• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enough of the Zombie Apocalypse..

wilb

Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2006
White Sulphur Springs, WV
So much preparation for something that has SO little chance of actually happening. The Hornady Zombie ammo is brilliant marketing, but I'm getting a little tired of being asked " Is this good for Zombies" by someone with a straight face.

How about changing Zombie to Alien ? Have you seen Battlefield LA ? Using the threat of Alien invasion as an excuse to stock up is way more realistic, and you can justify buying some really big guns.

Why is it Zombies are so popular, and Aliens get so little attention ?

Re: Enough of the Zombie Apocalypse..

because zombies are more human, and thats what they want to shoot......humans.

I don't understand the whole obsession with all of the zombie crap lately and I try to keeps distance from anyone who talks about zombies or owns anything zombie related such as apparel or otherwise.

The Hornady marketing was indeed brilliant because they've tapped into a group of nutjobs and sci-fi fanatics that no one in the firearms industry has and they're being rewarded for it.

If someone seriously asked me a question about whether or not something was good for zombies, I'd ask them point blank if they're a f*ckin' idiot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So much preparation for something that has SO little chance of actually happening. The Hornady Zombie ammo is brilliant marketing, but I'm getting a little tired of being asked " Is this good for Zombies" by someone with a straight face.

How about changing Zombie to Alien ? Have you seen Battlefield LA ? Using the threat of Alien invasion as an excuse to stock up is way more realistic, and you can justify buying some really big guns.

Why is it Zombies are so popular, and Aliens get so little attention ? </div></div>

And why does the CDC and FEMA recognize both?
smile.gif

Yeah I dont get the zombie thing. Why do people create monsters when there are plenty of real threats.

Something else...the whole zombie theme turns shooting from a sport into a game. Sports should be played with professionalism and skill...games being undisciplined. Guns and discipline should always go together.

People want to shoot people. Heck that is partially true. We all know some jackass who needs a ass beating that would probably end their life. It used to be reds, werewolves then vampires. Then the reds went away and they started making movies that showed some hot guys and gals that where werewolves and vampires. Since they are hot or good looking we can not kill them. Frack that! You kill humans then why not get a few rounds in your face?

It is like Nelson said “You got to nuke something”. So I guess the same thing can be said about shooting. You got to shoot something. Zombies represent everything that is wrong with humanity. They kill because that is what they do. Uninfected humans fight to stay alive and then some bleeding hart person will hide a family member because they do not want their infected relative dead. Then you guessed it something happens and a new wave of infected people.

Yes I think the zombie stuff has jumped the shark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So much preparation for something that has SO little chance of actually happening. The Hornady Zombie ammo is brilliant marketing, but I'm getting a little tired of being asked " Is this good for Zombies" by someone with a straight face.

How about changing Zombie to Alien ? Have you seen Battlefield LA ? Using the threat of <span style="text-decoration: underline">Alien invasion as an excuse to stock up is way more <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">realistic</span></span></span>, and you can justify buying some really big guns.

Why is it Zombies are so popular, and Aliens get so little attention ?</div></div>

Did you really just say that? I guess there are conspiracy theories about aliens but come on... Besides our wimpy human weapons could not penetrate their forcefield armor.

are you seriously having this conversation? go back to playing PS3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you seriously having this conversation? go back to playing PS3</div></div>

More of a Sega kind of guy Joe.

It's all about marketing so that mainstream brands can join together to shill their crappy products. They are trying to play on the series of Walking Dead shows, and of course the zombie ammo & bleeding targets hit right around Halloween. Go watch the show, the entire thing is an ad for shitty gerber machetes and some stupid import SUV. Off the top of my head I know that Hornady, Brownells, DPMS, and LAPG all tried to get on board the zombie wave and ride it to wealth. They are just trying to capitalize on a niche market, can't blame 'em for that.

