• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing er shaw barrels ?

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
anyone use er shaw barrels? are thay worth a crap. im on kinda a tight budget but have a tikka t3 in 308 id love to use the action for a build. because its so smooth and a great trigger. i know a mcmillan stock is about 600 bucks, but what is a good barrel at fair price in 243 ? wonder if anyone would make one threaded and chambered

If it was me I would pass and save up another $100 for a premium barrel. The extra $100 is peanuts compared to what you'll spend on a full build.

Kc

The old phrase "Buy once cry once" comes to mind here, go with quality (I.E. Brux, Shilen, Krieger, Rock Creek, Etc.) You will be happier in the long run. The Tikka action is a good platform to start with and should save you a little money as IMO they do not need to be trued, but if you're spending $600 on a McMillan stock save a few extra bucks up and get a good barrel to go along with it.

yeah i think i will, can anyone show some pics for ideas ? was just on shilen site. do you think thay will thread and chamber one for me ?

Where are you located? your best bet is to have a gunsmith fit and chamber a barrel blank to your action, Some barrel makers will thread and short chamber the barrel but then you still have to finish cutting the chamber for proper headspace. I would not suggest taking this on unless you have a solid working knowledge base pertaining to how and why things work inside your rifle when you pull the trigger..

I ask where you are located so we can direct you toward a qualified person to fit/chamber your barrel for you.

im in pensacola ,fl doing machine work is no big deal for me . im a welder - machinist by trade BUT not for guns lol

I have a shaw that is chambered in 7mm08 and it is one of the most accurate barrels I have owned. I would call it a hummer. I have seen several with very rough chambers in the shoulder area. I would say it depends on what you want to do with it. Rebarrel an old hunting gun? Go for it. A gun where accuracy is the most critical component, Not so much.

anyone use er shaw barrels? are thay worth a crap. im on kinda a tight budget but have a tikka t3 in 308 id love to use the action for a build. because its so smooth and a great trigger. i know a mcmillan stock is about 600 bucks, but what is a good barrel at fair price in 243 ? wonder if anyone would make one threaded and chambered

less cost does not = less performance. I've seen excellent reviews on their barrels. But I must admit when faced with the same choice for the same reasons, I went with the premium barrel. In my case a Krieger.

i have installed a few ER shaws "260's" for some friends... was not impressed... the "lapped bore" looked like a factory savage, yet both shot quite well, i would never buy one....

I also have one on 7-08.
Depends on how "accurate" you're looking to be...
Mine's about a 3/4 minute barrel. For the $$, I'd say it's a good value- and mine still shoots better than I can- for now.
You want half-minute or better? Pay more as mentioned above.

When I get to the point where that extra 1/4 minute or so is making that difference at 1000 yards- rather than my wind calls- I'll move "up".

I have an ERShaw, .223, 1/12" twisted 24" barrel and cant get it to shoot any of my loads over .530" @ 100 yds. Darn thing just keeps the bullets in a nice small group.
I went & bought another for a backup barrel.

I have an ER Shaw on my Model 70 .308, and most of my groups are under 1moa, from prone, no bag just bipod. Through load development, ive been able to get one hole clover leafs , and get consistent minute of man hits on steel out to 650yds. Its the only custom barrel I have experience with, but I would say its at least not a bad money/quality compromise.

My first build was an ER shaw 7mm barrel, I have learned a ton since then. It shot well enough but getting into Krieger, Benchmark (recent), and Rocks I wont ever look back.

From an accounting perspective:

Ammo is expensive. You dont get the bullets back. . .

Whats your time worth?
Fuel?
Incidentals that go into this hobby?

Offset those costs to the price of a premium barrel.

Do your own math. See how it plays out.

C.

I twisted a Adams & Bennett tube on a mauser action and it was a tack driver. Would I buy another for a custom build? Hell no. Our preference is Rock Creek, but there are many other quality tubes available. You can send your action to Rock and they'll thread it and install/headspace it to your action.

Don't gamble on a cheap tube.

im in pensacola ,fl doing machine work is no big deal for me . im a welder - machinist by trade BUT not for guns lol

Its not hard brother. Turning barrels is a lot easier than any part Ive machined outside the gun industry. You can do it, and the satisfaction you will get is worth more than the money you will save. Ive had great Shaw barrels and some mediocre ones. But you cant send it back once you spin it, so I go with any of the higher end ones.

I twisted a Adams & Bennett tube on a mauser action and it was a tack driver. Would I buy another for a custom build? Hell no. Our preference is Rock Creek, but there are many other quality tubes available. You can send your action to Rock and they'll thread it and install/headspace it to your action.

Don't gamble on a cheap tube.

I can't stop staring at your avatar! Guess I am a pervert! lol

That makes two of us. I have had 2 Shaw barrels in the past, they were ok for hunting rifles. If it's precision you want then save up and get a top of the line tube, money well spent. MM

Really had a hard time getting my last twenty six deer to run past 23 +/- yards after my ER Shaw barrel sent a .35 Whelen 200 grainer into their chest. Maybe a better barrel will help me get past that problem. Ciao. FNP

IMO ER Shaw barrels are a "Medium Tier" barrel. Usually better than the run of the mill mass produced barrel but not up to the quality and consistency of a Top Tier custom barrel maker. I would rate ER Shaw with Wilson Barrels and Green Mountain Barrels.

What you're paying for in a Top Tier maker is putting the odds in your favor of getting a barrel that will be a shooter. I'm sure there are ER Shaw barrels that will hold 0.5 MOA, but they are probably the exception, rather than the rule. And if it doesn't, what recourse do you have with ER Shaw........ none because I'm sure it's still within their acceptable accuracy range. Once you tally up all the costs and time of fitting a barrel blank and load development, the money saved isn't worth the gamble. People want a sure thing.

That said, I have to admit that I did chamber and spin on a Adams & Bennett $39 barrel to a M700 action. I knew it was a total gamble and the odds were against me. I didn't expect much but was shocked to find it was a shooter. Consistent 3/4 moa from a light sporter contour. Haven't pressed my luck since...

Last edited: