• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Elk Hunting In New Mexico Question

eric long

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
Tulsa County, OK
I am wanting to hunt elk in NM this fall, archery or gun. Could someone give me some direction as far as a decent unit- I am not looking for a trophy, just nice backpack hunting (off road) and good possibility of seeing elk if I do my part. Thanks,

Re: Elk Hunting In New Mexico Question

decent unit as far as what? rifle, bow, what are we talking here?

express uu bar ranch in north east NM A++++++++

oh, that kinda unit. sorry, never hunted out there.

My dad lives out there- says it's hard to get a tag if you live *IN* state but out of state - not so hard - they are trying to make money I guess...

Tags are hard to get. If you want a good backpack hunt put in for unit 16B. It is the Gila Wilderness. I have only hunted it on horseback though. a backpack hunt would be tough but there are many people you can pay to pack out an animal if you kill. The 1st rifle hunt and the both bowhunts are really good and there are 400" bulls taken there every few years. I missed a really nice 7 point. didn't have much time to judge but he would have been very big.

Becky Campbell is a great guide and very reasonable. Yes it Becky as in she but she grew up in the middle of the Wilderness and knows that place by the back of her hand. Your chances of drawing go up drastically if you use an outfitter.

good luck.

16B is a good unit and one of the few in the Gila that offer gun hunts. If you are interested in archery as well most of the Gila units can produce huge elk and all around interesting hunts. Most of the units in the Gila also offer secluded areas with little road access. Units 34 and 36 produce some decent bulls but those tags are pretty hard to get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h4everything</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tags are hard to get. good luck. </div></div>

+1

Another option is trying to get some Land Owner tags for the unit you want to hunt.

If you are looking for a bull tag a land owner permit is gonna cost a pretty penny. You can't touch one in the Gila for less than $3,500.00. Some of the other units you can get down to about 2k.