• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Exercise Bikes

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    Quick back story. I was rear ended 2 years ago and after seeing the doc, they said I have degenerative disk bulging, which is supposedly a genetic deal, and usualy comes out later in life. But as part of the accident, it triggered it a bit early for me, as I am only 23. It flairs up here and there, and the doc said the best thing to do is strengthen the core. I have tried running, and it has been working, but I have been looking at excersize bikes as well for the colder evenings
    laugh.gif
    . Does anyone have any tips on what to look for in one, or a brand/ certain bike you'd reccommend? Thanks ahead of time!

Re: Exercise Bikes

Not real sure on exercise bike, but a good one will cost more than a gym membership will for a couple of years. Try a couple of local gyms and see what they are using. Try a spin class if you can.

I've always hated stationary exercise. I would personally point you towards a nice bicycle, and a good trainer. That way you can still get your exercise inside on those cold evenings and if you end up liking it enough you could also ride it outside for exercise as well. Exercise Bikes just don't do it for me unless I have no other option. Once you have gotten used to a bike fitted specifically for your body, the fit of a typical exercise bike just doesn't come close to comparing... But I've been into riding hard for about 6 years now, both road bike in the beginning, and mountain bike these last couple years. But if you're set on an exercise bike then all I can really give advice on is to not get a recumbent bike. I've never seen a single soul at the gym use one and actually put any effort into it. I think it's because they allow a more relaxed position which makes it easy to lose interest in giving it any effort. My opinion, get a real bike, get it properly fitted to you, and pick up a trainer for inside use. I would take that over a stationary exercise bike any day, FWIW.

Terror hit it spot on. Decent stationary bikes are expensive and they are still pretty crappy. They never fit correctly, the seats are horrible, and they just don't feel right. They also take up a fair amount of space and they aren't easily moved around.

You can get a good bike (fitted from a shop) and a fluid or magnetic trainer for what what you would wind up spending on a stationary trainer. You would then have the ability to ride outside if you chose to plus they just feel more natural.

100% agree with he two above! A decent road role will cost roughly $1000.00 bucks. What I found was anything below a 1000 you would be upgrading shortly if you enjoyed riding. If you hate it, it will be easier to sell with better components.

250 will get a nice indoor trainer for the winter crappy days. as for spring and summer, hitting the road for a two hour ride is great. Not sure but allot of bike shops have organized rides on Saturday and Sunday. Jump on with a group for some fun.

I used to train hard and run but the wear and tear on the body was getting a little much. You see guys and gals in their 60's enjoying road biking still.

Go to a shop that will do a fitting with a purchase of a bike. It is important and much more enjoyable if the bike fits right! When I started I thought a bike was a bike, but wow is that not the case!

Performance bikes has a lot of last years models on sale that can be had for a good price.

U should seriously consider a recumbent bike of ran exercyle or for the road.
    It will be far more comfortable for you, and if U R oon the road, you will be more aerodynamic than on a conventional bike "wedgie."
    Check out
    http://www.recumbentjournal.com/

I would say a decent bike and rollers instead of a stationary trainer. Balancing on rollers will more closely mimic riding on the road. Your core tends to go to sleep on a trainer that does the balancing for you.

Hanging knees to elbows is nice accessory for abz work.

For indoor use I would get a good bike and nice fluid trainer (Cycleops II or Kurt Kinetics) and you will be set. Make sure that you get professionally fit to make sure you have the bike dialed to you.

I'll add another vote for a good bicycle + stationary trainer. If you keep an eye on the local classifieds, you can find a perfectly adequate road bike for well less than $500, and a stationary trainer for less than $100. You don't want to be stuck indoors as we roll into the summertime months!

Note that riding a stationary bike is effective at improving cardio fitness and brings some significant benefit to lower-body conditioning as well, but I don't believe that it is effective in creating a balanced workout for your core. For that, find a personal trainer that is familiar with your particular type of back injury, and work on creating a workout plan. The good news is that the core is typically pretty easy to train without a lot of fancy equipment; a mat, inflatable ball, your existing furniture, and some modest weight (can be as simple as a couple of water jugs) will typically get the job done. The critical thing here is to avoid aggravating your injury, which is why I'd strongly advise getting professional advice when setting up your routine.

Good luck!