I think there is a subliminal appeal in zombies though... some people are legitimately concerned about dark days ahead, and it is much easier to talk about it with (or in front of) the sheeple when you can lay all the "blame" on fictional characters. In reality, any kind of real emergency is likely to be related to natural disaster, pandemic influenza, or geo-political and economic strife. These things are the real threats, but they are not "charismatic" ways to present readiness to the general idiots that now make up the broad base of our population. Think of it like the "global warming" scare a few years back. You couldn't walk down the street without hearing about it, just like the zombies now. In reality, the media-based fear-mongering also works much the same now as it did then. Nobody typically gave two shits when told about sea level rise or salinity changes, but the second they thought that the oh-so-cuddly Polar Bears were in trouble it was a cash cow for activists and unscrupulous businesses to milk. Basically, zombies are a new (fictional) "charismatic megafauna" which is now being used to push both an agenda and a bunch of ridiculous products.

I tend to use the "zombie apocalypse" as a metaphor, so to speak. I don't honestly believe some rare virus is going to turn human beings into flesh eating zombies. I don't believe that. But prepping for a real-world scenario (i.e., zombie apocalypse) that has the real possibility/probability of happening is something that I enjoy doing... and I figure, if I can stay more prepared than most of these idiots on my block, more power to me.

The above two posts sums it up. Yes, there are some idiots who really do believe and prepare for the zombie crap. But the majority of us just use it as a joke. Also, while I know the chance of zombies happening is effectively zero...the chance of SOMETHING happening, is there.
Most of the people I hear talk about it are joking though. But I agree...some of those morons who take it seriously I just want to slap the stupid out of them.

imo zombies represent a moving target that wont shoot back, this is why nazi zombies and other zgames are so amusing. endless killing untill you mess up your run and let them catch you. its the easiest force to stop. what would you rather face 500 zombies or 500 men with assault rifles?

While this was offered in jest within another topic, it could sorta fit in here, too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Zombie fodder can be improved.

The post-revolutionary naval ordinance piece referred to as chain shot made major strides in the task of dismasting opposing vessels.

I propose a 'Zombie-Optimized Bolo Round', where three or more simple buckshot pellets on a combined tether would form the 'Zombie Decapitation Option'; and yes, I firmly believe the cervical/spinal shot should be the optimal POI.

Otherwise, for general premptive sparring in the mid-range arena, I have carefully configured my Zombie Attrition Implement. It consists of a Norinco SKS, restocked with the Choate Dragunov Stock featuring the accuracy wedge bedding improvement device, a B-Square gas tube Scout Mount, and a Tasco Pro-Point Dot non-magnification optical aiming device. An ample stock of Tulammo 7.62x39 FMJ rounds, suitibly encapsulated in ten-round strippers, completes the Zombie Attrition Ensemble.

For greater precision, specifically aimed at defeating the more determined and aware boarders at maximum distance; the Savage Scout Rifle, refitted with a conventional optical mounting scheme and a Tasco VAR624X42M MilDot Varmint/Target Scope, and handloaded 110gr V-Max ordinance should enable more explosive disruption of the selected undead. Alternatively, Hornady 125gr TAP training ammo can be issued.

This highly specialized combined Close-In/Mid-Range defensive weapons system (unofficially termed 'the GeeFrackinWhiz') is usually issued to the Designated Zombie Dispatcher Team (or DeeZedDeeTed, or -Fred, should Ted be otherwise engaged...)(say that all really fast three times if you can...), which is especially trained for such duties.

We have such matters already well in hand in these here parts.
</div></div>

LMAO!!

Greg

I don't know how remote the possibility of Zombie Apocalypse actually is.

Based on how I've felt this week, I'm pretty sure I might be Patient X for the Zombie-Virus.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMM0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tend to use the "zombie apocalypse" as a metaphor, so to speak. I don't honestly believe some rare virus is going to turn human beings into flesh eating zombies. I don't believe that. But prepping for a real-world scenario (i.e., zombie apocalypse) that has the real possibility/probability of happening is something that I enjoy doing... and I figure, if I can stay more prepared than most of these idiots on my block, more power to me.

</div></div>

Hit the nail on the head for me..
--Mech

i thought the zombie thing was more of a metaphor for shit hitting the fan, more like down fall of a govn structure and things get crazy , kinda deal , not really that zombies are comeing

am i wrong or do people really thing zombies are comeing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you say that now... but what happens when you neighbor tries to eat your face! </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you say that now... but what happens when you neighbor tries to eat your face! </div></div>

So was the Tyson vs Holyfield fight the beginning of the end?

nomnomnom... ears!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXMedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you say that now... but what happens when you neighbor tries to eat your face! </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you say that now... but what happens when you neighbor tries to eat your face! </div></div>

So was the Tyson vs Holyfield fight the beginning of the end?

nomnomnom... ears!!</div></div>

ROFLMAO! HA HA HA!

