• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ever Wonder Why USPS is Going Broke?

nso123

High Speed Steel Stinger
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Tennessee
So, I place an order of bullets from my preferred supplier who ships in flat rate USPS boxes. The business has figured out the most economical way of shipping and is able to put 69 pounds of bullets in each box. They then tape the outside of the box to reinforce it sine we all know USPS is not gentle when they handle packages. After they refuse to deliver them to my house (a whole other story), my wife runs by to grab the boxes. They inform her that she needs to pay an additional $37 per box due to insufficient postage. Apparently, the USPS flat rate boxes are not allowed to have tape all over them because it goes against the “spirit” of flat rate shipping per my later conversation with the Postmaster. I asked if the box dimensions had been changed to which he answered no. I asked if it was overweight to which he answered no. Then why won’t you honor the flat rate box? It has tape on it. This bullet company has packed the boxes the same for the last 5 years and I have never had a problem. So, what do these assholes do? They notify his post office that the boxes are in violation and now they will not accept any reinforced boxes from him. That is what we have come to in this country. Now we know why they are going broke. They have spent hours today to try and avoid honoring their rates, and are willing to send the packages back instead of just delivering them.

I thought it was because congress made them debt finance their pensions after the fact...

I always reinforce my packages, the automated sorting machines have been known to rip them open from time to time.

So, you mean someone is obviously gaming the system by shoving more shit into a box than they should.......and you’re mad USPS isn’t allowing it?

Let’s cut the shit. The real reason there’s a ton of tape on it, is because they showed 70lbs of shit in there that would others be busting out the cardboard.

69 pounds of bullets in each box. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Holly shit.
images.png

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
So, you mean someone is obviously gaming the system by shoving more shit into a box than they should.......and you’re mad USPS isn’t allowing it?

Let’s cut the shit. The real reason there’s a ton of tape on it, is because they showed 70lbs of shit in there that would others be busting out the cardboard.
USPS puts the weight restriction on the box. Sounds like the shipper just needs to plastic wrap the stuff inside.

I don’t see how they can try to collect additional shipping when they already accepted, and shipped, the shipment?

States for flat rate shipping boxes CONUS max 70lbs, how is that gaming the system........

Another thought. How are you supposed to close the damn box at all if you can’t put tape on it?

Reactions: FishinGuns
And as already stated, you HAVE to tape the box shut......what are you going to do, not tape it shut.....or do you know of a new magical way of getting it to stay closed on it own.....

You people should do your homework before you comment or just stfu.....

You mean the clearly stated in writing where the Post Office can determine if flat rate is being misused and can require “postage due” for shipping?

You’re right, you should do your homework.

Also that tape can only be used to reinforce the seams. Not to keep the entire box from busting open. I haven’t seen the box obviously, but the description implies it’s likely taped more than just the seams.

Conversely, I feel a little gamed when I send a pair of waders from Seattle to Simms in Bozeman via USPS Priority, Large, Flat Rate box/10'ish pounds and it takes 5 business days. This, as opposed to the two days they advertise. $28'ish bucks.

And, yes, the max advertised weight limit is indeed, 70 pounds.

Anyone with a basic understanding of incentives and economics can answer this. If it’s a department that is subsidized by tax money in any way they don’t have any real incentive(profit/loss mechanism) to be a real business

" if it fits it ships" If I recall correctly.

If you put 70lbs of anything in a cardboard box and send it through the mail, you are going to need to reinforce the box, doesn't matter how big the box is or how much you pay for shipping.

Sounds like USPS just doesn't want to ship heavy stuff because they are lazy fucks and now they are trying to find ways around their own policies

Last edited:
USPS did the math and figured they were ok with the weight and dimensions. I'm sure they had people do studies on how much weight could be shoved in to that box of specific dimensions. More times than not, they are making money on flat rate shipping.

You bullet manufacturer can just start reinforcing the inside of the box from now on.

" if it fits it ships" If I recall correctly.

If you put 70lbs of anything in a cardboard box and send it through the mail, you are going to need to reinforce the box, doesn't matter how big the box is or how much you pay for shipping.

Sounds like UPSP just doesn't want to ship heavy stuff because they are lazy fucks and now they are trying to find ways around their own policies

Except that is just a sales pitch and has limits. It’s written in their policy.

It can not distort the box. Shipping 69lbs of bullets is gonna be pretty hard to to not distort the box without reinforcing it unless it’s in its own rigid container. There is also policy for generally abusing the flat rate system.

Along with the reinforcing the seams only being allowed, it’s pretty easy for them to make a judgment call. If someone was sending a 2lb pair of flip flops, and taped shit out of the box......it’s reasonable to assume they didn’t do it to keep the flip flops from bulging or breaking the box.

But when you send something loose like say 69lbs of bullets. And you tape the shit out of it, it’s also reasonable (depending how the box and bullets look) that the taping was done to keep the box from bulging and distorting.

I'm lost.

From what I read, its still <70lbs and the demensions stayed the same even with all of the tape?

How are you supposed to close the box or are you somehow only allowed 1 piece of tape?

Whats the 'spirit' of flat rate, and how is a box within the demensions and weight not in that 'spirit'?

What am I missing?

Your supplier could fill the boxes with spray foam and then pour the bullets in before it sets up.
I have received packages of this type and they are quite secure. No need for extra tape. The asshole who sent them shall remain nameless.

View attachment 7456827
Train.
Wreck.

Both of you..... :rolleyes:

They are going broke because people are doing this. Not because they won’t allow it now.
I should rename this post to “entitled generation strikes again.”

