the best in ear HD quality protection offered on the market. I wear mine daily 6-8 for work and also almost every weekend. They are comfortable and work!!

I have tried most of the electronic muffs on the market. I have found the Peltor 7S and some of their other high end muffs to provide the best protection and excellent durability. My experience has been mostly around shooting .50's with muzzle brakes, so there is a lot of blast, and overpressure involved. The drawback is that they stick out quite a ways from the ear, and make it hard for some to get a good cheek weld on their stock. I guess I have just gotten used to them, and I do not notice any interference. They have some of the best NR ratings of anything on the market.