• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enough w the cooling fans in your chambers

These are what I run.

https://www.chamberchiller.com/USB-Centerfire-Chamber-Chillers/RH-USB-Bolt-Action-223-308

Plenty of air volume and almost silent. I have one of the older versions with the smaller fan that used AA batteries. Get the USB version and run the small battery pack. The AA battery version eats batteries pretty quickly. I have had no issues with the bolt action version or the AR version. They seem to cool the barrel down pretty quickly without the annoying whine.

Reactions: kindabitey
I get the loudest one I can manage and then set up right the fuck next to you, 'cuz I luz that face you make!

anigif_sub-buzz-19228-1494008322-11.gif

Especially in CO when we do classes we always recommend students cover the rifles when not actively engaged in shooting or are off the rifles

Heat is the enemy, including the sun, it cooks ammo, and keeps the rifles from cooling off
God dammit Frank what the hell is wrong with you... Colorado? Seriously? Throw a blanket over the rifle to keep it out of the Sun and call it done... Apparently you haven't spent much time in the Gulf Coast... LOL. Try being in the Texas Gulf Coast where it's a hundred+ degrees in the shade... and not like that dry Heat in Arizona, that nasty stick to you stuff that you can't cool down ...There is no way to keep your gun cool here... LOL.

Frank, by any chance would you happen to be a Yankee? I could understand where your perception of hot is if you're yanking...lol

In all seriousness, are you trying for benchrest accuracy? Or is this about Barrel life? The reason why I'm asking is because with what I'm shooting and how I shoot and how little I care about Barrel temperature I have seen Zero Effect on accuracy from first shot whatever number I feel like posting. That would of course be General plate shooting.

I get the loudest one I can manage and then set up right the fuck next to you, 'cuz I luz that face you make!

anigif_sub-buzz-19228-1494008322-11.gif

You want to have fun... Bring you out a PA system that you play crying children and nagging women... I imagine that annoying cooler will become quite welcome

Try being in the Texas Gulf Coast where it's a hundred+ degrees in the shade... and not like that dry Heat in Arizona, that nasty stick to you stuff that you can't cool down ...There is no way to keep your gun cool here... LOL.

You mean like around here, where if we were complaining about 103 in the shade, tomorrow will be 106 in the shade.
Oh and humidity...

A wise man once said, "You can't make an omelette unless you break a few eggs."

What's that got to do with hot barrels? Nothing, I just thought I'd inject a little levity into the discussion.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing at my 600yd. shoots. Guy shows up to the bench next to me, drags a cart, with chrono, bags, sled, tablet, fan, etc., then goes back to vehicle and gets gun. I have to put my elec. ear pro. on, just to hear the R.O. explain the match rules and safety guidelines, due to the fact that, that same guy is cooling his gun and we haven't even fired a shot yet. I feel soooo poor, because, I show up with my rifle, bag, ammo and chair.
Mac:(
Rifle, case, and ammo is all you need. (Chair too depending) all the space taken up by the cooler and all the other stuff can be filled with ammo. ..... cant have enough ammo.

These are what I run.

https://www.chamberchiller.com/USB-Centerfire-Chamber-Chillers/RH-USB-Bolt-Action-223-308

Plenty of air volume and almost silent. I have one of the older versions with the smaller fan that used AA batteries. Get the USB version and run the small battery pack. The AA battery version eats batteries pretty quickly. I have had no issues with the bolt action version or the AR version. They seem to cool the barrel down pretty quickly without the annoying whine.
I have the old AA battery version as well, and it is basically silent - with ear pro on you can't tell that it's running by sound alone.

I was lucky enough that at my last PRS match there wasn't a single person in my squad with a RifleKuhl, the silence on the firing line was glorious haha

Since I shoot 100% suppressed, I find for hot summer matches the Chamber Chiller works fine. Usually what I do is immediately upon completing a stage, I slide my mirage cover off and run the CC for about 10 minutes, then turn it off and swap for a regular chamber flag. For spring/fall matches, I don't bother using it.

I'm thinking about getting a battery powered air mattress pump with some plastic tubing for practice and load development. Shooting suppressed, I can't just blast off 20+ rounds without the suppressor getting ungodly hot and spewing mirage.

God dammit Frank what the hell is wrong with you... Colorado? Seriously? Throw a blanket over the rifle to keep it out of the Sun and call it done... Apparently you haven't spent much time in the Gulf Coast... LOL. Try being in the Texas Gulf Coast where it's a hundred+ degrees in the shade... and not like that dry Heat in Arizona, that nasty stick to you stuff that you can't cool down ...There is no way to keep your gun cool here... LOL.

