• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EXPENSIVE SCOPES!!!!!

LSOSGT1109

Demoted by the change
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
London, KY
Okay so I need to bitch a little. I've been thinking about getting a high end scope such as a USO or Schmidt and Bender. I have a VXIII tactical and a MK4 PR tactical and these seem to be pretty decent scopes but I've been wanting one of the best. My favorite is the new S&B Marine scout sniper scope. I found one on gunbroker.com for $2899! That's 3 THOUSAND dollars! I'm mean shit, how much can it cost to build one of these scopes, they have to be making a huge proffit! Do you all really think that there is a scope worth $3000? And is a Schmidt and Bender worth $2000 more than a Leupold MK4? I really want one of these scopes but I just can't make myself justify spending a month's pay for a scope. Oh well just wanted to whine a little.

Re: EXPENSIVE SCOPES!!!!!

I have thought the exact same thing. It all comes down to your application. If you are just hunting and munching paper than maybe it isnt so critical and worth it but if your life or the life of a hostage depended in it then you would want the absolute best to eliminate as many factors that could affect shot placement as possible.

The way i see it, everything has a curve. At the start, the margin benefit for every dollar spent would be fairly high say from $200 to $1000. Once you hit that mark $1000 or whatever it may be, for every dollar spent, the marginal benefit would decline. Eg, the quality gained from a $200 scope to a $1200 would be huge! BUT from a $1200 to a $2200 scope will not be as great.

Again i think it comes down to your aplication. As for USO, i have never held one or used one but thousands if not millions swear by them. Just from what i have read, i think the greatest benefit in paying that much for USO is the customisation factor. I think it rocks that you can spec a scope to suit your needs and get it made special for you. Is that worth the money, To me it is to others maybe not, again, application.

Just my $0.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And is a Schmidt and Bender worth $2000 more than a Leupold MK4? </div></div>

Only you as the purchaser can answer that. Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

You also have to remember there are a few things to consider in scopes like the USO and S&B like the features you get from the scope like FFP, cyrstal clear glass and ruggedness. Are they worth the extra money? Like I said above only you can answer that for you. They are to me. Also remember, as far as the S&B goes, that the excahnge rate and dollar strength plays into it also.

I under stand the excellent glass and FFP but IOR has that for around 800 to 1200 dollars but I don't know about the ruggedness.

Then get an IOR if it has everything you want in a scope.

there is always pride of ownership....everyone that I know that has expensive glass....uses it....no safe queens !

Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a Zeiss scope. Have now spent big $$$ replacing all my cheap scopes can't use them anymore.

I'm sure the USO and S&B scopes are perfect but what about the IOR's? I've seen the posts about the quality control and customer service problems but supposedly that is fixed. Does anyone have any first hand experience, good, bad, or otherwise?

My USO's are worth every penny I spent on them - I will not buy another scope, other than Aimpoints for CQB.

SCL

I love my USO's. I can't see myself buying anything else for my rifles. My SN-4 worked real good for searching through haji's mud shack bazaar at night, which I might ad got real old after a while. I miss that stuff, back to the old job of BS and fixing stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is always pride of ownership....everyone that I know that has expensive glass....uses it....no safe queens ! </div></div>

+1

I got my 1st USO at ShotShow,best money I ever spent!!!!

To me the law of dimishing returns kicks in as described by Chubby on page one. I have two nightforce and love them. Do the S&B's have some better features? Yes, are they work another $1,700 to me? No.

However, if you do pony up the dough, I'm sure you will love it!

To borrow a quote from drag racing

How fast do you want to go?

How much money do you have?

As you enter into any serious pursuit, major gains can be had early on for minimal money. As you near the top, the ratio reverses itself.

The trick is to recognize early enough where you are headed before you spend twice as much "working up" than you would have on just buying the best up front.

OBTW, USO Rocks!!!!

Cheers, Doc

How much would a custom MkIV cost?
By this I mean; Custom reticle of choice, zero stops, BDC's if thats your thing, custom knobs of choice, color, objective size, tube size, side or bell objective adjustment or even fixed at your choice, occular of your choice...even your prescription, lit or unlit in your color choice.