When I think of zombie I think of the walking dead, not the NOM NOM on you brains, but the people left behind after the something happens with no means of being self-sufficient. They are already dead and just dont know it yet. A few will figure out how to live, but most will just die sooner or latter.

They are numerous, mindless people looking for there next meal. A single one wont pose much of a threat on his own, but a large group of them can over run your defenses and take you stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I think of zombie I think of the walking dead, not the NOM NOM on you brains, but the people left behind after the something happens with no means of being self-sufficient. They are already dead and just dont know it yet. A few will figure out how to live, but most will just die sooner or latter.

They are numerous, mindless people looking for there next meal. A single one wont pose much of a threat on his own, but a large group of them can over run your defenses and take you stuff.</div></div>

BINGO.... look at the Black Friday shit... now imagine them hungry

If you really want to consider the possibility of a "zombie apocalypse" we are already surrounded. They occupy congress and the senate, are mindless, and would eat their mom if they got in the way of their next big meal.

Ran into a zombie hunter at the range yesterday.

A 400 pound black-clad butterball came waddling in with his Paris Hilton zombie target. Runs it out to 10 feet (range minimum is 21). Loads his Glock, then points it straight up before bringing it down on his target. Rapid fires 3 rounds (also against the rules) before his gun jams. Has one hit on paper, but Paris and her zombie chihuahua remained unschathed.

This was the end of my range session.

The whole zombie thing seems like an excuse to market firearms to individuals who would otherwise be content to remain in their mother's basement.

I guess you guys don't believe in Santa either, jeeez........

Yeah I'm tired also of all this zombie talk. They are so over rated.

How about a swash buckling Pirate Apocalypse, pirates never seem to get a mention.
grin.gif

I took this hot zombie chick home last night, and she was like "ahhhhhh!" And I was like, "Shut up, I am trying to sleep now." I thought she would never leave this morning. But if they came in numbers big enough to take my magic 10th level sword of slicing, I would be soooo screwed. Thank Goodness my mom's basement walls are made of stone. Stupid zombies.

I blew this whole zombie ammo thing off as WTH is this shit, when I first saw it in some catalog that came in the mail, and noticed some noise about it here...fucking fads anyway.

Didn't realize how "real" it was until walking into a shop the other day and there was case upon case upon case of hornady zombie ammo in the floor around the counter, all makes and models.

Damn, just damn........

my buddy gave me some zombie ammo for christmas. its great to have a chuckle with and its useful...double win
smile.gif
way better than the socks i got from mom because she thought it was funny. i agree with zombies being a code word for stupid hungry non-prepared people looking to take from the prepared ones to survive. theres people out there that believe milk is produced at the supermarket.

The thing about the zombie trend is that it serves as an analogy for a lot of real world concerns. Hordes of mindless drones driven to bring you harm... that's not too different from someones perception of post disaster looters, or mob mentality rioters, some may describe the riot cops that way. To some it represents the mindless bureaucrats of an overly oppressive government pressing on with no regard to their contingency. Some may describe the taliban that way, others may describe Justin Bieber fans that way... Or think about the constant onslaight of marketing has turned us in to mindless consumers that will buy up anything put in front of us (pet rock anyone?) The lore of the zombie functions on such a basic level that many of us can relate to it in one way or another. Who among us hasn't felt outnumbered but not outwitted? Who among us hasn't found themselves in the gridlock of morning rush hour traffic and felt that they may be turning into a zombie?
On a practical level the way one would prepare for a zombie apocalypse is very similar to how one might prepare for a natural disaster, or social unrest, or socioeconomic breakdown. In some communities where this trend has inspired people to actually get together and form these mock zombie response teams it's actually helping bring communities together. It presents a simple framework for people of all walks of life to discuss this sort of thing.
In my personal experience I have had a few people that are otherwise not interested in firearms start to ask me legitimate questions about gun ownership and express an interest in going to the range. And not in a "we want to make stuff go bang" way, but in a "We have been thinking of getting a gun and would like to educate ourselves on the subject" way. For better or worse it's growing the gun community.
So in the literal sense, a zombie apocalypse is pretty silly and far fetched, but it touches on many common real world concerns... and it makes for some pretty entertaining books and movies.