Frank, by any chance would you happen to be a Yankee? I could understand where your perception of hot is if you're yanking...lol

In all seriousness, are you trying for benchrest accuracy? Or is this about Barrel life? The reason why I'm asking is because with what I'm shooting and how I shoot and how little I care about Barrel temperature I have seen Zero Effect on accuracy from first shot whatever number I feel like posting. That would of course be General plate shooting.

I don't know if you are kidding or just ignorant, in CO we are mile closer to the sun, the temps in the summer when we have class routinely go over 90 degrees, up to 110 or more. We see phones left on the line for as little as 15 minutes going into heat mode rendering them inoperable.

depending on the quality of the barrel, contour and length you can see them walk, as well the excessive heat in front of our 25x + scopes create a mirage issue that will corrupt data when doping rifles out

Again, you maybe kidding with everything you wrote, but I feel you are not and just that stupid

Warm is the norm. "Hot" is not.
Both warm and hot are subjective by human perception. What's needed is for the gun owner to determin the operational temperature that his particular system. Stay between the cold range and the hot range and you're golden.

Reminds me of how my 700 PSS started out. I like to shoot a lot which that Barrel didn't like. Cold bore I could hit the same hole altitude 600 yards so long it is literally a cold bore and I do my part on atmospheric conditions. However, once the fun began so to speak, it started walking in a predictable pattern. So long as I stayed in a certain number of shots within a timeframe it shot okay. Got outside of that and it shot like crap. Somebody I used to work with pointed out that I need to play with Barrel to torque... Did that and significantly shrunk the group size between cold bore and warm.

I guess working at RIFLES ONLY for 7 years in South Texas I have no clue what hot is, on the Gulf Coast...

Humidity is not HOT, it's uncomfortable to Humans. High Humidity is actually a favorable condition when shooting as the Air Density is reduced in High Humidity, Dry Air is heavier air.

Rifle, case, and ammo is all you need. (Chair too depending) all the space taken up by the cooler and all the other stuff can be filled with ammo. ..... cant have enough ammo.
Joking, I was not trying to be "that guy". I do know people do load development and take it to the top level, but, sometimes, it seems weird to do it during a match. I'm just "one of those guys", that just shoots. BUT, maybe, that's why I'm sometimes a "first loser" kinda guy. Mac:LOL:

Reactions: Aries256
Im in South Florida, so I'd say 50% of shooters have one.

I have the chamber chiller. Works great. You'd be hard pressed to hear it. Probably no louder than a computer fan, but pushes alot of air. My buddy has the Magnetospeed Riflekuhl and that is the loud one. Sounds like a Dremel.

Not sure how many of the people bitching, shoot down here in Texas. It's a bit warm and we attempt whatever we can w/in reason to cool barrels between strings. I'm sure there are many other Southern and SouthWestern states who experience similar heat. Hell, the barrel simply sitting in the daylight can get too hot to touch, never mind after a 10 round string.

I guess working at RIFLES ONLY for 7 years in South Texas I have no clue what hot is, on the Gulf Coast...

Humidity is not HOT, it's uncomfortable to Humans. High Humidity is actually a favorable condition when shooting as the Air Density is reduced in High Humidity, Dry Air is heavier air.

Okay, this is where I want to get into the science of it. Maybe I miss using proper terms or have math wrong but as I understand it the more water you introduced to the air the denser the air per cubic inch you have.

Oh, and yes I was just being funny not ignorant... Well yeah kind of ignorant / stupid... But I had good teachers and from time to time I stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Until Frank chimed in... I seriously thought this whole fan thing was a joke thread! I mean, I've seen some pictures of people with barrel cooling fans... I thought it really was just funny... like a tactical banana holder or putting a Fleshlight on an AR!

Silly me!

That's what I get for being in the arctic... almost. Where a cold bore shot in -20F can be 100 degrees below your 'summer' range nice warm shoots!

It all makes sense, I guess! I know keeping ammo in the shade is a good idea (or can get you a few yards on a long shot, per some Canadian snipers). But never thought of it as that critical for PRS.

Ya learn something new every day!

Sirhr

Okay, this is where I want to get into the science of it. Maybe I miss using proper terms or have math wrong but as I understand it the more water you introduced to the air the denser the air per cubic inch you have.