USO offers all of these and more....can't remember them all.
I bet I can call John and order a BDC EREK knob for my .22LR marked up for 1000 yards if he thinks there is enough elevation in my current 30mm SN-3.

If someone makes your idea of the "perfect" scope for cheaper....you are crazy NOT to buy it.

"My" custom SN-3 is the best fucking scope out there, for me.

Thanks, John!

Quote;
"That's 3 THOUSAND dollars! I'm mean shit, how much can it cost to build one of these scopes, they have to be making a huge proffit! Do you all really think that there is a scope worth $3000? And is a Schmidt and Bender worth $2000 more than a Leupold MK4? I really want one of these scopes but I just can't make myself justify spending a month's pay for a scope. Oh well just wanted to whine a little."

I could never justify the $$$. There a a whole lotta scopes out ther for 1/3 of the $$ that will acheive the desired effect- the Leupold MK4. Nikon Tactical, and as much as I hate to say this, the IOR line, come o mind. My trashmaster MK4s have soldiered on without fail/hiccup. I personally would rather have more top-notch rifles with lowly Leupold MK4s than a couple of rifles with big $$$$$$ "high end" scopes.

When it comes to scopes, it's like anything optical. Glass isn't cheap or easy to make. I haven't seen optics I would call great on anything much below $1,000. Add in manufacturing costs for what really isn't a mass-produced product that must be hand crafted by skilled craftsmen and run through dozens of inspection and checks, and the costs can skyrocket fast. Add ruggedness, which is something that usually doesn't go hand in hand with optics and the price goes up more. Want repeatable, minutely accurate settings? Great depth of field, exit pupil, etc. How about a lifetime warranty? 17% tariff? Very weak dollar? Etc. etc.

I have a set of wine glasses by Schott. These are gorgeous, weigh nearly nothing, are literally unbelievably thin and elegant, yet more robust than many beer steins, and a set of 6 will run you $150. Some folks would say THAT is crazy. But, I like my wine. And these glasses will likely last a lifetime. Cheers.

WYK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And is a Schmidt and Bender worth $2000 more than a Leupold MK4? </div></div>

YES!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go BSA.......... </div></div>

Shit.. For real pursuits, Barska all the way!!!

Some folks prefer a PSO-P lovingly put together in Belarus tractor factory by former East German Trabant assemblers...
Where else you going to get Mil-spec under $150?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tioga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a Zeiss scope. Have now spent big $$$ replacing all my cheap scopes can't use them anymore. </div></div>

Same here, once youre out in the field and see the difference in clarity you get for your money it becomes hard to use cheaper optics. Same with firearms, I've become quite a gun snob over the past few years.
eek.gif

I look at it like this.

How much $$$$ do I have to spend?

Then I buy the best I can at that price point.

Now I am not a Sniper or play one of T.V. If I did, I would buy the best the world has to offer. Because my friendly target deserves that much at least.

Think about this,

If your wife was held in a hostage situation. Would you want the Sniper geared up with a basic SWS or a state of the art SWS?

I would go with the GAP/S&B SWS myself. But I am not a sloted Sniper so I run GAP and Leupold.

John

A good scope will last forever unless you do something stupid like run it over. It will pay off every time you look through the optic, spot for your partner, and pull the trigger.

In 10 years, if you're a shooter and not a poser, you'll spend over $20k in ammunition and barrels, and another $20k+ in training, travel, and match fees.

Spending a little more to get a scope that offers superlative performance and won't let you down is just protecting the rest of that investment.

But run a shitty scope if you want to, it's your money.

PS- The rear housing of an IOR once came loose in my hand while I was adjusting the magnification. It's owner then said, paraphrased, "Oh, getting a replacement is not a problem."

I heard a wise shooters say, "I would rather have a good rifle fitted with and superb optics than a superb rifle with good optics".

But $3000 for a S&B is too steep for my kind of plinking, I'm a
Loopy fan but have a USO on my best stick. It ain't for sale.

Seems to me besides reliability the top tier scopes shine at long range resolution. If you get the opportunity compare a target at 600 yards of further. If you don't see the difference you don't need it.

