• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic Hearing Protection

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Personally, I hate ear muff style hearing protection. I use molded ear buds because it lets me get a better cheek weld on the stock. But my brother would like a pair for Xmas. he shoots mostly pistol. Im looking to spend about $150 or less. Can someone point me in the right direction? The MSA Sordin and Peltors seem really expensive. Thanks for the help

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

I have owned a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport and now have MSA. The Impact works. Mine lasted about 4 years before they shorted out. The MSA is much more comfortable and the sound quality is superior. Most would be happy with the Impacts on a budget. Just my .02

I've had a couple pairs of Peltor 7s models and swear by them, but they're out of your price range. Check out their lower priced models like the 6s or 97451. They can be found for $100 or less, even $50 depending on model.

Like froggy said, the Howard Leight impact will give you the most bang for your buck.

They do get a little uncomfortable after about 2 hours of wearing them.

Tried some, too bulky, gifted them to a Buddy who's mostly a handgunner.

Greg

I bought a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport and find them excellent, I use them for work and shooting. Nice slimish profile and comfortable....for the money I give them a 7.5/10

I would suggest you look at the Peltor sport/tacs. They are very comfortable, have a great electronic system, very effective sound reduction and you can buy a set of gel pads for them.

I have replaced peltor 6c's and Howard Leights with the sport/tacs and have not looked back.

I have a set of the Howard Leights. At a pistol range, I think they'd be adequate. I do not think they're adequate at a rifle range, however, because their noise attenuation isn't as good as a decent pair of passive cups. It's plenty good for dampening the noise from <span style="text-decoration: underline">my</span> gun but the flinch factor is still too high when people nearby me shoot. So I wear foam ear plugs under them. The problem with that is, with the ear plugs, you can't turn the volume up loud enough to make out conversation. Which means that at something like a public rifle range, if you're also counting on the cups for "flinch protection," the electronic function is worthless, so you might as well be using plain old muffs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest you look at the Peltor sport/tacs. They are very comfortable, have a great electronic system, very effective sound reduction and you can buy a set of gel pads for them. </div></div>

Tacsports/Sporttacs with the Gel pads are great. I wear mine for well beyond what most folks would.

They are well inside your budget with the regular foam pads. The gel pads will run you a little extra.

http://8541tactical.com/tacsport_review.php

The Leight's are half as expensive, but I did not really like them. They did not have the same level of attenuation that the Peltors did. Although I may have just gotten a set that don't fit right. They are less than "snug".

http://8541tactical.com/leight_impact_review.php

Whatever you do, do not buy the peltor tac 6s, they are complete pieces of shit. Qualifying my guys at work I've seen many pairs that constantly fail. I've had better luck with the Caldwell brand, if u don't wanna swing for the sordins or comtacs.

re-read your post... a little more than you want to spend but probably the last set you would ever need.

Ive got peltor ACH's with dual downleads. They are the best ear pro ive ever had and ive used alot of different sets. The kit also comes with the boom mic and the 5 pin connection with large PTT.

Its great kit since it integrates with Sat comm (like 152's), and Team internals simultaneously. Also has really great amplification and great audio quality. Much improved over MSA sordin's or the original com tac 2's. Comes standard with the Gel cups.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-ComTac-Dual-88081-88081-00000/dp/B004VILQ9G

Only difference between the one pictured and actual unit is you get dual downleads for running dual comm sets and the one pictured doesnt have gel cups or the head wrap...

heres a pic as the kit comes.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...880277082_n.jpg

I have the Peltor 6S behind the neck with gel pads. They work OK. I went to the Peltor Comtac and haven't looked back. The Comtac's are also worth the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">re-read your post... a little more than you want to spend but probably the last set you would ever need.

Ive got peltor ACH's with dual downleads. http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-ComTac-Dual-88081-88081-00000/dp/B004VILQ9G

</div></div>

A little more?
grin.gif
Those ACHs are $900! I think you blew his budget by 600%
grin.gif

Seriously, unless you're MIL/LE what would you need those for?

I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport as my backup/guest headset. They're okay. As others stated they're not quite as comfortable and not great for wearing for more than an hour or two. The foams are stiffer than normal which is the issue. They are very slim which makes them good for shotgun and tactical shooting.

Personally I use the Peltor MT15H7F SV "Tactical Pro". They're really good for the money (claimed 26dB NRR) and right at the top of your budget. Shop around you can often find them cheaper than Amazon's $159 price:
http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-MT15H7F-SV-...3547&sr=8-2

The other set recommended above, the Peltor 97451 "Tactical Sport" are pretty decent (claimed 20dB NRR) but are not sufficent for heavy rifle loads, especially if you're shooting with or near a loud compensator. Handgun, sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97451-Tacti...4752&sr=8-1

all the above are cheaper than these, ask me how I know!

ears.jpg

please dont go cheap when it comes to yer ears, that shit wont grow back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
please dont go cheap when it comes to yer ears, that shit wont grow back

</div></div>
^^^ THIS.

The Gel cups are 3 DB more reduction in sound than the hard foam/plastic covered cups in MSA/Peltor fitment.

They are worth the extra money.

Howard leights are the way to go.I have a set and they work great.They are the best bang for your buck.
I also have the Peltor ACH for work.While they are great also they are WAY out of your price range.
The Leights you can't go wrong with. For the really big stuff try dual plugs.

I use Peltors now and have not thought of deviating. I even wear them for 10 to 14 hours straight and cannot complain.