Oh, and yes I was just being funny not ignorant... Well yeah kind of ignorant / stupid... But I had good teachers and from time to time I stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

i would have thought the same thing, but here is the answer

Reactions: Fig and spmcpeek
Unless you're using one of these upside down you're doing it wrong.

View attachment 7397704
Back when I was at Briley we used to use one of these, yes upside down, the change the temperature of the thermostat and the room of one of the gunsmiths... LOL. He was a Yankee that had to have the room at 65 to 68 degrees... Had a hard time taking the Texas heat... LOL

Wow, AZ in August at 4pm. Now that's dedication, mate. 👍 ;)
Thanks. Me and my buddy “don’t mind it”, compared to public ranges and all its associated bs. So drinking a gallon and a half of water in 3 hours time and sweating a lot was worth it. Also, damn sun shades on on the east side cause matches are in the am and there is NOTHING on this stage on the east. Sun just rubs its dick all over you and your equipment. Had to move ammo and rifle under a tree on the embankment. Dark green gets warm in direct sunlight.

I'll take a dry heat instead of 90%+ humidity any day of the week. This Appalachian summer bullshit I've lived in all my life is murder compared to that, you practically have to chew the air to breathe.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Thanks. Me and my buddy “don’t mind it”, compared to public ranges and all its associated bs. So drinking a gallon and a half of water in 3 hours time and sweating a lot was worth it. Also, damn sun shades on on the east side cause matches are in the am and there is NOTHING on this stage on the east. Sun just rubs its dick all over you and your equipment. Had to move ammo and rifle under a tree on the embankment. Dark green gets warm in direct sunlight.
I'm with you on public ranges but wow....I was at Luke AFB in the early 70's for a few month school in the summer. Yowzer....it was brutal. But I did enjoy floating in an inner tube down the Salt River....well, because we sweated out all of the water and replaced it with Scotch! haha

Cheers

Reactions: Jgunner

Simple concept... Water in liquid state is heavier than air, hence rain falls. That same water in gas form is lighter than air, that's why evaporated water can rise through the air to create the clouds that cause rain. So the more water is gas state you have, the less dense the air will be.

If not satisfied by the simple explanations and you really want to get into the weeds with math. Lookup the density altitude formula... not the pilots short hand formula, but the full formula that can actually account for the different gases held in the air.

At a class or a match sending hundreds of rounds doing what you can to save a barrel from melting down is normal. At home I have identical rifles to switch between. Depends on your type of shooting.

If just plinking or goofing I won't use one.

No, the water vapor in a given volume or air displaces the commensurate amount of Oxygen and Nitrogen which weigh more and high water content air is indeed less dense. Where you have to be careful is in talking about absolute humidity when mostly what we see is relative humidity figures on the weather report. The later is just a measure of water vapor content compared to the max water vapor that can be carried at that temp before saturation.

I’m a Moe Ron but even I know cooling off a hot barrel affects the temper. Watch a couple episodes of Forged in Fire for god’s sake 🤓

I have a Barrel Cool and love that freakin thing. Shooters at our range are always coming up to see what it is and asking where they can get one. I have loaned it to other shooters while I was shooting to speed up their cool down. Folks at our range are really chill and too busy having fun to bitch about stuff like that.

www.laramieriflerange.org

I'm with you on public ranges but wow....I was at Luke AFB in the early 70's for a few month school in the summer. Yowzer....it was brutal. But I did enjoy floating in an inner tube down the Salt River....well, because we sweated out all of the water and replaced it with Scotch! haha

Cheers
I remember when I had to do my A.F. Basic in '77. I went from Oregon farm fields and hardly any humidity and maybe 90 deg. heat, to Texas humidity and 100+ deg. heat, in F'n August. What an eye opener that was. You could cut that crap with a knife and chew it. Mac🥴

Im gonna build a better barrel cooler that is quieter and more efficient to reduce cooling time so you all quit bitching and shoot more.

Gonna be for hot ambient climate cause waiting for your .338lm to cooldown is a waste of time.

R-134 is going to be phased out eventually and nobody at the range probably wants to get blasted in the face when the wind turns with some of that anyway.
Liquid nitrogen?

I use to use one. The original chamber chiller. It's quiet for electronic muffs, but I found it's really only efficient if it's cool outside. After 10-15 rounds, it'll still take a good 15-20 minutes for my suppressor/barrel to cool down on a hot as fuck day. Now I just sit the rifle upright in the shade and look a boobies in the Motivational thread for 15 minutes.