KSP446,

What I'm reading here is a realization that I came to a few years ago. I love my Savage 12FV with an older Tasco World Class attached to it. It is, on paper, the best rifle/scope/load I have come up with for 100 yds. But, I find that even though I can separate hairs with it at 300 yds it doesn't come close to the Leupold 6.5-20 that I have on my Seven. What shows to me is there is a difference. Would I trust the seven or the Savage? Would I trust the scope on either if someones life was on the line at 275 yds? I found I could easily trust the seven and the Leupold but not so much the Savage and the Tasco.

Well I changed scopes on the Savage and I trust the rifle. I didn't trust the optics on what I traded to the seven. So, I went back to the original.

My lesson in that was the best optics you can get will get you through. A good rifle and scope have to be proven at the longest range you will shoot them. Once the rifle or the scope becomes a known hitter for you then you can rotate the best to the best. But it goes to show that when you buy known quality in what you do, you will get results. The best you can buy for what you pay will accomplish what you have set out to get. -good luck.

P.S. don't be fooled by high price...find the best.

If I had the money I would own the best.
I think the cost reflects how much time goes into each scope as well as the quality of construction and parts(like mentioned).

My experience with having my burris signature 8-32 go back twice for the same problem is an example of quality control issues and time spent building it
frown.gif
.You get what you pay for,And sometimes you don't.I would expect an accurate and good quality scope for $500 bucks!!!
For $3000,I would expect an EXCELLENT,AWESOME piece of glass that I would look through all day long!I would probably Take it off my rifle when not shooting, and carry it with me every were I go
grin.gif
I am very happy with my burris(now it was replaced).The difference is very clear to me now...I can see 22 cal holes very clearly now at 100 yards using 8X.Before It was replaced,(from A smudged internal lense that was not corrected properly)I had to increase the power on it to see anything..When I look through it now everything is very detailed were before I struggled to see things clearly(I guess munged up lenses could do that).
I'm sure it does not compare to the other scopes mentioned here(NF,USO,Z,etc) but I am very satisfied with what I can see and how it tracks..I have not used it at 600 and beyond,But I used the smudgy one at 600 and had fun.I can't wait to get back out to see what I can see.

QUESTION!
How do your scopes hold up to temp changes as far as 600+ yard POI change?How about scope and rifle combination in general?
Example would be shooting in the morning cold here in Maine,Then the afternoon starts rolling around and the rifle is getting warm from the sun and temp increase.

I experienced about a 10 inch shift in POI to the right at 600 yards one day when going from cold morning to afternoon sun and heat baking on my rifle.The groups just kinda moved to the right.I was using the same ammo BTW but that was also out in the elements.
I would expect this BTW,I know metal changes with temp,I was just wondering others experience with this and if they had more or less of this effect.

Those sig selects can be some pretty good scopes! Had an 8x32 that performed awesome! My only problem with the high end optics is they are just way out of reach for most shooters. I will by a S&B one day... Just having a hard time seeing a disposable $3K on my budget, at least in the near future! These scopes should also carry a pretty significant LEO/Mil discount. They should not be out of reach for the folks who need them most. Even if it means a higher price for the recreational/competitive shooter....

If you were to ask me(and ya didn't), I would say a SS is about 30% of a USO. The glass only works well in good light. In great light, I wouldn't call it sharp, only decent. The DOF at infinity suffers compared to most other fixed power scopes. The turret adjustments are hardly tactile or audible compared to even a $180 Bushnell tactical.

The settings are repeatable, and the scope can take a beating that would destroy virtually all other scopes in it's price range - that is the buying point. It is worth considering another $400 or so for a used Leupold m3-m1 if you do not shoot in perfect light, or may use the scope in a dynamic situation where a large depth of field is required.

WYK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arcangel8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey a super sniper is a great scope and in my opinion 99% as good as a S&M or uso. lIke many things in life its the final 1 percent that puts you over the top. winning or losing. or even life or death. The best dont come easy or cheap.

Semper FI. </div></div>

Bucky,

Your load might be getting faster as it gets warmer, and the atmosphere changes density. To confirm if it's the down-range ballistics or your rifle's/scope's zero changing, shoot @ 100 yards.