Change the title to what you like. Do they say 70 pounds max? As it turns out it’s an anti gun postmaster. This came out after the shipper pushed the issue today. Sounds like you could use a little lesson in maximizing your dollars since this would change the shipping cost from $15.05 to $52.05. This postmaster has now been overruled and the packages will be delivered tomorrow.

I'm lost.

From what I read, its still <70lbs and the demensions stayed the same even with all of the tape?

How are you supposed to close the box or are you somehow only allowed 1 piece of tape?

Whats the 'spirit' of flat rate, and how is a box within the demensions and weight not in that 'spirit'?

What am I missing?
When you get a response, please forward a copy of the memo to me........

Hi,

Was the box taped looking like these pants
View attachment 7456825

OR this shirt
View attachment 7456824

Sincerely,
Theis

The funny thing about this is, if you read the regulations carefully, you can actually make the box look like the bottom picture and all is well. You just can’t use too much tape. It says bulges are not a problem as long as parts don’t hang out.

Reactions: deersniper
I'm lost.

What am I missing?
The anti gun postmaster admitted to me that the boxes were dimensionally unchanged and the packages were not over 70 pounds. His words were consistently that shipping up to the weight limit and reinforcing the box was against the spirit of flat rate boxes.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Also that tape can only be used to reinforce the seams. Not to keep the entire box from busting open. I haven’t seen the box obviously, but the description implies it’s likely taped more than just the seams.
You are not right on this one, or are you the postmaster in question?

I ship things in flat rate bubble packs and tape the outsides four ways to keep things from being damaged as they are thrown across the depot by the sorters. I use clear packing tape and have never had an issue. It sounds to me like you are just the kind of hard ass to make an issue like this.

Why going broke? One reason is they mishandle packages. I have two orders that were handoffs from UPS, then after a week or so they send packages to incorrect small town post office, back to the big post office, and then to correct location...I hope! they aren’t here yet! What a waste of time and money.
Going on over two weeks now. So if you need it anytime soon don’t use USPS...

OP the problem relates to shipping something that is insuffciently packaged.

The limits are very high so you can ship books and paperwork, etc...stuff that is not at risk of destroying the box. ITs not designed to ship 70# of ball bearings or loose nuts and bolts or rocks etc.

USPS will honor the weight on FRBs if you are professional about how you pack stuff. The solution is to put a 1/4 plywood sheet around your block of stuff. Then put it inside the box. The its just fine and no problems...

So tell your guy to pack the suff better :)
(and offer to pay $5 for handling or whatever)

OP the problem relates to shipping something that is insuffciently packaged.

The limits are very high so you can ship books and paperwork, etc...stuff that is not at risk of destroying the box. ITs not designed to ship 70# of ball bearings or loose nuts and bolts or rocks etc.

USPS will honor the weight on FRBs if you are professional about how you pack stuff. The solution is to put a 1/4 plywood sheet around your block of stuff. Then put it inside the box. The its just fine and no problems...

So tell your guy to pack the suff better :)
(and offer to pay $5 for handling or whatever)
The package contains 4 smaller boxes of bullets that are sealed and padded. Nothing in the package is loose or rolling around. I am not sure how much better they could be packed.

Reactions: deersniper
Does it say in their rules that you can't use tape? If so I missed that.
It is a 70 lb. box for an advertised flat rate.
I have shipped heavy things in those boxes and taped the hell out of them and never had a problem.
It should not matter if it is bullets or bolts as long as it doesn't exceed 70 lbs.

If they, the USPS, doesn't want to honor their advertising they shouldn't put it out there.

Snowflake delivery person was brawn compromised. So, pitch a bitch to who she's partin' out the pussy to.

I'm siding with the snowflake.

If they wanted a lower weight limit they would lower the 70lbs it maxes out at now.
The whole purpose of the flat rate is to ship heavier packages. If you have something lighter then use standard packaging.

The package contains 4 smaller boxes of bullets that are sealed and padded. Nothing in the package is loose or rolling around. I am not sure how much better they could be packed.

basically think of the FRB as gift wrap,
not as protection or packaging
pack your shit in hard-sided box/crate
then gift wrap it in USPS dressing,
to qualify for cheap postage.

when you have 70# of stuff,
your FRB is about as useful as an envelope
for protection...

Not trying to say it didn't work in the past,
but with allof the pandemic/politics, etc
going on you need to up your game,
and not blame others.

good luck, hope this tip helps you
in the future. (y)

But seriously, they are going out of business, because they are a federal entity and dont look to save money in any way shape or form

Private businesses adapt and overcome, or they go out of business.

However government backed businesses dont adapt and become a money pit....

Doc

This.

100℅

Crybabies gotta cry when they can't fuck someone over.

That postmaster was way nicer than I would have been. Kudos to that person for not calling you what you are.

This.

100℅

Crybabies gotta cry when they can't fuck someone over.

That postmaster was way nicer than I would have been. Kudos to that person for not calling you what you are.
So I am supposed to bend over for the postmaster when I am the receiver of a package that fits their shipping information? I didn’t ship the package. So, yes, I am chapped that they wanted to charge me to pick my packages up. They set their rules. If they don’t want 70 pounds in the box then make the limit 50, or 40, or 20. Do you drive under the speed limit on the interstate, or do you make use of the rules that allow you to go the posted limit? For the record, the main post office overruled their little activist postmaster and the packages will be getting delivered tomorrow.

Your supplier could fill the boxes with spray foam and then pour the bullets in before it sets up.
I have received packages of this type and they are quite secure. No need for extra tape. The asshole who sent them shall remain nameless.

View attachment 7456827
BLACK VELVET...the horror!!