The fucked up thing is that the zombie apocalypse could happen eventually. A month or 2 back when I was at the doctors office waiting for the results on my A1C I happened so i started to reading a medical type magazine and came across an article were a group of European scientists a few years back, just to see if it could be done, created a virus that took complete controlled over a host body. It could even control the host body up to a mouth after the host has died. It also could infect other body through extreme contact like scratches, bites, fluid exchanges, etc. After infecting another host it was able to have rudimentary but not full control over over the new body. The new body also had the ability to infect other hosts. I was the first to call B.S untill a few weeks ago my local paper ran the same article but went into further detail and said that they were only able to do it to microbes or whatever you call those small things. But are now able to have the virus ahear to animals up to the size of a mouse. This is some pretty messed up stuff, seriously who would want to do this. if I can find the article I will try to post a link

On a side note if they where intending to use this as a weapon couldn't they have left it at that stage where the virus attacked the microbes like things and then have a bunch of the infected microbe things attack a person? I looks like that route could have been alot more cost effective and less time consuming.

Why is it Zombies are so popular, and Aliens get so little attention ? </div></div>
We did a zombie shoot last year that was based on a story my brother came up with. It was that Aliens came down and dusted the earth with a gas that turned everyone into zombies. It built off that. We had Zombie targets then on the last stage there was a group of aliens to finish off. Why not both?

<span style="color: #CC0000">Zombies Are NOT animated by a bacteria or rogue virus. Becoming a zombie has nothing to do with being bitten by anyone/thing. The living cannot be "turned into a zombie" as in Hollywood fantasies. They are people who have been raised from the dead by an animator or voodoo priest.</span>

"<span style="font-style: italic">I was here to talk about raising the dead. Not resurrection. I'm not that good. I mean zombies. The shambling dead. Rotting corpses. Night of the living dead. That kind of zombie . . . . It's a job, that's all, like selling</span>".
(Anita Blake, Vampire Executioner)
"Guilty Pleasures", page 1, paragraph 1

-----------------------------------------
<span style="font-style: italic">Comments</span>:
Unlike the Hollywood fantasy zombie, <span style="font-style: italic">true</span> zombies, werewolves and vampires go back many thousands of years, to the great Age of Magic when Dragons darkened the skies and mortal man feared for his very existance.

Ever since the Age of Magic ended with the fall of Atlantis, there was not enough magic left in the Earth to sustain the greater creatures like the dragon, but nontheless, zombies, like their breathern the vampire & werewolf, have been able to exist where enough magic is pooled or summoned to sustain them.

Unlike the Hollywood fantasy zombie, the real zombie, risen by command and fortified by magic, cannot be killed by a simple head shot. They continue to do their master's bidding until hacked into pieces, and even then, disparate parts will continue to crawl toward their goal.

The true zombie must be burned with fire, or the Vodun priest/Necromancer/Animator that animated is killed.
-------------------------------
<span style="font-style: italic">Additonal Comments</span>:
* Zombies are the undead. They are people who have been raised from the dead by an animator or voodoo priest. They have no conscious thoughts of their own, and they are not considered beings with rights. They cannot be sustained for very long, unless drastic measures are used.

(1) Feeding a zombie flesh, or raw meat will allow it to retain it's appearance for a longer period of time.

(2) Capturing the soul at death and putting it back into a reanimated body will keep the body from rotting.

* In order to be raised form the dead, a series of steps are required by the animator:

(1) The animator needs a death first. For newly dead, an animal is sufficient. The older the corpse, the bigger the animal required. After a few centuries, the only death "big enough" is a human sacrifice. This person is known as the "white goat" or "hornless goat".
Usually, a necromancer can use his/her own blood as a little death. The blood is also used to create a circle around the area where the zombis is to be raised. It will be unable to leave this circle, unless broken by the animator.