It’s all relative. Some people are happy with a Tasco that’s great, some are happy with a Leupold even better and some only want SB and such. I am a gear whore but I use them and also I am smart enough to realize that I don’t NEED a USO/SB because I shoot at the range and a comp here and there, they are just nice to have but I can do with a fixed 10x as well. Over half of the people who own these scopes never use them the proper way or even know how to use them; kind of like a guy buying a Porsche 911 Turbo to impress people and never takes it out to a track or races the damn thing (when I had one I drove the piss out of it!)... I know a few people who have safe queens and worry about scratches on their gear! No problem with that as long as they are happy. I have owned them all and trying to scale down to lighter/smaller scopes/rifles no need to impress anyone at the range with a million knobs. I think that the most expensive scope is not necessarily the best for everyone.

BTW: the marines are paying $1670 for their SB, the retail markup is HUGE.

(Quote)
"BTW: the marines are paying $1670 for their SB, the retail markup is HUGE."

WoW!!

a High Price isnt expensive when your talking about the quality the USO/S&B scopes have. You can buy a scope at half the price ,but what happens when your cheap scope takes a Sh*t?....you gotta go get another one & Where's the value in that?''

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Quote)
"BTW: the marines are paying $1670 for their SB, the retail markup is HUGE."

WoW!! </div></div>

I bet if you call them and order 500ish of them you too would get a favorable discount.

Julian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 5OO'ish S&B GroupBuy? </div></div>

Sign me up!
smile.gif

Julian

Thanks,Zak Smith.That is good basic advice I did not think of
smile.gif

If we were all rich,We would all own the best.
I do agree that alot of stuff is usually bought for impression purposes,But then again alot of people know exactly what there buying and why(I'll have to start saving for my next rig for when my child turns 18,Thats in about 18 years and 3 1/2 months
grin.gif
)...
Buying stuff because its cool got old a long time ago for me.I have to be very carefull on every purchase I make.I will learn more doing that,and I will get alot more out of everything I have as well.

I was wondering if anybody would go in on a group buy of 5,000,000 S&B/USO scopes?.
That way I can afford one now LOL! .

I agree that the S&B's and USO'S are the best of the best and if I was using my stick to save lives then I would sell a kidney to buy one if I had to. But for the type of shooting that I do and probably most other people on her do, I just don't think I can justify dropping that kind of coin. I think I'll just stick with my Leupy's and possibly and IOR or two.

Discussions/topics of this nature always fascinate me. In some ways it is truly an exercise in pure rhetoric because the plain fact is that S&B's and USO's are always going to be high-priced scopes. More importantly, they are still going to continue to be sold and purchased at the high prices because to those who purchase them they ARE worth it.

Reminds me of a discussion amongst friends wherein one person opined that he paid X dollars for Y item. Another remarked that he would never pay that much for that particular item (or one like it). The first replied with a truly memorable quote: "for those that understand, no explanation is necessary; for those that don't, no explanation will suffice."

I believe that is the way with premium glass and long range shooting. For those that regularly exercise their skills beyond 600 yards (and especially those that do so as their job in life/death situations) quantum leap differences in the quality of different optics are not only evident, but can actually be capitalized upon by those shooters. For the rest of us, maybe not so.

Still, it makes for a good read.

So in response to the questions posed - are S&B's and USO's really worth it? Most likely yes, and maybe someday I'll be able to tell you for sure.

DMann,A perfect example of that would be looking at our military equipment compared to other countries.
We do have the best IMO(and only my impressions).I do not serve in the military but from what I have seen I would think we are on TOP right now.
smile.gif

A top-of-the-line scope like an S&B or a U.S.O. is approximately in the same price class as a first-class custom rifle from G.A. Precision or Terry Cross.

So, you've doubled your investment in that rifle.

If your intent is to achieve excellence with a tactical rifle, that's one less variable to worry about in the pursuit of your goal.

Just as a ball-park estimate, to reach a level of excellence with that rifle will require the expenditure of something in the vicinity of 10,000 rounds of ammunition.

Even if you reload, that's a minimum of $3000 for ammunition, closer to $5000 or more, if you don't reload.

So, $2-3K for a scope doesn't seem outrageous to me.

In addition, the feature set I require, primarily FFP reticles, are available only in higher-priced scopes or in scopes with less-than-sterling reputations for reliability.

Shooting is actually not that expensive a hobby. If you don't believe me, go price a bass boat.

My preference is to buy something once, and have something that will serve me for a long time.

I am impressed by people's skill with the gear they have, not with the price of the gear - but my experience has been that it's easier to achieve superior levels of skill with better gear.

The best kit is benign; it's just there and does its job. Lets you concentrate on the important stuff, which for some means saving their own ass in the process of completing their mission.

If lupy ever gets smart enough to match their clicks to their reticles on the 16X Mark IV I'd buy one as for $1100 (dealer with shipping) its a pretty good scope for the money. Until then I'll stick with a SS for a bargain tough as nails functional scope.

The middle ground is fertile and there for the taking - that is a good mid-power variable, FFP, with knobs matching the reticle and some reticle choices. Just a question of who will step up when.

I am with NineHotel myself. I will never buy a SFP scope. I hate that, I use the retical scale way to much for measuring and end up calling wrong measurements with SFP everytime I have used one.
A great scope is one that does what you want and need. Is kinda simple like that with most everything.
An '84 3/4ton pickup is an excellent vehicle for me. Others would call it a POS.
Are the S&B's worth the $3000 price tag. I'ld rather not use one and find out they are
wink.gif
3 grand is alot of $$ for me when a SS does what I need it to do for now.

Note also that you can buy an ST-10 with the reticle of your choice and knobs of your choice with an ERGO obj and still be in the price range of the fixed Mark IVs. Any way you look at it, higher end or more reasonably priced, USO offers a lot to the operator and weekend paper warrior alike. My ST-10 10X with #1 tenth mil knobs, mil dot reticle, and ELP cost me under a grand brand new. Less than a Mark IV.

If you are on the edge between say a Leupy or USO...
Take a minute and call John @ USO. Just the way you are treated as a potential customer will prob push you into the USO. I had a Leupy 8.5x25 MIV. Never had any problems at all and liked the scope. Got on the USO website and read up. Then the fatal mistake....I talked to them. I have now sold my Leupy and I am awaiting the arrival of my USO. Cant tell you how top notch the people at USO are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuckyTheBrewer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMann,A perfect example of that would be looking at our military equipment compared to other countries.
We do have the best IMO(and only my impressions).I do not serve in the military but from what I have seen I would think we are on TOP right now.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Not so much. The marines have got their shit together in the past few years, before they had hunting rifles with heavy tubes and so-so glass. Almost every other country have been using a magazine system, the marines only got one this year. There are over 100 countries who use the AI with SB glass on top, i would say all of them are ahead even today.

having the confidence in your gear is worth every penny. I for some reason kill scopes and i will be damn if i waste my money on another (insert name here) lower end scope.

Here is how i justify my $$$$ scopes $$$$

How much do you pay to go hunting every year? I know i spend 1100 just to get to Alaska then 550+ for tags and i hunt with my dad, so no guide. 1500$/year for one hunt. Then i have several more hunts that i go on close by.

How about a competition (some of us are serious about it)
ASC this year wasnt cheap after i get a flight, car, place to stay and pay entry fees.

Lets assume your target shot back....

Whats it worth to know your equipment is top notch and not likely to have a problem when you need it most? realize too that not everything is 100%, but the probability of a failure goes waaaay down.

If you are a weekend plinker it probably doesnt mater if you need your equipment to work no mater what. Thats for you to decide.

If you have a 10$ head buy a 10$ helmet...

confidence is priceless...

I purchased my burris signature on impression.If I could do it over again I would purchase FFP type scope as well.
I am very happy with what I have however,And will make the most of it.
But that is what happens when you don't know all the facts when you make a purchase.I consider myself lucky because I am happy with my scope.
I just need to make sure I never look through one of the best ones out there unless I am ready to fork over the money for one.

Loongshot: I've long argued that having the Precision Weapon Shop at Quantico produce the M40 series is not cost effective. I'm sure that when you factor in the cost of supporting the personnel and capital investment involved in building those, the Corps would have been much better off to have purchased Accuracy Internationals.

However, as we used to say, there are three ways to do something: the right way, the wrong way, and the Marine way.