(2) The blood is then rubbed over the face (forehead and cheeks), both hands, under the shirt, and over the heart. Then it is rubbed onto the tombstone. Over flesh and stone, an ointment is rubbed in. (Comon ingredients: graveyard mold, rosemary-for memory, cinnamon or clove-for preservation, sage-for wisdom, thyme-to bind it together).

(3) A chant is made to call the zombie, and then when it is called forth, the blood is offered to the zombie in order to bring some kind of human rememberance to it. Using human blood quickens the zombie more readily and longer. A zombie can only be called from their grave by name. In theory, it is possible to call a zombie without naming them (Anita can).

* When it comes time to lay the zombie to rest again, salt is first thrown against the chest
("With salt I bind you to your grave.")
Then the bloody knife used in the sacrifice is passed over their lips.
("With blood and steel I bind you to your grave. {Insert name}, be at peace and walk no more.")
The zombie is then swallowed up by the earth once more.

* If an animator is raised from the dead as a zombie, it can possibly bring ghouls back with it. Also an animator zombie comes out of the grave craving flesh. It requires fresh meat until it can remember what it once was. Possibly this can be bypassed if a gris-gris is used to keep the zombie alive. However, it cannot be killed by fire immediately as other zombies can be.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night.</span>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBpAWxrde0k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBpAWxrde0k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you say that now... but what happens when you neighbor tries to eat your face! </div></div>

Have you seen my neighbor??

Main Entry: an·i·ma·tor
Pronunciation: 'a-n&-"mA-t&r
Function: noun
1 : one that animates
2 : an artist who creates drawings for an animated cartoon
3 : A human who can raise the dead as a zombie. Requires a sacrifice of some kind. The "bigger" the sacrifice, the older the zombie that can be raised.
-------------------------------

<span style="font-weight: bold">More notes</span>:

If a corpse is going to rise as a vampire, it cannot be raised as a zombie. An animator must wait 3 days after death before attempting to raise a zombie. This gives the soul time to leave the body. If an animator can somehow raise a zombie with the soul intact, the zombie will not rot and will retain its intelligence. Only one person has ever figured out how to do this, but Anita Blake killed her.

Speaking of rotting, zombies may come from the grave looking very alive-looking but it doesn't last. They always rot. Personality and intelligence goes first, then the body. Thankfully, always in that order.

Zombies are generally harmless and obey the orders of the animator that raised it. However, there are rare cases where zombies go a little crazy and start attacking people. They seem to crave flesh. If they don't get it, they'll start to decay. Flesh-eating zombies last a lot longer than normal. Zombies are solitary and don't run in packs unless they're ordered to.

-------------------------------------

Not even a head shot will "kill" a zombie. <span style="font-style: italic">Remember, Zombies are the undead. They are people who have been raised from the dead by an animator or voodoo priest. Once one has been set on a mission, only the animator that set it in motion can recall it</span>.

If you blow off the legs, the zombie will use it's arms to crawl. If you shoot it in the head, blow off the limbs, the rest of the body parts will continue to search for you. You can cripple it, but not incapacitate it.

The zombie will keep trying. It will keep trying to kill you until it is incinerated or the animator that raised it changes their orders.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So much preparation for something that has SO little chance of actually happening. The Hornady Zombie ammo is brilliant marketing, but I'm getting a little tired of being asked " Is this good for Zombies" by someone with a straight face.

And why does the CDC and FEMA recognize both?
smile.gif
</div></div>

this ^

far too many people being far too uptight about what others are doing that harms.... NO ONE.

Seriously, get over yourselves, roll your eyes at the zombie crowd, get the sand out of your fucking vag, and move the fuck on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoltOveride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">far too many people being far too uptight about what others are doing that harms.... NO ONE.

Seriously, get over yourselves, roll your eyes at the zombie crowd, get the sand out of your fucking vag, and move the fuck on.
</div></div>

Sounds like you're pretty uptight too...about folks being uptight.

Just sayin'.........

sounds like youre uptight about me being uptight, about other people being uptight.

just sayin....

The zombie apocalypse has already started, and most of them are currently in Congress, and other high-level government positions.